PDA

View Full Version : Great draft, but who's runnin the ball?

8467thekraken
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
With Mendenhall not going to be ready this year, who is gonna get the nod as the primary back?

I like Redman, but I like him in the role he holds down. I really don't want to start screwin with other things to get one thing to work only to then have one or two more things that are now off cilter.
I, personally, would like to see Dwyer realize his potential. And if it's not gonna be him, then Clay.

And then the battle between Batch, Rainey and Spann for that spot... should be sick.
My money is on Rainey.

So I guess I would like it to be Dwyer-Redman-Rainey.

Here We Go!!!!

feltdizz
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Redman gets the start and Dwyer and Clay split carries... sprinkle in Batch or Rainey and see what what happens.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Redman is the primary getting 15 carries a game with Dwyer or Clay getting the others. Batch & Rainey as 3rd down backs. Mostly we will be chucking the rock.
I dn't understand everyones angst over this. Redman ripped off 121 yards rushing on 17 carries in a playoff game & has done nothing but perform when handed the ball. Dwyer ripped off 100+ inhis only start. Batch was the camp phenom & Rain man is a stud receiving RB. Clay can run with authority as well. And all those numbers were put up behind a terrible OL that we just upgraded.

All I can think is these backs weren't top picks so people don't trust them. Redman had dang near just as many carries over 30yds as Mendy did in far far less carries. Mendy will be back mid season.

We'll be fine.

TD386Steel
04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Hopefully one of them will step up, come to camp prepared, in shape, with a basic comprehension of the new playbook, which will be given out this week. I would love for it to be Dwyer as well. He was fun to watch in College. Love to see Pouncey & DeCastro lead the way on a couple of screens to Rainey oh baby!!!

Crash
04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
If Dwyer takes this bull by the horns and shows up in shape? His job to lose. He was lucky he wasn't cut last year when he showed up fat, it would behoove him to not make that same mistake again.

Snatch98
04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
If Dwyer takes this bull by the horns and shows up in shape? His job to lose. He was lucky he wasn't cut last year when he showed up fat, it would behoove him to not make that same mistake again.

I agree. He's the wild card in the whole bunch. If he comes in ready to steam roll he could be a very good back for us. I'm 100% okay with a Dwyer and Redman combo with Batch and Rainey sprinkled in here and there. I liked the Rainey pick because we have Hailey. He knows how to use a back like Rainey. Hell Batch could be a huge surprise if he's able to build on what he started last training camp.

NorCal-Steeler
04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I'd be disapointed if anyone but Redman starts. The man is a beast, he may not have the homerun speed but he refuses to go down.

Crash
04-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Dwyer in college looked a lot like 2001 Jerome Bettis before he got hurt: Some size, but still had enough speed to go with the power.

He's the wild card as Snatch said, hopefully he realizes what a chance he actually has here.

TD386Steel
04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Dwyer in college looked a lot like 2001 Jerome Bettis before he got hurt: Some size, but still had enough speed to go with the power.

He's the wild card as Snatch said, hopefully he realizes what a chance he actually has here.

I agree. I hope he comes into camp ready to play. He has to know that Mendenhall wont be ready and that this is his chance. He need to get that playbook and never put it down, unless he's working out!!! C'mon Dwyer!!!

feltdizz
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I'd be disapointed if anyone but Redman starts. The man is a beast, he may not have the homerun speed but he refuses to go down.

Yep... a lot of people hoping players return to their college glory days but I'm cool wit the Bowie State guy who broke off a nice run in a SB and had 127 on 17 touches in last years playoffs

Shoe
04-30-2012, 10:02 PM

I totally agree. In fact, I can't see how he isn't the prohibitive front-runner (to Clay, Dwyer). Dwyer is a mirage IMO. He is a poor man's Najeh Davenport. He is fine in a secondary role, but I don't think he has the make-up of a starter on your team.

As to the original question, ("Great draft, but who's runnin the ball?"), obviously I think it's a non-issue. I genuinely have faith in Redman.

pfelix73
04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
I want to see Redman get the nod too, but maybe once we get closer to training camp and if Mendenhall is obviously headed to the PUP list, they would bring in one of the FA's that are out there. They were saying that NE might do that.... So why not us..Especially if the prices of these FA's drop, it wouldn't be too hard on the cap.