PDA

View Full Version : Losing to the Broncos in the playoffs and irrational exuberance

steelnavy
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I have two thoughts in my head and I cannot seem to separate them so I put the two titles together. First, I think that the overtime smack in the mouth that Tebow (of ALL people!) handed the Steelers was a positively motivational experience. Last years team was complete milque toast and with few exceptions, the games were not as fun to watch. I personally was so sick of watching BA's scatter brained play calling and poor personnel decisions from week to week. Why keep Batch as a backup when you won't let him play, even when Ben only has one working leg?!? Why the love for DJ Johnson? Why didn't Redman get more carries? (the guy was a beast!)

If you recall, I was relieved after they lost to the Broncs, which is not considered to be very rational. I mean, who wants their team to lose?!? Last years team, for whatever reason, didn't seem to have the heart or drive of previous seasons. Ward was a shell of his former self (lost that big grin), Pouncey was never 100%, Ben was severely hobbled, etc... They were just painful to watch. I feel pretty certain that if the Steelers beat the Broncs, we would still have BA in the black and gold. And NOTHING would change. So even though I have no idea what Haley will ultimately bring to the table, I am excited that its not the same BS as before and have faith that the Rooneys know what they are doing.

Regarding the irrational exuberance, my hopes for the upcoming season were reinvigorated BEFORE the draft, but now? WOW! DeCastro and Adams?!? Holy Moly! Rainey? Ta'amu? Spence? Are you kidding? With the maturation of Lewis, Cortez and Brown, Ta'amu to supplement Casey, the return of Barron Batch, Redman steamrolling behind the new improved O line, Ben with more protection, Wallace back for another year with something to prove, and to top it off, a new offensive coach who has a history of designing the plays to match the talent... I AM FREAKING EXCITED!

I have never been as excited at this time of the year. Am I irrational and crazy, or is this for real?!? Whooo Hoooo! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Djfan
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
A lot of us could have written this, I bet. I know you spoke to a lot of what I am feeling.

Good stuff, Navy!

Mister Pittsburgh
05-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I think we are set at all positions but 2.....FS and SS. If Troy, or Clark, go down during the year....we are hosed. Troy especially. Our lineup of safeties pretty much ends with Troy and Clark. Mundy is not good at all and Will Allen....ugh. The last safety we actually 'groomed' to be good was Chris Hope. Troy was a mid first round pick we traded up to get so there wasn't much grooming to be done and Clark was a FA. Hell, we had to re-sign Clark because we still didn't have someone groomed to take his place!

grotonsteel
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I think Steelers would have won SB last year if they were injury-free. Too many injuries on both sides. J-Harrison, Woodley, Casey and Kiesel the Diesel. Musical chair at O-line. I read somewhere Steelers had maximum number O-line personnel combination than any other NFL team. Steelers had J Scott as starting LT last season. Nuff said.Pouncey was injured. Starks was injured. Ben was injured. Max Stark saved the regular season though.

I am excited about this draft because Steelers have drafted big uglies. I am also excited to see how Steelers use Sean Spence on Defense and Rainey on Offense. Need for speed.:tt2

Steelers can make another run for SB if they remain or get healthy at the right time.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I do like the fact that we have a chance to get some revenge in Denver in week 1, then have a chance to get some revenge on Tebow and his new mates in week 2...put that playoff debacle to rest right off the bat.

:tt2:tt1

Oviedo
05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I have two thoughts in my head and I cannot seem to separate them so I put the two titles together. First, I think that the overtime smack in the mouth that Tebow (of ALL people!) handed the Steelers was a positively motivational experience. Last years team was complete milque toast and with few exceptions, the games were not as fun to watch. I personally was so sick of watching BA's scatter brained play calling and poor personnel decisions from week to week. Why keep Batch as a backup when you won't let him play, even when Ben only has one working leg?!? Why the love for DJ Johnson? Why didn't Redman get more carries? (the guy was a beast!)

