PDA

View Full Version : RuthlessBurgher's Final Steelers Mock (and full 1st round) on NFL Fans' Christmas Eve

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2012, 10:37 PM
1.24 NT Dontari Poe, Memphis 6-4 346
2.56 OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State 6-4 311
3.86 OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (Ohio) 6-5 346
4.119 CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia 5-10 183
5.159 WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa 6-3 216
6.193 TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
7.231 FB Brady Ewing, Wisconsin 6-0 239
7.240 ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
7.246 OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308
7.248 DE Ryan Van Bergen, Michigan 6-5 290

I think Poe might fall to us as teams may be concerned about the Mamula workout warrior factor, and the team may be too tempted to take a guy with that combination of big, fast, and strong with a solid work ethic. Tomlin, LeBeau, and Mitchell won't be worried about his college stat line...we want a guy who can occupy blockers on 1st and 2nd down, and collapse the pocket on 3rd down (Poe is not your average 2 down NT).

In the second, they are hoping to land Silatolu, but if he is off the board, they will settle for Brooks there. They may not plan to take a second interior OL on day two, but if a guy they were prepared to take in round 2 is still on the board in round 3, they will make back-to-back selections at OG like they did with Timmons and Woodley as 1-2 LB's in Tomlin's first draft with the team.

The team will probably want to come out of this draft with a RB and a FS, which I did not take in my projection. If Brooks is not on the board in round 3, then they might take a RB like Isaiah Pead instead. If Minnifield is not on the board in round 4, then they might take a FS like Trent Robinson instead.

1. Indianapolis Colts - QB Andrew Luck
2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis Rams) - Robert Griffin III
3. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil
4. Cleveland Browns - RB Trent Richardson
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - ILB Luke Kuechly
6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) - WR Justin Blackmon
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - CB Morris Claiborne
8. Miami Dolphins - QB Ryan Tannehill
9. Carolina Panthers - WR Michael Floyd
10. Buffalo Bills - CB Stephon Gilmore
11. Kansas City Chiefs - OG David DeCastro
12. Seattle Seahawks - DE Melvin Ingram
13. Arizona Cardinals - OT Riley Reiff
14. Dallas Cowboys - SS Mark Barron
15. Philadelphia Eagles - DT Fletcher Cox
16. New York Jets - OLB Courtney Upshaw
17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland Raiders) - DE Quinton Coples
18. San Diego Chargers - OLB Whitney Mercilus
19. Chicago Bears - DE Chandler Jones
20. Tennessee Titans - OG Cordy Glenn
21. Cincinnati Bengals - CB Dre Kirkpatrick
22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta Falcons) - WR Kendall Wright
23. Detroit Lions - DE Nick Perry
24. Pittsburgh Steelers - DT Dontari Poe
25. Denver Broncos - DT Michael Brockers
26. Houston Texans - WR Stephen Hill
27. New England Patriots (via New Orleans Saints) - SS Harrison Smith
28. Green Bay Packers - OLB Shea McClellin
29. Baltimore Ravens - ILB Dont'a Hightower
30. San Francisco 49ers - OG Kevin Zeitler
31. New England Patriots - DE Andre Branch
32. New York Giants - OT Jonathan Martin

As for my final full NFL first round mock for 2012, I decided to toss in some curveballs in there. Everybody knows that there are 6 top-tier prospects who everyone and their mother has going in the top 6 picks. Well, I through a wrench in that.

I personally think that Tampa should take Claiborne because Ronde Barber is older than dirt, Aqib Talib may go to jail, and Eric Wright is a #2 CB at best who Tampa overpaid for in free agency. But the Tampa brass might not feel the same way. Their new head coach Greg Schiano came from the Big East (Rutgers), and Luke Kuechly was a tackling machine in the Big East (Boston College). Stranger things have happened (and Jacksonville is overjoyed because Claiborne falls into their laps at #7 and they don't have to make some Tyson Alualu like reach that throws everyone off).

Michael Floyd to Carolina gives Cam Newton another weapon opposite Steve Smith, which I think is more important than the d-lineman than everyone else is projecting to Carolina.

Stephon Gilmore has been flying up draft boards of late, but seeing him go to Buffalo is unusual, since everyone has them trying to improve their o-line instead.

Seattle is overjoyed to have Ingram fall into their laps, Arizona gets the OT they so desperately need (even though they really would have liked to pair Floyd with Fitz...darn Panthers), the Cowboys get their man in Mark Barron, and the Eagles are ecstatic that Fletcher Cox falls into their laps.

