PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon

birtikidis
05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Per Twitter
"I've made the transition to Left Guard. I like it. It's just a matter of learning the verbage"

birtikidis
05-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Also per Twitter Ed Bouchette
"Move of Colon to LG paves way fro both #steelers rookie OL to start, Adams at LT, DeCastro at RG"

calmkiller
05-16-2012, 03:01 PM
But can he play Center?

Sugar
05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
But can he play Center?

Hopefully, he'll never need to! ;)

grotonsteel
05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
This move is surprising. Why this sudden change even before Training Camp?

Steelers fan were saying Colon is an OG in NFL and Steelers O-Line coach never thought so. And now they move him to LG. Also shouldn't LG be more atheletic? Willie Colon is naturally fit for RG position. A mauler.

Steelers o-line:
Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-J Scott/Mike Adams

My Steelers O-line would be:
Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert

Shawn
05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Many of us have been suggesting this for years. It makes sense.

birtikidis
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM
you're close groton, but Ed seems to think Adams will be the LT

calmkiller
The line will be Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert and I like it.

birtikidis
and Ed isn't the only one saying that it'll be Adams at LT

steelblood
05-16-2012, 04:06 PM
A rookie left tackle is quite a risk, imho (especially when he was inconsistent in college). Hopefully, it works out...or Ben may have a short season.

BigRob
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
A rookie left tackle is quite a risk, imho (especially when he was inconsistent in college). Hopefully, it works out...or Ben may have a short season.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Mike Adams can be every bit as good as Starks was at LT last year right now. So why not start him at his natural position and let Gilbert learn to become dominant at RT. I actually see Colon being possibly dominant at guard if he can stay healthy.

SteelBucks
05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
you're close groton, but Ed seems to think Adams will be the LT

Tomlin said Adams will "begin" at LT since he played there in college. Let's hope things work out and he stays there. Two rookies starting on the OL would normally scare me but they can't be any worse than what we've seen for the past couple of seasons.

A healthy Colon is an immediate upgrade at LG over Kemo. I like it.......

birtikidis
05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
what scares me is that 3/5 of our offensive line will be starting at positions that they've never played in the NFL before.
Adams-rook
Colon-new to guard
DeCastro- Rook

I'd feel a lot better if they just benched Colon and left one of the guys from last year at guard.

Flasteel
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Steelers fan were saying Colon is an OG in NFL and Steelers O-Line coach never thought so. And now they move him to LG. Also shouldn't LG be more atheletic? Willie Colon is naturally fit for RG position. A mauler.

Steelers o-line:

At first blush, this is exactly what I thought. But if Colon can demonstrate the ability to pull and help out Adams in pass pro, then all it means is we'll be able to run a lot more to the weak-side...balancing our ability to attack both sides of the field.

We've got a couple of big question marks on the left side with a rookie tackle and someone who's never played the position at guard. If both can come through and we stay healthy, this will become a dream offense.

Snatch98
05-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Are you kidding? We had Scott over there for a while. Adams was projected as a first round pick and fell because of the weed. There have been several first round tackles that came in and started as rookies across the league. I've read several times Adams has the tools to be better than Kalil and I'm sure everyone expects Kalil to start. I'm not at all worried about Adams starting at either tackle. Man this line is going to be vastly improved.

pfelix73
05-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm skeptical. And will withhold on further comment until I actually see it in camp and in pre season games. I would think alot has to be worked out in camp........

pfelix73
05-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Are you kidding? We had Scott over there for a while. Adams was projected as a first round pick and fell because of the weed. There have been several first round tackles that came in and started as rookies across the league. I've read several times Adams has the tools to be better than Kalil and I'm sure everyone expects Kalil to start. I'm not at all worried about Adams starting at either tackle. Man this line is going to be vastly improved.

Hope you are not disappointed the 1st time Ben goes down.....People think that with 2 new rooks, we're not gonna have our QB ever get sacked.... Adams isn't ready to start at LT. IMO. We'll see when camp comes...

8467thekraken
05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
I feel like there is some need for Colon to be in the starting lineup-SOMEWHERE-.

I don't feel that way. I don't trust him health wise. We havent been able to rely on him for two years now. For continuitys sake, I hope someone else earns that LG job. Even Flozell's play made us forget about Colon a couple seasons ago. And that dude was 35 or somethin'. I had no yearning for him last year when Gilbert had to take over. Kid did alright considering.

Colon simply has been a non-factor for a significant reason(injury) for too long a time for me to need him as a starter.
If he wins it outright, then I will go through the season just waiting for a wheel or tie-rod to go. Praying the whole time that it doesnt happen.

Thanks for the extra stress.

I would like: Adams/Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DDC - Gilbert/Adams

I know Colon is buds with Ben, but seriously!!!!
Is Colon the Teams love child as well???!!!!

SteelBucks
05-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Hope you are not disappointed the 1st time Ben goes down.....People think that with 2 new rooks, we're not gonna have our QB ever get sacked.... Adams isn't ready to start at LT. IMO. We'll see when camp comes...

I agree. An example is Joe Thomas. Drafted high by the Browns, started from day 1 at Tackle and struggled the first several games. He, of course, improved and made the Pro Bowl the very next season. I'm not saying the same will happen with Adams but everybody needs to practice patience with the rookies and not start screaming bust when they screw up. It'll be a work in progress.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 05:53 PM

First snap of the season- Ben goes back and DeCastro steps on his foot and he's out for the year. It could happen. That said, the chances are better with the rooks. Ben will get hit even if he's got 5 All-Pro's in front of him.

Chadman
05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Just heard him interviewed- put it in the books, he's practicing at LG & was told about the move the day DeCastro was drafted (Odd- draft an OG then tell your RT he's moving to OG too?).

Does this open the door for Max Starks' return?

Oviedo
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Just heard him interviewed- put it in the books, he's practicing at LG & was told about the move the day DeCastro was drafted (Odd- draft an OG then tell your RT he's moving to OG too?).

Great off season news. Both Guards from last year to the bench. It's about time. Hope that Achilles is fixed.

I think it may mean that Adams is going to be thrust onto the field.

SteelBucks
05-16-2012, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he does return once healthy. Serve as an insurance policy in case one of the Tackles struggle.

Va Steelr
05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree,Max would be good insurance if healthy.Given time this will prove to be a monumental OL upgrade.

Snatch98
05-16-2012, 07:35 PM

I 100% expect Ben to get sacked but this is the first time in a long time where I don't see a glaring weakness on the offensive line. Is Adams officially penciled in at LT? All I know is it's going to be better than what we've had in a good long while. Kugler will be able to keep guys at those positions barring injury and Gilbert didn't struggle when he had to play LT as a rookie. What I do expect is a line that should be competent across the board. DeCastro is already amazingly technical and very sound and Adams was a sure fire first round pick before the "weed problem". Give them a full offseason with Kugler and some condfidence and Ben should certainly get sacked less, he's obviously going to get sacked. You can't possibly sit back and look at this line from left to right refrain from being the least bit excited.

TD386Steel
05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Great news!! I love it.

Discipline of Steel
05-16-2012, 11:52 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that Mike Adams can be every bit as good as Starks was at LT last year right now. So why not start him at his natural position and let Gilbert learn to become dominant at RT. I actually see Colon being possibly dominant at guard if he can stay healthy.

so if Colon is dominant and Gilbert becomes dominant, and Adams lives up to his potential, we could have 5 dominant linemen across the board

Crash
05-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah but we'll see if he can hold up. When Alan Faneca went to OT in 2003 his response was "OT's are stealing money" because rush DE's do all that looping from the outside and it's not as physical a position as it is playing OG inside.

And considering WC has played less than 4 quarters in over two years time? This could very well be a disaster for him.

Shoe
05-17-2012, 12:58 AM

Agreed.
Handing a kid with an entitled attitude (entitled enough to think that smoking dope in the midst of the draft process) would be OK is a stupid move. Make him earn his role. Now... he may actually prove to be the best option this year (at wherever position they play him), but I'm thinking about the rest of his career. This is a player who needs a healthy dose of humility, perspective.

