PDA

View Full Version : 53+ man roster, who fits where?

aggiebones
05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
QB= 3 = Big Ben + Leftwich, Batch, JJohnson, TSmith
We keep 3. I think its wide open. Will we keep a vet and a young player. Seems we got a couple young vets for a reason. I think 50% Batch or Lefty is gone and Johnson versus Smith for no.3 QB. If Batch is cut...we will keep his phone number handy

RB = 4 = Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch and Rainey + Mendy on pup
I think we keep 4 early and one gets cut or PS when Mendy comes back off the pup list. Is the battle Dwyer versus Clay or Batch versus Rainey? We may start with Redman, Dwyer, Clay + Batch OR Rainey. The other on the PS. Then when Mendy comes back, we cut either Dwyer or Clay outright. Always dependent on injuries. If someone goes down by game 6 or so, then someone keeps getting a paycheck.

WR = 5 = Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemons
Pretty cut and dry. If Wallace is a problem, we'll do something else. But as for now, this is pretty set assume Clemons is somewhat ready for the pros.

TE = 3 = Heath, Pope + DJohnson or Saunders or Paulson
Kinda open. Outside of Heath, they all bring something different to the table. Who fits better in the offense? We 'could' keep 4.

T = 4 = Gilbert, Adams, Colon, JScott
With such young players at important spots, I think we keep both JScott who can be swing guy and Colon who could start this year. I think the T spot is wide open. Gilbert or Adams at LT and everyone a chance at RT. At some point, maybe Colon is full time G and will move to T is injuries hit.

G/C = 5 = Pouncey, DeCastro, Legs, Foster and either Essex or Beachem.
I'd think Essex because we already have 2 rookies and a young T to worry about. At least Essex knows his assignment, even if he can't get there.

P = 1 = Kapinos - competition is nice, but I but Kap makes it through.

K = 1 = Suisham - same as above

LS = 1 = Warner - same as above

DL = 6 = Hampton, McLendon, Ta'amu, Hood, Heyward, Keisel
I think this is kinda set. If McClendon can play 'some' DE we'll be fine.

LB = 8 = Harrison, Woodley, Whorilds, Timmons, Foote, Syvester, Spence and Carter or Lindsey
Also, pretty set. Either Carter or Lindsey are PS, the other makes the team.

S = 4 = Clark, Polamalu + Allen, Cromartie-Smith, Golden, Mundy
We have 2 set safeties. The other 4 will be in a battle to the death.

CB = 5 = Taylor, Lewis, Cortez, Brown + TFred or Rolle or Carter
4 guaranteed, plus a ST battle for the 5th spot.

That's 50. We have 3 to play with, plus some PS
A 4th TE, 5th S, 6th WR, 6th CB, 4th QB, 9th LB, 10th OL, 7th DE.
These last 3 spots will be real camp battles. They may be competing across positions to be that extra. Ability to play ST will become extra important this season.

isonator07
05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
QB= 3 = Big Ben + Leftwich, Batch, JJohnson, TSmith
We keep 3. I think its wide open. Will we keep a vet and a young player. Seems we got a couple young vets for a reason. I think 50% Batch or Lefty is gone and Johnson versus Smith for no.3 QB. If Batch is cut...we will keep his phone number handy

RB = 4 = Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch and Rainey + Mendy on pup
I think we keep 4 early and one gets cut or PS when Mendy comes back off the pup list. Is the battle Dwyer versus Clay or Batch versus Rainey? We may start with Redman, Dwyer, Clay + Batch OR Rainey. The other on the PS. Then when Mendy comes back, we cut either Dwyer or Clay outright. Always dependent on injuries. If someone goes down by game 6 or so, then someone keeps getting a paycheck.

WR = 5 = Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemons
Pretty cut and dry. If Wallace is a problem, we'll do something else. But as for now, this is pretty set assume Clemons is somewhat ready for the pros.

TE = 3 = Heath, Pope + DJohnson or Saunders or Paulson
Kinda open. Outside of Heath, they all bring something different to the table. Who fits better in the offense? We 'could' keep 4.

T = 4 = Gilbert, Adams, Colon, JScott
With such young players at important spots, I think we keep both JScott who can be swing guy and Colon who could start this year. I think the T spot is wide open. Gilbert or Adams at LT and everyone a chance at RT. At some point, maybe Colon is full time G and will move to T is injuries hit.

