PDA

View Full Version : If we are unable to draft a RB this weekend, would you want a RB from Haley's past?

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Tim Hightower and Jackie Battle are currently free agents.

Haley was in Arizona for Hightower's rookie season when he rushed for 10 TD's.

Haley was in K.C. last year when Battle broke out with 149 carries for 597 yards and 2 TD's after Jamaal Charles got hurt.

Surprisingly (to me, anyway) is that Hightower (25) is three years younger than Battle (28)...if I had to guess, I probably would have reversed those ages.

Of course, Hightower is also coming off of an ACL tear, but his occurred in the 5th game of the season (as opposed to Mendenhall's in the last game of the season), so he has had more time for rest and rehab.

Any interest (if they come cheap, of course)?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
i like hightowers running style, but it seems similar to redman.

prefer a change of pace back.

grotonsteel
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
I want a home-run kinda RB who can also catch.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Jamaal Charles would be nice...:D

Oviedo
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I think both Battle and Hightower offer what Redman does. Either would be a very good depth pick.

I really hope B. Batch steps up and proves he is a real player. Dwyer is on his last chance and Clay to me is just practice squad material.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Tim Hightower re-signed with the Redskins. Luckily, we were able to draft Chris Rainey, who should fulfull groton's desire for "a home-run kinda RB who can also catch."
:tt2:tt1

Hightower is back with Redskins, and has a point to prove
By Rich Campbell

The Washington Times
Monday, May 14, 2012

Tim Hightower lives by the motto “Purpose Driven,” and right now his purpose is returning from a serious knee injury and being a productive running back in 2012. He cleared an important hurdle in that process Monday when he re-signed with the Washington Redskins.

“It was a great fit for me,” Hightower said. “I like the coaching staff. I like the direction that we started heading in last year, the kind of guys they were bringing in and what they look for. It was kind of a no-brainer for me.”

Hightower signed a one-year deal, he said. Financial terms weren’t disclosed. After tearing the ACL in his left knee Oct. 23, he knows he has to prove himself to earn a long-term contract.

“I guess that’s the story of my life,” he said. “Regardless of whether you sign a three-year deal, a five-year deal or a one-year deal, that teaches me to stay on my toes. You never get relaxed in this business or life in general. It’s not a negative thing where, hey, you could be back in this situation next year. Me, I’m just thankful for the opportunity.”

Hightower’s debut season with the Redskins ended in Week 7 when he cut back on a second-half run against the Carolina Panthers. His knee buckled. He faced surgery and a long rehabilitation for the first time in his life.

“Rehab is not like training,” Hightower said. “Training, you can push your body to crazy limits. Rehab, you sometimes have to trust the doctor when he says: ‘That’s enough for today. Shut it down.’ That was a challenge for me.”

Re-signing Hightower re-establishes the status quo at the running back position. After visiting the New England Patriots during free agency, he is expected to team with second-year backs Roy Helu Jr. and Evan Royster for the second straight season.

Hightower, who turns 26 on May 23, has a strong chance to begin 2012 as the starter despite his injury. Redskins coaches believe him to be a strong fit for the outside zone scheme because of his speed, vision and ability to square his shoulders to the line of scrimmage and burst up field. He also is sound in pass protection.

Asked if doctors have fully cleared him, Hightower said only that he has been cleared to keep training and preparing for the season.

Helu led the team last season with 640 yards (4.2 average) and two rushing touchdowns filling in for Hightower. Hightower averaged 3.8 yards per carry and scored one touchdown. He knows he has to win back his starting spot.

“That’s the least of my worries right now,” he said. “My focus is on improving each day and really committing to getting into the best shape I can. That stuff will get determined in due time when it should be. I’ve just got to stay determined.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/14/hightower-is-back-with-redskins-and-has-a-point-to/

Oviedo
05-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Still not feeling real confident about our RBs. Lots of unproven players

Va Steelr
05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
We can make running back by commitee work.Redman showed potential as a starter.Dwyer should be good for a few carries a game if he comes to camp in shape and hungry.Batch and Rainey supply change of pace and both are good receivers out of the backfield and good in space. A good short passing game is just like a running game.I don't want Mendy back until he is ready and his absence may make resigning him easier.

steelnavy
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
As much as everybody talks up Mendy, I never really got it, ever. Other than a few games here or there that he broke some big runs, he was mediocre at best. I just don't see it and don't ever expect him to produce as much as his draft position should reflect. On the other hand, I really don't get the Redman "unproven" naysayers. That guy almost ALWAYS produces when given the chance, and he can only get better when running behind a real road grader. If Redman could get solid yards with no holes and BA's predictable play calling, just wait for this season. He is going to light it up if given the chance.

