PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Beachum earns Master's Degree and delivers commencement address at graduation!

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Seems to be another impressive 7th round pick in the Baron Batch mold.

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/news/2012/Kelvin_grad_article1.jpg

Beachum delivers commencement address
Posted 15 hours ago

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Life certainly has been good for Kelvin Beachum recently.

The former SMU offensive lineman was drafted by the Steelers in the seventh-round a few weeks ago, helping him fulfill his dream of playing in the NFL.

Then on Saturday, not only did Beachum receive his Master’s degree from SMU, but he also delivered the commencement address for his class at SMU’s Simmons School of Education & Human Development.

“It was a tremendous honor,” said Beachum. “I didn’t know all of these things would be happening for me. Getting drafted, addressing your peers at graduation. It’s an honor, a privilege and something you could never plan for.”

Beachum received his undergraduate degree in Economics from SMU and then continued his education earning his Masters in Liberal Studies with a concentration on organizational behavior in only 16 months.

“I don’t know the statistics on how many people go into the NFL with their Masters, but to be able to succeed on the football field and in the classroom go hand in hand for me,” said Beachum. “You have to work hard on the football field and in the classroom just to be able to stay on the field.”

It wasn’t easy for Beachum to find the perfect balance between football and his education, as football has been the dream and he wanted to keep that his main focus.

“Football has always been my priority,” said Beachum. “My priorities are God, family and football. Football always came before school, even though I was a student-athlete. It was difficult to get to the Master’s degree and make sure I was caught up. I took on the challenges to make sure I was successful. My focus on football has never changed.

“My goal was to finish my Masters now. I didn’t want to go to the NFL and have to think about when I could go back to school. I wanted it all done. When you are in school you have school and football. You have to take time for both. With the Masters being done I can go in and all of my time will now be devoted to football, something that I love and allow me to do what I need to do to be successful in the National Football League.”

Beachum shared with his fellow students the importance of maintaining a strong will to succeed, being a positive example and overcoming challenges.

“I love testing my will, I love challenges, and I love being a positive example,” Beachum said in his speech. “My will has been truly tested. I have tested it, and others have tested it. My will has become strong and this strength, I believe, has made me a better person, better able to tackle some big, tough things in life.

“We have all faced challenges. I have faced many challenges. I have been told ‘you can’t, won’t, and shouldn’t.’ We have overcome past challenges to be graduating today. We will certainly be facing challenges in our futures.

“A strong will and ability to face challenges helps me to be a positive example for others. Each of us is an example to others. Being a positive example is a choice, it takes a will to act. With a will to face challenges and be an example, I strived to achieve the unimaginable.”

Beachum took great pride in having his family on hand to hear the speech. His father, Kelvin, Sr., had to halt his education after the eighth grade to lend a hand at home. His mother, Culetta, had him when she was 18 and didn’t finish her college degree until after he earned his undergraduate degree.

“I am the first person in my family to graduate from college and get a Masters,” said Beachum. “There are a lot of emotions going on. My father (Kelvin, Sr.) graduated with an eighth grade education. My grandfather was blind so he had to stop his education to help make ends meet as a young teenager.”

Beachum addressed the way his father tested his will as a young kid through sports, teaching him the importance of winning and losing.

“When I think about my father, as a child, I often wondered why he would place me on a team that did not win regularly or not at all,” Beachum told him fellow graduates. “I was usually a part of teams with individuals of lesser talent, sub-par desire, and very poor work ethic. Always losing as a child was hard and frustrating. As I matured I asked my father, ‘Why did you always place me on teams that did not win?’ He said, ‘Kelvin, you have to learn how to lose before one can learn how to win.’”

One thing is for sure, Beachum has learned how to be a winner.

“For them to see their son grow up and say he was going to do something and do it, it’s everything they asked for,” said Beachum. “They always told us if you say you are going to do something, do it to the fullest of your abilities.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Beachum-delivers-commencement-address/26a054dd-21f2-4c66-a901-1eb6561e8f15

Djfan
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Cool beans.