G/C = 5 = Pouncey, DeCastro, Legs, Foster and either Essex or Beachem.
I'd think Essex because we already have 2 rookies and a young T to worry about. At least Essex knows his assignment, even if he can't get there.

P = 1 = Kapinos - competition is nice, but I but Kap makes it through.

K = 1 = Suisham - same as above

LS = 1 = Warner - same as above

DL = 6 = Hampton, McLendon, Ta'amu, Hood, Heyward, Keisel
I think this is kinda set. If McClendon can play 'some' DE we'll be fine.

LB = 8 = Harrison, Woodley, Whorilds, Timmons, Foote, Syvester, Spence and Carter or Lindsey
Also, pretty set. Either Carter or Lindsey are PS, the other makes the team.

S = 4 = Clark, Polamalu + Allen, Cromartie-Smith, Golden, Mundy
We have 2 set safeties. The other 4 will be in a battle to the death.

CB = 5 = Taylor, Lewis, Cortez, Brown + TFred or Rolle or Carter
4 guaranteed, plus a ST battle for the 5th spot.

That's 50. We have 3 to play with, plus some PS
A 4th TE, 5th S, 6th WR, 6th CB, 4th QB, 9th LB, 10th OL, 7th DE.
These last 3 spots will be real camp battles. They may be competing across positions to be that extra. Ability to play ST will become extra important this season.

At RB the best option to make the practice squad would be Batch. Coming off the ACL and being a late round pick. Rainey can lineup in the slot and return so I'd say hes pretty close to a lock. To me its down to Batch or Clay and I think Batch makes it to the practice squad, but what do I know?

I hope that Beachum proves to be a solid LS, then we can keep him as a backup emergency OL and full time starter at LS. I'm not sure if thats common practice or smart but it would be nice to hang on to him if he shows promise, and if that is the deciding factor I'm pulling for him at LS.

I also hope we find a way to keep TE Saunders on the roster. I'd hate to lose a promising guy at TE. I love Heath but I think Saunders could be the longterm answer.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
QB
1.Ben Roethlisberger
2.Byron Leftwich
3.Charlie Batch

RB
Mendenhall (starts season on PUP)
4.Redman
5.Dwyer/Clay
6.Rainey
7.Batch

FB/H-Back
8. Paulson

TE
9. Miller
10.Pope
11.D.J. Johnson
Weslye Saunders suspended first four games of the season

WR
12.Brown
13.Wallace
14.Sanders
15.Cotchery
16.Clemons/Maze

OT
17.Gilbert
18Colon
19.J. Scott/Turner
20.Adams

OG
21.Foster
22.DeCastro
23.Essex
24. C. Scott/Beachum

C
25.Pouncey
26.Legursky

DE
27.Hood
28.Keisel
29.Heyward
30.Bryant/Woods

NT
31.Hampton
32.McLendon
33.Ta'amu

OLB
34.Woodley
35.Harrison
36.Worilds
37.Carter

ILB
38.Foote
39.Timmons
40.Sylvester
41.Spence

CB
42.Taylor
43.Lewis
44.Allen
45.Brown
46.Frederick

S
47.Polamalu
48.Clark
49.Mundy
50.Allen/Cromartie-Smith/Rolle/Golden

P
51.Kapinos/Butler

K
52.Suisham

LS
53. Warren/Beachum

Mister Pittsburgh
05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Why not offer Batch a few hundred thousand to be assistant QB coach and if feces hits the fan then sign him to a contract?

