PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Decastro Fall to 24?

flippy
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Because he's a G and the position isn't so valuable in the grand scheme?

Because other teams drafted for need? reached?

Just curious why you guys/gals think this happened? To me he looks as close to a sure thing as any player that's ever been drafted. I'm still in shock he was there at 24.

Maybe in addition to position, teams felt like there's a deep pool of Gs and they could do just fine with a number of them, so there was no urgency to pull the trigger on him.

Oviedo
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I think the run on pass rushers made everyone who wanted one reach a little. Some of the guys taken like Couples, Irvin, etc. have bust potential. There just seemd to be a run on defense.

If you notice the OTs fell too.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Because he's a G and the position isn't so valuable in the grand scheme?

Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

But you know what is valuable in the grand scheme?

Players oozing with Pro Bowl potential no matter what position they play.

We once again take advantage of the stupidity of other teams.

Slapstick
04-27-2012, 12:15 PM
It is both, Flippy...

Bizarre overdrafting (Bruce Irvin), understandable over drafting (Shea McClellin) and just plain bad ideas (Brandon Weeden) combined with the undervalued nature of the offensive guard combined to make Steeler fans rejoice all over the world...

phillyesq
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

But you know what is valuable in the grand scheme?

Players oozing with Pro Bowl potential no matter what position they play.

We once again take advantage of the stupidity of other teams.

Yup. There is the reason the Steelers are positioned where they are and teams like the Browns remain the Browns.

In 2-3 years, the Steelers will be looking at one of the best guards in the league at best, or a solid starter at worst, while the Browns will be looking for yet another QB.

grotonsteel
04-27-2012, 01:02 PM
OG is not considered so valuable. Also this year i think there are quite a few good OG in Rd2-Rd 4. So its a case of Supply and Demand.

Also NFL is a copy cat league. They saw what Giants did and everyone wants premium pass-rushers early in the draft.

Oviedo
04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
OG is not considered so valuable. Also this year i think there are quite a few good OG in Rd2-Rd 4. So its a case of Supply and Demand.

Also NFL is a copy cat league. They saw what Giants did and everyone wants premium pass-rushers early in the draft.

It really is supply and demand. Keep in mind that you not only have all the top Guard coming out of college every year but you also have a significant number of college OTs who have to move inside for various reasons to make it in the NFL. Unlike many other positions where the supply is less than the demand, Guard is the one position that actually gets a supply boost because of OTs moving inside.

Northern_Blitz
04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, DeCastro will be a great addition to the team.

I do think it's worth mentioning that the last time we were this fired up about early picks in the draft was when we got another two guys that fell early and were "can't miss" prospects. Mendenhall and Sweed looked great on draft day.

I think DeCastro was the right call by the FO. But every drafted player is a lottery ticket. I also think that the bust potential for OL is generally lower than other positions so I am hopeful. Here's hoping that the kid lives up to the expectations (although that seems hard when he's instantly compared to Faneca and Hutchinson).

Dee Dub
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Are you serious? You dont know why he fell to #24? here how about this...

Ryan Tannehill
Mark Barron
Dontari Poe
Stephon Gilmore
Bruce Irvin
Michael Brockers
Quinton Coples
Shea McClellin
Chandler Jones
Brandon Weeden

All 10 of these players teams reached for. Not one of them is a higher rated player than DeCastro.

Shawn
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
It is both, Flippy...

Bizarre overdrafting (Bruce Irvin), understandable over drafting (Shea McClellin) and just plain bad ideas (Brandon Weeden) combined with the undervalued nature of the offensive guard combined to make Steeler fans rejoice all over the world...

While Bruce Irvin could be considered a reach, I think he will be a special player at the next level. I don't know if I have ever seen a linebacker that able to get after a QB.

Oviedo
04-27-2012, 02:20 PM
While Bruce Irvin could be considered a reach, I think he will be a special player at the next level. I don't know if I have ever seen a linebacker that able to get after a QB.

Can he get after the QB while suspended or in jail????

Dee Dub
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM

He is a one dimensional player that 99.9 % of the teams had him rated no higher than mid second round.

Chadman
04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow- just heard on ESPN that he has a back-condition type injury that he's dealt with the last 4 years....

Chadman
04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Actually- that's not true...but Chadman would have paid to see Ruthless' face as he read that..

williar
04-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, DeCastro will be a great addition to the team.

I do think it's worth mentioning that the last time we were this fired up about early picks in the draft was when we got another two guys that fell early and were "can't miss" prospects. Mendenhall and Sweed looked great on draft day.

I think DeCastro was the right call by the FO. But every drafted player is a lottery ticket. I also think that the bust potential for OL is generally lower than other positions so I am hopeful. Here's hoping that the kid lives up to the expectations (although that seems hard when he's instantly compared to Faneca and Hutchinson).

This is what I am talking about. The last time I've seen this board so excited like this over a draft pick was when we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed. I was excited too. Some of you are acting like we won the super bowl already over DeCastro. Can he help Ben get rid of the ball quicker? If the answer is yes, then we might be on to something here.

Shoe
04-28-2012, 01:38 PM
I still can't believe that we got DeCastro at 24.

I think about Tennesse, with Mike Munchak (HOF Guard) as their coach. They invested a load of dough on signing CJ2K last year. They just brought in a future HOF Guard in Steve Hutchinson. What better situation to bring in "the next Steve Hutchinson" than to put him opposite, learn from two masters, and open up holes for their most dynamic player (CJ).

It baffles me that we got him!