PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Tannehill, Dontari Poe headline overrated draft prospects

Dee Dub
04-20-2012, 01:17 PM
1. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M:
Tannehill has become one of the most debated prospects in the scouting community following his ascension up the charts in recent weeks. His supporters see an athletic quarterback with outstanding physical tools and potential, but some scouts harbor concerns about his limited game experience and indecisiveness in the pocket. While the desperation for finding a franchise quarterback routinely boosts the value of prospects with potential, Tannehill's game currently falls short of normal top-10 expectations.

2. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis:
After dazzling scouts with his impressive combination of size, strength and athleticism at the combine, Poe has experienced a meteoric rise up the charts in most war rooms. He has been pegged as a candidate to come off the board within the first 10 picks, but his lackluster production on tape should raise concerns about his ability to make an immediate impact as a pro.

3. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina:
Gilmore quietly has vaulted into top-20 consideration after a solid set of workouts during the offseason. Coaches and scouts are enchanted by his size, athleticism and toughness, but Gilmore didn't stand out as an elite cover corner when studying his tape. He lacks the tools and technical savvy to lock down talented receivers in isolated matchups (man coverage), which makes projecting Gilmore as a premier cover corner problematic in my opinion.

4. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State:
Martin's stock is rising rapidly following impressive showings at the Senior Bowl (http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl)
and combine. Evaluators envision him blossoming into a productive feature back in a power-based offense, but Martin doesn't display elite traits (speed, quickness and body control) as a runner on tape. While Martin's size and production certainly merit consideration early in the draft, he is a good (but not great) player who lacks the traditional skills associated with elite runners.

5. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State:
Pass rushers are valued at a premium in the NFL, so prospects flashing the ability to get to the quarterback fly up the charts as the draft approaches. McClellin is not a pure pass rusher with the size and speed to consistently win against big, imposing offensive tackles. His production has been a byproduct of the Broncos' clever defensive scheme, rather than his individual talent. For a team expecting a dominating pass rusher with game-changing skills, McClellin's workmanlike game might not produce the results to match his draft status.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82870a17/article/ryan-tannehill-dontari-poe-headline-overrated-draft-prospects?module=HP11_cp

Here's my list of buyer beware.

Dontari Poe
Riley Reiff
Mark Barron
Stephen Hill
Jerel Worthy
Devon Still
Mike Adams

Dee Dub
04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Not sure why the player comments didnt come out when I copied and pasted but oh well. Click on the link and it will tell you why Brooks feels this way about them.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Overated by where they will be selected...Here is mine:

1.Quinton Coples
2.Ryan Tannehill
3.Dontari Poe
4.Whitney Mercilus
5.Dont’a Hightower

You put more talent in this draft at the top, Coples & Tannehill are late 1st round prospects. Hightower & Mercilus are early 2nd and Poe is a late 2nd. Coples and Poe will be Top 20 based on ceiling and Tannehill will benefit from his position and upside. Mercilus gets drafted on only his 2011 season and athleticism. Hightower benefits from being in a talented defense in the best conference in college football with excellent production. I personally wouldn't feel confident I got the most value if I had to spend #24 on any of them.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Not sure why the player comments didnt come out when I copied and pasted but oh well. Click on the link and it will tell you why Brooks feels this way about them.

They are actually there. If you highlight like you want to copy you will see. You will have to edit and change color I guess.

Dee Dub
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM

1.Quinton Coples
2.Ryan Tannehill
3.Dontari Poe
4.Whitney Mercilus
5.Dont’a Hightower

You put more talent in this draft at the top, Coples & Tannehill are late 1st round prospects. Hightower & Mercilus are early 2nd and Poe is a late 2nd. Coples and Poe will be Top 20 based on ceiling and Tannehill will benefit from his position and upside. Mercilus gets drafted on only his 2011 season and athleticism. Hightower benefits from being in a talented defense in the best conference in college football with excellent production. I personally wouldn't feel confident I got the most value if I had to spend #24 on any of them.