Oviedo
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Might we consider Rainey ar the 5th WR? He really is a "slash" type player. Clemons could stick on the PS unless he really lights it up in the pre-season.

focosteeler
05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
QB
1. Roethlisberger
2. Leftwich
3. Troy Smith
(Batch signed as a coach, emergency QB if everyone starts dying)

RB
Mendenhall ( PUP --> IR, no point rushing him back if he isn’t 100%, try and sign him cheap next offseason)
4. Redman
5. Dwyer
7. Batch
6. Rainey

TE
8. Miller
9. Pope
(10.) Saunders suspended first 4 games of the season)

TE/H-Back
11. Will Johnson (Might push Pope off the roster when Saunders comes back)

WR
12. Wallace
13. Brown
14. Sanders
15. Cotchery
16. Clemons

OT
17. Gilbert
18. Colon
19. Starks (His veteran leadership will help with Adams)
20. Adams

OG
21. Foster
22. DeCastro
23. Essex
24. Beachum

C
25. Pouncey
26. Legursky

DE
27. Hood
28. Keisel
29. Heyward
30. Woods

NT
31. Hampton
32. McLendon
33. Ta'amu

OLB
34. Woodley
35. Harrison
36. Worilds
37. Carter

ILB
38. Timmons
39. Foote
40. Sylvester
41. Spence

CB
42. Taylor
43. Lewis
44. Allen
45. Brown
46. Frederick

S
47. Polamalu
48. Clark
49. Mundy
50. Rolle
51. Cromartie-Smith

P
52. Kapinos

K
53. Suisham

LS
Beachum (already counted)

Practice Squad
QB – Jerrod Johnson
RB – John Clay
WR – Connor Dixon or Marquis Maze
TE – David Paulson
OL – Trevis Turner
DL – Corbin Bryant
LB – Adrian Robinson
DB – Robert Golden

its weird not having Ward, Smith and Farrior on this list.......

Chadman
05-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Very early, but let's play..

QB's- 3
Rosthlisberger, Leftwich, Smith (Batch only a phonecall away, Johnson to PS)

RB's- 4
Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Rainey (Mendenhall to PUP, Clay to PS)

FB/TE's- 3
Miller, Pope, Wes Johnson (Paulson to PS)

WR's- 6
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemons, Derrick Williams

OT's- 4
Colon, Gilbert, Adams, J Scott (Could change if Starks is available/ready)

OG's- 4
DeCastro, Foster, Legursky, Beachum (Beachum is also the LS)

OC's- 1
Pouncey (Legursky is the backup)

DT's- 3
Hampton, McLendon, Ta'amu

DE's- 5
Keisel, Heyward, Hood, Woods, Bryant

OLB's- 4
Harrison, Woodley, Worilds, Carter

ILB's- 5
Foote, Timmons, Sylvester, Spence, Ivy

CB's- 5
Taylor, Allen, Brown, Lewis, Frederick

S- 4
Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, Rolle

K- 1
Suisham

P-1
Kapinos

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 12:06 AM
FB/TE's- 3
Miller, Pope, Wes Johnson (Paulson to PS)

Is your #3 TE Wes Saunders or Will Johnson? (You can't have an amalgam of both.) :p

focosteeler
05-03-2012, 01:57 AM
He is the Chadman.......he does what he pleases

Chadman
05-03-2012, 02:21 AM
He is the Chadman.......he does what he pleases

:D

Don't question- BELIEVE!

Chadman
05-03-2012, 02:22 AM
For the record, if not Wes Johnson, then it'll likely be Will Johnson.

MeetJoeGreene
05-03-2012, 07:52 AM
I am going to give chadman the benefit of the doubt on this one given his draft predictions

steelblood
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Pope has a great inside track knowing the OC and his system. But, man I hope it is an open competition at TE. Pope is a very average-to-poor NFL TE. Saunders has talent and his suspension is nothing to worry about.

Does anyone know if Saunders will count against the 53 man roster while under suspension?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
QB
1. Roethlisberger
2. Leftwich
3. Johnson

RB
*Mendenhall (PUP)
4. Redman
5. Dwyer
6. Batch
7. Rainey

TE
*Saunders (Suspended)
8. Miller
9. Pope
10. Paulson

FB
11. Will Johnson

WR
12. Wallace
13. Brown
14. Sanders
15. Cotchery
16. Clemons

OL
17. Gilbert
18. Colon
19. Starks
20. Adams
21. Foster
22. DeCastro
23. Essex
24. Pouncey
25. Legursky

DL
26. Hood
27. Keisel
28. Heyward
29. Woods
30. Hampton
31. McLendon
32. Ta'amu

LB
33. Woodley
34. Harrison
35. Worilds
36. Carter
37. Timmons
38. Foote
39. Sylvester
40. Spence
41. Lindsey