Look at the Broncos history at excelling with no name running backs. At the NFL level, if you can give a running back a hole, he is going to make some money. Redman is going to put the bread on the butter in the red zone this year.

Oviedo
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
As much as everybody talks up Mendy, I never really got it, ever. Other than a few games here or there that he broke some big runs, he was mediocre at best. I just don't see it and don't ever expect him to produce as much as his draft position should reflect. On the other hand, I really don't get the Redman "unproven" naysayers. That guy almost ALWAYS produces when given the chance, and he can only get better when running behind a real road grader. If Redman could get solid yards with no holes and BA's predictable play calling, just wait for this season. He is going to light it up if given the chance.

Look at the Broncos history at excelling with no name running backs. At the NFL level, if you can give a running back a hole, he is going to make some money. Redman is going to put the bread on the butter in the red zone this year.

Redman is unproven. He has never taken the game after game beating he will have to take as a de facto #1 given he's always been a back up. As far as comparing Redman and Mendy, last year I think Redman had like 4.4 average to Mendy's 4.1. Really think Redman will do more to improve the running game because he got like a foot more per carry last year? Once the wear and tear builds up we will be wanting Mendy back in there as soon as he can.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Redman is unproven. He has never taken the game after game beating he will have to take as a de facto #1 given he's always been a back up. As far as comparing Redman and Mendy, last year I think Redman had like 4.4 average to Mendy's 4.1. Really think Redman will do more to improve the running game because he got like a foot more per carry last year? Once the wear and tear builds up we will be wanting Mendy back in there as soon as he can.

Hopefully, between Dwyer, Clay, Batch and Rainey we won't have to see as much wear/tear on Redman.

steelnavy
05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Every time you say "unproven" I hear blah blah blah... Mendy gets one big run and a bunch of no gainers. Redman pushes the pile and keeps the chains moving. As far as I am concerned, Mendy never proved anything yet. I will take unproven over never proven.

Oviedo
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Every time you say "unproven" I hear blah blah blah... Mendy gets one big run and a bunch of no gainers. Redman pushes the pile and keeps the chains moving. As far as I am concerned, Mendy never proved anything yet. I will take unproven over never proven.

We all have opinions. I'm just fortunate mine are right;)

We'll see how the year goes. It would be great if Redman got 1300 yards and 15 TDs but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Whatever puts a Win against our name is good.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
We all have opinions. I'm just fortunate mine are right;)

We'll see how the year goes. It would be great if Redman got 1300 yards and 15 TDs but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Whatever puts a Win against our name is good.

Agreed. I don't care if 5 backs split 300 yards a piece if the team is winning.

steelnavy
05-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Agreed. I don't care if 5 backs split 300 yards a piece if the team is winning.

I also don't care how it gets done as long as the Steelers win, but I get tired of hearing the naysayers on Redman. There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that he won't do well, but there is plenty of evidence that he DID do well. The arguments against him are based completely on conjecture, NOT fact.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
I also don't care how it gets done as long as the Steelers win, but I get tired of hearing the naysayers on Redman. There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that he won't do well, but there is plenty of evidence that he DID do well. The arguments against him are based completely on conjecture, NOT fact.

I don't know that anybody is rooting against Redman. Some of the questions might come from the fact that the year before last his conditioning was less than stellar in camp even though he ran well. He's done the job when called upon thus far, it's just that we've never had to trust him this much.

That said, the Steelers have what appears to be a good stable of backs that will be running behind what should be an improved OL. That says good things about where the running game should be no matter how often or little it is used.

Slapstick
05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't know that anybody is rooting against Redman. Some of the questions might come from the fact that the year before last his conditioning was less than stellar in camp even though he ran well. He's done the job when called upon thus far, it's just that we've never had to trust him this much.

