PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Second-Round Pick OT Mike Adams

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Steelers Sign Second-Round Pick Mike Adams
Posted 3 hours ago

The Steelers have signed their second-round draft pick from the 2012 NFL Draft, offensive tackle Mike Adams. Financial terms of the four-year deal were not disclosed.

Adams (6-7, 323), who was the 56th overall pick, played collegiately at The Ohio State University. Adams started 25 of 30 games he played in during his four-year career. The Farrell, Pa. native, registered 167 knockdowns and 33 touchdown-resulting blocks in his final two seasons. In 2011, Adams earned second-team All Big Ten Conference honors. As a junior he was named to the All Big Ten Conference first-team as well as The NFL Draft Report’s All-American third-team.

Adams is the Steelers’ fourth draft pick of the 2012 NFL Draft to sign, joining fourth-round selection Alameda Ta’amu, fifth-round pick Chris Rainey and seventh-round pick Toney Clemons.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Second-Round-Pick-Mike-Adams/b1840cf1-7a85-4fcc-9db4-33a2973ca663

Oviedo
05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Hoping and parying Adams doesn't get a case of Stupidio Holmes Disease. If he stays on the straight and narrow we could have a great OL in the next couple of years. I almost didn't know where to find the keys on the keyboard to type "great OL" regarding the Steelers. I think I sprained my index finger.

DrCalculus
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Oviedo, you probably sprained your finger because Kemoatu allowed Suggs a free shot at your wrist while typing. You shouldn't have tried to extend the post. Just go with a short post and we'll punt. Play for field position, it's a defensive battle.

papillon
05-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Oviedo, you probably sprained your finger because Kemoatu allowed Suggs a free shot at your wrist while typing. You shouldn't have tried to extend the post. Just go with a short post and we'll punt. Play for field position, it's a defensive battle.

Well played doctor. :D

Pappy

Sugar
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
It sure is good to see these guys getting signed quickly. Wasn't it Adams who said that he'd delay his signing bonus? I wonder how much scratch he's deferring.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
It sure is good to see these guys getting signed quickly. Wasn't it Adams who said that he'd delay his signing bonus? I wonder how much scratch he's deferring.

The Beaver County Times reports that Adams got a four-year deal that could be worth $3.6 million, a $1 million signing bonus included, but did not mention anything about possible deferral.

Even though it was a noble gesture by Adams, I doubt the union would be too keen on the idea...perhaps a provision that he would have to pay back some of his signing bonus if he tests positive instead?

Seems like draft picks league-wide are signing at an unprecedented rate. Looks like we only have our first and last picks (DeCastro and Beachum) to go. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Spence signed yet...don't recall seeing that one. Anyway, since this is the first draft to take place after the new 10 year CBA has been ratified, perhaps there is some new slotting system inherent to the system that makes it easier to sign picks (less wiggle room for meddling agents, perhaps?)

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
The Beaver County Times reports that Adams got a four-year deal that could be worth $3.6 million, a $1 million signing bonus included, but did not mention anything about possible deferral.

Even though it was a noble gesture by Adams, I doubt the union would be too keen on the idea...perhaps a provision that he would have to pay back some of his signing bonus if he tests positive instead?

Seems like draft picks league-wide are signing at an unprecedented rate. Looks like we only have our first and last picks (DeCastro and Beachum) to go. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Spence signed yet...don't recall seeing that one. Anyway, since this is the first draft to take place after the new 10 year CBA has been ratified, perhaps there is some new slotting system inherent to the system that makes it easier to sign picks (less wiggle room for meddling agents, perhaps?)

My count has DeCastro, Spence and Beachum unsigned. I think this is all about the new CBA. Nothing really to negotiate.

TD386Steel
05-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Hoping and praying Adams doesn't get a case of Stupidio Holmes Disease. If he stays on the straight and narrow we could have a great OL in the next couple of years. I almost didn't know where to find the keys on the keyboard to type "great OL" regarding the Steelers. I think I sprained my index finger.

The difference between the two is Adam's is willing to change & Holmes is not. I got a good feeling about him Oviedo I think he will.

Sugar
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
The difference between the two is Adam's is willing to change & Holmes is not. I got a good feeling about him Oviedo I think he will.

That is a really important difference in many cases. Of course, we'll be looking to see if he really wants to change or if he just said that to get what he wanted. Addicts are known to do that and we don't know if he is an addict or merely a kid that did something dumb.

Steeler or not, I'm rooting for the kid.

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm real happy we got Adams. he was a steal at the end of Round 2. I'm just saying time for him to grow up and prove his words mean something.

I agree 100% with you that Holmes was never going to change. He was punk and he liked being a punk.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Should Steelers' Mike Adams Have Deferred Bonus?

May 12th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/62269601.jpg

On Wednesday, the Steelers signed 2nd round draft pick Mike Adams to a four year deal. Along with his four year deal came a $1.01 million signing bonus. Captain Toupee, aka ESPN’s Jamison Hensley, writes that there was speculation that Adams would forego the bonus in a gesture that he will remain drug free. Here’s Hensley’s quote:

"There had been speculation that Adams would defer a signing bonus to show he could remain drug-free. Adams reportedly tested positive for marijuana at the NFL combine in February."

How would deferring a signing bonus show that you will remain drug free? Was there some sort of talk that he was going to use that bonus to buy drugs, and therefore, by not taking the money showed that he wasn’t going to? Maybe I’m getting caught up on semantics, but how is it that deferring a signing bonus shows good faith not to partake in illegal actions in the near or distant future? Maybe deferring would be a sign to show that he is committed to playing for the Steelers and that it was an act of good faith that he just wants to play football.

But not the former.

The question this morning is, do you think Mike Adams should have deferred his signing bonus? Was he wrong in not doing so? Would it have been wrong to defer? I leave the floor open…

Should Mike Adams have deferred his signing bonus?

No - the team offered it and it was his to take. It's up to him to decide what to do with that money. (68%, 63 Votes)

Yes - it would have been a good gesture and showed he really is committed to the Steelers (32%, 29 Votes)

Total Voters: 92

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/12/should-steelers-mike-adams-deferred-bonus/