CB
42. Taylor
43. Lewis
44. Allen
45. Brown
46. Frederick

S
47. Polamalu
48. Clark
49. Mundy
50. Rolle

P
51. Butler

K
52. Resell

LS
53. Warren

Practice Squad
RB – John Clay
WR – Connor Dixon / Tyler Beiler
WR - Marquis Maze
OL – Trevis Turner / Chris Scott
DL – Corbin Bryant / Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
LB – Adrian Robinson
S – Robert Golden / Damon Cromartie-Smith
OL - Kelvin Beachum

Oviedo
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Pope has a great inside track knowing the OC and his system. But, man I hope it is an open competition at TE. Pope is a very average-to-poor NFL TE. Saunders has talent and his suspension is nothing to worry about.

Does anyone know if Saunders will count against the 53 man roster while under suspension?

I think Pope was brought in to be a better option as a blocker than David Johnson who is very poor. I agree that Saunders is the one we want on the field with Miller, but he needs to show more and as they typically do the Steelers are going to send him a message about his positive test that he may lose what he has so he better come back better than ever.

aggiebones
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
One thing I'm pretty sure of is that we will not save a spot at LS. If Beachem wills the LS role, which I doubt, then we'll keep another OL.
Yes, in a pinch he'll play OL, but either he makes it as a LS or OL. And he BETTER concentrate on what he's better at. Or he'll be out of a job. For those that think LS is just an extra, remember some lost playoff games. The Steelers know this. A good LS is far more important than a mediocre G. We can find one of those daily.

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
A good LS is far more important than a mediocre G. We can find one of those daily.

If there is one thing the Steelers are GREAT at, it's finding mediocre guards. :lol:

Oviedo
05-03-2012, 03:43 PM
One thing I'm pretty sure of is that we will not save a spot at LS. If Beachem wills the LS role, which I doubt, then we'll keep another OL.
Yes, in a pinch he'll play OL, but either he makes it as a LS or OL. And he BETTER concentrate on what he's better at. Or he'll be out of a job. For those that think LS is just an extra, remember some lost playoff games. The Steelers know this. A good LS is far more important than a mediocre G. We can find one of those daily.

But a mediocre Guard who can be developed and can also long snap = GOLD versus a Good LS who will never be able to do anything else

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
But a mediocre Guard who can be developed and can also long snap = GOLD versus a Good LS who will never be able to do anything else

It's Gold, Jerry! GOLD!!! :D

http://www.theessentialsoftrading.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bania.jpg

kindlecatsb'ng
05-04-2012, 10:14 AM
its weird not having Ward, Smith and Farrior on this list.......[/QUOTE]

That is the first thing I thought when I started reading this thread.

aggiebones
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Not gonna happen.

Count 1 LS EVERY year again the 53. Sorry

If it EVER happens, then begin speculating.

Maybe if you are a crap team that isn't going to the playoffs, then maybe try and get another random guard with a 10% chance of elevating his game and see what happens. But a playoff team won't be that stupid.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Not gonna happen.

Count 1 LS EVERY year again the 53. Sorry

If it EVER happens, then begin speculating.

Maybe if you are a crap team that isn't going to the playoffs, then maybe try and get another random guard with a 10% chance of elevating his game and see what happens. But a playoff team won't be that stupid.

A two-time championship team has been that stupid (as recently as the last Super Bowl a few months ago).

The Giants had a full time long snapper like everyone else until 2007, when they drafted defensive tackle Jay Alford from Penn State in the 3rd round and linebacker Zak DeOssie (son of former Giant LB Steve DeOssie) from Brown University in the 4th round. Their regular long snapper Ryan Kuehl was injured in the 2007 preseason and put on I.R., so the Giants turned to these two rookies instead of signing another full time long snapper. The DT and the LB split long snapping duties (Alford snapped for FG's and PAT's and DeOssie snapped for punts), and the Giants won the Super Bowl that year (as a DT in that Super Bowl, Alford sacked Tom Brady with less than a minute to play to bring up a 3rd and 20 desperation situation). DeOssie took over all long snapping duties when Alford tore his ACL/MCL in the 2009 preseason, spent that year on I.R., and was waived in the fall of 2010, and the linebacker has been their long snapper ever since. The Giants won 2 out of the last 5 Super Bowls while using position players to long-snap instead of a full-time-long-snapper-only.