Crash
05-17-2012, 01:10 AM
They have a first year starter at LT either way. Gilbert's never done it either.

JDSteeler
05-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Left Guard for Colon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeking stellar!!!!

Adams, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me?????

Keep these 5 injury-free, Kugler, and this could be the best o-line in the NFL!!!

JD

RKSteel
05-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Somebody needs to be fired! :cool:

flippy
05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
I'd like to see them bring Max back and ease Adams into the lineup. Take a little pressure off the kid.

And if healthy, Max is a really good option. Especially if you put a quality player next to him at G that can handle his business. Kemo had so many mental lapses, I think it had a negative impact on Max's play. And Max is above average. I think he could be really good with Colon next to him. Colon is powerful and smart and effective. He just sucks against speed on the outside. Problem solved moving him inside.

Just hope Colon's body can hold up more than a play.

Sugar
05-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Left Guard for Colon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeking stellar!!!!

Adams, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me?????

Keep these 5 injury-free, Kugler, and this could be the best o-line in the NFL!!!

JD

Of course, part of the problem has been that these guys can't seem to stay healthy. At least now we seem to have more quality, experienced depth for when the inevitable injuries occur.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
I'd like to see them bring Max back and ease Adams into the lineup. Take a little pressure off the kid.

And if healthy, Max is a really good option. Especially if you put a quality player next to him at G that can handle his business. Kemo had so many mental lapses, I think it had a negative impact on Max's play. And Max is above average. I think he could be really good with Colon next to him. Colon is powerful and smart and effective. He just sucks against speed on the outside. Problem solved moving him inside.

Just hope Colon's body can hold up more than a play.

I agree. Max saved our season last year and while he will never make a Pro Bowl he is a solid starter at LT. If Adams shows he can beat out Max then we have a great back up.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Move makes sense after the draft. Best 5 OL on the field. Now guys are in positions they will play long term so let them grow. The only question is...Are the OTs flip flopped for the first year and that will depend on Adams development. My prediction by the end of camp would be:

Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

Let's not forget, Adams would have been a 1st rounder if he didn't make the big blunder and test +. More than likely, he would have been a starter. The Steelers fortunes of getting two 1st round players will now be utilized.

Colon's biggest concern was making the change early and that was satisfied. Colon is a Pro and I like his words. There will not be any concern with his transition. Floor...You get a better pass pro & drive blocker than Foster. Pretty equal in the pulling & 2nd level but just a guess on Colon. Never asked to do much of it in this system at RT. Ceiling? Well...We all wanted this move. I didn't think he had good enough feet to be a great pull/trap blocker like Kemo. Again, that assumption was based on not seeing him do it on the field. Never asked to though. I did feel his pass pro & drive block would make him a very good G. So if he exceeds what many "think" his abilities will limit him to in pulling/trapping...He very well could be a dominant LG. That would completely take the handing out of the offense and what a dangerous aspect of a game with a "change of pace" multi position guy like Rainey. I won't get into many details about that except for saying when you put Redman on the field in 11 personnel (Redman RB, Miller TE, Wallace WR, Brown WR, Rainey W) you draw a sub package and now you run against it. You can run PA power and pull backside G with counters to Rainey out of the wing. You are bigger & + in the box with safeties off. What a dynamic to add to an already dangerous passing O. Really excited to see it if Decastro & Adams are as advertised.

Many are concerned with starting two rookies. Let me say this about OL play. The bigger concern of inserting a rookie is the "chemistry" factor versus the "experience" factor. Meaning, a rookie does not have chemistry will the other OL around him. I can't stress enough the uncoachable traits the OL develop playing next to someone. That is something that comes with playing time and is a big factor in production of an OL. Yes, the experience factor is also a concern but that has two parts. Good OL coaches can teach and develop technique that the rookie will need at this level. Assuming Adams is coachable...Kuggs will have that part covered. The second part would be seeing the field for experience. That is the part of the equation for a rookie that everyone faces. So yes that concern does exist. However, Adams very well could be the best LT on this roster right now. Gilbert has very good movement skills for a big man but Adams has shown "elite" at times in college. Koogs gets that out of him on every play...Franchise LT. Will there be growing pains...There very well could be. I do think the growing pains will be in the shadows of improved OL play at LT & RG regardless of Adams & Decastro being rookies so making the move now makes sense. A whole camp & preseason to develop chemistry & experience...Only can go up from here.

Remember..No matter what way the deck was shuffled...Three new cards were in different spots. Even if Colon stayed at RT...Gilbert to LT...DeCastro at RG...And Foster at LG...Were new homes. Yes Foster had some experience at LG but he never played weakside with Gilbert on his left shoulder. I do think this transition would be fairly quick and easy becasue they seemed to develop a good chemistry strongside. The bottom line, if they could get them in these spots now...The shuffling stops for years moving forward barring injury. If Gilbert starts at LT in 2012, the following year another shuffle may take place if Adams hit his ceiling. I think doing this right now (Adams-Colon-Pouncey-Decastro-Gilbert) will be the most beneficial to the Steelers long term success & will pay dividends as soon as 2012 down the stretch.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 09:08 AM
I think Adams has to really show he can be the LT before I would put him there ahead of Gilbert or even Starks. The position is too critical to protect Ben. Maybe He gets a lot of help from Miller or Pope at TE but right now I'd like to see someone with at least one year of experience at LT before a rookie.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
I think Adams has to really show he can be the LT before I would put him there ahead of Gilbert or even Starks. The position is too critical to protect Ben. Maybe He gets a lot of help from Miller or Pope at TE but right now I'd like to see someone with at least one year of experience at LT before a rookie.

Understand the concerns but rookie LTs have come in and started in the NFL. Adams was a projected 1st for a reason and he has the skillset to compete early. If the discussion was about a 4th-7th rounder starting his rookie year at LT...I think BB would have a "phantom" injury and just let the Steelers see what they have while a back-up played tackling dummy. RT for BB is in his face but still critical. Gilbert held it down just fine coming out of a shortened off season. I don't think rookie versus 1 year experience has as much weight as to who performs especially with the 1 year experience not being at LT. Gilbert's learning curve at LT isn't far off Adams if the playbook/assignment doesn't become a factor. Being that Haley's new offense has a new car smell for everyone....I think the playing field just got shorter.

I think it comes down to athleticism/technique verus the mental part of the game at LT competition. Adams seems to have the edge on athleticism over Gilbert in that department going into camp. Adams needs to refine his technique with his hand placement and develop recover tools he will need at this level. He is smooth in his kick slide but he will need to know he has to be sound everytime. Just having good feet and getting lazy in it because the guy you are facing isn't a threat won't happen anymore in the NFL. Adams feet, long arms, and the fact that he is a natural knee bender gives Koogs a combination he hasn't had at LT. He has a full off season to work with both of them and everyone is learning a new playbook. If this was Arians offense I would have trouble thinking Adams could overcome Gilbert early to see the field with the 1st team and earn the spot but it wouldn't have surprised me if it did happen.

feltdizz
05-17-2012, 09:56 AM

exactly.. I could see if we were used to solid play on the OL but at this point it really can't get any worse.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Starting 2 rookies on the OL sounds scary in theory, but putting your best 5 guys out there is the best thing that we can do, and the rookies are certainly among the top 5 most talented o-linemen on our roster without question.

Adams at LT is continuity (played there for Ohio State)
Pouncey at C is continuity (played there for us last 2 years)
DeCastro at RG is continuity (played there for Stanford)
Gilbert at RT is continuity (played there for us last year)

Colon requires some adjustment to LG, but OTA's are the best time for learning. Listening to Moving the Chains on Sirius yesterday, Tim Ryan (former USC and Chicago Bears d-lineman) thought that Colon would make a tremendous guard when watching him at Latrobe in previous seasons. Use this time to teach. Use this time for the guys to get used to playing the with guys on the either side of them. What this says is the future is now. I like it...like it a lot.

