PDA

View Full Version : What our OL will look like this season and concerns on D

SteelCrazy
05-06-2012, 06:50 PM
According to Tomlin this will be our OL this year and in the future. Well, that is if everyone works out and no one gets hurt. http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-rookie-orientation/516bf9d4-84d5-41ac-8931-d8e27e7cfffa

LT - Mike Adams
LG - Willie Colon
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - David DeCastro
RT - Marcus Gilbert

We could literally go from one of the worst OL's to one of the best in just one season. If Adams and DeCastro live up to the hype its going to be unreal watching our offense this season. I do have one concern now and it's the Defense. We do not have a proven CB on one side. We let go of our best ILB. Although he didnt play much the last 2 season's, Aaron Smith was a rock on the D-Line. He allowed the LB's to do there jobs. I have a weird feeling we could finish out of the top 10 Defense's in the league in quite some time.

I'm in love with what our OL may be and scared to death about what our D is headed for........Someone make me look stupid about the D, please. (dont tell me that I already look stupid)

Flasteel
05-06-2012, 07:09 PM
According to Tomlin this will be our OL this year and in the future. Well, that is if everyone works out and no one gets hurt. http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-rookie-orientation/516bf9d4-84d5-41ac-8931-d8e27e7cfffa

LT - Mike Adams
LG - Willie Colon
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - David DeCastro
RT - Marcus Gilbert

We could literally go from one of the worst OL's to one of the best in just one season. If Adams and DeCastro live up to the hype its going to be unreal watching our offense this season. I do have one concern now and it's the Defense. We do not have a proven CB on one side. We let go of our best ILB. Although he didnt play much the last 2 season's, Aaron Smith was a rock on the D-Line. He allowed the LB's to do there jobs. I have a weird feeling we could finish out of the top 10 Defense's in the league in quite some time.

I'm in love with what our OL may be and scared to death about what our D is headed for........Someone make me look stupid about the D, please. (dont tell me that I already look stupid)

I'm loving the line's potential as well, but Colon at guard and Adams at LT seem like some pretty big unknowns.

As far as the defense...well, here's a few reasons off the top of my head:
1. Last year, we were number one in the league in scoring, yards, and passing yards.
2. This was despite Woodley and Harrison missing large chunks of the season. They return healthy.
3. We have 2 recent number one draft choices that are going to give us a great rotation at DE
4. We just drafted a guy who was widely considered the best 3-4 NT in the draft. Spence doesn't look to shabby either.
5. The word seems to be that the coaches are real high on the progress of Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. They both looked pretty good in limited action last year.
6. Troy Polamalu

Snatch98
05-06-2012, 07:14 PM

LT - Mike Adams
LG - Willie Colon
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - David DeCastro
RT - Marcus Gilbert

I don't know that we're going to miss Farrior. He was/is a great steeler and a fantastic leader but we have some pretty big personalities/leaders on defense that can certainly fill the void. Foote also knows the system and has the ability to lead if he's asked to do so. As far as Aaron Smith is concerned are you serious? He hasn't been the same in a good long while and played in spot start situations last season. He'll go down as one of the most underrated players in the National Football league and he was THE MAN for a long time. He wasn't THE MAN production wise on the field over the last couple seasons therefore his production or lack thereof due to injury and wear and tear will not be missed. It's the reason we drafted Hood and Heyward respectively in the first round in two separate drafts. We also had Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen step up last season and both seem poised to emerge this season. Willie Gay moves on and you now miss the guy? I've always liked Gay and thought he caught a bad wrap around here but with the amount of **** the guy caught here you can't say you're now worried about the corner spot. I'm not at all worried about our defense outside of Hampton. Thankfully we drafted the big boy in the 4th round.

SteelCrazy
05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't know that we're going to miss Farrior. He was/is a great steeler and a fantastic leader but we have some pretty big personalities/leaders on defense that can certainly fill the void. Foote also knows the system and has the ability to lead if he's asked to do so. As far as Aaron Smith is concerned are you serious? He hasn't been the same in a good long while and played in spot start situations last season. He'll go down as one of the most underrated players in the National Football league and he was THE MAN for a long time. He wasn't THE MAN production wise on the field over the last couple seasons therefore his production or lack thereof due to injury and wear and tear will not be missed. It's the reason we drafted Hood and Heyward respectively in the first round in two separate drafts. We also had Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen step up last season and both seem poised to emerge this season. Willie Gay moves on and you now miss the guy? I've always liked Gay and thought he caught a bad wrap around here but with the amount of **** the guy caught here you can't say you're now worried about the corner spot. I'm not at all worried about our defense outside of Hampton. Thankfully we drafted the big boy in the 4th round.

