PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro Starts Where?

Jooser
04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
So, DeCastro played right guard while at Stanford and it's his home position. So, where do you all think he projects with us? Our biggest need is LG with the release of Kemo. Given his talent and apparent polish, does he transition well right into the LG spot? Just thinking about it, and am curious what yinz think about it. I think he'll be fine at LG. So, does the starting lineup look like this? Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

You have a second rounder at LT, and two first rounders at LG and C. An instant improvement. If we somehow made the trade brought up previously by Ruthless and landed Glenn, our OL would go from laughing stock to BEAST!

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Get Essex out of there first of all. Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky are better than Essex.

Jooser
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Dangit, that's what I meant, sorry.

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

aggiebones
04-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

I think Tomlin will keep it wide open in camp. Do we still have JScott?
He is an option at RT as well with Colon sliding inside.

JScott - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

Need to find out if Colon can play T anyone. Been years since he hit anyone.

Jooser
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

That's very true. I don't think he gets a pass at all. What if we bring back Big Max at LT with DeCastro (LG), and then moved Colon/Foster the RG with Gilbert at RT? Not bad either.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM

I don't want Jon Scott anywhere near my starting lineup unless there have been multiple catastrophic injuries. Although he was passable in 2010, he was horrid in 2011.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2012, 04:22 PM
That's very true. I don't think he gets a pass at all. What if we bring back Big Max at LT with DeCastro (LG), and then moved Colon/Foster the RG with Gilbert at RT? Not bad either.

If Max's rehab goes well, if he doesn't balloon up in weight, if he'll accept another lowball contract, and if no one else signs him first (that's an awful lot of "if's"), then, yeah, I could see that.

focosteeler
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
the-site-which-shall-not-be-named says they are keeping him at RG

Flasteel
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
So, DeCastro played right guard while at Stanford and it's his home position. So, where do you all think he projects with us? Our biggest need is LG with the release of Kemo. Given his talent and apparent polish, does he transition well right into the LG spot? Just thinking about it, and am curious what yinz think about it. I think he'll be fine at LG. So, does the starting lineup look like this? Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

You have a second rounder at LT, and two first rounders at LG and C. An instant improvement. If we somehow made the trade brought up previously by Ruthless and landed Glenn, our OL would go from laughing stock to BEAST!

He has to be the LG...zero question in my mind. It's not the vacancy created by Kemo necessarily, it's the demands of the position and the skill set that DeCastro brings. The LG is the primary pulling guard when you consider that he's lined-up opposite the strong side most often. Most running plays go right, so it's the LG that has to pull. The LG is also the guy who lines up next to the LT, who generally draws the defense's bet pass rusher. He's got to be able to engage his man and be able to get off the block...especially if the LT gets beat on an inside move.
DeCastro has a lot of tools in his toolbox, but two of his greatest strengths are his footwork and ability to pull.I could have sworn I heard something about planning to keep him on the right side, but I see no way he doesn't move to LG.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2012, 04:29 PM
He has to be the LG...zero question. It's not the vacancy created by Kemo necissarily, it's the demands of the position and the skill set that DeCastro brings. The LG is the primary pulling guard when you consider that he's lined-up opposite the strong side most often. Most running plays go right, so it's the LG that has to pull. The LG is also the guy who lines up next to the LT, who generally draws the defense's bet pass rusher. He's got to be able to engage his man and be able to get off the block...especially if the LT gets beat on an inside move.
DeCastro has a lot of tools in his toolbox, but two of his greatest strengths are his footwork and ability to pull. I see no way he doesn't move to LG.

The Stanford offense ran primarily left behind LT Jonathan Martin (with DeCastro pulling to the left from his RG spot).

Last year, our offense ran primarily right behind RT Marcus Gilbert (with Kemoeatu pulling to the right from his LG spot).

Well, now Kemo is gone and Gilbert is on the left side. Why would we be stubborn and continue to run (pretty much) only to the right under a new offensive coordinator. Gilbert sealing the edge at LT with DeCastro pulling to the left from RG would be a welcome change (and we'd be running right at the opposing team's best pass rusher...who is usually not also their best run stuffer). Makes sense to me.

Jooser
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I see him as a left side guy too FLA

ikestops85
04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Colbert says he stays put and will play RG. I don't have a problem with that. I think Legursky is better than Foster anyway. With all the motion and different formations teams don't really have a set strong side like they used to have. I'll be happy no matter which side he plays on.

grotonsteel
04-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I think it all depends if Steelers draft another O-lineman. If not i think deCastro should be able play LG by end of the camp/preseason.