Discipline of Steel
05-04-2012, 09:16 PM
A two-time championship team has been that stupid (as recently as the last Super Bowl a few months ago).

The Giants had a full time long snapper like everyone else until 2007, when they drafted defensive tackle Jay Alford from Penn State in the 3rd round and linebacker Zak DeOssie (son of former Giant LB Steve DeOssie) from Brown University in the 4th round. Their regular long snapper Ryan Kuehl was injured in the 2007 preseason and put on I.R., so the Giants turned to these two rookies instead of signing another full time long snapper. The DT and the LB split long snapping duties (Alford snapped for FG's and PAT's and DeOssie snapped for punts), and the Giants won the Super Bowl that year (as a DT in that Super Bowl, Alford sacked Tom Brady with less than a minute to play to bring up a 3rd and 20 desperation situation). DeOssie took over all long snapping duties when Alford tore his ACL/MCL in the 2009 preseason, spent that year on I.R., and was waived in the fall of 2010, and the linebacker has been their long snapper ever since. The Giants won 2 out of the last 5 Super Bowls while using position players to long-snap instead of a full-time-long-snapper-only.

NEVER speak in superlatives because someone will ALWAYS disprove them.

AkronSteel
05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I'll give it a shot!!!

Offense:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, Troy Smith (3)

The first one is obvious, Big Ben is one of the best in the league and I have a feeling that now that he has a line in front of him, his best years are ahead. I think Charlie makes the final 53 because Lefty will once again wind up injured. I think Troy Smith has potential and as a 3rd option he is not so bad. He has won games in this league before.

RB: Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Batch, Mendenhall (PUP) (4)

Redman will obviously start the season in the 1 spot. He is a solid runner who will give the Steelers a little attitude in the running game. I have the feeling that Dwyer will come in strong this year and could be headed for more carries that we all anticipate. Rainey could be a wild card who is used all over the field at RB, WR and maybe primarily in the slot and as a returner. Batch could end up being the primary 3rd down back if he can continue the performance he had last training camp as far as catching and blocking. If I remember correctly he did a pretty impressive job against Harrison and Woodley last year in blocking drills. When Mendy comes back the Steelers will have a decision to make and will probably find a way to keep all these guys through the year. Nothing like a mysterious injury come mid-season. Overall this is a very solid group.

WR: Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemons, Veteran FA (6)

The Steelers are blessed with one of the top WR groups in the NFL. Wallace, even though he is in a contract situation right now will eventually sign a fair extension and will add the speed that makes the Steelers team dangerous and give the other WR's on the squad better opportunities. Big things are expected of Antonio Brown this season and I'm sure that he will deliver. He is just as dangerous as Wallace except he is much better after the catch as opposed to sending it deep! If Emmanuel Sanders can stay healthy he can add a 3rd option to this unit and make it dangerous all over the field. Cotchery is a veteran presence who steps up when needed and has steady hands. Toney Clemons is a developmental guy who will probably not suit up for most games but will be a guy the team can stash and develop. I have a feeling that the team will add another veteran WR by the start of camp. Tomlin likes his receivers and I'm sure they want a little more security at the position with Sanders health history and Wallace's contract situation. This unit makes the Steelers contenders if healthy and happy.

TE: Miller, Pope, D. Johnson (FB), Saunders (Suspended) (4)

Heath Miller is one of the most complete TE's in the NFL and will once again do a solid job blocking and giving Roethlisberger a security blanket and consistent target. Leonard Pope was brought in this offseason. Pope will be an upgrade in the blocking department and is a solid veteran in the locker room. David Johnson, although not a fan favorite will probably once again play the FB/H-Back role and will be solid if not asked to do too much. Weslye Saunders is too good of a talent to let something as dumb as his use of Adderol for ADHD to remove him from the Steelers future. He made a mistake not to report it to the league so that he had the okay to use it but I just don't see the team giving up on him for that.

