PDA

View Full Version : Ben Expects No Huddle and a Pass First Offense

ikestops85
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
After meeting with new OC Todd Haley, Ben Roethlisberger is under the impression that the Steelers have no intention of reverting to a run-heavy, smashmouth offense.

Rich Eisen Podcast (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger)

Sounds like we might see Air Haley coming to the Burg. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't think anyone expected a run-heavy, smashmouth offense. This offense should revolve around Ben and his receivers (Haley has a tendency to play to the strengths of his players, and that is our strength on offense), but I do expect us to be able to run more effectively when we need to. What I'm looking for from Haley is a balanced attack that is not nearly as predictable as it has been over the last several seasons.

Crash
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
You mean like running the ball on 58% of first downs and 65% of first downs in the red zone?

That is the biggest problem they have on offense.

Northern_Blitz
05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
You mean like running the ball on 58% of first downs and 65% of first downs in the red zone?

That is the biggest problem they have on offense.

Have you ever seen breakdowns for these stats when games are close? In other words, do we run so much on first down because we're a pretty good team that's usually up?

I remember when Ben was younger we had a massively lopsided Run/Pass ratio, but it was much more even in the first quarter.

Not trying to be a dick, I don't know the answer.

Oviedo
05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't think anyone expected a run-heavy, smashmouth offense. This offense should revolve around Ben and his receivers (Haley has a tendency to play to the strengths of his players, and that is our strength on offense), but I do expect us to be able to run more effectively when we need to. What I'm looking for from Haley is a balanced attack that is not nearly as predictable as it has been over the last several seasons.

Better OL equals more effective situational running. Redman as #1 back doesn't necessarily support this...IMO.

Ben is our best asset. WR/TE is where we have most talent on the offense. Why would anyone expect we run more????

Shawn
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
In the red zone, creative play calling is certainly important. But, to move the chains, and score 6 instead of 3, our big uglies need to be bigger and uglier than the opposing teams. I believe that. I believe our new look on the OL will greatly improve our RZ efficiency.

feltdizz
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Better OL equals more effective situational running. Redman as #1 back doesn't necessarily support this...IMO.

Ben is our best asset. WR/TE is where we have most talent on the offense. Why would anyone expect we run more????

Redman is going to have an awesome year and I mean really awesome. After the first 4 games Redman will be doing a lot of interviews...

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Redman is going to have an awesome year and I mean really awesome. After the first 4 games Redman will be doing a lot of interviews...

Yea for us if he does, but I won't hold my breath. IMO there is a high probability he is injured by mid-season given his running style.

ikestops85
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Yea for us if he does, but I won't hold my breath. IMO there is a high probability he is injured by mid-season given his running style.

Are you saying that Redman shouldn't run as hard as he does? :?

BradshawsHairdresser
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Yeah, if he would only learn to run more tenatively (like Mendy), he would probably never get hurt...:lol:

feltdizz
05-10-2012, 12:20 PM

He reminds me of Emmit Smith... not fast, not elusive but able to follow blocks and get to the second level.

It's like you are watching a different RB then everyone else.

What part of his running style screams injury? You make it sound like Redman runs straight up and down and never makes a guy miss... he is pretty elusive inside the tackles.

Sugar
05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
By November we will have the greatest show on slop! :D

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Are you saying that Redman shouldn't run as hard as he does? :?

Of course you know I'm don't but whatever. What I mean is that his style is going to expose him to alot more physical abuse week in and week out than he has experienced as a pro. That has effects.

Sugar
05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Of course you know I'm don't but whatever. What I mean is that his style is going to expose him to alot more physical abuse week in and week out than he has experienced as a pro. That has effects.
I'll be curious to see what a possible "pass-first" offense does with a guy like Redman. Especially since we have some good backs in the stable. If YM are all on the field along with Heath and Rainey or Batch it seems that a battering ram like him could take advantage of the defensive set that would almost have to be called.

feltdizz
05-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Anyone else notice the no-huddle is Ben's answer to just about every question regarding the direction of the offense?

Crash
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
As it should be. No huddle and 3 wide base.

Do that and they win the AFC.

Obsess with trying to play 1970's football and they won't win the division.

Snatch98
05-11-2012, 02:29 PM

I'm all for airing it out considering our options. However I also expect a stout ground attack if our line comes together like it should. I can't wait for the damn season to start!

Crash
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
You can run from 3 wide.

What needs to stop is:

1st and 10: 2 TE sets, 2 yard run.

2nd and 8: Out goes the #2 TE, in comes #3 WR, pass.

Just leave the 3 wide out there, stop over thinking and tipping plays.

Slapstick
05-11-2012, 03:09 PM
You can run from 3 wide.

What needs to stop is:

Hopefully, Haley can recognize this where Arians did not...

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2012, 03:13 PM

3 wide should be our base offense, but the no huddle should be used situationally, not as a base offense (that went out with Jack Pardee's Houston Oilers).

Snatch98
05-11-2012, 03:18 PM
You can run from 3 wide.

What needs to stop is:

I couldn't agree more. It's what drove me the most insane with Arians. Really it's one of the few reasons I couldn't stand Arians.

toddjammin
05-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Im pretty sure Hailey will be much more creative than Bruce Arians. Just my opinion though.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-11-2012, 08:43 PM
3 wide should be our base offense, but the no huddle should be used situationally, not as a base offense (that went out with Jack Pardee's Houston Oilers).

Warren Moon and Run'n'Shoot? Luv Ya Blue! (Not- ackk!!).
(Didn't they lose a playoff game to the Bills by the giving up the largest playoff lead ever? "Run'n'Sh*t" I think they used to call it after that!).

Crash
05-11-2012, 09:19 PM
They also blew a 21-3 lead in Denver in the playoffs.

No huddle isn't a hurry up offense though.

fordfixer
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
You mean the guy who ran the run and shoot offense in 1975. Hmmmm that number sure seems to get brought up a lot lately.