Flasteel
04-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, usually, the TE lines up on the right side...for most right-handed quarterbacks. Sure, sometimes we'll flip the formation or run weak-side, but I would imagine that most of our runs are to the strength of the formation - which is usually to the right. It's also Gilbert's first taste at LT. We have zero idea how he will perform and he's usually going to draw the best pass rusher, as I already mentioned. It only makes sense that we put the superior guard on the left.

I have no business arguing this with you, since you are obviously clairvoyant in all matters related to DeCastro. I'm sure he will line up where you predict.:D

BackwoodsSteeler
04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I think he stays at right with Legs at left.

Gilbert, Legs, Pounce, Cass, Allen, Massie, or Schwartz.

..................Ben............................. .............

............Very Happy....................................

flippy
04-27-2012, 05:14 PM
With what we've got now, the best lineup would be:

Gilbert - LT
Pouncey - LG
Legs - C
Decastro - RG
Colon - RT

Things could dramatically change sooner than later. I'd be all for a LT in the draft and leaving Gilbert on the right and bringing back Max for now. I wouldn't mind another stud OG either. I still think we have 2 open slots on the line right now.

steelz09
04-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Max Starks tweeted that his rehab is going well and will be ready by mid-July.

If that's the case, I think the Steelers will give him a shot.

With our current players, I think our best o-line is:

Starks - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

That would be the best o-line we've seen in a very long time.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I saw in the steelers post pick conference call Tomlin said he is a RG & it didn't seem he was referring to his college position. I take what Tomlin says with a grain of salt though.

flippy
04-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I saw in the steelers post pick conference call Tomlin said he is a RG & it didn't seem he was referring to his college position. I take what Tomlin says with a grain of salt though.

Tomlin drafted Timmons as an OLB afterall. :)

costanza2k1
04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
wherever he lines up I have a feeling our RB screens may start working after years of suckage!

pfelix73
04-27-2012, 08:11 PM
What? No. Where you get this stuff? He's gonna play where Colbert and Tomlin were saying. He's a RG.

TE on the right because of a right handed QB? Where did you play? That's just not totally right..

Sorry- from one of the posts up further.. ^^^^

BURGH86STEEL
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I think he will start out at right guard until he gets acclimated to the NFL. Being familiar with the position will make his initial transition to the league a little easier. As he gains experience, only time will tell if the coaches will want him at LG or RG.

Flasteel
04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
What? No. Where you get this stuff? Wikipedia? He's gonna play where Colbert and Tomlin were saying. He's a RG.

Sorry- from one of the posts up further.. ^^^^

Look, with all the motion and pre-snap movement in today's NFL (as someone else mentioned), I guess it does mitigate it somewhat, but the logic is sound and doesn't come from wikipedia. You want that extra protection on the left side and you generally run more plays to the strength of the formation. The only reason Kemo was able to hold on to his spot at LG was his ability to pull. Look at Faneca and his ability to pull.

I'm not saying it's insane to keep him on the right side, I just think you make better use of his skill set on the left...especially considering the unknown with Gilbert at LT.

Slapstick
04-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Isn't DeCastro on the left side as much of an unknown (or moreso) than Gilbert?

Jooser
04-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Adams - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon/Foster - Gilbert

​How's that work for ya?

pfelix73
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Adams is gonna be 2nd on the depth chart at either OT position. No way he beats out Colon in 2012. This is a crazy pick IMO. I'm surprised they took him, even though in a thread from a few days ago, I said something to the fact that he could slide down to them in round 2..Just surprised considering they have needs elewhere. BPA I suppose..

Looks like Starks days as a Steeler are over...

Flasteel
04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Adams - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon/Foster - Gilbert

​How's that work for ya?

From what I know of Adams (which is admittedly far less than many on this board) he is not ready to start at LT out-of-the-box. I also thought that our staff was pretty well sold on Gilbert's ability to play LT. Could this mean that Adams is being considered at RT? A Mexican standoff for the two tackle spots? The front office must really love this kid's skill set, 'cause I'm kind of scratching my head a little here.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Decastro stays at RG and we run left. Good pulling guards are able to lead the RB into the hole as the tackle seals off. I saw one report that said that this kid is so good that he gets outside of the T to seal. That is amazing for a guard.