PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams

birtikidis
04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Espn didn't show highlights of Adams (unless I missed it). Anyone have them?

toddjammin
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Here's some from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1jdYB-9Mlo

birtikidis
04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
What did they film that with a cell phone from '95?

Flasteel
04-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Here's some from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1jdYB-9Mlo

Dude...that's footage from high school. At least he finished most of his blocks with a nasty attitude. I saw him hold once too though. :D

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
classic boom or bust pick.

my feeling is that the steelers have alot of "guys" like hood, worilds, k. lewis, etc. etc. but do they have many potential difference makers? I dont think they do. or at least not enough to win a SB, IMO.

you need those type guys, so i can live with this pick in the 2nd.

toddjammin
04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I was listening to the fan today and Jim Wexell said the Steelers compare Mike Adams to Flozell Adams. If Mike Adams can play as well as Flozell, Ill be happy.

steelz09
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
i would have hated the adams pick in the 1st. I can understand the value of this pick in the 2nd.

costanza2k1
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Let's not forget the same issue when we drafted Marvel Smith...that worked out, this may too

Shoe
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
classic boom or bust pick.

my feeling is that the steelers have alot of "guys" like hood, worilds, k. lewis, etc. etc. but do they have many potential difference makers? I dont think they do. or at least not enough to win a SB, IMO.

you need those type guys, so i can live with this pick in the 2nd.

That's a good point actually (I'm trying to find the good in it.)
You're right in that we have tons of "character" guys with limited upsides, and that environment may help this guy stay focused and in line.

Ghost
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
I could have sworn I read somewhere the Steelers had checked into some of the rumors about suppossed character issues (including the pot test at the combine) and came away with no issues. Obviously they were not deterred.

SteelBucks
04-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I watched him for four years. Dominating when motivated.

grotonsteel
04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Wrong thread..

Decleater
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
First, I'm happy we're addressing the O-line. Second, Adams is a solid pick as long as he stays away from the medical marijuana. ;)

Shawn
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I watched him for four years. Dominating when motivated.

And how often was that? I mainly remember him getting used like a turnstile.

Adams has as much natural talent as any OLman in this draft. But, he did nothing but get in trouble and disappoint. I don't believe he loves football, and I don't believe he should be allowed to carry Flozell's jock strap.

Eddie said classic boom or bust...and that is dead on. He has a lot to prove before I will be on board with this pick even in the second. I cant deny his talent, and maybe just maybe the Steelers can light that fire.

Shawn
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I could have sworn I read somewhere the Steelers had checked into some of the rumors about suppossed character issues (including the pot test at the combine) and came away with no issues. Obviously they were not deterred.

He was suspended for knuckleheadedness. Then he tests positive for pot at the combine...again like a knucklehead. There are no signs this guy takes the game seriously. There are no signs he has grown up. And I bet I have seen more of Adams than any Steeler scout. Comparing him to Flozell is a joke. Who in the heck said that?

Crash
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Mayock

"Adams would've been a first-round pick had he not failed the drug test at the combine. He's got left-tackle feet. There's some off-the-field issues, but he's a gifted left tackle. Now with him and David DeCastro in the first round, this is a completely different offensive line."

Shoe
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
He was suspended for knuckleheadedness. Then he tests positive for pot at the combine...again like a knucklehead. There are no signs this guy takes the game seriously. There are no signs he has grown up. And I bet I have seen more of Adams than any Steeler scout. Comparing him to Flozell is a joke. Who in the heck said that?

FLOZELL ADAMS? That is truly pie in the sky if you ask me.

I've made the comparison of Mike Adams, to Winston Justice of USC. And for those who remember him, Trezelle Jenkins from Michigan. Both those guys were just like Adams in stature, and both snuck into the end of Rd 1 due to their "physical ability". However, both were SOFT as Charmin, and both fizzled out in the pros... actually, fizzle isn't a correct term, because that would indicate they did something.

Both those guys lacked the fire, the competitive, and the mental wherewithall to succeed in the NFL. I think Adams is just like them.

Shawn
04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
What does Maylock base that opinion on? An average half of a senior year and a good senior bowl?

Ghost
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Everyone settle down...I'm sure he'll be just as productive as the other 2nd round steals, A. Jackson and L. Sweed....

SteelBucks
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Adams has as much natural talent as any OLman in this draft.

And this is why he was taken #56 overall. Come on Shawn, I know you don't like the kid, but this is great value in the 2nd round.

Shawn
04-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Great value? Not in my book. I would rather have a guy with ok talent but heart and motor over a block head with unreal talent and no motivation to be anything other than serviceable.

Dee Dub
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
But Shawn you have to admit at #56 this could be great value. And if I am not mistaken they do a hair sample drug text. And THC can be in your system for like 10 years. It doesnt mean he recently got high or did at or near the combine. I could be wrong.

Oviedo
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Great value. Hope he can get his head right and be an adult going forward. Love the OL potential. Haley will look like a hero because the biggest liabilities we had on offense are now on the bench...Foster and Legursky.

Steelgal
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Per Kaboly tweets. Adams is on conference call now. Steelers are only team Adams called for a face to face interview. Steelers are the only team he reached ot to after learning of his positive drug test from combine. Adams about being off the board, for him that was really hard to deal with. I wanted to go to Steelers since Day 1. Grew up in Farrell and was always a Steeler fan. "I believe I'm the best tackle in the draft". some of the stuff so far.