Fast-forward to week 1, when this new OL faces this front seven:

...................WLB D.J. Williams...............MLB Joe Mays................SLB Von Miller..................
RDE Elvis Dumervil...........RDT Kevin Vickerson...........NT Ty Warren..............LDE Robert Ayers

LT Mike Adams...LG Willie Colon...OC Maurkice Pouncey...RG David DeCastro...RT Marcus Gilbert

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Starting 2 rookies on the OL sounds scary in theory, but putting your best 5 guys out there is the best thing that we can do, and the rookies are certainly among the top 5 most talented o-linemen on our roster without question.

Adams at LT is continuity (played there for Ohio State)
Pouncey at C is continuity (played there for us last 2 years)
DeCastro at RG is continuity (played there for Stanford)
Gilbert at RT is continuity (played there for us last year)

Colon requires some adjustment to LG, but OTA's are the best time for learning. Listening to Moving the Chains on Sirius yesterday, Tim Ryan (former USC and Chicago Bears d-lineman) thought that Colon would make a tremendous guard when watching him at Latrobe in previous seasons. Use this time to teach. Use this time for the guys to get used to playing the with guys on the either side of them. What this says is the future is now. I like it...like it a lot.

Fast-forward to week 1, when this new OL faces this front seven:

...................WLB D.J. Williams...............MLB Joe Mays................SLB Von Miller..................
RDE Elvis Dumervil...........RDT Kevin Vickerson...........NT Ty Warren..............LDE Robert Ayers

LT Mike Adams...LG Willie Colon...OC Maurkice Pouncey...RG David DeCastro...RT Marcus Gilbert

Dumervil against Adams in game 1 is IMO a downright frightening prospect. Lots of TE help will be required or we could see a repeat of what Suggs did in Game 1 last season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Dumervil against Adams in game 1 is IMO a downright frightening prospect. Lots of TE help will be required or we could see a repeat of what Suggs did in Game 1 last season.

Lucky for Adams or Gilbert...They will get a similiar look at a Dumervil every week in practice starting OTAs. One of the benefits of being on a talented team is you face talent every day. If Adams & Gilbert are keeping Harrison in check...They will be ready for Dumervil.

steelblood
05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Understand the concerns but rookie LTs have come in and started in the NFL. Adams was a projected 1st for a reason and he has the skillset to compete early. If the discussion was about a 4th-7th rounder starting his rookie year at LT...I think BB would have a "phantom" injury and just let the Steelers see what they have while a back-up played tackling dummy. RT for BB is in his face but still critical. Gilbert held it down just fine coming out of a shortened off season. I don't think rookie versus 1 year experience has as much weight as to who performs especially with the 1 year experience not being at LT. Gilbert's learning curve at LT isn't far off Adams if the playbook/assignment doesn't become a factor. Being that Haley's new offense has a new car smell for everyone....I think the playing field just got shorter.

I think it comes down to athleticism/technique verus the mental part of the game at LT competition. Adams seems to have the edge on athleticism over Gilbert in that department going into camp. Adams needs to refine his technique with his hand placement and develop recover tools he will need at this level. He is smooth in his kick slide but he will need to know he has to be sound everytime. Just having good feet and getting lazy in it because the guy you are facing isn't a threat won't happen anymore in the NFL. Adams feet, long arms, and the fact that he is a natural knee bender gives Koogs a combination he hasn't had at LT. He has a full off season to work with both of them and everyone is learning a new playbook. If this was Arians offense I would have trouble thinking Adams could overcome Gilbert early to see the field with the 1st team and earn the spot but it wouldn't have surprised me if it did happen.

I like what you are saying, and I agree to a point. However, Adams was woefully inconsistent as a collegiate tackle. Yes, he has 1st round talent and athletic ability. But, he never truly put it together in college for more than a few games. He could be great, but he more likely will take a while to develop.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I like what you are saying, and I agree to a point. However, Adams was woefully inconsistent as a collegiate tackle. Yes, he has 1st round talent and athletic ability. But, he never truly put it together in college for more than a few games. He could be great, but he more likely will take a while to develop.

Adams played down to his competition and showed up for big games. It doesn't take much to see the flashes of who he could be watching his college tape. An NFL paycheck and his "chance" to be a Steeler is what the Steelers are banking on will erase his inconsistencies on the field. Add in Koogs coaching to make him right technically. If they are right...He will see this field this year.

steelz09
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
YES! Colon to Guard!

I was kind of hoping DeCastro would play LG and Colon at RG but I'm ok w/ the opposite. As long as Colon is at guard, I'm happy.

steelz09
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Starks posted that he'll be ready in mid-July on twitter. I'm not sure what "ready" means but I would strongly suggest the Steelers keep Starks around... possibly as a starter if Adams isn't ready week 1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Even if Adams is ready...Having Starks on this roster as a back-up only makes the team better. He is vested so I believe the Steelers don't absorb his full salary. J Scott's 2 mil could be used elsewhere.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Bringing back Starks would give experienced depth at all 3 positions along the OL in case injuries strike again:

OT:
Marcus Gilbert
Mike Adams
Max Starks

OG:
David DeCastro
Willie Colon
Ramon Foster

OC:
Maurkice Pouncey
Doug Legursky

steeler_george
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Disn't we have 2 rookies in play with Pouncey and Foster ?

Please correct me if I am wrong

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Colon making the switch to guard
Posted 21 hours ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Steelers’ offensive lineman Willie Colon is back after missing the last two seasons injured, but don’t look for him at tackle.

Colon revealed today that he has been working at the left guard spot, a position where he is likely to be the starter on opening day.

“They moved me to left guard now. I am learning that," said Colon. “That is a challenge for me. As a tackle you are used to just being an athlete, left on an island. But as a guard I am between the tackle and (Maurkice) Pouncey, the verbiage and how to work with those guys I am learning. When you are in the middle things happen faster. When I am at tackle I have the whole side of the sideline to work with. At guard I am in a box where I have to work faster and react faster. I have to be more aware of calls. On the flip side I get to get after people.

“I am excited to get out there. I know the sky is the limit for us as a line. We have the young kids (David) DeCastro and Mike Adams. The biggest thing that always gets us is the injury bug, but if we can stay strong and healthy we should be the one or two best line in the league.”

The Steelers used their top two draft choices on offensive linemen this year, taking DeCastro, who is projected as a right guard, and Adams, who could start at tackle. And shortly after that, Colon learned of his position change.

“It’s so funny,” said Colon. “Before the draft it was never heard of, I was staying at tackle. We drafted DeCastro and I get a call the next day that we are moving you to guard. I was never against it. It wasn’t something I frowned upon. For me to still be here, still be a Steeler and still have the chance to crack that starting lineup, I am blessed. I just want to compete and be the best that I can be.”

The Steelers begin OTAs on Tuesday, May 22, giving Colon a large portion of the offseason to learn the guard spot.

“I was never against the transition,” said Colon. “The only knock I ever had was if you want me to play guard don’t ask me to play guard week one against Baltimore and I have been playing tackle my whole career. If moving to guard was going to happen, this was the best time for it to happen where I can learn and go through the mistakes and work on my mechanics when I have time, work on it and get better from there.

“Since I have been here people have said Willie if you go to guard you can be All Pro; Willie if you go to guard you can be this. Because I go to guard and have the potential doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. I have to work my tail off to be a good guard at this level.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Colon-making-the-switch-to-guard/f072ca01-4774-45a3-b30f-cda6226d2883

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Disn't we have 2 rookies in play with Pouncey and Foster ?

Please correct me if I am wrong

Nope...two different years.

Foster was an UDFA in 2009 (started 4 games as a rookie).

