PDA

View Full Version : Did the Steelers draft like always or did they go after need?

SteelCrazy
04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Simply looking at the Steelers draft, it appears they went after need and need only. However, if you take the time to think about it, they actually did what they always do. Draft the BPA.

Who was better than DeCastro at #24? No one, thats who.

Who was better than Mike Adams at #56? No one, thats who.

Spence? Well, that will come with a matter of opinion, but in the Steelers board room........no one, thats who.

And so on it goes. I think they did like they do every year. It just happened to address need for once. Anyone think differently?

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
They NEVER deviate from their board.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2012, 10:29 PM

even when we drafted Troy Edwards? you don't think the fact that we were desperate for a WR factored in even just a little when we made this selection?

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2012, 11:47 PM
even when we drafted Troy Edwards? you don't think the fact that we were desperate for a WR factored in even just a little when we made this selection?

Different regime...that was a pre-Colbert pick.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Different regime...that was a pre-Colbert pick.

Exactly!!!!!!!!

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM

I remember reading that the Steelers had ILB Sean Lee rated as a #1 round draft choice, yet we chose OLB Jason Worilds instead. do you think we had Worilds rated higher on our board (which would have to mean that we too had a first-round grade on him) or did we deviate from our board because Tomlin was in love with him and we needed an OLB more?

Slapstick
05-01-2012, 03:07 PM
In the 2012 draft, there was a (pardon the expression) confluence of need, want and value for the Pittsburgh Steelers...based upon how they drafted, I would say that they performed admirably...

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Steelers’ draft a matter of timing

By Ralph N. Paulk
Tribune-Review

Published: Wednesday, May 2, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=lDtME dWY40SFEzaTCS2Rrc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvjIOQhTFlA332 YlZwEVTYxWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers didn’t necessarily get everyone they wanted during the NFL Draft, but offensive linemen David DeCastro and Mike Adams had something to do with that.

With DeCastro and Adams sliding down the draft board, the Steelers didn’t get the high-value defensive back or linebacker they coveted. Not that they’re complaining.

“When you put a draft board together, you are just hoping and you know where you want to add some youth and competition,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “You let the board dictate when it’s going to be available, and sometimes it fits together.”

Coach Mike Tomlin trumpeted his commitment to last year’s rookie cornerbacks, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, by waiting until the seventh round to select Texas A&M cornerback Terrence Frederick. Tomlin and Colbert didn’t appear too concerned about the departures of veteran corners William Gay (Arizona) and Bryant McFadden.

“I do think the Steelers like those young corners, and it’s a situation that they know those guys,” said ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. “They were drafted and brought in, and they’ve worked with them, so they know what they’re made of.

“They feel they have some young kids who are ready to go. So they drafted accordingly to their board. It’s not as if they took guys who are overrated or overhyped or overdrafted.”

Frederick’s chance of making the active roster hinges largely on his special teams performance. Brown, who missed much of the 2011 preseason with injuries, led the Steelers in special team tackles but his role may change significantly in his second year.

“I feel the Steelers think (Brown and Allen) are better than people thought they were,” Kiper said. “Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin have a great handle on what their personnel can do. I think it’s one of the reasons why they passed on some (defensive backs) earlier in the draft.”

The Steelers signed two undrafted rookie defensive backs — cornerback Terry Carter of Louisiana Tech and safety Robert Golden of Arizona. Frederick, a three-year starter with the Aggies, will get a long look during this weekend’s rookie orientation.

“(Frederick) has a chance to contribute at a position where we feel we could use some depth and competition,” Colbert said.

Kiper said Sean Spence, a linebacker from Miami, was perhaps the Steelers’ most intriguing selection. A third-round pick, Spence weighs only 230 pounds, and his pass-coverage skills convinced some scouts he might be a better fit at safety.

“At one point, it looked like he would be a safety,” Kiper said. “Now, it looks as if he’s going to be a 3-4 weak-side linebacker. So, now we’ll see how he fits in in Pittsburgh.”

While Kiper gave the Steelers a B grade, he doubts Adams is the right fit for the Steelers.

“Adams isn’t what the Steelers are about,” he said. “He is more of a finesse guy. He is not the guy who gets after you. He’s not consistent, and he’s lackadaisical in his performance.

“But DeCastro is a typical Steeler offensive lineman. I’m surprised he dropped all the way to 24th, and I’m sure the (Steelers) were, too.”

