PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: Niners were overly aggressive with injured ankle

Jooser
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Oh boy, let the chatter begin....:wft

http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/4.0/img/share-bar/fb-like.png
http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/4.0/img/share-bar/share-button.png

Roethlisberger: Niners were overly aggressive with injured ankle

NFL.com
Published: May 9, 2012 at 05:41 p.m.
Updated: May 10, 2012 at 12:11 a.m.
Liked: 0 | Comments: 645

Email (http://www.nfl.com/email-a-friend?id=09000d5d828fb0ec)
Print (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828fb0ec/printable/roethlisberger-niners-were-overly-aggressive-with-injured-ankle)

Read (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828fb0ec/article/roethlisberger-niners-were-overly-aggressive-with-injured-ankle)
Discuss (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828fb0ec/comments/roethlisberger-niners-were-overly-aggressive-with-injured-ankle)

Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) said he suspected the San Francisco 49ers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF) targeted his sprained left ankle in a regular-season game last year, but the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) quarterback did not think the team participated in any foul play.

Asked about the last time he felt an opposing team was trying to cause or exacerbate a specific injury, Roethlisberger brought up last season's 20-3 loss to the 49ers in Week 16. Roethlisberger threw three interceptions and fumbled twice in the game while playing with a high ankle sprain.

Debate: Kurt Warner's remarks
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/kurt-warner-120507-65x90.jpgKurt Warner created quite a stir by saying that he would rather his sons not play football. Our analysts give their thoughts. More ... (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d828edc2e)

"Um, wow, that's tough," Roethlisberger said on "The Dan Patrick Show," via Comcast SportsNet Bay Area (http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Roethlisberger-suspects-49ers?blockID=705078&feedID=5936).

"I don't really complain about that stuff, either. But I think when we played San Fran, I felt like there were some things going on, some extra ... Now, obviously, I did have the ankle and I was playing, so there was kind of a bulls-eye on there anyway. But for the most part, guys play tough and you go into a game expecting it. I expect to be tougher than them."

Roethlisberger didn't believe he had ever been the target of a "bounty" program analogous to the system the New Orleans Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) ran, in which defenders were rewarded by coaches for injuring opposing players.

"Sometimes you get guys -- things happen under piles and, you know, the little extra twisting of the ankles and poking, things like that," Roethlisberger said. "But this whole bounty thing -- I don't know if I'd sit there and say, 'Wow, that guy really tried to end my career.' Honestly, I don't know."

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think he said anything that radical. Pretty much said what it is.

Jooser
05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I think so too for the most part, but the media will run and run with it!

ikestops85
05-10-2012, 11:33 AM

I agree but when the media twists it around it's going to seem like he is whining. I wish Ben would learn to stay away from these hot button issues. I know he's just being honest and trying to answer what is asked of him but sometimes you need to avoid certain questions.

aggiebones
05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Nothing there.

And I still can't believe Ben is walking after the contortion act he did with his ankle.
Seriously, that foot was not pointing the correct direction. It couldn't have been attached properly.

steelblood
05-10-2012, 11:52 AM

I agree with you. That really isn't whining. But, this is....

Roethlisberger..." “Steelers fans and coach Tomlin and the Rooneys apparently thought B.A. was throwing the ball too much. But yesterday in coach Haley’s office, we were talking about using the no-huddle and throwing the ball and how much we have to use our weapons.”

This is from an article pasted onto the homepage of this site (about the third one down).

Let it go Ben. We all know you thought BA got a raw deal.

feltdizz
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
It's real easy to target an ankle when you wear a different color shoe. WTF was that about?

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
It's real easy to target an ankle when you wear a different color shoe. WTF was that about?

At least he didn't go Rich Karlis on us.

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/1121/photo/g_bronco_400.jpg

SteelCrazy
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Ben wants to be a hall of famer and to do that you not only need good numbers, but good answers to the media's questions.

Crash
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Ben's always been hit "extra" or "late", usually with no flag. The game at Buffalo in 2010 was a joke, and the NFL just lets it happen.

