PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades So Far

flippy
04-28-2012, 01:40 AM
1. Decastro - A++++++++++++++++++++++ - Somehow he fell in our laps. We did the right thing and took him. But gotta give the extra +'s cause other silly GMs passed on him. Thank you to the 23 teams that passed.

2. Adams - C - He's got a LT body, but worries me he'll end up being another Trai Essex. I was gonna give him a D, but kudos for stepping up and visiting the team and getting back on the draft board. Seems the kid might have a little drive beyond his lackluster on field performance I've seen. Can he put in the work to make it work? This pick was a dice roll.

3. Spence - A+ - This kid is a highlight reel. So productive. Such a hustler. He's gonna be a perfect fit for us to handle the new passing era of the NFL. This kid reminds me of the way Larry Foote played in college but with much more athleticism. Both are smallish, but have uncanny instincts on the field. Spence has a different game speed than Foote. And I've always thought if Foote only had size or speed, he'd be the perfect LB. Spence might be what I've always wanted in Foote. Just that little extra athleticism.

Snatch98
04-28-2012, 01:43 AM
1. Decastro - A++++++++++++++++++++++ - Somehow he fell in our laps. We did the right thing and took him. But gotta give the extra +'s cause other silly GMs passed on him. Thank you to the 23 teams that passed.

2. Adams - C - He's got a LT body, but worries me he'll end up being another Trai Essex. I was gonna give him a D, but kudos for stepping up and visiting the team and getting back on the draft board. Seems the kid might have a little drive beyond his lackluster on field performance I've seen. Can he put in the work to make it work? This pick was a dice roll.

3. Spence - A+ - This kid is a highlight reel. So productive. Such a hustler. He's gonna be a perfect fit for us to handle the new passing era of the NFL. This kid reminds me of the way Larry Foote played in college but with much more athleticism. Both are smallish, but have uncanny instincts on the field. Spence has a different game speed than Foote. And I've always thought if Foote only had size or speed, he'd be the perfect LB. Spence might be what I've always wanted in Foote. Just that little extra athleticism.

I wasn't on the Adams wagon predraft but I'm still trying to figure out why people are having such a hard time getting behind the pick. He's proven he's able to get past the off field "issues" and he had a first round grade from A LOT of outlets. Trai Essex NEVER had a first round grade so it's not a fair comparison.

flippy
04-28-2012, 01:47 AM
I think the Steelers said they had a first round grade on Trai. I really don't mind the off field stuff with Adams. These guys are young. No big deal really. I'm ok giving a young guy a second chance. I just don't see the on field potential that others are seeing.

Snatch98
04-28-2012, 01:50 AM
I think the Steelers said they had a first round grade on Trai. I really don't mind the off field stuff with Adams. These guys are young. No big deal really. I'm ok giving a young guy a second chance. I just don't see the on field potential that others are seeing.

Casserly on NFL network not long ago said he was the "best value" in the second round.

flippy
04-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Casserly on NFL network not long ago said he was the "best value" in the second round.

I feel a bit better the more positive I hear. I've only seen him a couple times. And was never overly impressed. Hopefully some that have seen more of him are right and I'll gladly be wrong.

He looks like he has the right build and decent feet. And I can't pinpoint what I thought was lacking. Maybe will, heart, strength, desire? I guess he looked to me like a guy that's naturally gifted and doesn't have to work hard and does the minimum to get by.

Hope Casserly is right. Plus lining him up next to a Decastro could make his job a piece of cake.

Shawn
04-28-2012, 02:02 AM

Then it must be true.

Snatch98
04-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Then it must be true.

Not the point. The guy used to be a GM and several other analysts have pointed out our draft specifically. Kurt Warner, Billick being two of the most recent I've seen since getting home from being out a bit. Adams in the second round was tremendous value. Hell he was one of the few that Mayock mentioned having the feet and athleticism to play left tackle. Most the others he had pegged as guards or right tackles.

Shoe
04-28-2012, 02:32 AM
I wasn't on the Adams wagon predraft but I'm still trying to figure out why people are having such a hard time getting behind the pick. He's proven he's able to get past the off field "issues" and he had a first round grade from A LOT of outlets.

