PDA

View Full Version : Counting chickens - remembering 2008

aggiebones
04-30-2012, 02:38 PM
1 - Mendy - Fell to us, many talents. Steal of Draft. For the most part lived up, but now mostly done.

2 - Sweed - "I can't believe he fell to us" was the general cry after draft day.
-Handless WR who played in an offense with a QB that shoveled his passes. Useless

3 - Bruce davis - Many didn't like and they were correct. But others gave Steelers a pass since they know how to develop LBs.
-Useless. At least they dumped him early.

4 - Tony Hills - Another dropping horn. Had great potential since he used to play TE. Future LT.
-Really just a slow TE due to torn knee ligaments. Useless....and kept for 4 years.

5 - Dennis Dixon - 'Would have been a 1st rounder had he not torn knee ligaments.' Trade bait for the future at least.
-Never did anything for us, wasn't trade able and lost out in Baltimore backup QB competition to a painter.

6 - Mike Humpal - ST ace
-not so special

7 - Ryan Mundy - backup S and ST guy.
-did as much as expected from a 7th rounder. Was sadly our best pick. And he was a big part of why we lost in the playoffs. Big dropoff from Clark to Mundy.

MOST thought this was a great draft. No, we didn't all agree on all of them. But they seemed to really get good value on some of these picks. The general draft day grade was an A- by the 'experts.

So this gets us to today. I loved alot of this draft, BUT it could fall apart completely. DeCastro is legit, but could be the linchpin of the draft. Meaning if he doesn't survive to start, people could lose their jobs.

Adams is a risk for personal reasons. Spence might be too small and could get trampled or just not fit where we put him. Ta'amu (who I loved) could eat himself out of the league in weeks. Rainey has issues. The rest are 7th rounders.

So beware when counting these chickens. Risk with all except Decastro. We can survive this draft being a bust, but we better nail the next 3 if we did. We have enough LBs for now. The OL can function as is for another season. We won't be a SB team, but we could survive.

Not a debby downer, as I love this draft, but I just remember those loving 2008 with many of the same words.

squidkid
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
how dare you speak the truth ......:D

Slapstick
04-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Hopefully, the Steelers learned some lessons from that 2008 draft...

Dee Dub
04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I am willing to bet that DeCastro and Adams were graded higher than Mendenhall and Sweed on the Steelers draft board. Much higher. And as a result I think that makes a huge difference.

Sugar
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I guess I've always felt that there was no such thing as a "can't miss" draft pick. While it's cool that we got the guys we did, the proof in the pudding has always been in the eating.

Djfan
04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Meh!! You're just a negative Nancy. I love that phrase because my ex-wife's name is Nancy.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Meh!! You're just a negative Nancy. I love that phrase because my ex-wife's name is Nancy.

If your ex-wife is a Negative Nancy, is your current wife a Debbie Downer? :D

MeetJoeGreene
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I have similar thoughts in my (I am worried thread).

And I like calling chadman a negative "Nancy" whenever I can...:D.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I have similar thoughts in my (I am worried thread).

And I like calling chadman a negative "Nancy" whenever I can...:D.

We all know that everyone in Australia is named either Bruce or Sheila. Chadman just flows better than Bruceman, and "Negative Sheila" just doesn't work at all. ;)

Snatch98
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
We addressed 4 very specific needs with players graded higher than their draft position with each of our first 4 picks. I'm not sure why anyone would even try to spin this draft in a potentially negative direction. I suppose for the sake of argument.

papillon
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
We addressed 4 very specific needs with players graded higher than their draft position with each of our first 4 picks. I'm not sure why anyone would even try to spin this draft in a potentially negative direction. I suppose for the sake of argument.

Because in 4 years we could be reminiscing about how great this draft was only to find that Adams couldn't manage his problems, Ta'amu never lived up to his potential, Spence was too small to play ILB in the 3-4 and Decastro while good never quite made it to elite. Hell, they haven't even had pads on yet in the Southside facility who knows what will happen, injuries, personal problems, lack of skill, etc all could lead to a so-so draft or they could be All-pros and HOFers.