OL: Adams (LT), Colon (LG), Pouncey (C), DeCastro (RG), Gilbert (RT), J. Scott, Foster, Legursky, Beachum (9)

The Steelers may have made their offense complete in late April by selecting David Decastro and Mike Adams in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft. They both should step into the starting lineup and make the Steelers front 5 better than it has been in years. Adams may either play LT or RT depending on what direction the Steelers want to go but he and Marcus Gilbert will give the Steelers bookends for years to come. DeCastro joins Pouncey inside to give the Steelers two top notch players who will give Ben protection in the pass and push in the run game. DeCastro will give the Steelers the opportunity to pull to all directions again. Willie Colon will return and if he can stay healthy will probably fill the LG position. He will be less prone to injury there and with his expected loss of speed from the Achilles injury it may be a better fit for him in the long term. The team suddenly has solid depth as well with former starters Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky inside and Jonathan Scott outside. Max Starks may also be brought back and may take Scott's spot on the 53. Kelvin Beachum is a project who could lose his roster spot to a few different players in training camp but his position flexibility and the ability to long snap will probably win him a position. He will probably not suit up for most games this season. Overall this unit is much improved and the Steelers may have actually found the guys to solidify the front and keep Big Ben upright.

Continued.......

AkronSteel
05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Defense:

DL: Hood (LE), Hampton (NT), Keisel (RE), Heyward, C. Bryant, McClendon, Ta'amu (7)

This unit has added plenty of young talent over the last several years that should make them set for the next 5-6 years. Ziggy Hood will finally have the opportunity to come into camp as the starter and with an offseason to rest that bad leg he was playing on last year I expect big things from him in 2012. Brett Keisel is the veteran presence that will teach the young kids how to be professionals and do the things the right way. He led the Steelers in QB pressures last year and I expect him to once again be a calming factor and go to guy up front. Casey Hampton may or may not be ready for the start of the regular season but if he is not the Steelers have two players who will be more than capable of stepping in. Steve McClendon showed very well last season and defensive line coach John Mitchell speaks very highly of him and his potential to contribute this season. Alameda Ta'amu is a rookie who fits the Steelers system perfectly. He will clog the middle in the run game and add some push to the middle of the pocket in the pass game. He will be a contributor early in his career I believe. Cameron Heyward will be coming into his second season and if he improves from year 1 to year 2 like most players do. He will be the 3rd DE and give the Steelers a very nice rotation. The kid has a ton of potential and he could give them this generations Ray Seals if he continues to progress. Corbin Bryant is a player who I believe has the potential to be a player down the road and a guy that the Steelers may be left with no choice but to protect. He is also one of those guys who will probably not suit up often this year but he will be a better option than Al Woods, and hopefully he can continue to develop.

LB: Woodley (LOLB), Timmons (ILB), Foote (ILB), Harrison (ROLB), Worilds, Carter, Sylvester, Spence (8 )

This unit is the backbone of the Steelers team and the defense suffered last year when they couldn't seem to keep both Woodley and Harrison on the field at the same time. When together they cause the opposing offenses tons of trouble in protection. Lawrence Timmons did not make as many big plays as expected last season but he was playing out of position for much of the year. I expect big things from him in 2012. Larry Foote will initially replace James Farrior next to Timmons and be a solid veteran to rely on but the Steelers have young depth who could take snaps from Foote as the season progresses. Stevenson Sylvester could share snaps to begin the season if he steps up this offseason. Sean Spence was also drafted in the 3rd round with tons of potential and initially special teams capabilities. Jason Worilds and Chris Carter picked up needed experience last year when they were thrown to the fire due to injuries. Worilds in particular showed well down the stretch last season when the Steelers were without Woodley. This unit is deep and loaded with potential all over.

CB: Taylor, K. Lewis, Allen, C. Brown, Frederick (5)

The Steelers are finally moving towards the future at CB. Ike Taylor will once again lead the unit and even though his season ended in disaster in Denver he was very very solid last season. He played Pro Bowl level football for much of the year. He for the most part shuts down half the field and gives the Steelers the ability to throw tricks with the safeties and linebackers. Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown will compete for the other starting CB position, all bringing different skill sets to the table. Lewis is probably the lead dog going into August but Allen and Brown have the potential to contribute and possibly take the job at any point. Either way the Steelers are stocked with young players who can get the job done when called upon in my opinion. Terrence Frederick was drafted in the 7th round with the potential to be the 5th CB this season and learn the NFL game. He has potential in the slot moving forward.

