PDA

View Full Version : A few 2013 Mock Drafts are already out...Here is who they have the Steelers taking:

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Walterfootball.com TWO ROUND 2013 Mock by Walter Cherepinsky (has Steelers picking 22nd):

Round 1: Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o

The Steelers wanted Dont'a Hightower, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24. Pittsburgh now has few needs, but one of them is still at inside linebacker.

Round 2: Michigan State DE William Gholston

The Steelers will need depth on the defensive line behind Cameron Heyward and Ziggy Hood once Brett Keisel decides to walk away from the game.

*Note: Wisconsin RB Montee Ball went to the Broncos one pick later in round 2.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Walterfootball.com 2013 Mock by Charlie Campbell (has Steelers picking 21st):

Texas A&M OLB Sean Porter

Pittsburgh could target a long-term starter at outside linebacker. Soon the Steelers will have to revamp their linebacking corps with youth.

Porter was one of the top pass rushers in college football in 2011. He had 9.5 sacks with 79 tackles, 17 tackles for a loss and one forced fumble. Porter has similar size and speed to Von Miller, although Porter may not be quite as explosive. The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder should add some bulk before coming out since he projects best as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

*Note: LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo, South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore, Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o, and LSU CB Honey Badger Matthieu were still on the board.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie.php

ESPN.com's 2013 Mock by Todd McShay (has Steelers picking 30th; used Matt Williamson's current Power Rankings as the basis for his 2013 draft order):

Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

*Note: Stanford LB Shayne Skov went to the Giants one pick later.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7879285/nfl-mock-draft-looking-ahead-2013

steelz09
05-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Walterfootball.com TWO ROUND 2013 Mock by Walter Cherepinsky (has Steelers picking 22nd):

Round 1: Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o

Round 2: Michigan State DE William Gholston

*Note: Wisconsin RB Montee Ball went to the Broncos one pick later in round 2.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Walterfootball.com 2013 Mock by Charlie Campbell (has Steelers picking 21st):

Texas A&M OLB Sean Porter

*Note: LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo, South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore, Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o, and LSU CB Honey Badger Matthieu were still on the board.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie.php

ESPN.com's 2013 Mock by Todd McShay (has Steelers picking 30th; used Matt Williamson's current Power Rankings as the basis for his 2013 draft order):

Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

*Note: Stanford LB Shayne Skov went to the Giants one pick later.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7879285/nfl-mock-draft-looking-ahead-2013

I think FS should be #1 priority.

WR (pending the Wallace situation), OLB and RB could be other targets.

Oviedo
05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
We need both a FS and a SS of the future sooner rather than later.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I think FS should be #1 priority.

WR (pending the Wallace situation), OLB and RB could be other targets.

Safeties in Walter's Draft:

21. Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson (to SF)
35. Florida's Matt Elam (to MIA)
44. USC's T.J. McDonald (to DAL)
61. Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong (to GB)
63. Alabama's Jarrick Williams (to NYG)

Safeties in Charlie's Draft:

18. Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson (to DAL)
31. USC's T.J. McDonald (to BAL)

Safeties in Todd's Draft:

20. USC's T.J. McDonald (to HOU)
22. LSU's Eric Reid (to DAL)

phillyesq
05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
What's up with Walter having the Steelers pick at 22 (and before the Ravens)???

I'm still going to enjoy DeCastro and company for a while, but thinking ahead to the next draft, I can see any of the following making sense as early picks in the next draft:

FS/SS - a strong cover guy at either position, to play in sub-packages and eventually succeed Clark or Troy;
OLB - heir apparent for Harrison, depending on the development of Worilds;
CB - can never have too many;
ILB - depends on the development of Spence
OG - Colon and his salary sent packing, with Adams stepping in at LT, Gilbert back to RT;
WR - depending on Wallace;
TE - a receiver to complement Heath and give Ben another weapon.

In any event, with the lines more or less settled (provided that everybody this year pans out), the Steelers should have plenty of options and a good degree of flexibility.

Flasteel
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Seriously? There are so many variables involved with who we will target - let alone select - in next year's draft, that this is a completely retarded exercise in futility. I get that that maybe you are just having a little fun, but C'mon Man! :D

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
How many picks did it cost the Steelers to move up from 32 in these mocks?