Actually, that was Redman's first year in camp, which was 2009...he served a year on the PS and learned to condition himself like an NFL player in order to make the active roster in 2010 and 2011...

Sugar
05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Actually, that was Redman's first year in camp, which was 2009...he served a year on the PS and learned to condition himself like an NFL player in order to make the active roster in 2010 and 2011...

I guess time flies, lol.

feltdizz
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM

That said, the Steelers have what appears to be a good stable of backs that will be running behind what should be an improved OL. That says good things about where the running game should be no matter how often or little it is used.

people root against Redman all the time....

All we hear is a ton of excuses for why Redman won't continue to do what he's done the last 2 years...

grotonsteel
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Tim Hightower re-signed with the Redskins. Luckily, we were able to draft Chris Rainey, who should fulfull groton's desire for "a home-run kinda RB who can also catch."
:tt2:tt1

I am excited about Chris Rainey pick. Rainey and Baron Batch could create havoc for their opponents especiailly with Ben's ability to throw on the run.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM

All we hear is a ton of excuses for why Redman won't continue to do what he's done the last 2 years...

You think that's rooting against him? Whatever... :rolleyes:

Oviedo
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM

The last two years he was a back-up RB. I think he could continue doing that very well. It's the full time starter that has me worried.

Sugar
05-16-2012, 08:04 PM
The last two years he was a back-up RB. I think he could continue doing that very well. It's the full time starter that has me worried.
I understand that you're worried, but are you actually rooting against the kid? I don't suspect so, but I'll let that come from your own keyboard.

Oviedo
05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I understand that you're worried, but are you actually rooting against the kid? I don't suspect so, but I'll let that come from your own keyboard.

Of course not, but I don't think being all rah rah for him on a message board means success. I have doubts with his running style that he can stay healthy absorbing that much contact as the primary back. Like I said, great if he is the next Bettis but Bettis was a once in a decade RB. Highly unlikely Redman is that.

Chadman
05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Redman looks to be a servicable RB. Not sure if he has the moves to be an every-down type player, but he can fill a role in a RB-by-committee type situation.

Starting to think it might be time to bring Mewelde Moore back- more of a Todd Haley type RB that can run & catch, and could hold the position down until Mendy is fit.

Rainey looks like a situational type RB, and will likely see the field on 3rd downs- but is unlikely to ever be considered much more than situational.

Dwyer needs to show something. He's Redman with a different name & less production. He looks like he might have higher upside than Redman, physically- he looks faster, seems to move better. Not sure if the will or the mind are there though.

Barron Batch is Mewelde Moore, younger & less proven. If he can turn up to camp & show he can contribute, the need to re-sign Moore diminishes.

Chadman is not convinced.

There is 1 quality RB on the roster- and he's out hurt.

The Steelers will need to come up with 3-4 RB's that can contribute into making a servicable RB committee, unless they can sign a genuine starter between now & the start of the season.

Chadman would start working out how much Mendy will be demanding to extend his contract- there is nothing on the roster that makes him believe Mendy is replaceable.

Slapstick
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Redman looks to be a servicable RB. Not sure if he has the moves to be an every-down type player, but he can fill a role in a RB-by-committee type situation.

Starting to think it might be time to bring Mewelde Moore back- more of a Todd Haley type RB that can run & catch, and could hold the position down until Mendy is fit.

Rainey looks like a situational type RB, and will likely see the field on 3rd downs- but is unlikely to ever be considered much more than situational.

Dwyer needs to show something. He's Redman with a different name & less production. He looks like he might have higher upside than Redman, physically- he looks faster, seems to move better. Not sure if the will or the mind are there though.

Barron Batch is Mewelde Moore, younger & less proven. If he can turn up to camp & show he can contribute, the need to re-sign Moore diminishes.

Chadman is not convinced.

There is 1 quality RB on the roster- and he's out hurt.

The Steelers will need to come up with 3-4 RB's that can contribute into making a servicable RB committee, unless they can sign a genuine starter between now & the start of the season.

Chadman would start working out how much Mendy will be demanding to extend his contract- there is nothing on the roster that makes him believe Mendy is replaceable.