Dee Dub
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Per Kaboly tweets. Adams is on conference call now. Steelers are only team Adams called for a face to face interview. Steelers are the only team he reached ot to after learning of his positive drug test from combine. Adams about being off the board, for him that was really hard to deal with. I wanted to go to Steelers since Day 1. Grew up in Farrell and was always a Steeler fan. "I believe I'm the best tackle in the draft". some of the stuff so far.

Go prove it kid!

Sugar
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Wasn't Holmes also a Buckeye who grew up a Steelers fan and had a pot problem? Not saying that Adams will be as good for us as Santonio was, but I thought some of the similarities were interesting.

Shawn
04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Here is a sample of the beauty that is Adams. Let's watch him against Mercilus.

Adams is having a pretty good game...holding his own then a classic Adams sack at 1:18

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012madams.php

Adams again looking brilliant...really playing well then gives up his second sack at 3:17.
Gets face planted at 4:09.

Adams can run block, plays with power when he wants to play, but has way too many concentration sacks.

pittpete
04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh well, I guess the Steelers blew this pick than.
Hopefully next year we draft a better pick in the 2nd round:rolleyes:

Shawn
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't call it "blew" as I believe he is an upgrade over Foster and Legs. Move Colon to RG and Adams to RT and the OL improves. With that said, David was the better value by a long shot.

Chadman
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
As per Kevin Colbert

What did you do to investigate Mike’s situation and what did you find out?
In any prospect, we always get background information, which we did in Mike’s case. When players are subject to the testing at the combine, we don’t get those results until about a week before the actual draft. In Mike’s case, he sought us out once he was aware of the situation. He requested a face-to-face interview and meeting with myself, Art Rooney II and Coach Tomlin, and we obliged. When Mike came in, we told him he’s off our draft board. These are the stipulations that you have to accomplish for consideration for us to draft you, which the young man did. He met our criteria, he met our stipulations, and we were comfortable in taking him where we took him.

Can you be more specific about what you asked him to do?
No. All I can say is we told him you’re off our board, this is what you have to do to get back on it, and he met those criteria.

flippy
04-28-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm mixed on this pick. I'm more concerned that he looks like a project more than his off field issues.

Hopefully we can get Max back for a year and see if we can ease this kid in. Could be a nice pick in the 2nd. Or could just be a big Trai Essex.

Snatch98
04-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Take it or leave it with Casserly but it's late and I'm still awake watching NFL network. He just finished saying that Adams is the best value pick in the 2nd round. He then went on to say that he had a first round grade on him even with the "issues". I love the pick.

Crash
04-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Great value? Not in my book. I would rather have a guy with ok talent but heart and motor over a block head with unreal talent and no motivation to be anything other than serviceable.

You win with talent, not just with heart.

Shawn
04-28-2012, 01:59 AM
You win with talent that strives to excel...not strives to inhale.

Chadman
04-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Legursky is all heart & he just got replaced by DeCastro....

Adams gets a lot of 'hate' because he's not a finished product & acts pretty dumb. While those two things can be annoying- they are not deal breakers. Adams CAN play & he has the physical talents to be the 2nd best LT in this draft. Put some faith in the coaches to get him playing at or near his best level.

Shawn
04-28-2012, 02:09 AM
I think what some of you don't understand is having to put up with him as an OSU fan. Suspended two different seasons, drug charges, then a failed drug screen...turnstile play...all while being told he was one of the best talents to come out of high school. Can the guy play? Yup. Does he? He can't seem to put together more than a game or two without utterly frustrating me.

So I surely hope my years of waiting will pay off. I hope he is the next Orlando Pace. But, right now all I can think of is...wow I wish him and his drama went elsewhere.

Snatch98
04-28-2012, 02:32 AM
I think what some of you don't understand is having to put up with him as an OSU fan. Suspended two different seasons, drug charges, then a failed drug screen...turnstile play...all while being told he was one of the best talents to come out of high school. Can the guy play? Yup. Does he? He can't seem to put together more than a game or two without utterly frustrating me.

So I surely hope my years of waiting will pay off. I hope he is the next Orlando Pace. But, right now all I can think of is...wow I wish him and his drama went elsewhere.

I'd say driving to the Steelers facility to explain and completing everything that was asked of him to get back on the draft board is a step in the right direction. Also deferring his signing bonus for 18 months to ensure he remains clean. Also the one suspension i still say is complete and utter BS with "tattoo gate".

jj28west
04-28-2012, 06:18 AM

Damn, this is a buzz killer. I respect you assessment especially since you follow the team. I used to go right to youtube to see the highlights but now I go right to the college boards to get the real feel for the player.

Shawn
04-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Well JJ, there are Buckeye fans happy with this pick so I don't speak for the buckeye nation. From a talent perspective, I don't think Kalil is any better. Adams is raw unpolished talent. It's everything else I worry about. He is certainly an upgrade over Foster and Legs, so if the Steelers are willing to move Colon inside and Adams at RT it won't be awful.

IF the Steelers can get this guys head screwed on straight, and develop his talent, they will look like geniuses. But my concern is that he will bring drama to this team, and try to half azz his way through the NFL.

Slapstick
04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Adams is not nearly as bad as some make him out to be...

Getting a first round talent in the second round is a very good thing...it will all depend upon how this experience has helped him to mature...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I guess all I would suggest is we give him a little time to work under Kugs & Tomlin & Haley. Give him some time to work out beside Decastro, Pouncey, Legursky, and other hard workers. Young people do stupid things and it sounds like from the turmoil going on at OSU over the years that there wasn't much leadership out there to groom these kids into men, not just football players.

You got your second chance Mike Adams. A shot to play for your hometown team. Now go do your therapy, eat right, get your sleep, and get your butt in the weightroom!