If you recall, I was relieved after they lost to the Broncs, which is not considered to be very rational. I mean, who wants their team to lose?!? Last years team, for whatever reason, didn't seem to have the heart or drive of previous seasons. Ward was a shell of his former self (lost that big grin), Pouncey was never 100%, Ben was severely hobbled, etc... They were just painful to watch. I feel pretty certain that if the Steelers beat the Broncs, we would still have BA in the black and gold. And NOTHING would change. So even though I have no idea what Haley will ultimately bring to the table, I am excited that its not the same BS as before and have faith that the Rooneys know what they are doing.

Regarding the irrational exuberance, my hopes for the upcoming season were reinvigorated BEFORE the draft, but now? WOW! DeCastro and Adams?!? Holy Moly! Rainey? Ta'amu? Spence? Are you kidding? With the maturation of Lewis, Cortez and Brown, Ta'amu to supplement Casey, the return of Barron Batch, Redman steamrolling behind the new improved O line, Ben with more protection, Wallace back for another year with something to prove, and to top it off, a new offensive coach who has a history of designing the plays to match the talent... I AM FREAKING EXCITED!

I have never been as excited at this time of the year. Am I irrational and crazy, or is this for real?!? Whooo Hoooo! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Don't forget our defense going out there game in and game out with the same template just waiting for Woodley or Harrison to get to the QB. When they couldn't (and there were plenty of times they couldn't) there were no adjustments. No additional blitzes, just waiting for the sack or INT "splash play" that came way too infrequently. Even when we were on track to have the fewest number of sacks in years...nothing. Just rush the OLBs and admit it, those of us who watch all the games could have predicted with 80% accuracy when Woodley or Harrison were coming. Don't you think real experts on the other teams could too?

Even when our defense made Tebow look like Aaron Rogers we made no adjustments, did nothing different. Just waited for the big play that never came.

I'm excited about this rookie class. I excited we got a new OC because I know that means something will change on the offense. Not so sure we see any change on the defense though and we need that too.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Take any team.......

Give them 25 or so OL combinations throughout the season.
Knee cap the starting QB
Remove their starting RT just prior to the season.
Take their starting PB C out of the lineup for the playoffs
Take their two best pass rushers and hinder them with injuries and surgeries throughout the year
Take their starting RB out with an ACL right before the playoffs
Take their starting LT out of a playoff game
Make them play with only three DL in a playoff game - all backups with two rooks

And how many of these teams even make the playoffs?

Injuries are not an excuse for losing, but returning players can be a reason for winning.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Take any team.......

Knee cap the starting QB
Take their two best pass rushers and hinder them with injuries and surgeries throughout the year
Make them play with only three DL in a playoff game - all backups with two rooks

Injuries are not an excuse for losing, but returning players can be a reason for winning.

Couldn't have said it better.

We were the walking dead, losing to Denver was like a mercy killing. Those guys were about as heroic as I can imagine a pro team being. THREE ROOKS protecting our franchise QB in a playoff game!!

IMO, if we'd played another game last year, who knows how many people would have gone down. We were held together by Elmer's glue and Scotch tape (not even duck tape).

But this year - HERE WE GO!!!

P.S. There's no way we can "get" a safety that's any good from someone, is there?

Sugar
05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Take any team.......

Knee cap the starting QB

This is BIG $$$ right here. It wasn't like this team sucked and now they will suddenly be good. This team was almost the #1 seed in the AFC and if not for injuries could have been in the big dance. Not excuses, but like coach says, "it is what it is."

Steelerphile
05-09-2012, 05:09 AM
I think we are set at all positions but 2.....FS and SS. If Troy, or Clark, go down during the year....we are hosed. Troy especially. Our lineup of safeties pretty much ends with Troy and Clark. Mundy is not good at all and Will Allen....ugh. The last safety we actually 'groomed' to be good was Chris Hope. Troy was a mid first round pick we traded up to get so there wasn't much grooming to be done and Clark was a FA. Hell, we had to re-sign Clark because we still didn't have someone groomed to take his place!