Crash
05-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree with you. That really isn't whining. But, this is....

Roethlisberger..." “Steelers fans and coach Tomlin and the Rooneys apparently thought B.A. was throwing the ball too much. But yesterday in coach Haley’s office, we were talking about using the no-huddle and throwing the ball and how much we have to use our weapons.”

This is from an article pasted onto the homepage of this site (about the third one down).

Let it go Ben. We all know you thought BA got a raw deal.

He did. Joe Flacco goes 90 yards to win the Divison and Tim Tebow throws for 316 yards and the OFFENSE is the unit that gets scrapped.

Two years of teaching YMC their playbooks, and now they get to start over.

All because the defense gets a free pass.

SteelCrazy
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
He did. Joe Flacco goes 90 yards to win the Divison and Tim Tebow throws for 316 yards and the OFFENSE is the unit that gets scrapped.

Two years of teaching YMC their playbooks, and now they get to start over.

All because the defense gets a free pass.

Our Defense got Ben his 1st ring and it did its part to get Ben his 2nd. I dont think the D got a free pass. They got rid of Farrior and Smith and I blame Tomlin for the Denver loss because he is the one who decided to leave Ike on an island all game long, not LeBeau.

Crash
05-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Our Defense got Ben his 1st ring and it did its part to get Ben his 2nd. I dont think the D got a free pass. They got rid of Farrior and Smith and I blame Tomlin for the Denver loss because he is the one who decided to leave Ike on an island all game long, not LeBeau.

Excuse me? How did Ben play in the 2005 playoffs again?

James Farrior hasn't been able to cover RBs for YEARS, and yet LeBeau left him out there doing it, for YEARS.

LeBeau runs this defense, he's run it with more authority under Tomlin than he ever had with Cowher.

SteelCrazy
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Excuse me? How did Ben play in the 2005 playoffs again?

James Farrior hasn't been able to cover RBs for YEARS, and yet LeBeau left him out there doing it, for YEARS.

LeBeau runs this defense, he's run it with more authority under Tomlin than he ever had with Cowher.

Tomlin stated he opted to run that Defense in Denver and also said he would do it again if given the option. Ben played well in the '05 playoffs, but it was our D that got us the ring. LeBeau can only play who he is given. Apparently the front office felt Farrior was the best option. Who would you have started in the middle? Foote?

Crash
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Tomlin stated he opted to run that Defense in Denver and also said he would do it again if given the option. Ben played well in the '05 playoffs, but it was our D that got us the ring. LeBeau can only play who he is given. Apparently the front office felt Farrior was the best option. Who would you have started in the middle? Foote?

WTF do you expect Tomlin to say?

I would not have James Farrior covering backs. Have Foote do it, or put an extra DB on the field.

You know, actually do some COACHING with the MILLIONS of dollars this team has invested on defense.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
There's no mercy for injured players. Going after injured players is nothing new. I'd go after Ben with his penchant for holding the ball too long at times.

Crash
05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I hope Ben plays a game like Carson Palmer does. Just throw the ball away the first sign of trouble.

Then maybe you clowns will realize just how good he is.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2012, 04:08 PM
I hope Ben plays a game like Carson Palmer does. Just throw the ball away the first sign of trouble.

Then maybe you clowns will realize just how good he is.

I think all fans want Ben as healthy as possible. Ben needs to smarten up and realize that sometimes plays are over. It's smarter to live to play another play.

Sugar
05-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I think all fans want Ben as healthy as possible. Ben needs to smarten up and realize that sometimes plays are over. It's smarter to live to play another play.

But when you've been able to make magic happen by extending the play, it's a lot harder to do that for a competitor like Ben. He's done it so often that it's hard to tell him he can't or shouldn't.

Crash
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM

And the minute he does that? People will complain and say Ben's afraid of being hit, Ben's gun shy, etc.