Right now, until Mendenhall shows he is healthy, we have even less reason to believe in him than Redman, IMO...

ikestops85
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Right now, until Mendenhall shows he is healthy, we have even less reason to believe in him than Redman, IMO...

If the line makes the improvements we all hope it will then a healthy Mendy is better than Redman. Otherwise Redman has proven to be a better back than Mendy in my opinion. Mendy doesn't break the tackles or get the tough 1 or 2 yards like Redman. I'll take a chain mover like Redman ... even over a healthy Mendy ... unless the line makes a giant leap in performance.

feltdizz
05-17-2012, 10:31 AM
You think that's rooting against him? Whatever... :rolleyes:

Yep, I think it's rooting against him when a ton of excuses are made for his success and they can't give Redman any credit for what he has done behind this OL.

When people point to conditioning in 2009 or make up scenarios that haven't happened yet to discredit Redman I think it's rooting against him.

I'm not saying they want the Steelers to lose but I think they would prefer Redman under perform so another back could get his touches.

Sugar
05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Yep, I think it's rooting against him when a ton of excuses are made for his success and they can't give Redman any credit for what he has done behind this OL.

When people point to conditioning in 2009 or make up scenarios that haven't happened yet to discredit Redman I think it's rooting against him.

I'm not saying they want the Steelers to lose but I think they would prefer Redman under perform so another back could get his touches.

I guess I just don't see people wanting the guy to do badly- at least not here anyway. IMO, being undersold on a guy is a far cry from rooting against him. I also don't see people not giving credit for what he's actually done. They just question his ability to do it over the long haul, that's all.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 11:02 AM
I guess I just don't see people wanting the guy to do badly- at least not here anyway. IMO, being undersold on a guy is a far cry from rooting against him. I also don't see people not giving credit for what he's actually done. They just question his ability to do it over the long haul, that's all.

Who do you really think wants a player on the Steelers to do bad? Really????

Just because some have a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are hoping for failure. You and Feltdizz are "all in" with regards to Redman. Great, yeah for you. Others aren't and want to see more from a guy who has been a career back-up and nothing more.

Maybe he has a James Harrison type moment and goes from being back-up to being Offensive Player of the Year. We can all hope for that because it is good for the Steelers. Some of us just want to see more than limited opportunities before we annoint him the next great Steelers RB because he runs like Bettis in some people's eyes.

For some, the fact is he was a back up for a reason. Obviously the coaches saw Mendy as the better RB or are they also part of the grand conspiracy hoping that Redman fails?

feltdizz
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think anyone is predicting Redman for the HOF... but he has been pretty effective behind a bad OL in his role and he had 127 on 17 touches in a road playoff game.

I find it odd that Redmans style makes him injury prone while Mendenhall is praised for his style even though he has already missed a season and has a torn ACL.

The coaches may have seen Mendenhall as the better RB but IMO he isn't the more effective RB of the 2 behind our OL.

However, I'm willing to retract my "rooting against" comment and change it to "those darn haters who still doubt Redman..."

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not looking for any RB right now. A change of pace / multi purpose back was the only thing missing and I believe Rainey will be that. He will be the mismatch when a DC views him as a RB in base. He will be the X factor when a DC goes to his sub package counting him as a WR. Everyone forgets about Dwyer. Dwyer has all the making of a feature back. Even with Mendy on PUP the Steelers still have a 1-2 punch. Dwyer was graded as a late 1st early 2nd going into the combine. He had a barely average combine. He rebounded at his proday running in the high 4.4s low 4.5s with good cone times. All of that would have put him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he tested positive for amphetamines which dropped him down the boards. He always came to camp above his playing weight but when he did see the field he got the Steelers attention. If his foot is healed...There is no reason to believe he can't become what they thought he could be. He trained with Tim Shaw this Summer and rumor has it he looks ready to assume a role. Dwyer is 22...Turning 23 in July. He has a future in front of him...If he takes it.

Sugar
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Who do you really think wants a player on the Steelers to do bad? Really????

Just because some have a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are hoping for failure. You and Feltdizz are "all in" with regards to Redman. Great, yeah for you. Others aren't and want to see more from a guy who has been a career back-up and nothing more.