Pouncey was a 1st round pick in 2010 (started 16 games as a rookie).

steeler_george
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Was it Kemo and Essex with Pouncey .... Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Essex-Colon

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Was it Kemo and Essex with Pouncey .... Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Essex-Colon

Essex and Kemo were both rookies together (3rd and 6th rounders in 2005).

In 2005, Essex started 4 games a rookie and Kemoeatu started none.
In 2006, Kemoeatu started 2 games and Essex started none.
In 2007, neither of them started any games.
In 2008, Kemoeatu started all 16 games and Essex started none.
In 2009, Essex started all 16 games and Kemoeatu started 12.
In 2010, Kemoeatu started 15 games and Essex started 5.
In 2011, Kemoeatu started 8 games and Essex started 3.

ramblinjim
05-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Agreed.
Handing a kid with an entitled attitude (entitled enough to think that smoking dope in the midst of the draft process) would be OK is a stupid move. Make him earn his role. Now... he may actually prove to be the best option this year (at wherever position they play him), but I'm thinking about the rest of his career. This is a player who needs a healthy dose of humility, perspective.

Oh Adams will get a dose of humility come training camp. The name is James Harrison. Elvis Dumerville and Von Miller aren't chumps either, our tackles will have their hands full.

Slapstick
05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Pouncey started as a rookie and made protection calls...

Nobody seemed to have an issue with that...

Crash
05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
You didn't, but one thing I have noticed that in the last two playoff games this team has played the much maligned running game has played pretty well behind that OL.

Pouncey didn't play either game. Legursky was making the calls.

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers News Bulletin: Offensive Line Transition

by Neal Coolong on May 17, 2012

I find it ironic that the amount of in-game and pre-game fluctuation among the offensive line was one of the reasons behind the justified savagery of the Steelers offensive line. Yet, the transfer of Willie Colon three spots west of where he used to be (and essentially hasn't played) has gotten Steeler Nation so excited. I'm excited as well, but looking down the road, it's worth considering the bigger picture and the message being sent.

Is it the "Anything's Better" argument, or does the chlorophyll shimmering from afar appear to give off a deeper green hue? I wrote no pro offensive lineman should struggle much with a position change, at least from a mental perspective, if he's given adequate time to learn the terminology and movement. Training camp should be plenty of time. Flozell Adams didn't need much time to learn right tackle, after having played for like 38 years at left tackle with a different team. Reason suggests Colon will handle the transition just fine.

And if it doesn't work? The Steelers have now invested two first round picks (C Maurkice Pouncey and RG David DeCastro) and two second round picks (LT Marcus Gilbert and potential RT Mike Adams) in their offensive line.

If they are not one of the three best offensive lines in the game by the end of next season, heads have to roll, don't they? Maybe it's the head of offensive line coach Sean Kugler. Maybe it's offensive coordinator Todd Haley's, or head coach Mike Tomlin's.

I'm only bringing it up because Post-Gazette writer Ed Bouchette had mentioned via Twitter on Wednesday he felt current Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt was the best offensive coordinator the Steelers had (or did I read that wrong? I didn't see his column, just the tweet). Russ Grimm was the offensive line coach (and candidate to replace Bill Cowher before the job went to Tomlin).

The offensive line those guys had, in 2005 in particular, was excellent, especially when we look at it retrospectively. OTs Marvel Smith and Max Starks, Gs Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons (he started that year, didn't he?) and C Jeff Hartings are comparable as a unit in terms of draft picks invested (three 1sts, a second and a third) to what Pittsburgh has today but I'll challenge you to go back and watch a game from 2005 and tell me you aren't shocked with how good they were as a unit. That kind of thing doesn't happen overnight.

Or maybe I'm just seeing a decent offensive line, and comparing it to what we've had recently.

Either way, the bar is set pretty high, and with a position unit that relies heavily on cohesion and trust, it's currently in a state of massive transition, and it's going to take a helluva coaching job to make it work. Not saying it won't, but let's not think this line will automatically dominate.

Maybe I should just have a few beers and think about it.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...hood#storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/17/3026739/Pittsburgh-steelers-news-willie-colon-david-decastro-cameron-heyward-ziggy-hood#storyjump)

Dee Dub
05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Many of us have been suggesting this for years. It makes sense.

Yeah it makes sense now...but it didnt prior to this year. Why? The addition of descent bookend tackles would be my guess.

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Eau-de-Colonin’

By Mike Prisuta - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted May 16, 2012

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/106/1068438.jpg

Even though it's been an oft-discussed move in the past, Willie Colon told SCI's Mike Prisuta it's "definitely a move for the future." Read all about Colon moving to left guard for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It had to happen sooner or later.

After all, the position shift information that Willie Colon volunteered on Wednesday, specifically his move from right tackle to left guard, is one that has been speculated upon since Colon’s arrival in Pittsburgh. It’s a move the Chicago Bears had been prepared to make less than a year ago when they pursued Colon as a free agent.

Better late than never.

It’s all about getting the best five offensive linemen on the field.

The Steelers have long said as much.

Since draft day they’ve apparently committed themselves to doing something about it.

“There’s a lot of money on the line, definitely,” Colon said, acknowledging a potential fivesome that would include two No. 1 picks (Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro), two No. 2 picks (Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams) and the guy the Steelers paid handsomely not to go to Chicago.

“It’s definitely a move for the future,” Colon continued. “As Ben (Roethlisberger) gets older we definitely have to keep him upright. There’s been so much talk about his sacks that he’s been taking over the years. Whether it’s from him holding the ball or from us just not protecting well; he’s brought two championships here.

“We need to get some more. We need to bring some more back to the city and he’s definitely the guy that’s more than capable of doing it. But if we don’t keep him upright and throwing and doing what he does best it’s going to be a turbulent road for us.”

As intriguing an element in all of this as the Colon position shift is obvious to some of us is the migration of Colon to left guard rather than right guard.

Chris Kemoeatu’s old position was always perceived as the pulling guard position. And DeCastro, the No. 1 pick from Stanford, was the NCAA’s premier pulling guard last season. And Colon played tackle for as long as he did, in part, because departed OC Bruce Arians never thought Colon could pull.

“I disagree (that Arians thought that) because we had a play called ‘Tonto’ where I pulled (from right tackle),” Colon argued. “He wouldn’t call it a lot but at least it was in the playbook. That was enough for me.

“It was an option.”

It’ll be much more for new OC Todd Haley.

“They have me pulling,” Colon confirmed. “They have me moving. I think it’s going to go both ways. I think we’re going to be a lot more balanced this year. You should expect both of us (Colon and DeCastro) pulling. It should be good.

“I think we’re definitely going to run the ball a lot more. Coach Haley is coming in with the mindset that we’re going to be a lot more balanced team. Obviously, we have great receivers, everybody knows that. We have a great quarterback. But I also feel like we have a real physical line and we have great running backs.

“For us to be balanced I think you can expect a lot more play-action, a lot more of us flat getting after guys up front.”

Three-fifths of the O-line is now coming into focus, Colon at left guard, Pouncey at center and DeCastro at right guard.

“As of now that’s what it looks like, yes,” Colon said.

The status of the tackles remains unresolved. Does Gilbert stay at right tackle or shift to left?

Does Adams’ future as the Steelers’ left tackle of the future commence next week?

“I don’t really know the rotation (at tackle) right now,’ Colon said.

He knows this much: He’s going to guard willingly.

“I like it,” he said. “It’s just a matter of me learning the verbiage and learning where I need to be to make this line better.

“My only issue I would have had was, ‘Don’t move me to left guard midway through (training) camp.’ I pride myself on being a mechanic and a technician. So if it was to happen do it right now when I have the time to learn and go through my mechanics.

“(The Steelers) honored that. I got the call right after the draft after we picked up DeCastro that I was going to move to guard. I have no problems with it. I’m taking it well. I like being there.