I was worried about the position when Gay was here, but he did shine at times. Dick LeBeau is great and I hope he can get the great out of these new guys. As far as Smith goes, no one has filled his shoes when he went down. No one stood out. Hood made some plays and so did Heyward, but neither took over the position. Maybe with some reps it changes though.

SteelCrazy
05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm loving the line's potential as well, but Colon at guard and Adams at LT seem like some pretty big unknowns.

1. Last year, we were number one in the league in scoring, yards, and passing yards.
2. This was despite Woodley and Harrison missing large chunks of the season. They return healthy.
3. We have 2 recent number one draft choices that are going to give us a great rotation at DE
4. We just drafted a guy who was widely considered the best 3-4 NT in the draft. Spence doesn't look to shabby either.
5. The word seems to be that the coaches are real high on the progress of Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. They both looked pretty good in limited action last year.
6. Troy Polamalu

Where Adams, Colon and Gilbert play is still to be decided. I just threw their names in where I think they'll end up.

Snatch98
05-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I was worried about the position when Gay was here, but he did shine at times. Dick LeBeau is great and I hope he can get the great out of these new guys. As far as Smith goes, no one has filled his shoes when he went down. No one stood out. Hood made some plays and so did Heyward, but neither took over the position. Maybe with some reps it changes though.

Aaron Smith hasn't stood out over the last 2 seasons either. The discussions here have been "Aaron has lost a step" and Heyward hasn't had a strong go yet because he was still getting his feet wet as a rookie. I love Aaron Smith as much as anyone but he hasn't been Aaron Smith for a good while now. Certainly not to the point of worrying about it.

pfelix73
05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Well, I think you guys are reading into this more than whats there on that page. Because he actually doesn't list that lineup you have there in this thread. That doesn't mean that Gilbert goes to RT. That just means that Adams starts out at 2nd string behind Gilbert at LT. BARRING INJURIES, I would tend to think that Adams will not be playing much this year. Unless we have a freaking repeat of injuries from last year. Remember, Gilbert wasn't supposed to play much, if at all, last year....

We've got Gilbert (who's also played LT at Florida) at LT, Legs/ Foster, Pouncey, Rook/Foster, and Colon as the starting OL going into camp. Adams would be 2nd string backing up both Gilbert and Colon at this point. Along with Jonathan Scott.

Lets let the OL coach decide who goes where. Surely, the OC and HC would be listening to the OL coach.

Just wondering-
LT - Mike Adams
LG - Willie Colon
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - David DeCastro
RT - Marcus Gilbert

I don't see this listed on that link. Is this something you made up? Or is it on another page?

Just now saw your other post-

Whew- OK, that starting OL is something you did.... Sorry, I disagree with all that change. Again, according to the Steelers- Colon is a OT.

Shoe
05-06-2012, 10:24 PM

6. Troy Polamalu

I consider Colon a large question mark. The guy has missed two seasons, with two different injuries. Even if you came back at 100% (which we know is impossible), he wasn't rock-solid when completely healthy IMO. Adams is also a large question mark, for obvious reasons.

Defensively, the player who (sad as it is for me to say) potentially might not live up to expectations is Harrison. His effort is awesome as always; but as a 34-year old guy, who is undersized, and back surgery in his past--it's extremely likely that we've seen the best of him. Luckily we have prospects waiting in the wings.

Discipline of Steel
05-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Defensively, the player who (sad as it is for me to say) potentially might not live up to expectations is Harrison. His effort is awesome as always; but as a 34-year old guy, who is undersized, and back surgery in his past--it's extremely likely that we've seen the best of him. Luckily we have prospects waiting in the wings.

I agree with you about Colon but think Troy is just as likely to under produce as Harrison. Who can avoid the injury bug??

pfelix73
05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Colon is a giant question mark, but with 2 years off, heck, he should at least be rested and ready to compete.

Oviedo
05-07-2012, 07:37 AM

LeBeau is gpoing to have to trust some young players more than ever versus sitting in his comfort zone and relying on experienced veterans. If that means he has to simplify the defense then he needs to get on with it. We have some good young talent and we need to see what they can do on the field. He'll have more of a challenge this year than in the past 5 because he will have to make more adjustments versus just being on cruise control because of the experience on the field.