It looks good right now, but until they put pads pn and get through training camp without being injured and are contributing in some fashion it's best to have some guarded optimism about the draft.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2012, 04:21 PM
our 2006 draft also was not good:

2006 DRAFT PICKS

1. Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

2. Anthony Smith, S, Syracuse - 3rd Round

3. Willie Reid, WR/RS, Florida State - 3rd Round

4. Willie Colon, G, Hofstra - 4th Round

5. Orien Harris, DT, Miami - 4th Round

6. Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green - 5th Round

7. Charles Davis, TE, Purdue - 5th Round

8. Marvin Phillip, C, California - 6th Round

9. Cedric Humes, RB, Virginia Tech - 7th Round

phillyesq
04-30-2012, 04:58 PM
our 2006 draft also was not good:

2006 DRAFT PICKS

1. Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

2. Anthony Smith, S, Syracuse - 3rd Round

3. Willie Reid, WR/RS, Florida State - 3rd Round

4. Willie Colon, G, Hofstra - 4th Round

5. Orien Harris, DT, Miami - 4th Round

6. Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green - 5th Round

7. Charles Davis, TE, Purdue - 5th Round

8. Marvin Phillip, C, California - 6th Round

9. Cedric Humes, RB, Virginia Tech - 7th Round

I remember many of us (myself included) being excited by Anthony Smith, Willie Reid and Orien Harris. Santonio did turn out to be a turd, but it's difficult to complain too much about a draft that gave us a SB MVP (who was traded for a pick that ended up turning into Antonio Brown) and a starting, if oft-injured, RT.

Djfan
04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
If your ex-wife is a Negative Nancy, is your current wife a Debbie Downer? :D

Mrs. Fan is anything but that. She is fun, alive, energetic, and pretty good looking, quite honestly.

Snatch98
04-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Because in 4 years we could be reminiscing about how great this draft was only to find that Adams couldn't manage his problems, Ta'amu never lived up to his potential, Spence was too small to play ILB in the 3-4 and Decastro while good never quite made it to elite. Hell, they haven't even had pads on yet in the Southside facility who knows what will happen, injuries, personal problems, lack of skill, etc all could lead to a so-so draft or they could be All-pros and HOFers.

It looks good right now, but until they put pads pn and get through training camp without being injured and are contributing in some fashion it's best to have some guarded optimism about the draft.

Pappy

I just don't see ANY reason right now to be negative about our haul. You are absolutely correct in that we have absolutely no idea what to expect outside of what our front office thinks and the tape shows. All I'm saying is that every player we drafted this year shows the good on tape and the media won't stop drooling over our selections. It was a VERY good draft.

feltdizz
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
We had every reason to be excited about getting Mendenhall and Sweed... when you look at college tapes they were awesome. The NFL has a way of exposing college phenoms. ..

Nothing wrong with being excited or cautious...

Shoe
04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I never considered the 08 draft any sort of coup. Mendenhall I thought at the time, was a good value pick. And it's pretty much turned out to be (this last injury notwithstanding). I know I didn't think of it as I do the DeCastro pick (I think DeCastro is a coup.)

I knew Sweed was probably a mirage, to all the folks who thought we got the next Roy Williams (no great shakes himself... but at the time, thought to be a star in the making). I knew his fall (i.e. the fall of Alshon Jeffery) was due to a fundamental flaw in his game that would make him struggle at the pro level.

I'll be honest, and say that I thought Bruce Davis would be another in the lineage. I was grossly wrong on that obviously.

Hills was a nobody I thought, and I was right.

This draft is going to be much the same way. Lots of swings, lots of misses, some hits. I'm on record in saying I'm as excited with the DeCastro pick as I was on Polamalu. I was also loved the Casey Hampton pick. I was warm on the Kendall Simmons pick. I liked the Heath Miller pick. Hood was lukewarm at best. Same with Cam. (I actually think I'm right on when it comes to our #1's).

I've compared Adams to big, talented dummies of the past, so I guess I'll stand by that (i.e. he'll be a bust). Since he's now on the team, I'll obvously hope I'm wrong.

Spence is interesting. His highlight package was eye-popping, but unless we switch to a 4-3 scheme, I have a hard time seeing where he fits.

Ta'amu I view with some skepticism. I'm hopeful; let's just put it that way.

Bottom line: I'm positive on DeCastro. Everyone else is a normal draft as far as I'm concerned.

Snatch98
04-30-2012, 07:26 PM
We had every reason to be excited about getting Mendenhall and Sweed... when you look at college tapes they were awesome. The NFL has a way of exposing college phenoms. ..