“The Bears wanted me as a guard. Since I’ve been here there’s always been speculation about me moving to guard. I’m not 6-foot-6 or 6-7. I’m just 6-3; big back, barrel chest, typical guard frame. I’ve never been against it. All I wanted was the time to learn the position.”

OTAs just got a whole lot more interesting.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1187090.html

Jooser
05-18-2012, 02:38 PM
At least Willie is on board with it. I like his attitude towards the move and I think he'll be a very good guard. Think about it, Ben essentially has TWO tackles protecting his blind side on every pass play!

Slapstick
05-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Really, what does Willie have to complain about? He signed the contract with the Steelers and the team made a further commitment to him by restructuring his contract this year. After ending the season early two years running.

He had better be on board...he's fortunate to be on the team....

I hope he rocks out with his {*{& out at LG...

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I hope he rocks out with his {*{& out at LG...

Considering he was with Ben in Millegeville, I think he should keep it in his pants. :p

aggiebones
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Colon was originally just worried about his salary and trying to get tackle money.
...now he's just trying to keep his job as long as possible and maybe get some rings along the way.
Soon, we'll here that he's the best LG in the league from his agent.

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Colon was originally just worried about his salary and trying to get tackle money.
...now he's just trying to keep his job as long as possible and maybe get some rings along the way.
Soon, we'll here that he's the best LG in the league from his agent.

Colon's agent said that last year when he was shopping Willie around in free-agency:

NFL free-agent frenzy: Behind-the-scenes with Hofstra product Willie Colon as he picks the Steelers

BY EBENEZER SAMUEL / DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, August 6, 2011

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.944953.1318378623!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/image.jpg

The Score spent a week with Hofstra product Willie Colon and got a behind-the-scenes-look on how he landed a new deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NFL free agency always seems so simple. Player takes time, picks team, scores oodles of money. Easy, right?

Not this year. The NFL lockout robbed the league of its normal, slow-paced, free-agency period. The resulting chaos has forced both teams and players to make ultra-quick decisions. That's something The Score saw when we followed sixth-year offensive tackle Willie Colon and his agent, Joe Linta, through the free-agency process two weeks ago. In the end, the Hofstra product, who missed last season with a knee injury, re-signed with the Steelers.

But, from the moment the lockout ended on July 25, Colon had just four days to determine the next five years of his life:

MONDAY, JULY 25

"We've been waiting for this baby for nine months. Now, let's go get it."

Those are the first words out of Linta's mouth when he touches base with Colon after the lockout is over. Colon lives in Pittsburgh, and Linta operates from the office in his Connecticut home, but the two have been planning for free agency for months. They already have a list of teams that would be good fits. Pittsburgh tops the list.

TUESDAY, JULY 26

Thing is, the Steelers hardly seem interested. Linta fields calls all morning. The Bears call first, followed by a few other squads. But when Linta checks in with Colon, he hasn't heard from Pittsburgh.

In a normal year, Colon wouldn't be worried; it's only been a few hours. But in the 2011 sprint, he's concerned, even though Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler claims he wants Colon.

The Bears are pushing hard. After leaving the gym, Colon gets a call from Chicago offensive line coach Mike Tice. Tice is a Long Island guy who knows Colon well. As Jaguars line coach in 2006, he tried to draft Colon. The Steelers, meanwhile, make just one low-ball offer.

"At this point," Linta says, "we're negotiating with the Bears."

WEDNESDAY, JULY 27

It's down to Chicago and Pittsburgh. Now comes the hard part. Colon has built his life around the Steelers. Heck, he was a groomsman at Ben Roethlisberger's wedding.

But it may be time to go. Colon speaks with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, but the front office never calls. Meanwhile, Tice calls again. The Bears want Colon, a natural tackle, to play guard. Linta likes the move.

"I think you would be an awesome guard … you'll be a Pro Bowl guy," Linta tells Colon.

Linta knows free-agent line talent is plentiful. He also knows Chicago, and he starts sharing his knowledge of the city. If Colon signs there, he'll need to be in camp on Friday, and he won't get time to visit.

Soon, Colon is warming to Chicago, which is why he sits his brother, Antonio, down for a chat. Antonio lives with Colon in their Pittsburgh town house and just got a job as a restaurant manager downtown. He's "50-50" on moving, Colon says.

THURSDAY, JULY 28

With Bears training camp opening Friday, Colon is sure Chicago will want an answer soon.

He unhappily rolls out of bed for a workout, then comes home. With his dog watching, he sits at his desk, mulling. His mom doesn't fly, and Antonio would be out of a job. But the Bears are offering $32 million.

At 3 p.m., Linta calls. Chicago wants a verbal agreement by 4. Frenzied, Colon texts Kugler and Tomlin with Chicago's final offer, and the deadline. Linta cancels his other plans. The Raiders want him in Oakland to complete the contract for franchised pass-rusher Kamerion Wimbley. That must wait.

Minutes later, the Steelers call to up their deal, and Linta finagles another million from them, pushing it to five-years, $29 million, less than Chicago, but enough to satisfy Colon.

"Yeah, I gave them a discount," he says. "But I wanted to stay."

Only took four days to figure out.

Beats LeBron.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-free-agent-frenzy-behind-the-scenes-hofstra-product-willie-colon-picks-steelers-article-1.944951#ixzz1vFcomlNP

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Colon about guard being more suited to his mauling-style play "I'm going to kick (butt) regardless, it doesn't matter what position I am in"

https://twitter.com/intent/user?scre...arkKaboly_Trib (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=MarkKaboly_Trib)

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Steelers' Colon welcomes position switch

Wed May 23, 2012.
By Mike Bires

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/24/d2474b7c-6e12-5564-8345-59db84103d45/4fbd977516b13.preview-300.jpg

Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon pauses on the first day of organized training activities on Tuesday.

PITTSBURGH — Willie Colon has no problem moving from tackle to guard. In fact, he embraces the switch.

“I will kick ass regardless,” he said Tuesday after the first of 10 Steelers’ OTAs this spring. “Whatever position I play, I will be aggressive. That’s my temperament. That’s what it is.”

Colon started every game at right tackle from 2007-09. But he missed the 2010 season after tearing his Achilles’ tendon during an off-season workout. He missed most of last season after tearing his triceps in the opener at Baltimore.

The Steelers decided to move Colon to guard after taking Ohio State tackle Mike Adams, who’s 6-foot-7 and 323 pounds, in the second round of this year’s draft.

At 6-3 and 315 pounds, Colon has a physique that may be better suited at guard.

“I knew (the change) was coming,” he said. “You keeping hearing that it might happen. It’s coming from somewhere. It’s not that I wasn’t a good tackle. They just figure I can be a great guard.”

Colon is expected to start at left guard, the position Chris Keomeatu played for most of the past four years.

The Steelers cut Kemoeatu in March.

If Adams proves he can handle the job, the Steelers’ offensive line this year could be Adams at left tackle, Colon at left guard, Maurkice Pouncey at center, rookie first-round draft pick David DeCastro at right guard and Marcus Gilbert at right tackle.

DeCastro, an All-American from Stanford, and Adams aren’t able to attend OTAs because they’re still taking classes in college.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/colon-welcomes-position-switch/article_7cb7fff5-ad14-5e59-b5c1-423f91219e17.html

Crash
05-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Gilbert has never started at LT either.

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Steelers' Pouncey says Colon will do well at guard

By Dan Hanzus
May 25, 2012

It's a time of transition for the Pittsburgh Steelers, both in terms of personnel and strategy.

This is no different along the offensive line. Willie Colon is healthy after missing the majority of last season with a torn triceps muscle. A tackle for his entire NFL career, the Steelers are planning to move him inside to guard.

Maurkice Pouncey, the third-year center who serves as the line's anchor, has no doubt Colon will handle the change in scenery.

"I think it's going to be a great transition for him, and he'll probably be one of the best guards in the league right now," Pouncey told WTZN-FM in Pittsburgh (via SportsRadioInterviews.com). "He's working really hard on his technique right now, he's a big guy to move guys out of there, and I’m happy he’s right there next to me."

