Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
please remove hood.

he has done nothing.

Oviedo
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
please remove hood.

he has done nothing.

Disagree as usual. He has been solid playing a thankless position in LeBeau's scheme which under utilizes DL.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2012, 11:41 PM
lol.

he has been mr. invisible.

terrible fit as 34 DE, not really his fault, i guess.

but blame lebeau, per the usual.

pittpete
04-28-2012, 12:11 AM
In all fairness Kiesel did squat his first few years

Chadman
04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
In all fairness Kiesel did squat his first few years

Keisel did less than Hood, to be honest. In fact- can anyone name a Steeler DE that has done more than Hood in his first 3 seasons over the last 20 years?

Shoe
04-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Keisel did less than Hood, to be honest. In fact- can anyone name a Steeler DE that has done more than Hood in his first 3 seasons over the last 20 years?

I did research this in the past, and I know Aaron Smith made a significant impact by the end of his 3rd year. Truth be told, we haven't really drafted guys to fill this role, at least that I can remember. Donald Evans, Ray Seals, Kimo, Nolan Harrison...

I'm with Eddie. You expect a first-rounder to do more than be a body... I still have hope though, that he'll emerge this year into a stud. As I type that, I realize how much of a long-shot that is. I think even his supporters would agree with that. (Guys typically don't wake up and start dominating in their 4th year.)

Steelerphile
04-28-2012, 04:54 AM

Hood is very strong and takes on blockers, neutralizes them and the linebackers clean up. I Steelers have a top-defense and Hood plays a significant role. He makes an occasional individual play. I think he has done his job well thus far. I expect him to get better in the next few years. Guys who stray outside of the defense and try to make a lot of indiviidual plays can hurt more than they help. Hood is very cognizant of that, so he played in a constrained way.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Wonder what it will look like if Hood goes to NT with Heyward & Keisel as his wingmen.

MeetJoeGreene
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Wonder what it will look like if Hood goes to NT with Heyward & Keisel as his wingmen.

That could be why they have not yet targeted a NT in this draft.. I kind of expected it in the 3rd. If no NT in the 4th, then the FO must have another plan (e.g. Hood) or be really happy w/ Mclendon

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
dp...........

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2012, 09:34 AM

difference is keisel was a 7th rounder. hood is a 1st. you expect 1st rounders to make a bigger/quicker contribution

Chadman
04-28-2012, 11:27 AM
The argument of which round a 3-4 DE is drafted in is becoming more & more a moot point every year.

More teams play 3-4 Defense now than they did 10 years ago. The demand for a Brett Keisel was so low, he was picked in Round 7. In 2012, high 2nd Round selection Derek Wolfe is essentially Brett Keisel without a beard.

That Hood was selected in Round 1 makes little difference to the fact he couldn't beat out entrenched, long term starting DE's in Aaron Smith & Brett Keisel in his first 3 years. Hood has become a solid part of a rotation on a successful DL. That he doesn't stand out could be a good thing- most times a 3-4 Steeler DL stands out, it's because he's getting owned.

As for Hood to NT- he's really a 1-Gap defender, so doesn't really fit 3-4 NT as he'll only really attack between the OC & OG, where the Steelers will want a 0 Technique, 2-Gap type...Josh Chapman anyone?