PDA

View Full Version : If Decastro starts the season at RG

toddjammin
04-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Do we keep Legursky at LG or move Foster over to that spot?

SteelCrazy
04-29-2012, 08:46 AM
hmmmm, good question. I love Legs, but he leaves a lot to be desired in the passing game. He is pretty good in the run game tho. I think Foster is better when it comes to overall, but just because of Legs weakness in pass protection.

phillyesq
04-29-2012, 09:35 AM
I think that Legursky fits better as a swing backup on gamebody, and Foster's size is a nice compliment next to Pouncey. I'd lean towards Foster as the starter.

aggiebones
04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Yes, Legs moves to where he belongs as a backup to multiple spots. But don't worry, he'll still be getting pay checks for years.

Discipline of Steel
04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I dont care as long as it results in Essux move off the roster.

Crash
04-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Adams/Foster/Pouncey/DeCastro/Gilbert

Give them their playbooks, and get out of their way.

JPbucco
04-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Colon would play G over Foster...

Crash
04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Why? He's played one half of football in 2 years. Keep him as the backup/swingman at OT. Keep Lekursky as the backup for center and guard.

I like Foster, he does a lot of extra work that you only see when you re-watch games.

Dee Dub
04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Why? He's played one half of football in 2 years. Keep him as the backup/swingman at OT. Keep Lekursky as the backup for center and guard.

I like Foster, he does a lot of extra work that you only see when you re-watch games.

Buchette in the Post-Gazette alluded that this very well could be the line next year...

Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

But my thing is this, Ramon Foster has been pretty descent. Why wont he get better with better O-lineman around him?

Steelers O-line coach (Kugler), said he preverse players to play their natural position and not moving players around. So with that said why put Colon in at guard?

I would prefer...

Adams--DeCastro--Pouncey--Foster--Gilbert

Shawn
04-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Buchette in the Post-Gazette alluded that this very well could be the line next year...

But my thing is this, Ramon Foster has been pretty descent. Why wont he get better with better O-lineman around him?

Steelers O-line coach (Kugler), said he preverse players to play their natural position and not moving players around. So with that said why put Colon in at guard?

I would prefer...

Yet when I said that should be the line up...I was called crazy.

Snatch98
04-29-2012, 02:05 PM

I would prefer...

I would assume that Kugler meant not moving guys around throughout a season. As in if Colon plays LG he stays at LG for the duration of the season unless injury strikes again. If Colon is healthy I'd rather he be in there over Foster.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-29-2012, 02:48 PM
More Colon to G talk I see. He has never even practiced there for all we know. He has zero experience as a G, is questionable at best as a T, and can't get healthy enough to even get on the field......but he is our starting guard next year.

Hey, if it doesn't pan out then maybe Ziggy could start at guard and move Heyward to LE. Or see if Duce Staley would like to come back and start at guard for us. After a few years retirement he probably has the size of Colon and he already has enough sideline experience as well.

Dee Dub
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I would assume that Kugler meant not moving guys around throughout a season. As in if Colon plays LG he stays at LG for the duration of the season unless injury strikes again. If Colon is healthy I'd rather he be in there over Foster.

Did Foster not improve last year? With better players around him why wouldnt he get even better?

And has not Colon been unreliable physically the past two years? Why wouldnt he continue to be?

I would play the percentages on this.

NJ-STEELER
04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
More Colon to G talk I see. He has never even practiced there for all we know. He has zero experience as a G, is questionable at best as a T, and can't get healthy enough to even get on the field......but he is our starting guard next year.

while you may be right with that. how many games or how much practice has gilbert had as a LT (handful of games in college) and yet, he was penciled in as the starter there before the draft

Slapstick
04-29-2012, 04:20 PM
And has not Colon been unreliable physically the past two years? Why wouldnt he continue to be?

Colon had two freaky, unrelated injuries the past two years...that is more misfortune than physical unreliability...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
It's not too unreasonable to think that Colon might soon be the third best tackle on the roster...If he isn't good enough to start at guard, well, it might be time to see if there's any trade interest, because that's a pretty big salary for a reserve OLman.

Shawn
04-29-2012, 05:58 PM
I believe the Steelers think more of Colon than do fans. Their actions speak to such.

Flasteel
04-29-2012, 06:21 PM
We all just need to understand that the best 5 guys are going to be determined in camp and the only position where there is any certainty is center. I would love to see what the organization is thinking with Colon. I would practically garantee he will get a look at guard....especially if Adams looks like he is ready to start at either tackle spot.

TD386Steel
04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I like Adams/Colon/Pouncey/DeCastro/Gilbert. I really doesnt matter to me which side Adams starts on. If Adams struggles with the pass rush move him to the right side.

Shoe
04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Adams/Foster/Pouncey/DeCastro/Gilbert

Give them their playbooks, and get out of their way.

Yeah, let's feed Adams and his entitled, laid-back attitude. They need to treat this guy like he's an undrafted FA. Any PT he gets, he has to work for. Handing him the starting job would only ensure that he fall right back into his, "I can smoke dope a couple weeks before the Combine" mentality.

As said, the line I think is best for 2012 is:
Colon (hopefully he holds up)
DeCastro
Pouncey
Foster
Gilbert

BTW, I know they would never do this, but would putting Legs at C change anyone's opinion?
Colon
DeCastro
Legursky
Pouncey
Gilbert

Crash
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I said move Pouncey to guard a long time ago if Legursky is going to play at all.

If Adams wins the job, he plays, period.

Chadman
04-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Yet when I said that should be the line up...I was called crazy.

That's not why we call you crazy Shawn..... :p

As for Adams starting/not starting- Chadman hopes the reason he does or does not start is due to his readiness to play, not some plan to 'show the upstart' that you can't get away with acting like a goof. If he's the best option at LT, play him. If he smokes dope & gets suspended, cut him. But don't hold him back from helping the team because you want to make an example of him.

And as for Colon not starting- they won't have their highest paid OL guy as a swing OT. If he's not a starting OT, he's an OG. Or Gilbert goes to OG. Why is it that the Steelers preach 'position flexibility', yet we are convinced Colon can only play OT? Best 5 play.

Crash
04-29-2012, 10:50 PM
This is the same organization who tagged Max Starks only to see him sitting on the bench as a backup.

I don't think Tomlin cares what his OLs are being paid.

SteelBucks
04-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I have not read this whole thread but don't be surprised if Colon moves to Guard with Gilbert and Adams as the bookends. I realize jobs need to be won but the best five play…period.

It also wouldn't shock me if Starks is resigned when healthy as an insurance policy. Kind of a swing OT in case Adams or Gilbert struggle.