I thought Mundy had a good preseason in 2011 and was ready to step up and possibly establish himself in the safety spot, alas his season was not overly impressive. I think it too much to say he cannot play at all. I would say he is no-frills, unexciting backup. He can play some but he does not appear to be the answer as an ultimate replacement for Troy or Ryan Clark. Although Will Allen has experience and appears to be well-conditioned and athletic, it is revealing that Mundy is the first safety that comes off the bench, before him. I listened to a Ryan Clark interview where he lamented that there is no heir appearent on the current roster for himself or Troy. He did not allude to Mundy as a possibility. I doubt, though, that Mundy is in full agreement with any of this and views himself as more than capable.

I don't think it is easy to get a top replacement for every position on the roster. For one more season, I think they can get by with Mundy and Allen. I really don't have a handle on Allen's capabilities. Clark and Polamalu are in their early 30s, so without injury, they have a few good seasons left. I would think the Steelers address the safety spot early next draft, or if necessary, sign a free agent.

Discipline of Steel
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
I don't think it is easy to get a top replacement for every position on the roster. For one more season, I think they can get by with Mundy and Allen. I really don't have a handle on Allen's capabilities. Clark and Polamalu are in their early 30s, so without injury, they have a few good seasons left. I would think the Steelers address the safety spot early next draft, or if necessary, sign a free agent.

To be quite honest, most NFL teams dont even have a good starter at every position, let alone a top replacement. I am very happy to be a Steeler fan. Although I must say, my fervor for the NFL has taken a big hit in recent years.

ikestops85
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM

I have never been as excited at this time of the year. Am I irrational and crazy, or is this for real?!? Whooo Hoooo! :tt2 :tt2

I don't think your post could have been anymore on the money. :Bow

I was relieved that we lost to the Broncos. If we had won that game then we would have had to go into NE and gotten beat by the cheatriots again. I don't think I could have taken that. We were decimated by injuries to both the offense and defense so I didn't see anyway we would go back to the Super Bowl.

Fast forward to this years draft and I am excited as hell. I thought the draft was a success after the first round but then the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round hit and I cannot wait for the season to start. On paper it looks like we hit the motherlode and I'm excited to see if it translates to the field.

:tt2:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
We may not have depth at safety, but we seem to have young depth at corner for the first time in a while. Our top 4 corners all have decent size as well (Ike 6'2" 195, Keenan 6'0" 208, Cortez 6'1" 196, Curtis 6'0" 185). Ike's our top CB, Keenan and Cortez will battle for the other starting spot, and Curtis could make for a solid nickel corner in the slot. Perhaps whichever corner doesn't win the starting battle between Keenan & Cortez might potentially get consideration at safety in the event of an injury to Clark or Troy, just to get the best athletes in our secondary on the field at the same time.

Oviedo
05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
We may not have depth at safety, but we seem to have young depth at corner for the first time in a while. Our top 4 corners all have decent size as well (Ike 6'2" 195, Keenan 6'0" 208, Cortez 6'1" 196, Curtis 6'0" 185). Ike's our top CB, Keenan and Cortez will battle for the other starting spot, and Curtis could make for a solid nickel corner in the slot. Perhaps whichever corner doesn't win the starting battle between Keenan & Cortez might potentially get consideration at safety in the event of an injury to Clark or Troy, just to get the best athletes in our secondary on the field at the same time.

You have to wonder in the next couple of years whether Ike could shift to Free Safety much like Rod Woodson did.

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 03:33 PM
You have to wonder in the next couple of years whether Ike could shift to Free Safety much like Rod Woodson did.

A free safety who can't catch the ball is about as useful as a linebacker who can't tackle.

Oviedo
05-09-2012, 03:38 PM
A free safety who can't catch the ball is about as useful as a linebacker who can't tackle.