I agree with you on these based on where they may get selected (except of course Hightower if he goes 24-32). I think you can also add Stephon Gilmore if he goes 10-15. I like Gilmore but I dont think that is where is true value is.

Dee Dub
04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
They are actually there. If you highlight like you want to copy you will see. You will have to edit and change color I guess.

Yeah that's kind of cool. I like that. Kind of adds a little mystery to the post. Like in invisible ink. :p

Slapstick
04-20-2012, 02:43 PM

1.Quinton Coples
2.Ryan Tannehill
3.Dontari Poe
4.Whitney Mercilus
5.Dont’a Hightower

I disagree about Hightower...

Hightower didn't just play on that defense...he stood out...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I agree with you on these based on where they may get selected (except of course Hightower if he goes 24-32). I think you can also add Stephon Gilmore if he goes 10-15. I like Gilmore but I dont think that is where is true value is.

I guess I could go no later than #28 where I would feel good in this draft class with Hightower. You would think the Ravens would take him. If the Steelers take him at #24 I would be fine. Hightower and a 3rd or 4th I would be pleased. I think he is higher on the boards with a weak overall class as a whole at the top. Top of 2nd is where I think he belongs but if there isn't any prospects better than him...He grades out against this class. I don't see great value in comparison of production between 1st & 2nd round LBs.

2nd Rounders:
Daryl Washington #47
Sean Lee #55,
Brandon Spikes #62
James Lauranitis #35
Rey Maualuga #38
Curtis Lofton #37

1st Rounders:
Sean Weatherspoon #19
Keith Rivers #9
Jerod Mayo #10
Brian Cushing #15
Rolondo McClain #8
Aaron Curry #4

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I disagree about Hightower...

Hightower didn't just play on that defense...he stood out...

Well then you aren't disagreeing with me then are you. I said "Excellent Production". We all know Hightower, Barron, Upshaw, Richardson, Kirkpatrick, & Chapman...They were always on TV and household names. They stuck out because the team was talented and won the Championship. "Stood out" on a team doesn't equal NFL Great. Of course you could be great...but you could also benefit from the talent around you.

Who is this...HE stood out as best player on his team?
LB
2011 143 tackles 12 TFL 3 sacks 4 Ints 5 FF
2010 144 tackles 16 TFL 2 sacks 0 Ints 4 FF

Most don't know him because they probably never saw a game.

So lets do something interesting.....Don't look to see who it is...Answer the questions below.

If a LB put those stats up and played for Bama & was coming out this year...Where would he get drafted?

If a LB put those stats up and played for a Big 10 team & was coming out this year...Where would he get drafted?

If a LB put those stats up and played for a SEC team & was coming out this year...Where would he get drafted?

Oviedo
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM

1.Quinton Coples
2.Ryan Tannehill
3.Dontari Poe
4.Whitney Mercilus
5.Dont’a Hightower

I agree with you on each of the players you list.

aggiebones
04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
When you pick at the bottom of the 1st every year, its always buyer beware. Never compare the Steelers list of first rounders against most other teams because we rarely get to pick top 10. Those fools at the top have alot of explaining to day. The Steelers truly have been blessed to avoid total failures in the 20s every year. But they spend money on their scouting dept. versus relying on the whims of the owner like the Skins, etc.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Well then you aren't disagreeing with me then are you. I said "Excellent Production". We all know Hightower, Barron, Upshaw, Richardson, Kirkpatrick, & Chapman...They were always on TV and household names. They stuck out because the team was talented and won the Championship. "Stood out" on a team doesn't equal NFL Great. Of course you could be great...but you could also benefit from the talent around you.

Who is this...HE stood out as best player on his team?
LB
2011 143 tackles 12 TFL 3 sacks 4 Ints 5 FF
2010 144 tackles 16 TFL 2 sacks 0 Ints 4 FF

Most don't know him because they probably never saw a game.

So lets do something interesting.....Don't look to see who it is...Answer the questions below.