Oviedo
05-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Surely a guy with a Masters can long snap!!!!!!!!!

Seems like a grounded young man. Type of person you hope makes the team.

Kelvin--Please practice your long snapping. Practice. Practice. Practice.

8467thekraken
05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I second that motion. That would be huge, freeing up a roster spot. Sorry Gregg, but it's business. Not personal.

Va Steelr
05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
You gotta root for this kid !!!

Sugar
05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
You gotta root for this kid !!!

Agreed. For the "questionable character" types that some have criticized the team for, this is a really good egg that you'd like to see make it.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Steelers' Other Rookie Lineman Impressing

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Jun 13, 2012

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/107/1077058.jpg

Kelvin Beachum is the Steelers' other rookie offensive lineman, but the team's final draft pick has impressed many in a short period of time.

Trai Essex knows a smart, young player when he sees one. And he sees one in rookie Kelvin Beachum.
“The kid is smart,” said Essex. “He came in right away and learned the playbook like that.”

Essex snapped his fingers for effect, but wasn’t done talking about the left tackle/guard the Steelers drafted with their fourth pick of the seventh round.

“And he’s talented,” Essex said. “He has some really long arms and has a really good set at tackle. He’s on the small side so they’ll probably move him inside. He’s probably going to have to be like me. He’s going to have to pick up the other positions real fast. I told him that’s one of the reasons I’ve been around here for eight years. He’s going to have to learn to play multiple positions and do it fast. He’s taken it to heart and is really working hard. I think he has a lot of potential.”

Essex isn’t the only one who thinks that way. Beachum impressed the Steelers with his intelligence during OTAs when he worked as the second-team left guard. The appearance of first-round pick David DeCastro this week kicked Beachum to the third team, but Beachum bounced back up to second-team left tackle yesterday upon the absence of Marcus Gilbert.

“He’s pretty bright. I think he could survive at Northwestern,” said Essex, a Northwestern man.

Beachum laughed over the vet’s dig. He gets it.

“Oh, you know, I pride myself on working hard,” Beachum said. “When I get in somewhere I do my best to get it, to find a way to get it, to understand it.

“One thing about learning is not so much being able to engulf the information, but also be able to regurgitate it, to teach it to someone else. And that’s the part I’m aiming for right now. I’m not saying I know the offense completely, but I have a good grasp of it. But I still don’t have it like I want it, where I can teach it to somebody else.”

The 6-3, 303-pound Beachum has a degree in Economics from SMU and a Master’s degree in Liberal Studies, which he earned thanks to cram sessions at the NFL combine.

To stamp the occasion, the dean of the master’s program asked Beachum to give a commencement speech to his class at the Simmons School of Education. He was one of two asked to speak.

“I talked about challenges, about testing your will,” Beachum said. “It was pretty simple, real straightforward, just some different things I had encountered while I was getting the Master’s, and then also some of the things I experienced in my childhood. I talked about my father a little bit.”

Kelvin Beachum, Sr. runs an auto shop in Kelvin Jr.’s hometown of Mexia, Texas, located about 40 miles east of Waco in the middle of the state. Kelvin Jr. spoke of his dad’s “thriving business” in spite of an education that ended in the eighth grade.

“When it’s all said and over with, I want to be an authority figure who’s also a role model for young African-Americans,” Beachum said. “Just being able to pave the way for people of all races and ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds to be successful in life, and I think I can do it as an authority figure. I’ve got the economic background to understand the money side of it, and then also the organization dynamics, which is what the Master’s was in – being able to handle big-time organizations, understanding the inner workings of how an organization works.”

As an organization, the Steelers have always intrigued Beachum. “It’s the stability,” he said. “My grandparents on both sides have been married for over 45 years. They’re still alive. My dad and my mother have been married 24 years. I’m 23. We stayed in the same house – 205 West Walnut Street – for as long as I’ve been alive. Just stability; I love stability. I love structure.