No one would ever mistake Ryan Clark for a "ballhawk"

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
No one would ever mistake Ryan Clark for a "ballhawk"

Agreed...but with the uptick in passing...and the Goodell's crackdown on this sort of thing...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/01/lee_patriotssteelers10_spts__1228139961_1863.jpght tp://realtalksn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ryan-clark-willis-mcgahee.jpg

...teams really need to look for potential ballhawk free safeties, because bonecrushing FS's are likely to go the route of fullbacks in Goodell's new happy, friendly NFL.

Oviedo
05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Agreed...but with the uptick in passing...and the Goodell's crackdown on this sort of thing...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/01/lee_patriotssteelers10_spts__1228139961_1863.jpght tp://realtalksn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ryan-clark-willis-mcgahee.jpg

...teams really need to look for potential ballhawk free safeties, because bonecrushing FS's are likely to go the route of fullbacks in Goodell's new happy, friendly NFL.

I can concur with that. maybe we keep the double up approach to the draft and get two safeties next year. TJ McDonald (USC) and Baccari Rambo (UGa) would look great in Black and Gold.

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I can concur with that. maybe we keep the double up approach to the draft and get two safeties next year. TJ McDonald (USC) and Baccari Rambo (UGa) would look great in Black and Gold.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps LSU's Eric Reid and Alabama's Robert Lester instead. Or Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson and Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong. There are a lot of variables still up in the air (who comes out, where we are drafting, etc.)

ikestops85
05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Sounds good to me. Perhaps LSU's Eric Reid and Alabama's Robert Lester instead. Or Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson and Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong. There are a lot of variables still up in the air (who comes out, where we are drafting, etc.)

Is Eric Reid the one they call 'Honey Badger'? That kid reminds me of Bob Sanders ... hopefully without the injuries.

Does anybody think they will try to use Spence as a Free Safety? His football instincts seem off the chart so he might make a good ball hawk. I know it will take a couple of years for him to learn the position but it might be worth it.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Is Eric Reid the one they call 'Honey Badger'? That kid reminds me of Bob Sanders ... hopefully without the injuries.

Does anybody think they will try to use Spence as a Free Safety? His football instincts seem off the chart so he might make a good ball hawk. I know it will take a couple of years for him to learn the position but it might be worth it.

Tyrann Mathieu is Honey Badger. He's an animal, but he's only 5'9" 175 lbs.

http://thesportsfanjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/tyrann-mathieu-LSU-honey-badger.jpg

DBR96A
05-11-2012, 06:34 AM

You're not the only one who felt relieved. I was pissed off for a grand total of two minutes after the game ended, and then I decompressed. I began to feel relieved because I knew that long-overdue changes were coming, and lo and behold, the change that I wanted the most happened first. Quite frankly, Bruce Arians should have been fired after the 2009 season. I also applauded the Todd Haley hire because I believed that the offense needed an ******* to shape them up. They were an undisciplined unit, and they'd been that way for years.

As spoiled as this sounds, I told a friend of mine that the 2011 Steelers were the most incompetent 12-4 team that I'd ever seen, and if putting the team in a better long-term position meant sacrificing last season, then so be it. Ironically, a deep playoff run would have hurt the Steelers in the long term because not only would they keep Arians, but they'd try to keep more of the players who were either past their primes or just plain worthless. Then came the draft, and with the exception of Alameda Ta'amu, who was traded up for, the Steelers had plenty of great talent just land in their laps. If these players meet their potential, then this will be the best draft the Steelers have had in 25 years.

I'm excited about the upcoming season too. I just want the Steelers, and especially Ben Roethlisberger, to rub everybody's faces in all the **** they've talked during the last three years. Time for the rest of the NFL to go **** themselves.

ikestops85
05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Tyrann Mathieu is Honey Badger. He's an animal, but he's only 5'9" 175 lbs.

http://thesportsfanjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/tyrann-mathieu-LSU-honey-badger.jpg

Thanks Ruthless ... I knew the guy was small but I love the way he plays. I don't watch a lot of college football but everytime I see LSU this guy seems to do something special.