Everyone is projecting o-line and secondary (although some throw in a wideout to play opposite A.J. Green on occasion), but you rarely see a DE...and a guy like Coples is a guy that Mike Brown loves to take for some reason (supreme talent but questionable effort).

Detroit was tough because they could have gone OT (Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams), CB (Janoris Jenkins), or DE (Nick Perry). Since both Nick Fairley and Mikel Leshoure got busted for marijuana earlier this month, I eliminated Adams and Jenkins from consideration and had to choose between Martin and Perry. At OT, they have a steady but aging vet in LT Jeff Backus and a RT who is not terrible but not great either in Gosder Cherilus. At DE, they have a steady but aging vet in Kyle Vanden Bosch, and a young stud in Cliff Avril who they franchised but may not be able to keep long term. They decided to go with Perry, who could potentially replace Avril if he leaves, or if they are able to keep Avril, then Perry can play opposite him once Vanden Bosch retires (in the mean time, he can rotate in to keep the starting DE's fresh). They need to come after Rodgers and Cutler big time if they have any hope in the NFC North.

The Patriots biggest need is a pass rusher, so you'd think they'd take a pass rusher with their first pick (especially since they pick one spot before the Packers and everyone expects Green Bay to take a pash rusher to play opposite of Clay Matthews). However, New England also likes Harrison Smith, and they might be worried that Green Bay might surprise people by taking the Golden Domer to replace Nick Collins, who they released today. So Belichick takes the safety first in a weak safety draft, then takes whichever pass rusher Green Bay doesn't take with their second pick in round one.

MeetJoeGreene
04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Dude! Epic Mock Draft!!! That is BEAST!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Dude! Epic Mock Draft!!! That is BEAST!!

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/5/14/129183580906466920.jpg

pfelix73
04-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Ah, you've come to your senses now with under 24 hrs. to go..lol.... Well, that is not a bad draft there. Only change I might want to make to that would be with one of your OG's. Maybe a RB would be in order- say in the 3rd round... Silatolu from Midwestern st. would be a good pick in round 2. Still thinking with the relaese of Farrior, there is a huge whole there to be filled... but if Poe is there, I like the pick... Not sure the Steelers have Poe ranked higher than Hightower though.... time will tell.., but overall... I like your last version here- more realistic, I think...

Eddie Spaghetti
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
hope it works out like this, but i highly doubt picks 2 or 3 will be there when we select.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
hope it works out like this, but i highly doubt picks 2 or 3 will be there when we select.

I don't necessarily expect it either, but as I mentioned later in the post, if Silatolu is not there for us in round 2, then we could take Brooks there instead and then someone like Pead in round 3. But if both Silatolu and Brooks happen to be there for us at 56 and 86, then I'd take both of them. Gilbert-Silatolu-Pouncey-Brooks-Colon. That's a lot of beef.

Oviedo
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I think we will not have the chance to draft Silatolu or Brooks with our picks in Round 2 or 3. Both will be gone before then.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I think we will not have the chance to draft Silatolu or Brooks with our picks in Round 2 or 3. Both will be gone before then.

And Zeitler? And Massie? Are people going to be taking nothing but OL in 2nd round?

Chadman
04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Having read a bit mor about Poe- hard not to like the guy. If he's 'The Pick', Chadman is more than ok with that.

phillyesq
04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't necessarily expect it either, but as I mentioned later in the post, if Silatolu is not there for us in round 2, then we could take Brooks there instead and then someone like Pead in round 3. But if both Silatolu and Brooks happen to be there for us at 56 and 86, then I'd take both of them. Gilbert-Silatolu-Pouncey-Brooks-Colon. That's a lot of beef.

I've seen some recent suggestion that Silatolu could slip into the end of the first, but if the draft falls this way, I would love to grab both Silatolu and Brooks. Those two could turn the o-line into a strength by next year.

You made some bold selections in your overall mock, and I certainly applaud the effort.

steelblood
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for taking Blake Gideon out of this mock!

Steelersrock151
04-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Guards with 2nd round grades: Zietler, Silotulu, Osemele. Brooks early 3rd.
Tackles with 2nd round grades: Adams, Massie, Schwartz. Jeff Allen rising fast.
Centers with 2nd round grades: Konz.
There is a chance that Adams, Konz, and Zietler or Silotulu get taken in the first. But the chances of us landing a toplevel o-linemen in the second round, if they choose to go that way, are pretty good.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for taking Blake Gideon out of this mock!

You inspired me to make some pre-draft alterations to the ol' mock. :)