“I’m not saying I can’t change or I can’t adapt or I can’t develop, but having that structure the Steelers have here is what I love. I mean, we go out and practice and you know what you’re going to get from coach (Mike) Tomlin. We have one goal and that’s to win the Super Bowl. I love that and I can handle that. It’s very specific and right down to the point.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1194723.html

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
The 6-3, 303-pound Beachum has a degree in Economics from SMU and a Master’s degree in Liberal Studies, which he earned thanks to cram sessions at the NFL combine.

Another stark contrast to Mike Adams "checking out" of classes this semester, watching the film that Kugler sent him during class.

I expect David DeCastro to be another Alan Faneca...an all-around great guard in this league.

I expect Kelvin Beachum to be another Trai Essex...a smart, versatile backup option for us.

I hope Mike Adams can become another Marvel Smith...another player who had well-documented weed issues in college but settled down to be a solid player in the pros...but I'm not expecting anything from him just yet.

flippy
06-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I expect Kelvin Beachum to be another Trai Essex...

Is that a compliment ;)

phillyesq
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Is that a compliment ;)

For all the grief that Essex gets, he can back up all five positions, which has value. If Beachum can turn into another Essex, I would be thrilled.

Slapstick
06-14-2012, 03:02 PM
The problem isn't necessarily how Essex played...if Beachum can perform like a Trai Essex, I would also be thrilled...

It's that Essex was a 3rd round pick and Beachum was a 7th round pick...

phillyesq
06-14-2012, 03:41 PM
The problem isn't necessarily how Essex played...if Beachum can perform like a Trai Essex, I would also be thrilled...

It's that Essex was a 3rd round pick and Beachum was a 7th round pick...

At the time, Essex seemed like a tremendous reach. And I suppose you want more starts out of a third rounder than what Essex has provided. However, he has turned out better than a lot of third round picks the Steelers have made.

Slapstick
06-14-2012, 03:46 PM
At the time, Essex seemed like a tremendous reach. And I suppose you want more starts out of a third rounder than what Essex has provided. However, he has turned out better than a lot of third round picks the Steelers have made.

I concur...

But, in some ways, that's like being an exceptionally tall dwarf...

Crash
06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Essex is a great pick. I mean c'mon, he's been on this team 7 years. Well done.

flippy
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
For all the grief that Essex gets, he can back up all five positions, which has value. If Beachum can turn into another Essex, I would be thrilled.

I was only half kidding. I do think Essex has done well backing up at LT, but hasn't done as well in other spots. But his willingness to do it all shows character and smarts.

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Essex is a great pick.

the words "Essex" and "great" really shouldn't be used in the same sentence...

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
the words "Essex" and "great" really shouldn't be used in the same sentence...

"Trai Essex has a great big ol' gut." :p

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Trai+Essex+Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Detroit+Lions+Ucs 9tMKX0mUl.jpg

Crash
06-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Don't be a hater.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Don't be a hater.

I did pay Kelvin Beacham a compliment earlier in this thread by comparing him favorably to Trai Essex (and his great big ol' gut).

phillyesq
06-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I concur...

But, in some ways, that's like being an exceptionally tall dwarf...

Yeah, I hear ya. Obviously, you have higher hopes for a third round pick.

But there is certainly value to a guy to can back up every spot on the line.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Kraig Urbik, Bruce Davis, Anthony Smith, Willie Reid, Kendrick Clancy, Hank Poteat, Kris Farris, Chris Conrad, Paul Wiggins, Steven Conley, etc.

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Colbert: Steelers' offense is progressing

By Scott Brown
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=wI14E ZQrAMO3DxgsizyXTM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYs5MzboxDaxbIa 23zisq12yWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert watches practice at St. Vincent College July 30, 2011. (Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review)

The Steelers are off until July 25, when players report to St. Vincent College in Latrobe for training camp. The Tribune-Review caught up with general manager Kevin Colbert at the end of offseason practices, and he weighed in on the new offense and the situation at left tackle.