Oviedo
05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
I consider Colon a large question mark. The guy has missed two seasons, with two different injuries. Even if you came back at 100% (which we know is impossible), he wasn't rock-solid when completely healthy IMO. Adams is also a large question mark, for obvious reasons.

I totally agree about Harrison. I think last year we saw the beginning of the end for Harrison which means Woodley has to do more consistently. I hope Harrison finds the fountain of youth but I'm really concerned that his bullrush style won't work anymore and he has no Plan B.

I do hope that LeBeau remembers to call blitzes from the inside LBs a lot more than he has the past two seasons when he seems to have forgotten what that is. We were hardly "Blitzburgh" last season. That will help Woodley and Harrison immensely.

Shawn
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I suspect that our D will be superb. The youth movement isn't a bad thing.

Oviedo
05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I suspect that our D will be superb. The youth movement isn't a bad thing.

Not a bad thing and probably overdue.

Shawn
05-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Long overdue if you ask me.

steelz09
05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I know it's risky but if 2 rookies are going to start, I'd like to see:

LT: Adams / Gilbert
LG: DeCastro
G: Pouncey
RG: Colon
RT: Adams / Gilbert

If Adams looks like the "best bet" at LT, I would still like to see DeCastro at LG. What I'm trying to say is it's risky, but I still wouldn't hesitate to have to rookies at both LT (Adams) and LG (DeCastro). I would then keep Gilbert at RT. Colon has played RT for most of his career.... keeping him on the right side makes sense.

Oviedo
05-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Long overdue if you ask me.

Careful now. Some will perceive your heresy as criticism of the defense.

SuperSize
05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
DeCastro will play LG. I'd bet on it.

Pete

pfelix73
05-07-2012, 07:57 PM
How much? I'll bet ya. No reason to move.

SteelCrazy
05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
My OL configuration is something I see from what I know up til now. Of course Adams and DeCastro may end up on the other sides of their respected positions (although I feel DeCastro is less likely to move), but for now from what I have gathered I see it playing out like I listed.

LT - Adams
LG - Colon
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Gilbert

Unless Adams is light years behind or Gilbert regresses, Colon will play at Guard this season.

steelz09
05-07-2012, 11:38 PM
How much? I'll bet ya. No reason to move.

why would you move Colon to the left side when he played RT for all these years. I'm voting for Colon at RG and Gilbert at RT (or LT for that matter)

pfelix73
05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Sorry, don't understand your reply. You said (or maybe it was someone else) to move him out of his RT spot, not I. Anyway, I just wish people would understand what the Steelers FO and coaches have been saying for many MANY years now. They say that Colon is a OT not a OG. So, therefore, he's over there at RT. He sure as heck can't play LT. Not at LG either, he'd be too slow for that position and is probably not quick enough to be an NFL OG at all. Therefore, Adams would be backing up Willie and Gilbert at both OT along with Scott. I would be very surprised if Adams could beat out Colon at this point, but thats what camp is for...

Yea, the bet was for DeCastro playing LG this year.... No reason to move him to LG.

pfelix73
05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I would seriously doubt a rookie is gonna start at LT for the Pittsburgh Steelers...

grotonsteel
05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I would seriously doubt a rookie is gonna start at LT for the Pittsburgh Steelers...

If J Scott can be Steelers starting LT in 2011 anything is possible.

Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Willie Colon will be my starting O-line. Mike Adams will be my backup swing tackle.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Yeah, but it should be a heck of a camp battle between Gilbert and Adams, though. I think the team has more faith in Colon at RT than the fans do, so he should likely stay put at RT. They've been talking about moving Gilbert over to the left side since before the draft, so I suspect that is still what they plan to do now (they aren't going to hand Adams anything; he will have to earn it). DeCastro should play his usual position at RG (allowing us to pull more than one way under Haley...unlike the Arians offense). Pouncey will obviously play at center. Foster and Legursky will battle for LG.

However, if Adams does impress at LT during the preseason, that could allow the team to move Gilbert inside to LG (during the 2008 championship season for Florida, the Gators had Marcus Gilbert at LG and Maurkice Pouncey at C for 2 games against Hawaii and Miami; Gilbert's first start at Florida was at RG in 2007 in place of the injured Maurkice Pouncey. In 2009, Gilbert played RT, and then played both tackle positions in 2010).

I'd like me some Adams-Gilbert-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon. Legursky and Foster could be gameday backups, and if anything happened to either tackle, Gilbert could be moved outside (unless, of course, we are able to bring Max Starks back into the fold eventually).