There's been plenty of speculation about how the Steelers' offense will operate next season now that the run-happy Todd Haley has replaced Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator. Many expect a more balanced approach with a dedicated approach to the ground game. Pouncey hasn't seen big changes in the updated playbook.

"Different terminology, but all the stuff is kind of similar," he said. "We just got to get used to different verbiage."

We'd be interested to know if Ben Roethlisberger shares the same opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-well-at-guard (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82958392/article/steelers-pouncey-says-colon-will-do-well-at-guard)

steelz09
05-26-2012, 02:55 AM

Steelers o-line:

If he's athletic enough to play tackle, he's athletic enough to play guard.

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2012, 01:59 PM
There's been plenty of speculation about how the Steelers' offense will operate next season now that the run-happy Todd Haley has replaced Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator.

The run-happy Todd Haley? I guess they forgot about his tenure in Arizona.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 02:58 PM
The run-happy Todd Haley? I guess they forgot about his tenure in Arizona.

Nah...that was all Whisenhunt...remember how pass happy Whis was in Pittsburgh?

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Nah...that was all Whisenhunt...remember how pass happy Whis was in Pittsburgh?

Just imagine how sophisticated our offense would be if we hired Russ Grimm instead of Tomlin...

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2012, 02:29 AM
On the Steelers: Guard duty not a hassle for Colon

May 27, 2012 12:00 am
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For years, Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon heard the chatter about a position change. And, even though former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians repeatedly shot down the speculation, Colon knew someday he would be making the switch from right tackle to guard.

"I knew it was coming," Colon said. "You hear it enough, it's coming from somewhere."

Sure enough, after Arians was relieved of his duties and the team drafted highly regarded tackle prospect Mike Adams from Ohio State with their second pick last month, Colon received the phone call from new offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Effective immediately, Colon was starting at left guard.

"[The speculation] was always that I was a good tackle; they just figured I'd be a great guard," said Colon, a fourth-round draft pick from Hofstra in 2006. "I was never against it. All I asked was that if it happened, it happened now and not in August. They honored that."

This is the first time Colon has played guard at any level. He was strictly a tackle in high school and college and for his first six seasons as a professional. Not only is Colon moving from the right side of the line to the left, where different footwork is involved, but guards have to possess a more complete knowledge of the offense.

Tackles usually block defensive ends by themselves, or with assists from tight ends or fullbacks. They don't have to know much about the intricacies of the line's interior play. As a guard, Colon must have an ability to read linebackers and safeties. He must know what his center and the other guard are doing on every play because they work together on combination blocks. He'll have to react much more quickly and make more split-second decisions because he is playing closer to the ball.

Colon was able to work out the kinks in the first week of organized team activities last week. After each practice, he put in extra work with veteran lineman Trai Essex, who has played tackle, guard and center in the league over the past eight years.

"Physically, it won't be a problem," Essex said of Colon. "He already is a road-grader. That's his forte. That's who he is.

"The mental part will be challenging. This is a crucial time for him, and he's taking advantage of it. When he knows what he's doing, he moves anyone out of there. He'll be an asset to our offensive line at guard."

Colon also has been leaning heavily on All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey.

"Pouncey is a genius when it comes to the Xs and Os," Colon said. "Obviously, he's a stud on the field. I try to learn from him as fast as I can. He'll tell me different things on and off the field to help me pick it up faster. It's all about jelling. This is what OTAs are all about.

"When August comes, we're not having this conversation. We're just hitting the ground running. It's a great time for us to learn and get better."

Colon hasn't played much in recent seasons. He injured a triceps in the opener against Baltimore last year and was placed on injured reserve. In '10, he missed the entire season with an Achilles tendon injury.

Here's how much has changed in that time: The last time he played a full season, he was the young guy on a veteran line. Now. he'll be the elder statesman on a young line loaded with high draft picks.

Pouncey is entering his third season. First-round pick David DeCastro is expected to nail down the starting job at right guard in training camp. Marcus Gilbert is entering his second season after becoming the starting right tackle last season, and Adams is the likely starter at left tackle, unless Essex beats him out.

"I'm not a fan of what could be or potential," Colon said. "We have to be able to jell together and work together and do what we have to do to be a great line. We obviously have the potential, but, if we don't get it done, it doesn't mean anything."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-guard-duty-not-a-hassle-for-colon-637780/

birtikidis
05-27-2012, 11:14 AM
If I'm colon I welcome anything that keeps me on the team. Regardless of position he worries me the most of any guy on the team. And I'm not talking about his false starts. New position and not having taken many meaningful snaps in two years. Yikes! I'd rather he was on the right side and decastro was on the left.

Slapstick
05-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Maybe, but then you have two guys learning new positions instead of one guy..

birtikidis
05-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Yea but decastro has taken snaps in meaningful games on a full time basis. During that time colon was sitting with a cast on. Let him fight it out with foster till he gets back up to speed.

Chadman
05-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Here's betting by years end we all love Willie Colon. His biggest issue has always been his lack of foot speed on the outside. At OG, that isn't such a problem. Strength-wise, he is a beast. Between his brute force & DeCastro's skill & Pouncey's athletisism- the Steelers have a hell of an interior OL.

Va Steelr
05-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Chadman is correct !!! as usual

Jooser
05-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Here's betting by years end we all love Willie Colon. His biggest issue has always been his lack of foot speed on the outside. At OG, that isn't such a problem. Strength-wise, he is a beast. Between his brute force & DeCastro's skill & Pouncey's athletisism- the Steelers have a hell of an interior OL.

Yep, I agree Chadman. This should make us more potent in an area we've been very weak in the past. Inside the five, when we need to punch it in. Short goal line situations should be unstoppable with this interior line and Redman punching it in, or Ben QB sneaking in even.

birtikidis
05-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one worried that we have a rookie and a guy who hasn't taken a snap in two years protecting our franchise qb's blindside?

Flasteel
05-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Am I the only one worried that we have a rookie and a guy who hasn't taken a snap in two years protecting our franchise qb's blindside?

I'm more excited than worried, but I recognize it as an unknown at this point.

birtikidis
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Excited is putting a first round talent at a position for the first time.
worried is putting an oft injured veteran who has never played the position before and who may not have ever deserved to start at any position before. and making him the starter.

Crash
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
worried is putting an oft injured veteran who has never played the position before and who may not have ever deserved to start at any position before. and making him the starter.

Don't be a hater. Haley knows what he's doing.

birtikidis
05-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm an o-line guy. I'm tired of putting guys in the wrong spot year in and year out. We've been doing it for years and it's gotten us very little.
and I won't hate Haley until we can't score from the 5 in 4 attempts. Or until he runs a reverse from the 2. whatever comes first.

Crash
05-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm an o-line guy. I'm tired of putting guys in the wrong spot year in and year out. We've been doing it for years and it's gotten us very little.
and I won't hate Haley until we can't score from the 5 in 4 attempts. Or until he runs a reverse from the 2. whatever comes first.

That's what they are trying to avoid. They are moving ONE GUY (Colon) rather than most of the line.

Btw, Arians had an end around for Wallace in Denver playoff game.

Touchdown.

See what happens when they aren't doing the predictable "Stiller Football" run on first and goal?

birtikidis
05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
That's what they are trying to avoid. They are moving ONE GUY (Colon) rather than most of the line.

Btw, Arians had an end around for Wallace in Denver playoff game.

Touchdown.

See what happens when they aren't doing the predictable "Stiller Football" run on first and goal?
He also had an end around inside the five. result, missed field goal.
ONE GUY? HA! We will have 3 new starters next year on the O-Line.
Adams, Colon, and DeCastro.

Crash
05-28-2012, 04:08 PM
ONE GUY? HA! We will have 3 new starters next year on the O-Line.
Adams, Colon, and DeCastro.

Adams played LT at OSU.