• Tribune-Review: From what you observed during offseason practices, did players make good progress as far as picking up the new offense?

• Kevin Colbert: I’m not listening to what’s being said intimately after a play. There’s not a lot of physical errors I guess is the best way to say it: new offense, people learning about the offense and coaches learning about people, I think there will be some mistakes. I think that’s just part of the growing process. It’s way too early to tell, but visibly I didn’t see a lot of mistakes or corrections being made, no more than usual.

• Trib: Did anyone stand out to you?

• KC: I think we were pleasantly surprised (with rookie) Kelvin Beachum and his versatility. I think he’ll be able to play guard and tackle, and some day he might be able to play center. He’s a versatile, very intelligent kid. He was a left tackle at SMU. He’s probably a little undersized for tackle in the NFL, but he’s got the arm length and the feet. Whether he can do it at this level, who knows? But he’s athletic enough to play guard, and I think he’s smart enough to play center someday. I think (Leonard) Pope gives us some stability at the tight end position from a veteran standpoint.

• Trib: Is there a backup plan if Mike Adams isn’t ready to play left tackle, and if so, does that plan include Max Starks?

• KC: We’re monitoring (Starks’) health, we’ll see how he develops, but Max is coming off a serious injury, and his readiness we don’t know yet. We won’t know until you get closer to camp and he’s had more rehab.

• Trib: Do you feel like this team can be a Super Bowl contender?

• KC: I have no idea. You don’t know what kind of team you’ve got until it starts to unfold because you don’t know the competition. We have one focus right now, and that’s to beat Denver. Beyond that, none of us know, and we won’t know until we get through it. Right now it’s let’s get ready for Denver.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2007561-85/think-colbert-offense-tackle-team-trib-beachum-general-kelvin-kevin?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29

Jackson
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Fine young man. Still, he wasn't worth a draft pick.

Oviedo
06-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Time will tell. I'm betting he may be better than Foster or Legursky when it is all said and done.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM

The draft as a whole is a crap shoot, and particularly so when talking about late round picks and UDFA's. No one knows who might pan out amongst these players at this point, but guys who are intelligent, hard workers with high character have a better shot at beating the odds as opposed to immature knuckleheads with more natural talent.

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Long shot from SMU not ordinary lineman

By Bob Cohn
Published: Sunday, August 5, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=bFUcF tVguKU998PjMH3tks$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsPQqVLGjkeJ3E QOGC_4q2nWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum during practice at St. Vincent College

The Kelvin Beachum File

Born: Jan. 1, 1990

Hometown: Mexia, Texas

Position: Tackle/guard

Size: 6-foot-3, 303 pounds

College: Southern Methodist

Drafted: 7th round (No. 248 overall)

Highlights: Four-year starter at left tackle at SMU; Conference USA first team (2010, 2011); All-Academic Conference USA team (2011); National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society (2011).

Steelers rookie Kelvin Beachum has two degrees from Southern Methodist. He delivered a commencement address to his graduate school class, served on the athletics subcommittee of the Board of Trustees and was president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, and belonged to other organizations.

Many are impressed with Beachum’s resume. He, at least for now, is not.

“Nobody cares,” he said. “I’m ready to stop talking about it. I’m ready to play football.”

Beachum will talk about it, if asked, because he is good-natured and polite. He says “sir” a lot. But he mainly is intense and focused, and his sole concern right now is making the Steelers as a guard or tackle or both, or any other place they can use him. As a seventh-round draft pick, he faces long odds. The Steelers also spent their first two picks on offensive linemen.

“It doesn’t matter,” Beachum said. “I’m here.”

“Here” is training camp at St. Vincent College. Among Beachum’s new and varied experiences was a useful lunchtime chat with defensive end Brett Keisel , a former seventh-round pick who began his Steelers’ career in 2002.