Remember, Gilbert and Adams are both second round tackles...Gilbert had a 2nd round grade, but Adams had a 1st round grade and will be extremely motivated to impress after the Steelers picked him even after all of the outside issues...if a somewhat overweight and sloppy Gilbert can start at tackle for the Steelers as a rookie, a supremely motivated behemoth with left tackle feet should be able to as well...we'll see.

pfelix73
05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Yea, but that 1 year of experience in the NFL has Gilbert already a leg or 2 up on Adams. The rooks will have to prove themselves...Not saying that they can't or won't, but experience Gilbert already has.

We'll soon see.

Oviedo
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but it should be a heck of a camp battle between Gilbert and Adams, though. I think the team has more faith in Colon at RT than the fans do, so he should likely stay put at RT. They've been talking about moving Gilbert over to the left side since before the draft, so I suspect that is still what they plan to do now (they aren't going to hand Adams anything; he will have to earn it). DeCastro should play his usual position at RG (allowing us to pull more than one way under Haley...unlike the Arians offense). Pouncey will obviously play at center. Foster and Legursky will battle for LG.

However, if Adams does impress at LT during the preseason, that could allow the team to move Gilbert inside to LG (during the 2008 championship season for Florida, the Gators had Marcus Gilbert at LG and Maurkice Pouncey at C for 2 games against Hawaii and Miami; Gilbert's first start at Florida was at RG in 2007 in place of the injured Maurkice Pouncey. In 2009, Gilbert played RT, and then played both tackle positions in 2010).

I'd like me some Adams-Gilbert-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon. Legursky and Foster could be gameday backups, and if anything happened to either tackle, Gilbert could be moved outside (unless, of course, we are able to bring Max Starks back into the fold eventually).

Remember, Gilbert and Adams are both second round tackles...Gilbert had a 2nd round grade, but Adams had a 1st round grade and will be extremely motivated to impress after the Steelers picked him even after all of the outside issues...if a somewhat overweight and sloppy Gilbert can start at tackle for the Steelers as a rookie, a supremely motivated behemoth with left tackle feet should be able to as well...we'll see.

I see no way they move Gilbert inside to Guard. He did too well at OT as a rookie. Stranger things have happened but I would be totally shocked.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Yea, but that 1 year of experience in the NFL has Gilbert already a leg or 2 up on Adams. The rooks will have to prove themselves...Not saying that they can't or won't, but experience Gilbert already has.

We'll soon see.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Gilbert would probably win the battle at LT (I too doubt that the team would be willing to go with 2 rookie OL starters from day 1) and we'd go:

LT Gilbert
LG Foster/Legursky
C Pouncey
RG DeCastro
RT Colon

With Adams and the loser of the Foster/Legursky battle as the gameday backups.

But if the Adams/Gilbert battle at LT is close, I'd rather start Adams at LT since that would give us the opportunity to start the best 5 players on the OL with Gilbert at LG (since Adams doesn't project to guard, if Gilbert is left tackle, then we'd have to start a less talented players like Foster or Legursky instead).

Even if it is not from day one, I think the team would like to eventually end up like this:

LT Adams
LG Gilbert
C Pouncey
RG DeCastro
RT Colon

Perhaps the switch could be made after our first 3 games during the bye week, or perhaps after our first 5 games in the 10 days we'll have between the 10/11/12 Thursday nighter in Tennessee and the 10/21/11 Sunday nighter in Cincinnati.

I'd personally rather move Colon inside to guard and left Gilbert at RT, but I think the team thinks more of Colon at RT than most of us. I'd like to see:

LT Adams
LG Colon
C Pouncey
RG DeCastro
RT Gilbert

steelz09
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Sorry, don't understand your reply. You said (or maybe it was someone else) to move him out of his RT spot, not I. Anyway, I just wish people would understand what the Steelers FO and coaches have been saying for many MANY years now. They say that Colon is a OT not a OG. So, therefore, he's over there at RT. He sure as heck can't play LT. Not at LG either, he'd be too slow for that position and is probably not quick enough to be an NFL OG at all. Therefore, Adams would be backing up Willie and Gilbert at both OT along with Scott. I would be very surprised if Adams could beat out Colon at this point, but thats what camp is for...

Yea, the bet was for DeCastro playing LG this year.... No reason to move him to LG.