Nothing wrong with being excited or cautious...

I'm not hard up on Mendenhall and still believe he has all the tools to be an elite back in the NFL. He carried our team during the Ben suspension and with our revamped o-line he could be ridiculous. I just hope he returns from injury without a hitch. Arians was his biggest detriment.

BURGH86STEEL
04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
People should always curb their enthusiasm until players show what they can do in the NFL.

Jigawatts
04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Maybe the first two picks from this class will make the first pick of '08 look a little better? Once he's returns to action Mendenhall might have a chance of getting out of the backfield before getting hit.

D Rock
04-30-2012, 10:34 PM
why bother curbing our enthusiasm? We are fans...being enthusiastic is what we do best.

aggiebones
04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Has any team had great success with their first 4 picks of a draft??

I'm drunk now, so I can't defend ,myself in a fight of words.

Here we go Steelers. Here we go!

Limas Sweed is a gimp.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Limas Sweed is a gimp.

that's an insult to all of the gimps in this world...:D

Steelerphile
05-01-2012, 05:50 AM
I see what aggiebones is saying. The exuberance for these players will wear off and it won't take long. The only one who might become bulletproof is DeCastro, since he plays in the interior line, which isn't a high profile position anyway. Also, he just seems like a beast and clearly better than who is already there. But the rest will come under attack, and I dare say there will be some who will become targets of actual hatred.

phillyesq
05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I certainly understand why some caution is in order, but I do think this is different from 2008 in a few different ways.

1) I think almost everybody thought Mendenhall would be the first back off the board and that he would go in the top 15. Running back was not viewed as a huge need at the time, and perhaps it is possible that he was highly rated without being truly scrutinized. DeCastro was one of Colbert's 7-10 sure fire first rounders, and the fact that the Steelers investigated a trade up for him leads me to believe that they put him through the usual scrutiny. Also, guard is a position that is not as highly valued through the league; in 2008, RBs were viewed as a bit less interchangeable than they are today.

2) Limas Sweed was a big WR at the time Ben was clamoring for a big WR, and perhaps the Steelers reached a bit. Adams has a very high ceiling and a very low floor. He could turn out either way, but he is one of many in a long line of picks that I didn't want for one reason or another, all of whom have turned out well. To avoid repeating myself:

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/37116-Philly-s-First-Round-Prediction

I think Adams shows up motivated to prove himself to the team he rooted for his entire life.

3) Many preferred Cliff Avril to Davis, but I'll acknowledge optimism for Davis after the pick, even though it was viewed as a bit of a reach. Difference with Spence is that he is intense. Davis didn't like contact. I think Spence, at worst, becomes a special teams standout. Davis couldn't even make it onto special teams, the first of many red flags.

4) Hills dropped due to injury and was viewed as a major project with a lot of flaws. Ta'amu has weight issues, and he may stink this year, but he really looks like a guy whose size and strength will allow him to occupy blockers and fit in as Casey's heir apparent.

5) Dixon had all the potential upside, etc. and fell because of the knee injury. I was hoping that he would at least be future trade bait, but this certainly had Omar Jacobs/Tee Martin potential. Rainey is an explosive player selected to fit an specific role. He has some issues, but the fifth is still the perfect time for a role player.

6-7) Humpal and Mundy. Some guys loved Mundy because he was local. Humpal didn't really seem to have the measurables from what I remember and was kind of a curious pick. Clemons has ability but plenty of risk. Paulson lacks speed and isn't a great blocker, but is supposed to be somewhat versatile. May not make the team, or he may replace David Johnson. Who knows. I think Beachum's upside is Trai Essex, and Frederick, the corner, may get cut in camp, or may end up as a special teams guy and backup nickel.

The bottom line for me is that the Steelers really seemed to do their due diligence on these guys, unlike the first two in 2008. There were no real head scratchers except maybe Spence, and the guys they took later seemed to be guys that they evaluated well. I'm cautiously optimistic, but much more optimistic about this entire class than I was the 2008 class.

Slapstick
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Mendenhall, barring the injuries, was a good pick...3,000+ yards, 4.1 career YpC and 29 TDs isn't bad considering the less than stellar o-line play since his rookie year...

Sweed wasn't a reach, but he was a bust...

Bad drafts happen...I just don't think 2012 is one of those...