Dee Dub
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Safeties in Walter's Draft:

21. Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson (to SF)
35. Florida's Matt Elam (to MIA)
44. USC's T.J. McDonald (to DAL)
61. Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong (to GB)
63. Alabama's Jarrick Williams (to NYG)

Safeties in Charlie's Draft:

18. Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson (to DAL)
31. USC's T.J. McDonald (to BAL)

Safeties in Todd's Draft:

20. USC's T.J. McDonald (to HOU)
22. LSU's Eric Reid (to DAL)

Good ol' Walter left out the best safety in next years draft, FS, LSU Eric Reid. Eric Reid is in a class by himself. McDonald is better suited at SS same with Armstrong. They will struggle with coverage in the NFL. I love Tony Jefferson. Small but a big time play maker.

I would love to get one of the elite corners, David Amerson, and my favorite, Jonathan Banks of Miss. State. Interesting how they are leaving off Bacarri Rambo. He is a straight ball hawk but recently came up dirty for smokin marijuana.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Good ol' Walter left out the best safety in next years draft, FS, LSU Eric Reid. Eric Reid is in a class by himself.

Perhaps they aren't projecting who is going to come out as juniors yet, since Reid just finished his sophomore season.

Wait...they projected Lattimore in these mocks, and he's in the same boat as Reid (both entering their junior season in 2012). I dunno.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Seriously? There are so many variables involved with who we will target - let alone select - in next year's draft, that this is a completely retarded exercise in futility. I get that that maybe you are just having a little fun, but C'mon Man! :D

After witnessing how many trades went down in the first round this year, even doing a mock a day before the draft is essentially an exercise in futility anymore (never mind a year before). But we do it anyway! (if only to amuse ourselves, I suppose).

winwithd
05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Maybe the double-dipping continues. Timmons and Woodley, Sanders and Brown, Brown and Allen, DeCastro and Adams, next year maybe we get two great safeties. I hear TJ McDonald is pretty good so lets say we take him in the first and then the other safety in the second. I heard safety is one of the strengths of next year's draft.

Although I certainly wouldn't mind getting Manti Te'o based on the little I've seen of him.

Flasteel
05-03-2012, 09:01 PM
After witnessing how many trades went down in the first round this year, even doing a mock a day before the draft is essentially an exercise in futility anymore (never mind a year before). But we do it anyway! (if only to amuse ourselves, I suppose).

True, but at least we have a full season of tape, a clear understanding of our needs, senior bowl week, the combine numbers, and a general idea of where we are drafting. Even with all of that, it's still a crapshoot...unless of course, you are Chadman.

The funny part is how many different sites have 2013 mock drafts. I guess there are a lot of people who like to engage in completely retarded exercises in futility.

papillon
05-03-2012, 09:57 PM
How many picks did it cost the Steelers to move up from 32 in these mocks?

:Bow:Bow:Bow:Bow

Pappy

Shoe
05-04-2012, 01:44 AM

Exactly.

e.g.
If Ziggy and Cam step up and ball, our LBs will look awesome and it won't even be considered a need.

If Cortez Allen/Curtis Brown/Crezdon Butler (any or all) become players, Ryan Clark will look like a star (and FS will be the least of concerns).

steelblood
05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Exactly.

e.g.
If Ziggy and Cam step up and ball, our LBs will look awesome and it won't even be considered a need.

If Cortez Allen/Curtis Brown/Crezdon Butler (any or all) become players, Ryan Clark will look like a star (and FS will be the least of concerns).

I'll be very surprised if Crezdon Butler has a big year for us next season.

Clark is at the end of his career. His speed is shot and he has never been much of a ballhawk. In today's NFL is really helps to have a real ballhawk back there. There is no problem talking about the FS position. It is very deep in next year's draft, and there should be multiple players available in the back half of round one. Watching college football with an eye toward the Steelers is actually quite fun. I enjoy these discussions about prospects to watch in the fall and draft next spring.

steelblood
05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Good ol' Walter left out the best safety in next years draft, FS, LSU Eric Reid. Eric Reid is in a class by himself. McDonald is better suited at SS same with Armstrong. They will struggle with coverage in the NFL. I love Tony Jefferson. Small but a big time play maker.

I would love to get one of the elite corners, David Amerson, and my favorite, Jonathan Banks of Miss. State. Interesting how they are leaving off Bacarri Rambo. He is a straight ball hawk but recently came up dirty for smokin marijuana.