DeCastro played RG at Stanford.

Colon is the one moving from where he played last season.

This is the best option. They also keep Gilbert at RT where he played most of the year.

birtikidis
05-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Adams played LT at OSU.

DeCastro played RG at Stanford.

Colon is the one moving from where he played last season.

This is the best option. They also keep Gilbert at RT where he played most of the year. [/COLOR]
I'll be worried until Colon proves me wrong. I wasn't a fan of his at RT and I'm not a fan of him protecting Ben's blind side. I'd rather have a guy who took snaps last year at ANY LEVEL. Colon has taken a handful of snaps in the past two years. I'm also not sold on Adams yet. He's got the talent though.

Flasteel
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM

Colon wasn't that bad as a RT. He struggled with outside speed rushers, which was compounded by his propensity for false starts and holding penalties. Moving him inside eliminates this issue. He's also built like a guard and is a mauler in the run game, so he seems to have the requisite tools. Two major injuries that are unrelated and do not involve a joint...I'm not ready to call him injury-prone yet and I'm not real worried about it either. Even if he can't make the transition, I'm not freaking out about Essex, Foster, & Legs battling it out to replace him...I just don't think we'll need to worry about it.

The only thing that I'm really apprehensive about is Adams and the complete lack of an adequate starter at LT if he struggles or goes down. Getting Max back in the fold would make me feel better about the situation fo sho.

AkronSteel
05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I must say.....for the first time in a long time, I'm actually excited to see what the offensive line is going to look like this season. I'm excited to see Willie Colon move over to LG. I've been wanting the Steelers to make that move for a while now. I think he could be a Pro Bowl type LG and with his nasty streak he will fit well inside. I'm excited to see the rookies,(DeCastro and Adams)....they are both major upgrades to the front wall. I expect DeCastro to start from day 1 at RG and probably be there for the next 10-12 years. Adams could take a while to develop and I could see the Steelers bringing back Starks to be a buffer if Adams is not completely ready. I would be absolutely happy with an offensive line on opening day consisting of:

LT: Starks
LG: Colon
C: Pouncey
RG: DeCastro
RT: Gilbert

Bench: Adams, Legursky, and Foster

That's a solid 8 on game day. The best we have seen in Pittsburgh since maybe the mid 90's with potential to be even better. I look forward to not worrying about #7 every time he drops back to pass. This lineup has the potential to get the Steelers back to being a threat on the ground consistently as well. I can't believe I'm acutally excited about the OL!!! It's been a long time coming!!!

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I must say.....for the first time in a long time, I'm actually excited to see what the offensive line is going to look like this season. I'm excited to see Willie Colon move over to LG. I've been wanting the Steelers to make that move for a while now. I think he could be a Pro Bowl type LG and with his nasty streak he will fit well inside. I'm excited to see the rookies,(DeCastro and Adams)....they are both major upgrades to the front wall. I expect DeCastro to start from day 1 at RG and probably be there for the next 10-12 years. Adams could take a while to develop and I could see the Steelers bringing back Starks to be a buffer if Adams is not completely ready. I would be absolutely happy with an offensive line on opening day consisting of:

LT: Starks
LG: Colon
C: Pouncey
RG: DeCastro
RT: Gilbert

Bench: Adams, Legursky, and Foster

That's a solid 8 on game day. The best we have seen in Pittsburgh since maybe the mid 90's with potential to be even better. I look forward to not worrying about #7 every time he drops back to pass. This lineup has the potential to get the Steelers back to being a threat on the ground consistently as well. I can't believe I'm acutally excited about the OL!!! It's been a long time coming!!!

I'm all for bringing Max Starks back. He is solid if not spectacular and would be the perect "team guy" to groom Adams. However, this is not last year when he came back to an offense he knew down pat. With the change Haley is putting in especially with the blocking calls we need to get Starks back in sooner rather than later.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Looks like old Willie is trying to do his impersonation of a freight train. If he could get that frame moving and has some body control...I would hate to see what he will do on Counter 34 Pike. Oh wait...Here is what ol Ray Ray will see. Looks like he has been beefin up for his new role.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
You will have to click on image to see what I am talking about.

Chadman
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Colon's got some impressive guns on him..

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM

I guess the weight room has become a familiar sight to him even after rehab. I don't think he will lose many "leverage" battles at LG. I can't wait to see what he could do on the move getting his helmet under a LB's facemask when he pulls. That is the only question mark in my mind is what he can do on the move. Does he have good enough feet and body control in space to turn up in a hole and hit a moving target. I think he will be stout on the interior and very solid in pass pro which is an upgrade over Foster & Bronco. If he can give you what Kemo gave the Steelers when pulling...God help whomever is standing in his way. If he is...Having the tandem of Colon & Decastro removes the handing and really will have teams struggling for gameplans against the run.

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM

Those aren't guns those are 16" cannons from a battleship.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2012, 12:26 PM
http://morgan1981.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/gun-show.png

phillyesq
05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Article from Wolfley:

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/05/1467/

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Steelers’ Colon once again trying to walk in Faneca’s footsteps

By Scott Brown - Tribune-Review
Published: Monday, June 11, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=ev6Ld vkP186IUo1xuNP5v8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYusJdH8i0RlM3Q zVRnEL0tYWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon during OTAs June, 2012

His first reaction when he walked into the Steelers’ locker room and saw he would dress next to Alan Faneca? Oh, no!

It’s not that Willie Colon, a wide-eyed rookie from a school that doesn’t even have football anymore, had heard bad things about Faneca. He simply was in awe of the perennial Pro Bowl guard.

Colon didn’t dare talk to the legend to the left of him. And Faneca didn’t talk to Colon until near the end of the 2006 season, after Colon had taken over at right tackle for the injured Max Starks.

“Once I started being a professional, that’s when he acknowledged me,” said Colon, a fourth-round pick out of Hofstra in 2006. “As I’m sitting right where he (was), I can get it, because if you’re right-minded, you’re professional and you’re strong-willed, you want people who are like that next to you. He didn’t know how I was as a person or a ballplayer until I actually had a chance to show him.”

Six years later, Colon is hoping to measure up to another lofty standard set by Faneca.

Colon has moved from right tackle to left guard, the position Faneca gold-plated during 10 seasons in Pittsburgh. And his transition continues today when the Steelers convene for a three-day mandatory minicamp at their South Side headquarters.

Colon has worked at left guard since the start of offseason practice, and he could provide consistency the position has lacked since the Steelers allowed Faneca to leave as a free agent following the 2007 season.

Colon has the same nasty disposition as Chris Kemoeatu, the primary starter at left guard the past four seasons, and he is a proven NFL lineman, having excelled as a right tackle when healthy. What really gives the Steelers hope that Colon can become a premier guard is he has embraced change despite being an established veteran.

“If he was reluctant and didn’t want to be a guard, it wouldn’t work,” Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler said. “Willie wants to be the best guard he can be, and he’s working on it. He’s constantly there in the film room, constantly asking questions. Things he’s made mistakes on, he wants to work on. I think he’s going to be an excellent guard, and he’s only going to benefit us up front.”

Colon started 54 consecutive games at right tackle from 2006-09, and he has had to adjust to his new position. The 6-foot-3, 315-pounder is playing in a more confined space and working more with the interior lineman. He also will pull frequently — if the Steelers’ recent tendencies are any indication — something Colon didn’t do as a tackle.

Pulling will require Colon to be patient yet explosive before the start of a play.

“Willie has a lot of the natural assets and skill to be a great left guard,” former Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks said. “He is a strong and powerful dude. He likes to get nasty in the trenches, so I think it is a really good move.”

Colon is the most experienced player on an offensive line that could start two rookies in 2012. That stature makes him shake his head when he recalls his first few seasons with the Steelers.