If a LB put those stats up and played for Bama & was coming out this year...Where would he get drafted?

If a LB put those stats up and played for a Big 10 team & was coming out this year...Where would he get drafted?

If a LB put those stats up and played for a SEC team & was coming out this year...Where would he get drafted?

I looked it up...Danny Trevathan from Kentucky (rated as a 7th round pick or undrafted free agent by nfldraftscout).

After learning about the "invisible ink" function early in this thread, you should have typed the answer in the same color as the background, then told people to highlight it to find out. ;)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I looked it up...Danny Trevathan from Kentucky (rated as a 7th round pick or undrafted free agent by nfldraftscout).

After learning about the "invisible ink" function early in this thread, you should have typed the answer in the same color as the background, then told people to highlight it to find out. ;)

LOL
Booo! You ruined the excercise! ;)

You are correct.

I think many would have said if that was the stats of a Bama LB he would be a 1st. I think many would have said something about the Big 10 and those numbers didn't matter because he didn't play in a conference like the SEC. Then the last would have been...He would be a high pick if he put up those numbers in the SEC.

Like Ruthless said....A projected 7th rounder on an SEC team that nobody heard of because Kentucky had limited TV exposure. A 5-7 team that went 2-6 in the SEC. That is a "stand out" on a team. Doesn't make him a 1st round pick being a stand out, playing in the SEC, or putting up those ridiculous numbers. BUT....How many of you could honestly sit here and say that if he put up those numbers playing for Alabama he wouldn't be a 1st rounder? How many of us could say he "would" put up those numbers if he played for Alabama? For that matter, Can one assume Hightower would have put up his numbers playing for Kentucky? Slippery slope simply using the "SEC" or conference point on evaluating a player. It is also safe to assume on a talent laden team who wins a championship has some prospects who benefit from talent around them. The reason why I am saying all this? Tread Softly when pulling from a talented team. Many of the disappointments who are high picks in the draft are household names from exposure or players coming off of highly productive teams filled with talent. There is talent on these teams...And they play top competition. But some players are benificiaries from the talent playing on teh field with them and get overdrafted because of it.

Dee Dub
04-20-2012, 05:59 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am laughing so hard on this one.

Slapstick
04-20-2012, 07:59 PM
LOL
Booo! You ruined the excercise! ;)

You are correct.

I think many would have said if that was the stats of a Bama LB he would be a 1st. I think many would have said something about the Big 10 and those numbers didn't matter because he didn't play in a conference like the SEC. Then the last would have been...He would be a high pick if he put up those numbers in the SEC.

Like Ruthless said....A projected 7th rounder on an SEC team that nobody heard of because Kentucky had limited TV exposure. A 5-7 team that went 2-6 in the SEC. That is a "stand out" on a team. Doesn't make him a 1st round pick being a stand out, playing in the SEC, or putting up those ridiculous numbers. BUT....How many of you could honestly sit here and say that if he put up those numbers playing for Alabama he wouldn't be a 1st rounder? How many of us could say he "would" put up those numbers if he played for Alabama? For that matter, Can one assume Hightower would have put up his numbers playing for Kentucky? Slippery slope simply using the "SEC" or conference point on evaluating a player. It is also safe to assume on a talent laden team who wins a championship has some prospects who benefit from talent around them. The reason why I am saying all this? Tread Softly when pulling from a talented team. Many of the disappointments who are high picks in the draft are household names from exposure or players coming off of highly productive teams filled with talent. There is talent on these teams...And they play top competition. But some players are benificiaries from the talent playing on teh field with them and get overdrafted because of it.

If you're trying to convince me that standing out in the UK defense is akin to standing out in the Alabama defense, don't bother...you will never convince me...

However, you said that you would have no problem drafting Hightower at #24...neither would I...

I honestly think that DeCastro or Glenn will be there...

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2012, 01:48 PM
I honestly think that DeCastro or Glenn will be there...

I'll be hoping right along with you!