I also like Dexter McCoil of Tulsa. Mid-round SS with great ball skills. He'd be a great backup/eventual replacement for Troy. He is huge. Robert Lester had a down year. But, he still looks like a day two pick to me.

steelblood
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM

You think that is bad? See my sig for a 2033 mock draft!

phillyesq
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Maybe the double-dipping continues. Timmons and Woodley, Sanders and Brown, Brown and Allen, DeCastro and Adams, next year maybe we get two great safeties. I hear TJ McDonald is pretty good so lets say we take him in the first and then the other safety in the second. I heard safety is one of the strengths of next year's draft.

Although I certainly wouldn't mind getting Manti Te'o based on the little I've seen of him.

I could see a double dip at safety next year or a safety/cb combo. I kind of like the double dip, instantly making an area on your team a strength for the future.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I'll be very surprised if Crezdon Butler has a big year for us next season.

You never know...perhaps Whis is blown away by the play of William Gay and decides cut Crez Butler...then we pick him up again like Bryant McFadden (it's the Pittsburgh-to-Arizona-then-back-to-Pittsburgh cornerback pipeline, doncha know). ;)

aggiebones
05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I do think they need to start drafting some Safeties in the 2-4th round and hope to get a good one cheap that can learn and progress into a starting role. Then if that fails, find one on the open market or 1st round pick. I don't think they draft next year a S with a first rounder. Troy and Clark are important members of this team and they aren't ready to go. Get a cheap one that can eat more plays in a mid round. And someone to replace Mundy obviously.

ILB is a need for a top pick. And I didn't pound the board for that this year. But next year it is important. OLB is a need soon too with Harrison getting up there. So targeting LBs is priority one next year. We have 4 spots and few backups of high level that can eventually start long term.

Shawn
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
With the SS position and our system I think we need to look in the first couple rounds. But, finding a solid centerfielder can be done later. We need to take some shots in the later rounds.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Two more 2013 mocks from national publications...both have us picking 31st overall and addressing the d-line:

SI.com's Andrew Perloff:

31. Pittsburgh Steelers -- John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
Scouts can't help but notice the massive Jenkins when they check out Jarvis Jones. The Steelers did draft Washington nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu in the fourth round of this year's draft, but there's no guarantee they've found Casey Hampton's successor yet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andrew_perloff/05/01/2013.nfl.mock.draft/index.html?sct=nfl_bf3_a6

FOXSports.com's Peter Schrager:

31. Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/67067): Jeffrey Whitaker, DT/DE, Auburn: The Steelers and Packers face off in a rematch of the Super Bowl XLV shootout in Dallas, with the outcome being the same. The Steelers look to their defensive line in the draft, going with Whitaker, a 6-foot-3, 315-pound run stuffer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Matt-Barkley-2013-mock-draft-043012

Oviedo
05-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Two more 2013 mocks from national publications...both have us picking 31st overall and addressing the d-line:

SI.com's Andrew Perloff:

Scouts can't help but notice the massive Jenkins when they check out Jarvis Jones. The Steelers did draft Washington nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu in the fourth round of this year's draft, but there's no guarantee they've found Casey Hampton's successor yet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andrew_perloff/05/01/2013.nfl.mock.draft/index.html?sct=nfl_bf3_a6

FOXSports.com's Peter Schrager:

31. Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.planetsteelers.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/67067): Jeffrey Whitaker, DT/DE, Auburn: The Steelers and Packers face off in a rematch of the Super Bowl XLV shootout in Dallas, with the outcome being the same. The Steelers look to their defensive line in the draft, going with Whitaker, a 6-foot-3, 315-pound run stuffer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Matt-Barkley-2013-mock-draft-043012

You need more defensive linemen prior to going to the 4-3;)

Especially when you have protypical 4-3 LBs like Timmons and Spence.

phillyesq
05-04-2012, 04:26 PM
You need more defensive linemen prior to going to the 4-3;)

Especially when you have protypical 4-3 LBs like Timmons and Spence.

SMH.

If nothing else, I have to give you props for your persistence. :p

Oviedo
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
SMH.

If nothing else, I have to give you props for your persistence. :p

Key to long term success in messaging is to "consistently stay on message"

That is what sells

Dee Dub
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM

SI.com's Andrew Perloff:

Andrew Perloff is McLovin from the Dan Patrick show and he doesnt know jack about football players.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Andrew Perloff is McLovin from the Dan Patrick show and he doesnt know jack about football players.

http://t-shirtguru.com/product-images/i-am-mclovin-superbad-tee-t-shirt-deezteez.jpg

Jooser
05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcaRA3V3NU

This kid is gonna blow through the Big 12 this year and break more ankles than a Texas tornado. Get the Heisman ready. I like Tavon Austin for the Black and Gold in next year's draft.