Maybe he has a James Harrison type moment and goes from being back-up to being Offensive Player of the Year. We can all hope for that because it is good for the Steelers. Some of us just want to see more than limited opportunities before we annoint him the next great Steelers RB because he runs like Bettis in some people's eyes.

For some, the fact is he was a back up for a reason. Obviously the coaches saw Mendy as the better RB or are they also part of the grand conspiracy hoping that Redman fails?

Wow, do you even read my posts? I'm hardly "all-in" for Redman. In fact, I was the one challenging the idea that there are Steeler fans that actually want the kid to fail. I certainly don't and don't see people here that do either.

Dude- I'm on your side, but you're making it hard!

Slapstick
05-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Please.

How often have posters on this board complained about veteran players keeping younger talent on the bench unjustly?

You can't have it both ways...

Crash
05-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Please.

How often have posters on this board complained about veteran players keeping younger talent on the bench unjustly?

Mendy's not exactly an old man you know. THAT was the issue, that an old hand like Jerry O could keep a young stud like Earl Holmes on the bench in 1996.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Please.

Well played, sir...well played...

Dick LeBeau is part of the grand conspiracy hoping that all young defensive players fail...after all, young players on defense are backups for a reason! :p

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think anyone is predicting Redman for the HOF... but he has been pretty effective behind a bad OL in his role and he had 127 on 17 touches in a road playoff game.

I find it odd that Redmans style makes him injury prone while Mendenhall is praised for his style even though he has already missed a season and has a torn ACL.

The coaches may have seen Mendenhall as the better RB but IMO he isn't the more effective RB of the 2 behind our OL.

However, I'm willing to retract my "rooting against" comment and change it to "those darn haters who still doubt Redman..."

The correct verbage would be "those darn doubters who still doubt Redman." I don't believe I have ever read where anyone stated they hated Redman.

Oviedo
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm not looking for any RB right now. A change of pace / multi purpose back was the only thing missing and I believe Rainey will be that. He will be the mismatch when a DC views him as a RB in base. He will be the X factor when a DC goes to his sub package counting him as a WR. Everyone forgets about Dwyer. Dwyer has all the making of a feature back. Even with Mendy on PUP the Steelers still have a 1-2 punch. Dwyer was graded as a late 1st early 2nd going into the combine. He had a barely average combine. He rebounded at his proday running in the high 4.4s low 4.5s with good cone times. All of that would have put him in the 2nd or 3rd round but he tested positive for amphetamines which dropped him down the boards. He always came to camp above his playing weight but when he did see the field he got the Steelers attention. If his foot is healed...There is no reason to believe he can't become what they thought he could be. He trained with Tim Shaw this Summer and rumor has it he looks ready to assume a role. Dwyer is 22...Turning 23 in July. He has a future in front of him...If he takes it.

I had high hopes for Dwyer, but I just haven't seen the "really want it" in terms of what he does in the off season to prepare himself.

Shoe
05-18-2012, 01:15 AM

I've made this parallel before, but in 1992 we had a very similar circumstance.

A new offensive system.
A 1st round pick RB.
Behind him, a stout young back who showed flashes of brilliance.

I can't remember what happened to Worley, but Foster came in and took the league by storm. Now of course, it's a lot to say that Redman will do the same. The point is, to say that Foster was behind Worley. It's not inconceivable that Redman was behind Mendenhall for reasons that aren't entirely due to playing ability.

Crash
05-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Worley was suspended for drugs for part of 1991 and all of 1992 and he was hurt in 1991 also.

But Foster wasn't a fluke either, he had a solid start to Noll's final season in 1991 and he got hurt that season too.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I had high hopes for Dwyer, but I just haven't seen the "really want it" in terms of what he does in the off season to prepare himself.

Training with Tim Shaw is a big step this offseason.

Oviedo
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Training with Tim Shaw is a big step this offseason.

I hadn't heard that. That could be a huge plus for the team if he comes in at top condition. The guy is just a natural who has been held back by not getting himself ready.

Slapstick
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Worley was suspended for drugs for part of 1991 and all of 1992 and he was hurt in 1991 also.

But Foster wasn't a fluke either, he had a solid start to Noll's final season in 1991 and he got hurt that season too.

Mendenhall is also unavailable, as was Worley...I don't think the reason matters...