He is what he is, the Steelers [and some dimwitted stuck in the 70's fans] can either accept that, or do him a favor and send him on his way.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
But when you've been able to make magic happen by extending the play, it's a lot harder to do that for a competitor like Ben. He's done it so often that it's hard to tell him he can't or shouldn't.

That magic isn't happening as often as he ages. It becomes more difficult to heal from injuries that he sustains as he ages. It's seems like commons sense to play smarter. If people are ok with in injured Ben, fine. I'd rather see a as healthy as possible Ben playing in games.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2012, 04:30 PM
And the minute he does that? People will complain and say Ben's afraid of being hit, Ben's gun shy, etc.

He is what he is, the Steelers [and some dimwitted stuck in the 70's fans] can either accept that, or do him a favor and send him on his way.
People are going to complain no matter what. What's best for this team is Ben being as healthy as possible.

Sugar
05-10-2012, 04:34 PM
That magic isn't happening as often as he ages. It becomes more difficult to heal from injuries that he sustains as he ages. It's seems like commons sense to play smarter. If people are ok with in injured Ben, fine. I'd rather see a as healthy as possible Ben playing in games.

The problem is that elite athletes don't get that message until it's forced upon them. Heck, Evander Holyfield still thinks he can be Heavyweight Champ again. Part of that is because he's overcome the odds enough times to be able to do it.

Ben has been able to make that crucial play by making things happen enough times that I don't know that anyone will be able to tell him he can't until he's either forced to retire or really does become gunshy.

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Once again LeBeau has no responsibility for anything. The head coach made him do it. The GM didn't get him the players. Just more LeBeau excuses. The reality is that the guy quit innovating years ago and has been putting out the same template for the past several years. We got to the QB less last year than in the past 5-6 years and we saw no adjustments. The "father of the zone blitz" has forgotten what a blitz is except to send one of the two OLBs that most of us can anticipate with a 80% accuracy when and who is coming. He has been fortunate to have experienced veterans who carried him because they had been in the system for so long but now it is time to pay the piper.

Young players are going to have to play significant roles and they won't have three years of watching under their belts. Adjustments are going to have to be made. We'll see how that works, but I'm sure it will be Tomlin's fault, Colbert's fault or anybody but LeBeau's fault.

Crash
05-10-2012, 04:36 PM
People are going to complain no matter what. What's best for this team is Ben being as healthy as possible.

NO, what's best for this team is to actually VALUE Ben, VALUE his receivers, and realize it's 2012 and not 1975.

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
NO, what's best for this team is to actually VALUE Ben, VALUE his receivers, and realize it's 2012 and not 1975.

Truer words never were said on this board. This is not 1975 Western Pa HS football. The league has changed and is NEEVER going back. Ben is our most important player...PERIOD!!!!!

The days of winning with defense are over. You have to be able to score and score alot.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2012, 05:07 PM
The team obviously values Ben. They are not going to break the bank on WR's. IMO, WR's are below the defense in regard to winning games. Defense is still the back bone of this team. Ben hasn't shown the consistency to carry the team offensively. His sometimes unintelligent, inconsistent play is a one reason. His inability to throw for enough TD's is another reason. Ben's best is good enough. He doesn't display his best play on a consistent enough basis.

Guess you don't understand regarding Ben becoming a smarter player. If you are happy with Ben limping around the field, so be it. He was injured last season in Cleveland because of a poor decision on the field. A more intelligent QB would had thrown the ball away under that circumstance and lived to play another play.

Crash
05-10-2012, 05:14 PM
No, he was injured against Cleveland because we had 7 guys blocking and still gave up a sack when the great David Johnson whiffed his block, we had TWO receivers running pass patterns, and then his safety valve Heath Miller was hit by his own guy.

Ben is plenty consistent. Look at his career home/road splits.

Ben didn't throw for enough TDs last season because we get too worried about running the ball in the red zone.

You want to turn Ben into Carson Palmer? Trade him.

Crash
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM

JFC really?

He wore a shoe that was BIGGER than his actual size because it was taped and had a brace in it. They didn't have the same colored shoe in that size of his normal shoe.