Note: The Steelers are hosting fan camps June 23-24 in Mexico City. Attending will be linebacker James Harrison, defensive end Brett Keisel, receiver Emmanuel Sanders and safety Ryan Mundy, among others. For information on registration, visit www.ticketmaster.com.mx (http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx).

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1287756-85/steelers-draft-defensive-frederick-kiper-unrestricted-adams-backs-board-brown

MeetJoeGreene
05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I, for one, am JOYOUS over this draft.
I would have been REALLY ticked if Round 1 and 2 were an ILB and CB/S.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
If they chose need over BPA, they probably would not have drafted Adams before Ta'amu.

Situation at OT is Gilbert, Colon starters, J. Scott as an expensive backup along with a few other unspectacular players. I've never been sold on Colon but I believe that the FO is and proved that with a nice contract last year and a restructure this year.

Situation at NT is Hampton with ACL and a lot of age. McClendon a second year third stringer behind him.

Situation at ILB is that Larry Foote is a starter, and we really haven't seen enough of what the FO thinks of Sly to determine if they are comfortable with him as the #1 backup.

I would believe that the FO viewed need at these three positions to be NT, ILB, OT in order.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
I remember reading that the Steelers had ILB Sean Lee rated as a #1 round draft choice, yet we chose OLB Jason Worilds instead. do you think we had Worilds rated higher on our board (which would have to mean that we too had a first-round grade on him) or did we deviate from our board because Tomlin was in love with him and we needed an OLB more?

Just further proof you should stick to your draft board. Had we done so, we would have Sean Lee in the middle with Woodley and Harrison on the outsides.

NorthCoast
05-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Just further proof you should stick to your draft board. Had we done so, we would have Sean Lee in the middle with Woodley and Harrison on the outsides.

No one really knows (other than those in the room) how the draft unfolds. It could have been a case where the Steelers had Lee and Worilds ranked nearly dead even and they allowed Tomlin to be the tie-breaker. Tomlin picked Worilds so now history records it as a Tomlin pick. But that doesnt mean the Steeler staff would not have done the same.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
No one really knows (other than those in the room) how the draft unfolds. It could have been a case where the Steelers had Lee and Worilds ranked nearly dead even and they allowed Tomlin to be the tie-breaker. Tomlin picked Worilds so now history records it as a Tomlin pick. But that doesnt mean the Steeler staff would not have done the same.

If you choose to read the following & still think they had them ranked the same then more power to you...

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-worilds-man-of-his-word-244695/

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2012, 10:19 AM
If you choose to read the following & still think they had them ranked the same then more power to you...

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-worilds-man-of-his-word-244695/

Bouchette made it clear that the team never shows any of the media its draft board...before, during, or after the draft. So where did Dulac come across this info that Lee "appeared" to be player the Steelers were targeting in round 2? Pure speculation on his part? How did he know that the Steelers had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft? Perhaps it was a smokescreen (imagine that). Maybe some Pittsburgh area writer asked about Lee specifically in a pre-draft press conference because he went to Upper St. Clair High School in Pittsburgh (like they did with Aliquippa's Darrelle Revis in Tomlin's first draft). Learning from the Revis experience, perhaps Tomlin, knowing the team wanted Worilds at OLB in round 2 and not Lee at ILB in round 2, provided that glowing evaluation of Lee so that another team might take Lee, making it more likely that Worilds would fall to us. Is this complete conjecture on my part? Absolutely...but that's what Dulac's take on the Worilds over Lee pick is as well. If the team really prescribed to the "Steelers did not think he would be available when it came their turn" rule of thumb when it comes to making selections, then Dont'a Hightower would be a Steeler right now instead of David DeCastro.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
From the same article you read Bouchette say they don't share their draft board info he also stated they had Hightower & Decastro ranked about the same. How did he get that info?

Eich
05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
From the same article you read Bouchette say they don't share their draft board info he also stated they had Hightower & Decastro ranked about the same. How did he get that info?

I think he said that the Steelers share some information with him on certain players but never, ever the entire draft board. The Decastro/Hightower information was one of the things that the Steelers shared with him.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I think he said that the Steelers share some information with him on certain players but never, ever the entire draft board. The Decastro/Hightower information was one of the things that the Steelers shared with him.

But you think Dulac pulled 'thought he fit the way they played better than any other LB in the draft' out of thin air? Seems like that's cherry picking quotes to trust to back up one train of thought over another.

Oviedo
05-05-2012, 11:33 AM

What was the source? When I hear it from Colbert or Tomlin I'd believe it.