“That sort of brought perspective to the whole thing,” Beachum said. “He asked where I was drafted, and I said 248 (overall). He said he was 242. He’s like, ‘It doesn’t matter how you get here. If you get here, do something special. Show the coaches something special every day.’ That’s something I’m trying to do, and hopefully I can be here as long as he has.”

Beachum played left tackle for SMU but moved to guard during the Steelers’ minicamp in June. Now he is playing both positions. A former high school basketball star, he is quick, athletic and smart. Listed at 6-foot-3, 303 pounds, he is not especially large or powerful.

“I’m not the typical, 330-pound mauler,” he said. “I play with leverage. I play with athleticism. I play with what I have.”

“He has functional strength,” said offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who nevertheless added that he likes what he sees so far.

“He’s got excellent feet and a professional attitude. I’m excited about him. He’s got a long way to go. He’s raw in many ways. We’re trying to teach him two positions. But I think he’s catching on faster than I even expected.

“If you look at the background of this kid, it’s really amazing. He’s well-rounded, and to me, that translates to football. You’ve got to be smart. You’ve got to adjust to things on the move. He’s ahead of the curve there. He’s a very mature kid for his age.”

Beachum has a mean streak, which he flashed early on in a couple of scuffles during drills. He said he was just trying to finish his blocks the way he was taught. His college position coach, Adrian Klemm, a former guard for the Patriots and Packers, preached “seven seconds of violence,” and Beachum and his linemates tagged themselves, “The Goon Squad.”

“It’s all about competing,”said Beachum, who grew up a Steelers fan in the middle of Texas, (his father, Kelvin Sr., is a big Cowboys fan). “That’s what we’re here to do: competing, finishing, doing what the coaches ask. All they ask is that you finish. Sometimes things can be escalated.”

Beachum’s orneriness stems also from a career mission to prove doubters wrong, to rise above what he calls “stereotypes and assumptions.” Lightly recruited out of Mexia, Texas, a small town near Waco, he became a four-year starter at SMU, won All-Conference USA honors and got drafted. He showed up with a public school background that was perhaps lacking compared to some other students at the prestigious, private university, yet he still managed to excel.

Beachum, who has a bachelor’s degree in economics and a master’s in organizational dynamics, said much of his off-field service was devoted to trying to narrow a rift between athletes, especially black athletes, and the rest of the university community. He sought to provide athletes with a greater voice on campus and dispel those stereotypes and assumptions that exist in what he called a somewhat “snobby and ritzy” campus atmosphere. “They thought we were just there to play football,” he said.

He said he wants to be “an authority figure” to kids. In his graduation speech, Beachum spoke of testing his will and “facing many challenges,” he said. “I have been told, ‘You can’t, won’t or shouldn’t.’”

“I saw his potential as an athlete and saw his willingness to learn and take advantage of the opportunity he was given,” said former Southern Methodist athletic director Steve Orisini, who encouraged Beachum’s participation on the board. “For a lot of young people, it doesn’t click later in life, the realization that, ‘Hey, I’ve got a great opportunity here, and I want to make the most of it.’”

Monique Holland, a senior associate athletic director at SMU who worked closely with Beachum, predicted, “He’s gonna be a great role model in the NFL. He’ll never lose his values. That’s just gonna be him.”

Beachum said he had a practical reason for accelerating his studies.

“I wanted to get it out of the way so I could concentrate on football,” he said. “I’m not that smart. I just work hard.”

Educational values were instilled early by his mother, Culetta, who gave birth to Beachum when she was 19 and quickly had three more children. There were rules: No TV during the week and always a book to read. She would give her kids spelling tests. If they missed a word, they had to write it 20 times.

“I wanted them to be better than Mom,” she said. “I was just thankful to finish high school. I pushed education.”

Beachum was first in his family to graduate from college, narrowly beating out his mother. A psychological assistant at a state mental health facility, Culetta Beachum got her associate’s degree in 2008 and her bachelor’s degree online three years later. Kelvin Sr. never got past eighth grade but owns a successful car repair shop in Mexia. Beachum’s grandfather, John Wesley Beachum, fixes transmissions even though he was shot and blinded during a family dispute more than 60 years ago.