BURGH86STEEL
05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
No, he was injured against Cleveland because we had 7 guys blocking and still gave up a sack when the great David Johnson whiffed his block, we had TWO receivers running pass patterns, and then his safety valve Heath Miller was hit by his own guy.

Ben is plenty consistent. Look at his career home/road splits.

Ben didn't throw for enough TDs last season because we get too worried about running the ball in the red zone.

You want to turn Ben into Carson Palmer? Trade him.
Johnson didn't whiff on his block. They gave up the sack because Ben held the ball too long on a designed roll out. Ben was out of the pocket. He had the option to throw the ball away if the WR's down field were covered.

feltdizz
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
JFC really?

He wore a shoe that was BIGGER than his actual size because it was taped and had a brace in it. They didn't have the same colored shoe in that size of his normal shoe.

You make it sound like he hurt his foot in the SF game.....

We had 7 days and unlimited funds to find a matching shoe.

Jooser
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
What the hell has happened to this thread? LMAO:wft

feltdizz
05-10-2012, 06:05 PM

I don't think anyone will make fun of Ben for avoiding a hit.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I have to admit, its kind of entertaining to see ovis irrational hatred of lebeau in the same thread as crashs' unconditional love for ben.

would love to see those 4 in a room together.

crash and ben would probably need their own though.

steelblood
05-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Ben Roethlisberger from the 49er game post game press conference...

There was no mountain dew in the soda machine. After the game, during the handshake, Alex Smith smelled like mountain dew. I'm not saying he stole the mountain dew from the visiting team's soda machine, but certainly he drank some that night.

fordfixer
05-10-2012, 09:46 PM
The real story would have been if the 49er's hadn't gone after Ben's ankle

SteelCrazy
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I love Ben to DEATH, but daamn, the guy isnt perfect just like our D isnt. Its a team game that cant be won on D alone or by Ben alone. How about we love everyone on this team equally? Sometimes I know why the Native American shed a tear in a commercial from 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA

fordfixer
05-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I love Ben to DEATH, but daamn, the guy isnt perfect just like our D isnt. Its a team game that cant be won on D alone or by Ben alone. How about we love everyone on this team equally? Sometimes I know why the Native American shed a tear in a commercial from 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA
Now that's that's just crazy talk.........oops sory I didn't see who's post I quoted:p

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Me Too Me Too! Should Steelers Big Ben Just Stay Quiet?

May 10th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/5817024.jpg

Seriously, check out DBuzard’s post on Big Ben’s recent shellac’ing by the media with his comments about Big Ben sort of but not really whining about having a new offensive coordinator. Ben’s got a bit of soggy ground to walk around on when he decides to open his mouth and criticize something or someone. He’s either loved or hated by the masses – either due to his annoying ability to constantly make plays when he should be lunchmeat for a defense or due to his off field ‘incidents.’ It’s only fair that those who criticize the man formally disclose their distrust and hatred for him before they tie him to the whipping post. Would Big Ben be better off turning off the ‘I Miss B.A. Switch’ for a while?

Then there is the most recent interview with Ben on the Dan Patrick Show. Every former and current football player is being asked just short of the Spanish Inquisition what their opinions are on Bountygate AND if they have ever been targeted by other players. The questions are leading and I want to throttle just about everyone over there on ESPN – especially you Cris Carter. (Think you had a hard time getting in the HOF now? Just wait.) Bountygate has exploded into a soap operatic adventure with a huge match of ‘He said, She said’ taking place between offensive and defensive players. No names are being named, and things are mainly insinuated, but every media outlet is running with something dealing with bounties.

So what does Ben have to do with this? Well turns out when asked if HE has ever been targeted by defenses, he had this to say:

“Um, wow, that’s tough. I don’t really complain about that stuff, either. But I think when we played San Fran, I felt like there were some things going on, some extra . . . Now, obviously, I did have the ankle and I was playing, so there was kind of a bull’s-eye on there anyway. But for the most part, guys play tough and you go into a game expecting it. I expect to be tougher than them.”