“I’ll get a tap on the shoulder. ‘Hey, what were you thinking on this play?’ Or ‘Why did you set like this?’ ” Colon said. “It baffles me because I’m like, ‘Wow, I was that guy that was tapping Alan Faneca on the shoulder, and I was the guy tapping Marvel Smith on the shoulder.’ I wear it with pride, but I (also) wear it with humbleness.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1925985-85/colon-steelers-guard-faneca-tackle-didn-willie-position-agent-alan[/QUOTE]

hawaiiansteel
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Colon missed his first love

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
June 18, 2012

For a man who eats, breathes and sleeps football, a man who has put football ahead of other things in his life, a man who treats it like it's his first love, having it taken away from him the last two years has been challenging for Steelers guard Willie Colon.

Colon suffered a torn ACL before the 2010 season, bringing his season to an abrupt and disappointing ending before it even got started.

“I think the first year was really tough for me,” said Colon. “I felt like I was getting everything. You talk to the older players and they say it takes two to three years to get in the groove. I felt like I had a good spring and was turning it up as far as being a legit tackle in the league. There was so much work I was putting in so when it happened it blew my mind. “

Colon worked his tail off to get back on the field for the 2011 season opener against Baltimore, never easing up and was proud of how far he had come and excited to be playing again. But it didn’t last long. He tore his triceps muscle against the Ravens, and for the second-straight year found himself on injured reserve.

“The second time was the hardest,” said Colon. “As a player you think you are going to have only one big injury in your career. I thought that was it. I had a good camp, week one I felt good in Baltimore. I was back in the groove.

“When I tore my triceps I didn’t think about it. I knew it hurt but at the same time it was a normal football injury. When (athletic trainer) John Norwig told me I was going to be out again that was the hardest. I thought I was done with injuries. It was heart breaking.”

Colon couldn’t help but ask himself, why me? What have I done to deserve this?

“That is the number one question. You wonder who did I tick off ,” said Colon. “The toughest thing in life is to accept reality. I realized this is my reality and I can either cry about it or get back on the horse and get better and work from it. That is how I approached it, every day getting better and staying positive.”

Keeping that positive attitude wasn’t always easy. There were definitely rough patches, times when disappointment meshed with anger, creating some long days, and even longer nights.

“You hear Coach (Mike) Tomlin talk about the love affair with this game,” said Colon. “I have a deep love affair with it. I have sacrificed relationships, my own body and mind, my every day growth to be a football player.

“There is so much that goes into this game. You have to have balance, though. If you don’t have balance you can fall off the deep end. I fell off that deep end and was able to climb back up that ladder. I just have to take it day by day.”

Colon made the choice to stay involved when he was injured and offensive line coach Sean Kugler embraced that and was a rock for Colon. He attended meetings, helping younger players, attended practice, and made sure he was there all of the time. It helped his teammates, but it helped him even more.

“I just wanted to cling to everything football had to offer, being around the guys and stuff,” said Colon. “I wasn’t ready to leave it. Every inch of it I grabbed on to. Part of that was being in the meeting room, on the sidelines, being a rah-rah guy. It helped me feel like football wasn’t leaving me.”

The ACL injury is well in Colon’s rearview mirror, and the triceps injury is headed there as well. He is back to where he was before the injury, now working at left guard as he revealed last week. He came back early this offseason, one of just a handful of starters who has consistently been at the team’s practice facility well before he had to.

“I was out for so long I missed it,” said Colon. “I felt like I needed to catch up. I needed to get back in the groove. One of the hardest things was getting back in the groove of things, the schedule. I just wanted to get back to that, feel it and go through the daily transition of what it takes to be a ball player.

“I learned a lot about myself during the injuries. I had a lot of dark nights, wanted to give up. But it made me think about how much I love the game, and I thought about the good times and it lit my fire. I love coming out of the tunnel and hearing the fans cheer. That feeling you get in your gut, the nerves. I still have that in my belly. That kept me going. Even now, when I see my helmet, put my cleats on, I still have that fire that I want to play football.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Colon-missed-his-first-love/e641b719-15df-4025-ae08-e6c7e472dfe0

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I think Colon staying involved throughout his injuries, attending meetings, going to practice, helping out the younger guys, etc. had a huge impact on the decision to give him the extension after the 2010 season that was lost to injury (I believe it was an Achilles injury, not an ACL as Varley reports above). A lot of the reasons for hits/misses in the draft has to do with guesswork involving how much a guy truly loves the game. Colon's attitude during these injuries has displayed his passion toward the game, and it is great to have guys like this around. Marginally talented guys with great attitudes who love this game tend to be more valuable pieces than supremely talented guys with poor attitudes who only play the game for a paycheck.

Slapstick
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't even consider Colon only marginally talented...

I think we'll see him shine even brighter as a Guard...

Also, it will lessen the possibility of him lining up too far off the ball, which he did entirely too often...

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Steelers LG Willie Colon Offers Insight Behind Two Season-Ending Injuries

by Neal Coolong on Jun 19, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4398072/GYI0063276512.jpg

Steelers then right tackle Willie Colon made it through all 64 plays in the Steelers' opening loss to Baltimore - a 35-7 shellacking by the eventual AFC North champions.

As if that loss wasn't hard enough to take, the following week he lost something else; again.

His season.

The mental makeup of a professional athlete is just as extraordinary as his/her physical gifts. Dealing with setback after setback has to be difficult.

But as Steelers.com writer Theresa Varley pens, Colon is just as tough mentally as physically.

Colon really lets his hair down - pun intended - in the interview on Steelers.com. More than anything, the interview shows Colon's commitment to the team. Instead of staying away from the facility, Colon embraced his leadership role, working with his replacement - then rookie Marcus Gilbert - as well as the rest of what was generally a young offensive line in 2011.

"I just wanted to cling to everything football had to offer, being around the guys and stuff," Colon told Varley. "I wasn't ready to leave it. Every inch of it I grabbed on to. Part of that was being in the meeting room, on the sidelines, being a rah-rah guy. It helped me feel like football wasn't leaving me."

Unfortunately for him, he had experience. After missing the Steelers run to the Super Bowl in 2010, Colon had chosen to stick around the team, helping the rest of the offensive line as well as coach Sean Kugler and QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Guys don't get contract extensions like Colon did after missing a season if a team doesn't want him around.

It's a different world in 2012. The Steelers offensive line shows all the reason in the world to think what was once a weakness will be a strength. Colon, whose physical build as well as mentality makes him seemingly more suitable for an interior lineman, will play left guard this season. His move there, along with first-round draft pick RG David DeCastro and C Maurkice Pouncey, could give the Steelers one of the most formidable interior offensive lines in football.

Pouncey is recovering from injuries that kept him down much of 2011, and DeCastro's work ethic and technical savvy give the Steelers versatility - all three can pull, all three can maul and all three can pass protect.

Colon's got the edge in adversity experienced, though.

"I learned a lot about myself during the injuries. I had a lot of dark nights, wanted to give up. But it made me think about how much I love the game, and I thought about the good times and it lit my fire. I love coming out of the tunnel and hearing the fans cheer. That feeling you get in your gut, the nerves. I still have that in my belly. That kept me going. Even now, when I see my helmet, put my cleats on, I still have that fire that I want to play football."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/19/3096509/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-line-willie-colon-injuries-maurkice-pouncey-david-decastro

Jackson
06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Is this Colon clown still on the team? If so,why? How many years does it take to find an upgrade over a nonentity like this guy. The Ravens do it all the time. They must like Willie. Or feel sorry for him. Is he really a serious candidate to make this team?

hawaiiansteel
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Is this Colon clown still on the team? If so,why? How many years does it take to find an upgrade over a nonentity like this guy. The Ravens do it all the time. They must like Willie. Or feel sorry for him. Is he really a serious candidate to make this team?

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/steelerscamp91.jpg

Chadman
06-22-2012, 02:37 AM

colon-clown? Is that like an a$$ clown? Only more specific?

Chadman
06-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Don't you just wish we'd drafted Brad Smelley this year? Then line him up next to Colon...