S: Clark, Polamalu, Mundy, W. Allen (4)

Status Quo at the safety position for the Steelers as Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu are two Pro Bowl safeties. They add punch and excitement to the Steelers defense and can make big plays at any time. Even though their interception numbers were down last season I would expect that to increase with the Harrison/Woodley duo back to add pressure upfront. Ryan Mundy, despite his mistake in Denver is a solid young veteran who can step in at either FS or SS if need be. He can hold his own in the short term. Will Allen adds a good special teams player that is needed after the release of Arnaz Battle. He could however lose his position to Cromartie-Smith depending on what happens in camp. Plus you never know if one of the UDFA's or young veterans step up and steal a position. This unit will not hurt the Steelers in 2012 thats for sure and they could lead the Steelers back to Super Bowl contention.

ST: Suisham (K), Bulter (P), Warren (LS) (3)

Shaun Suisham, I guess, will go into 2012 as the Steelers #1 kicker. I was sure hoping that the team would find an alternative to him in the offseason but it doesn't look as if that is going to happen. If he does stay he needs to improve big time from 40 yards and out. I never feel comfortable with him unless the team is inside the 20. Drew Butler and Jeremy Kapinos will compete in training camp for the punter position but I think the kid wins out. Kapinos is solid if needed but the Steelers lost a lot when Sepulveda went down last year and if Butler can show that he can be competent with good hang time then I believe the Steelers will make the change. Greg Warren is a solid veteran who always gets the job done as the long snapper. He is under contract for 2012 and I fully expect him to continue in the role he has held for quite a few seasons now.

Overall this a solid squad with the potential to do special things in 2012 if the cards fall right and they can stay relatively healthy. Injuries were their down fall last season and I would expect that will be a focus this offseason. They have the potential to go all the way to #7 and make all of us very happy, but you never know.....there is a thin line!!!

:tt1

Oviedo
05-07-2012, 07:47 AM
I'll give it a shot!!!

Offense:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, Troy Smith (3)

The first one is obvious, Big Ben is one of the best in the league and I have a feeling that now that he has a line in front of him, his best years are ahead. I think Charlie makes the final 53 because Lefty will once again wind up injured. I think Troy Smith has potential and as a 3rd option he is not so bad. He has won games in this league before.

RB: Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Batch, Mendenhall (PUP) (4)

Redman will obviously start the season in the 1 spot. He is a solid runner who will give the Steelers a little attitude in the running game. I have the feeling that Dwyer will come in strong this year and could be headed for more carries that we all anticipate. Rainey could be a wild card who is used all over the field at RB, WR and maybe primarily in the slot and as a returner. Batch could end up being the primary 3rd down back if he can continue the performance he had last training camp as far as catching and blocking. If I remember correctly he did a pretty impressive job against Harrison and Woodley last year in blocking drills. When Mendy comes back the Steelers will have a decision to make and will probably find a way to keep all these guys through the year. Nothing like a mysterious injury come mid-season. Overall this is a very solid group.

WR: Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemons, Veteran FA (6)

The Steelers are blessed with one of the top WR groups in the NFL. Wallace, even though he is in a contract situation right now will eventually sign a fair extension and will add the speed that makes the Steelers team dangerous and give the other WR's on the squad better opportunities. Big things are expected of Antonio Brown this season and I'm sure that he will deliver. He is just as dangerous as Wallace except he is much better after the catch as opposed to sending it deep! If Emmanuel Sanders can stay healthy he can add a 3rd option to this unit and make it dangerous all over the field. Cotchery is a veteran presence who steps up when needed and has steady hands. Toney Clemons is a developmental guy who will probably not suit up for most games but will be a guy the team can stash and develop. I have a feeling that the team will add another veteran WR by the start of camp. Tomlin likes his receivers and I'm sure they want a little more security at the position with Sanders health history and Wallace's contract situation. This unit makes the Steelers contenders if healthy and happy.