How has he proven that he's beyond his off field troubles? All he's shown is that he can pulled the wool over the Steeler brass' eyes. Not saying he's not sincere; just saying that all it is is words to this point. He hasn't proven a thing.

Snatch98
04-28-2012, 04:08 AM
How has he proven that he's beyond his off field troubles? All he's shown is that he can pulled the wool over the Steeler brass' eyes. Not saying he's not sincere; just saying that all it is is words to this point. He hasn't proven a thing.

He's proven he's willing to put forth the effort to get back in the good graces of the Steelers brass you seem to doubt with this one. His off the field "troubles" aren't really "troubles" in my opinion either. One was the BS "tattoo gate" and the other is weed. Marvel Smith also had the "weed bug" and he turned out just fine when he anchored the left side of our line before his back quit on him. I'm not worried about Mike Adams and apparently the Steelers aren't either. A TON! of value in round 2, much like Woodley which everyone wanted to doubt when we drafted him in the 2nd.

NorthCoast
04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
apparently Adams was wiling to forfeit his signing bonus for a year and a half if a team would sign him. shows at least some motivation to correct past failings. it is a risky pick but not Kugs is the man to coach him up.

8467thekraken
04-28-2012, 09:32 AM
This draft has been unreal.

Never thought the O-line would get fixed the way it did.

Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey-Foster-Adams.

Just can't stop salivating on my self.

This Spence kid looks to at least have a shot to make the pract. squad. Hopefully he can stick there for a bit and secure a spot later.

Just another superb job by the FO!

Can't wait to see the booty from day 3.

Here We Go!!!!

kindlecatsb'ng
04-28-2012, 09:35 AM
apparently Adams was wiling to forfeit his signing bonus for a year and a half if a team would sign him. shows at least some motivation to correct past failings. it is a risky pick but not Kugs is the man to coach him up.

NOTES -- Metz disputed an ESPN report that he and Adams offered to postpone a signing bonus for a year and a half to prove he could remain drug free. ... Per post gazette article

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2012, 09:44 AM

i like the fact he insisted on meeting with the steelers brass after the news of his fialed drug test.

colbert told him he was off their board and he convinced them to take a look at him

thats gotta say something

Shawn
04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Not the point. The guy used to be a GM and several other analysts have pointed out our draft specifically. Kurt Warner, Billick being two of the most recent I've seen since getting home from being out a bit. Adams in the second round was tremendous value. Hell he was one of the few that Mayock mentioned having the feet and athleticism to play left tackle. Most the others he had pegged as guards or right tackles.

Snatch you don't have to an expert to look at some game film and watch Adams getting abused over and over again. This isn't rocket science. Experts fell in love with his measureables...period. It wasn't based on consistent play. You guys will see what I'm talking about soon enough.

Shawn
04-28-2012, 10:06 AM
i like the fact he insisted on meeting with the steelers brass after the news of his fialed drug test.

colbert told him he was off their board and he convinced them to take a look at him

thats gotta say something

Yes, it says...mike tried to get away with smoking pot before the combine...thought it was out of his system and was caught. He did damage control.

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2012, 10:32 AM
yeah

but that doesnt mean the steelers had to buy it.

something went on in that meeting to change their minds and put him back on their board

NorCal-Steeler
04-28-2012, 11:35 AM
The fact that he said he always wanted to be a steeler means alot to me. To be off our board and his desire to not only get back on it but to be selected shows a desire to me. Hopefully he has the talent to be a steeler. These 1st two picks will make our whole team better,improve our run game and allow Miller to run more routs. Have to love what the steelers are doing this off season with the removal of Arians the hireing of Haley and fixing of the line.

ramblinjim
04-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Shawn - did you have this guy as a "hold your nose and take him" first rounder at some point in your mock drafts? I totally respect your draft knowledge (much better than mine) and definitely your observations on OSU talent but I'm hoping to un-wrap a good cigar with you at some point in the next two years with us having one of the baddest oline's in the league.

birtikidis
04-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I think it was jay glazer via twitter who reported that Adams agent said that that speculation was "not true"

birtikidis
04-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Pertaining to the signing bonus

birtikidis
04-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Oops it was chris mortenson. Reading it right now