We'll just agree to disagree. I honestly don't care what the coaches or FO think about Colon. They have been right before (like the draft, hopefully) and they have been wrong before. I think they're wrong about Colon. He is in the bottom half of the league at RT. A rookie (Gilbert) replaced him in his first year as a starter. Gilbert played just as good, if not better than Colon at any stage of his career. Colon was overpaid just like Kemo. For years, I've watched Colon reach to try to get his hands on DE/LBs and he struggles w/ his shorter arms. Speed rushers abuse him. Long-armed/lengthy rushers abuse him. He is more of a bruiser type that is much better at run blocking. I think w/ his build, mean streak, aggressive, run blocking style is perfect for the guard position. Heck, I think he could be in the top 1/3 in the league at guard. That might be a generous prediction but it's possible. His negatives attributes at tackle will almost be a non-factor at guard. Lastly, if he's athletic enough to play RT then he should be able to play RG. I would keep him on the same side he's familiar with.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
We'll just agree to disagree. I honestly don't care what the coaches or FO think about Colon. They have been right before (like the draft, hopefully) and they have been wrong before. I think they're wrong about Colon. He is in the bottom half of the league at RT. A rookie (Gilbert) replaced him in his first year as a starter. Gilbert played just as good, if not better than Colon at any stage of his career. Colon was overpaid just like Kemo. For years, I've watched Colon reach to try to get his hands on DE/LBs and he struggles w/ his shorter arms. Speed rushers abuse him. Long-armed/lengthy rushers abuse him. He is more of a bruiser type that is much better at run blocking. I think w/ his build, mean streak, aggressive, run blocking style is perfect for the guard position. Heck, I think he could be in the top 1/3 in the league at guard. That might be a generous prediction but it's possible. His negatives attributes at tackle will almost be a non-factor at guard. Lastly, if he's athletic enough to play RT then he should be able to play RG. I would keep him on the same side he's familiar with.

I'd like to see what Colon can do at guard as well (his body habitus, skill set, general demeanor seems to be more indicative of a prototypical NFL guard than a prototypical NFL tackle). However, if Colon moves inside to guard but stays on the right side as you suggest, then you'd have this:

LT Adams
LG DeCastro
C Pouncey
RG Colon
RT Gilbert

Not only would we be starting 2 rookies on the OL, but those 2 rookies would be right next to each other, and they'd be charged with protecting Ben's blind side. I doubt the powers that be would be willing to go forward with that plan.

steelz09
05-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I'd like to see what Colon can do at guard as well (his body habitus, skill set, general demeanor seems to be more indicative of a prototypical NFL guard than a prototypical NFL tackle). However, if Colon moves inside to guard but stays on the right side as you suggest, then you'd have this:

LT Adams
LG DeCastro
C Pouncey
RG Colon
RT Gilbert

Not only would we be starting 2 rookies on the OL, but those 2 rookies would be right next to each other, and they'd be charged with protecting Ben's blind side. I doubt the powers that be would be willing to go forward with that plan.

Yup... it's tad risky. But I don't see DeCastro making very many cerebral errors even in his first year. The dude did go to Stanford :)

I see your point though and I thought the same thing. Depending on how the two look in training camp and preseason, I wouldn't mind switching Adams (RT) and Gilbert (LT) for this year.

steelz09
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Yup... it's tad risky. But I don't see DeCastro making very many cerebral errors even in his first year. The dude did go to Stanford :)

I see your point though and I thought the same thing. Depending on how the two look in training camp and preseason, I wouldn't mind switching Adams (RT) and Gilbert (LT) for this year.

This pic reminds me of Colon at RT. I think Ruthless had a pic similar to this one where a few OL including Colon are just standing there as our QB is getting killed.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/RxzACzB5qDI/AAAAAAAAAOA/Z7nCaqX8eYI/s400/bensacked.jpg

pfelix73
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I just hope you guys aren't too disappointed when you see Ben go down on the turf this year. I know this has been beaten to death over the years, but it really comes down to the qb play. He's a mobile qb that likes to make things happen. Not even the best of the best of the best LT's or other Olmen know EXACTLY what he is up to on any given play. This has happened to me personally when I played. It happens to anyone who has played along the OL. You think you're taking your man in the right direction and then all of a sudden your qb moves another way and the play breaks down and he's there getting sacked to no fault of the OL. (or me-lol) It's just the way it goes...

Just want ppl thinking that Adams is gonna come in and be some sort of savior.. cause that's not realistic...