Wow. Nice. Not only did Big Ben decide to let his brain check out for that answer, he picked a very recent moment in history that happened in primetime when millions were watching that ankle. Of course the due diligent and Steeler hater (Seahawks beat writer and ESPN NFC West blogger) Mike Sando decided to make it his job to watch every single Steelers offensive snap for that game and decided that Ben’s ankle was never targeted. Now I personally haven’t gone back and watched every snap. But what I have done and watched stills from that game and seen many low hits on Ben – thigh or lower. Just take a look at the photo at the top of the page – a low wrap that causes the ankle to turn in the turf. In a league where high hitting ran rampant all season long, and when a defensive coordinator couldn’t get his players to hit with proper technique if a gun was pointed to his head the 49′ers defense all of a sudden decided to keep the hits low. Am I now insinuating? Perhaps. But I think it’s complete B.S to completely dismiss Roethlisberger’s thoughts about that game. I’ll find any reason to argue with that jag, Sando anyways.

So, Steeler Nation, Roethlisberger has decided to take it up on himself to suggest that the 49′ers defense was targeting his ankle. Intent to injure or just knock him out of the game? A fine line and one that players walk every game. I actually agree with Bill Romanowski that there’s a big difference with intentions of hurting and intentions of injuring. You play hard and hit even harder. You want the offense to feel pain. Pain equals an advantage. Star players sidelined for a play, series or half equals an advantage. Regardless of the 49′ers intent in that game and some of their lower shots taken at #7, should Ben really be taking the time to answer questions like that?

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/10/me-too-me-too-should-steelers-big-ben-just-stay-quiet/

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Aldon Smith says 49ers never targeted Roethlisberger’s ankle

Posted by Josh Alper on May 18, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT

In a radio interview last week, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suggested that the 49ers targeted his injured ankle during the December game between the teams.

He said he thought the 49ers were guilty of doing “some extra” when they came after him, presumably as part of an attempt to get him out of the contest. Roethlisberger made it through the entire game, but, ironically, there were plenty of people wondering whether that was a good thing. A hobbled Roethlisberger threw three interceptions in a 20-3 loss.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com broke down video of the game and found no evidence that the 49ers were doing anything out of bounds in regard to Roethlisberger’s ankle. And now 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, who had 2.5 sacks of Roethlisberger that night with another wiped out by an illegal contact penalty downfield, has weighed in with a denial that there was anything going on but football.

“Our goal was to win the game,” Smith said. “We don’t go out and talk about hurting other players, their ankles or injuries or any of that. We were going out to win the game. The quarterback, he controls the game. So if he got hit, it happens.”

That last part is something to keep in mind. Quarterbacks, injured or not, are always going to be targeted by defenses and, many times, they are going to be hit by those defenses. Roethlisberger might have felt like the 49ers went too far, but he was a target every time he took the field last season and he will be a target every time he takes the field this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/18/aldon-smith-says-49ers-never-targeted-roethlisbergers-ankle/

Slapstick
05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
That last part is something to keep in mind. Quarterbacks, injured or not, are always going to be targeted by defenses and, many times, they are going to be hit by those defenses. Roethlisberger might have felt like the 49ers went too far, but he was a target every time he took the field last season and he will be a target every time he takes the field this season.

Isn't that pretty much what Ben said?

Crash
05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Ben shouldn't do interviews anymore except for post games. Anything he says gets twisted anyway.

Let the lesser known suspension free players do it. They get more leeway.

If I'm Ben I go to practice, I play games, I talk for 10 minutes after a game and go home.

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
If I'm Ben I go to practice, I play games, I talk for 10 minutes after a game and go home.

We agree on something! Hurrah!!! :p

steelblood
05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/18/aldon-smith-says-49ers-never-targeted-roethlisbergers-ankle/

Why do pro football talk writers always feel the need to editorialize to us? Once they start doing that it always makes me wonder whether the story started with the facts and ended in editorializing or did the story start with the writer's opinion and end in only the supporting facts being reported.