“He can pull a transmission and rebuild it like nobody’s business,” said Beachum, who is known as K.J. (for Kelvin Jr.) back in Mexia.

On Dec. 16, the Steelers play Dallas at Cowboys Stadium. Said Culetta Beachum, “The plan is to be there.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2305811-85/beachum-steelers-kelvin-college-smu-football-former-guard-mexia-tackle

Oviedo
08-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Kraig Urbik, Bruce Davis, Anthony Smith, Willie Reid, Kendrick Clancy, Hank Poteat, Kris Farris, Chris Conrad, Paul Wiggins, Steven Conley, etc.

Kraig Urbik is an NFL starter. Just sayin'

NorthCoast
08-06-2012, 09:09 AM
The draft as a whole is a crap shoot, and particularly so when talking about late round picks and UDFA's. No one knows who might pan out amongst these players at this point, but guys who are intelligent, hard workers with high character have a better shot at beating the odds as opposed to immature knuckleheads with more natural talent.

This.

We need more young guys that can pick up the game sooner rather than later. Had enough of the Kemos in the world... physically gifted and given tons of opportunity but too often couldn't find his way out of a paper bag.

BURGH86STEEL
08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. Obviously, you have higher hopes for a third round pick.

But there is certainly value to a guy to can back up every spot on the line.

Based on one study that was done, 3rd round picks only have a 30% chance of ever becoming starters.

Many 3rd round picks don't appear to last past 1st contracts with the teams where those players were drafted.

Not sure high fan's hopes should be of 3rd round picks based on that knowledge.

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Imagine the conversations in a Latrobe dorm room between the likes of Kelvin Beachum, Myron Rolle, Baron Batch, Troy Polamalu, etc. and compare that to the average conversation taking place at Cincy Bengals thug camp.

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Hard work pays off for Beachum

Posted by Teresa Varley on September 3, 2012

Kelvin Beachum went to sleep last Thursday night following the Steelers final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers knowing he did exactly what Coach Mike Tomlin said.

“Coach Tomlin told us to control what you can control,” said Beachum. “Go out there and finish as hard as you can, know what to do and enjoy the game. I took that approach and did all I could. I got home, prayed, went to sleep and got on a plane the next morning and went about my day.”

While many rookies and young players waited in a hotel room in Pittsburgh for news of their fate on Friday, the day NFL teams had to get down to the 53-man roster, Beachum flew home to Texas for a few days to visit family while he waited for word on his football future.

“I knew whatever happened this was the last time I was going to see the family for a while, regardless of the situation,” said Beachum. “I wanted to make sure I got to see them, my grandparents, my little sister, I wanted to spend time with family before the decision came down.”

He didn’t have to wait too long for his phone to ring.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” said Beachum, the Steelers final seventh-round pick out of SMU. “Coach (Sean) Kugler called me around noon. I was in the car with one of my friends from school. I didn’t know what to think at the time. I wanted to be positive, but I didn’t know what to expect.

“He called and asked if I was waiting on a call. I told him yeah. He said what if that call is to tell you that you made the team. I told him that is what I am talking about, in a much more excited manner than that.”

And one of the best things for Beachum was he got to share that excitement and joy with his family right there.

“It’s wonderful, it’s indescribable,” said Beachum. “The emotions, the way your family is just overwhelmed that one of their own has made it to a level such as this.

“It was awesome. My parents were happy, my grandparents didn’t know what to say, what to think. It was an important moment and I am glad I made the decision to go there with them for that.”

Now it’s time for Beachum to take it to the next level. He saw the other side of what happens on cut down day when veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex was released. It opened his eyes to what it takes to make it in the NFL.