Foster's "breakout" game was against the Eagles, where he broke the 100 yard mark for the first time...Redman had a 100 yard performance in a playoff game...the previous week, he ran for 90+ in three quarters...

It doesn't seem so dissimilar to me...

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer Wants To Be 'One Of The Main Guys Contributing'

by Neal Coolong on May 18, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4072730/123295267_extra_large.jpg

Mike Wilkening of Pro Football Weekly penned a solid piece on Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer, and what he's up to this off-season.

From Wilkening's accounts, Dwyer is ready to compete for an increase in playing time, something he hasn't had much of since being chosen six picks before Pro Bowl WR/KR Antonio Brown.

Wrote Wilkening:

Entering his third NFL campaign, "you want more," Dwyer said Thursday. "You want to be out (there) more and more and be one of the main guys that contributes on this team."

The article also references RB Rashard Mendenhall, whom Dwyer noted was at the facility as part of his rehabilitation from an ACL tear he suffered at the end of last season.

Dwyer won't likely compete for a starting position this year, but as he can attest to (a broken foot toward the end of the year) as well as a late-season injury to former Steelers RB Mewelde Moore, having a deep running back unit is important in the NFL.

He showed at least some potential, having scampered for a 76-yard run against Tennessee in Week 5 last season - the seventh-longest play from scrimmage in team history.

Running back figures to be a hot battle in training camp, with back-up spots behind likely starter Isaac Redman and fill-in spots while Mendenhall is out (could be through the first part of the season) are up between Dwyer, John Clay, Baron Batch and rookie Chris Rainey.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/18/3027890/steelers-running-backs-training-camp-jonathan-dwyer-rashard-mendenhall-isaac-redman-baron-batch#storyjump

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Here is that PFW article that was referenced in the previous post:

Steelers' Dwyer trying to break through

Mike Wilkening
Senior editor

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:14 p.m. ET

In the 2010 draft, the Steelers liked Jonathan Dwyer enough to take him seven picks before Antonio Brown.

Brown, a sixth-rounder like Dwyer, has become one of the keys to the Steelers’ offense, a formidable receiving threat opposite Mike Wallace. He’s also a Pro Bowl kick returner.

Dwyer, a running back from Georgia Tech, has not had that sort of impact, but he is a player to watch entering the 2012 season. With starting RB Rashard Mendenhall coming off an ACL tear suffered on Jan. 1, Dwyer could vie for more playing time.

Playing time has been scarce for Dwyer, who has just 26 regular-season touches on offense for Pittsburgh. He played but one game in 2010, a season that was about “just learning about growing up,” he said. He was just 21 when he received his first NFL carry, and he does not turn 23 until July. In 2011, Dwyer appeared in seven games, and in his most extended playing time of the season, he rushed for 107 yards on 11 carries in a victory against Tennessee.

Entering his third NFL campaign, “you want more,” Dwyer said Thursday. “You want to be out (there) more and more and be one of the main guys that contributes on this team.”

The 5-11, 229-pound Dwyer is coming off an injury of his own, a broken left foot suffered Dec. 4, but he’s back running, and he’s able to cut, he said Thursday. He expects to take part in the Steelers’ organized team activities, which begin next week, though his level of participation remains to be seen. He still has some soreness but nothing serious, he said.

After OTAs conclude, Dwyer, whose weight has fluctuated at times in his collegiate and pro careers — will train at Bommarito Performance Systems in Florida. Ideally, he said, he would like to play at 225-230 pounds.

If Mendenhall isn’t ready to begin the season, Dwyer would vie to be the top backup to Isaac Redman. Dwyer said that the rehabilitating Mendenhall is able to jog. “He looked good from what I could see,” said Dwyer, who last saw Mendenhall around the team facilities “a couple days” ago.

Mendenhall has been dependable since entering the starting lineup in 2009, missing but one game in that span — the Steelers’ win vs. Tennessee in October, Dwyer’s breakout performance, which was highlighted by his 76-yard run down the Steelers’ sideline.

“Hopefully, I want to be known for more than that,” Dwyer said of that rush, which is tied for the seventh-longest from scrimmage in club history. “That’s what this season is all about.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/05/17/steelers-dwyer-trying-to-break-through