Oviedo
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I just hope you guys aren't too disappointed when you see Ben go down on the turf this year. I know this has been beaten to death over the years, but it really comes down to the qb play. He's a mobile qb that likes to make things happen. Not even the best of the best of the best LT's or other Olmen know EXACTLY what he is up to on any given play. This has happened to me personally when I played. It happens to anyone who has played along the OL. You think you're taking your man in the right direction and then all of a sudden your qb moves another way and the play breaks down and he's there getting sacked to no fault of the OL. (or me-lol) It's just the way it goes...

Just want ppl thinking that Adams is gonna come in and be some sort of savior.. cause that's not realistic...

Hopefully Haley can help a now 30 year old, not 24, adjust to the realities of what his body can take. Some play calling utilizing the TEs more will help.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
This pic reminds me of Colon at RT. I think Ruthless had a pic similar to this one where a few OL including Colon are just standing there as our QB is getting killed.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_46r1n1AcXio/RxzACzB5qDI/AAAAAAAAAOA/Z7nCaqX8eYI/s400/bensacked.jpg

The best version of that pic had the "I'm thinkin' Arby's!" logos over Colon's and Simmons' heads. Not sure who it was that photoshopped that one (I can't take credit), but it was a classic.

http://www.admavericks.com/wp-content/uploads/Im_thinking_arbys.jpg

pfelix73
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Exactly Ruthless. Right on the $. Haley will help in just his formations and play calling alone. Utilization of a FB can help too. And better TE blocking. Nice addition with Pope. These 2 or 3, along with a wiser/ older Ben and a better OL (not only better, but now maybe we can get guys playing in their same spots on a regular basis) will help tremendously.

Oviedo
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Exactly Ruthless. Right on the $. Haley will help in just his formations and play calling alone. Utilization of a FB can help too. And better TE blocking. Nice addition with Pope. These 2 or 3, along with a wiser/ older Ben and a better OL (not only better, but now maybe we can get guys playing in their same spots on a regular basis) will help tremendously.

Several have mentioned a FB, but look at the roster. Is there a FB on it? I don't see one so I doubt one appears between now and training camp. I think we will see the same approach using a TE as an H-back. I have no issues with that as long as it isn't a worthless bum like Dennis Johnson.

Snatch98
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The Falcons just released Ovi Mughelli. I doubt we bring him in but he's out there and he's a good fullback.

Snatch98
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Hopefully Haley can help a now 30 year old, not 24, adjust to the realities of what his body can take. Some play calling utilizing the TEs more will help.

Ben may not feel like he needs to be on the move as much if his line can give him a pocket. DeCastro starts immediately and I really do think Adams has a shot at playing AT LEAST right tackle but it's possible he could line up on the left. Colon as I've mentioned previously is the wild card. Ben could very well have the best line he's ever had if everything gels. In addition to a slew of top flight offensive weapons. We thought last year was going to be the year the offense took a jump. It's looking like we may have been a little early in that assessment.

Crash
05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Fullbacks and more tight ends. Good grief.

MeetJoeGreene
05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
The best version of that pic had the "I'm thinkin' Arby's!" logos over Colon's and Simmons' heads. Not sure who it was that photoshopped that one (I can't take credit), but it was a classic.

It was that funny MJG Dude!
I will have to see if I can find it when I get home... not sure where that one went.

feltdizz
05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
The Arby's logo has a familiar shape

phillyesq
05-08-2012, 09:00 PM

The Arby's version of that photo was a classic.

steelz09
05-08-2012, 09:17 PM
It was that funny MJG Dude!
I will have to see if I can find it when I get home... not sure where that one went.

MJG - I'm not sure which contest this was but I have a lot of the photoshoppers contests saved here:
http://www.planetsteelers.com/steelers-photos/

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
MJG - I'm not sure which contest this was but I have a lot of the photoshoppers contests saved here:
http://www.planetsteelers.com/steelers-photos/

I don't think the Arby's pic was for any contest in particular. I think it was just a spontaneous photoshop opportunity that this particular photo of Colon & Simmons provided...nice work, MJG!

SteelCrazy
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Looks like the OP (please refer to me as the OP from this day forward) knows what he is talking about. Dont question me ever again! OP out.....lol

I really think its a smart move to put Colon at LG. We are going to be light years ahead on offense compared to years past. Arians gone, Haley comes in. OL gets stronger....getting excited!

Chadman
05-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Do you mean this pic?

Now we just need an auto-shop guru to play along..

pfelix73
05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
I will believe it when I see it during/ after camp. Not in May...