“I really see it for the business it is and how much work, time and commitment you have to put into this job and career to make it,” said Beachum. “Not only to make it, but to stay here. That is the thing now. Yes I made it, but now I have to put in even more work to stay here.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/03/hard-work-pays-off-for-beachum/

Oviedo
09-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I like Beachum's potential but as the preseason demonstrated he needs to get stronger and adjust to the speed of the game. He seems like the type of guy who will be able to do that.

Djfan
09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
He can't be a downgrade, even if he doesn't pan out.

Good to see the O line getting this attention.

papillon
09-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Surely a guy with a Masters can long snap!!!!!!!!!

Seems like a grounded young man. Type of person you hope makes the team.

Kelvin--Please practice your long snapping. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Really, Ovi, trying to eliminate Greg Warren's job with some lineman that hasn't practiced long snapping 2 hours a day for the past 15 years, really? Everyone knows that you just can't pick up this skill in a year or two of practicing, that's why the Steelers need Greg Warren, instead of having room for say Jerrod Johnson or another developmental player.

The long snapper and the "protector" are the two jobs in the NFL that just simply boggle my mind. I know you don't want snaps going over the head of the punter's or holder's head, but I find it almost impossible to believe that if a guy (already on the 53 man) practices long snapping he couldn't gain command over this skill very quickly and the same goes for the punter protector.

Those are two valuable spots for football players to develop that might actually play in more than 5 snaps per game. I'll never understand this, but every team does it and all I did was stay at a Holiday Inn last night. So, long snapping must be the most ridiculously hard skill to master in the NFL. If the Steelers took a linebacker or tight end and had them practice for a year, are you really going to tell me that couldn't become a good long snapper?

I know about Harrison, he stepped up in a bad situation and tried to long snap, he didn't practice long snapping, if he practiced I'm sure he could master the skill.

Pappy

Slapstick
09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Really, Ovi, trying to eliminate Greg Warren's job with some lineman that hasn't practiced long snapping 2 hours a day for the past 15 years, really? Everyone knows that you just can't pick up this skill in a year or two of practicing, that's why the Steelers need Greg Warren, instead of having room for say Jerrod Johnson or another developmental player.

The long snapper and the "protector" are the two jobs in the NFL that just simply boggle my mind. I know you don't want snaps going over the head of the punter's or holder's head, but I find it almost impossible to believe that if a guy (already on the 53 man) practices long snapping he couldn't gain command over this skill very quickly and the same goes for the punter protector.

Those are two valuable spots for football players to develop that might actually play in more than 5 snaps per game. I'll never understand this, but every team does it and all I did was stay at a Holiday Inn last night. So, long snapping must be the most ridiculously hard skill to master in the NFL. If the Steelers took a linebacker or tight end and had them practice for a year, are you really going to tell me that couldn't become a good long snapper?

I know about Harrison, he stepped up in a bad situation and tried to long snap, he didn't practice long snapping, if he practiced I'm sure he could master the skill.

Pappy

Long snapping is a low profile job that is easy to do...

Until it isn't...

J. Johnson could have easily been kept on the practice squad in order to develop, if the Steelers had chosen to do so...they didn't...it isn't as though Greg Warren cost Johnson his job...

If just about every team in the league keeps a LS specialist, there must be a very good reason for it...as counter-intuitive as it may seem to us...

NorthCoast
09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I see what the Steelers are trying to do. They grew tired of the talented earthmovers who weren't smart enough to figure out who to block. Now they are getting more cerebral guys that might not have the same physical talent but at least understand their assignments on a consistent basis. Having gone through the Kemo era, I can't argue with the Steelers current approach.

Shoe
09-06-2012, 01:49 AM

Essex is a great pick. I mean c'mon, he's been on this team 7 years. Well done.

From a regular guy POV, of course an 7-8 year career in the NFL is a success. But let's be practical. Let's set the regular Joe factor aside, and talk winning NFL football. Essex has been nothing more than a body, a serviceable (at best) guy.

I will say, that I like this kid's intelligence. IMO, intelligence is as large a factor for o-line as other things. (Conversely, being stupid is an especially big negative. That's why I'm not high on Adams.)