TE: Miller, Pope, D. Johnson (FB), Saunders (Suspended) (4)

Heath Miller is one of the most complete TE's in the NFL and will once again do a solid job blocking and giving Roethlisberger a security blanket and consistent target. Leonard Pope was brought in this offseason. Pope will be an upgrade in the blocking department and is a solid veteran in the locker room. David Johnson, although not a fan favorite will probably once again play the FB/H-Back role and will be solid if not asked to do too much. Weslye Saunders is too good of a talent to let something as dumb as his use of Adderol for ADHD to remove him from the Steelers future. He made a mistake not to report it to the league so that he had the okay to use it but I just don't see the team giving up on him for that.

OL: Adams (LT), Colon (LG), Pouncey (C), DeCastro (RG), Gilbert (RT), J. Scott, Foster, Legursky, Beachum (9)

The Steelers may have made their offense complete in late April by selecting David Decastro and Mike Adams in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft. They both should step into the starting lineup and make the Steelers front 5 better than it has been in years. Adams may either play LT or RT depending on what direction the Steelers want to go but he and Marcus Gilbert will give the Steelers bookends for years to come. DeCastro joins Pouncey inside to give the Steelers two top notch players who will give Ben protection in the pass and push in the run game. DeCastro will give the Steelers the opportunity to pull to all directions again. Willie Colon will return and if he can stay healthy will probably fill the LG position. He will be less prone to injury there and with his expected loss of speed from the Achilles injury it may be a better fit for him in the long term. The team suddenly has solid depth as well with former starters Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky inside and Jonathan Scott outside. Max Starks may also be brought back and may take Scott's spot on the 53. Kelvin Beachum is a project who could lose his roster spot to a few different players in training camp but his position flexibility and the ability to long snap will probably win him a position. He will probably not suit up for most games this season. Overall this unit is much improved and the Steelers may have actually found the guys to solidify the front and keep Big Ben upright.

Continued.......

Good list, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay on the team until Mendy comes back and I wouldn't be surprised to see Rainey carried as the #5 or #6 WR.

I also think Beachum has to make the roster as the Longsnapper or he will be in the PS.

Leftwich will be the #2 unless he gets hurt. Batch will not get signed by another team and will be sitting around if the Steelers need him.

aggiebones
05-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Ahh, check this website:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/depth-chart/NYG/new-york-giants

DeOssie is not listed on their defensive depth chart. YET, is listed as their LS. They have 10 other LBs listed. He had 10 STs tackles last year.
And from what you have told me, in 1 year they actually had 2 LS guys who also did spot duty. How did that save a spot? lol
They had an issue losing their LS in one year and had TWO guys split the duty. Then they told DeOssie to concentrate on it.

My superlative stands unchallenged.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Ahh, check this website:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/depth-chart/NYG/new-york-giants

DeOssie is not listed on their defensive depth chart. YET, is listed as their LS. They have 10 other LBs listed. He had 10 STs tackles last year.
And from what you have told me, in 1 year they actually had 2 LS guys who also did spot duty. How did that save a spot? lol
They had an issue losing their LS in one year and had TWO guys split the duty. Then they told DeOssie to concentrate on it.

My superlative stands unchallenged.

People are talking about potentially using a 7th round backup guard as a long snapper.

The Giants used a 3rd round backup defensive lineman and a 4th round backup linebacker as their long snappers. They did not draft Alford and DeOssie with the thought of making them their long snapper...they were using reasonably high picks for what they thought would be a decent DT and LB. Alford's career didn't pan out (injury played a part), but the fact remains that he snapped for field goals and extra points in that Super Bowl against the Patriots and also was able to sack Tom Brady on New England's last minute desperation drive to force 3rd and 20 (in other words, he was a legit DL prospect and not just a long snapper like Greg Warren, or else Coughlin wouldn't have had him in the defensive line rotation in such a critical part of the biggest game in his life). The Giants drafted Zak DeOssie because they thought that he could be a solid LB like his old man Steve, but that didn't turn out...but because this smart Ivy League linebacker picked up this one extra skill, he still has an NFL job today (and I'm sure that he could still fill in at LB in a pinch, which is again, more than you can say for the Greg Warren types). I'm not looking down on full-time longsnappers...just pointing out that other position players, with practice, could potentially get good enough to long snap as well. After all, two guys on these Giants championship teams just did it.

Oviedo
05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
They need to give Beachum a 100% opportunity to do everything he can to win the LS job and save the roster space.