PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Loses out to Painter for Backup Job

phillyesq
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
From PFT:

Ravens sign Curtis PainterPosted by Josh Alper on April 19, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
The Ravens held a backup quarterback derby on Thursday and the winner was Curtis Painter (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5244/curtis-painter).
Painter, Kyle Boller and Dennis Dixon (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4729/dennis-dixon) all worked out for the team and the Ravens announced Thursday afternoon that they have signed Painter to a one-year deal. When it was announced Boller would be working out for the team that made him a 2003 first round pick, many wondered if history would (should?) stop him from getting the job. As it turns out, they were looking at the wrong history.
Painter started eight games for the Colts last season and their head coach at the time was Jim Caldwell. Caldwell is now the quarterbacks coach for the Ravens and his familiarity with Painter might have helped make the deal happen. It could have simply been a better workout, of course, but it was likely something other than Painter’s 0-8 run as the Colts’ quarterback last season.
Painter probably isn’t guaranteed a spot on the final roster. The Ravens have carried just two quarterbacks the last couple of seasons and Tyrod Taylor (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6509/tyrod-taylor) will still have the inside track on the backup job this summer.

And that probably tells you all you need to know about Dixon's future in the NFL.

costanza2k1
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
How sad is that? Geez, sucks to be Dixon I guess.

Sugar
04-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe he could go to Canada, eh?

steelz09
04-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Add this to the list of bad Tomlin-era personnel decisions.

What were we waiting for and what did our FO and coaches see in this guy? Now, we have no development QB prospects because our coaches thought this bum had potential. Anyone watching him play could tell he has no business being a NFL QB even as a #2. Hell, the RAVENS did even want him as their #3.

Now, we have Batch who is 100 years old and Leftwich is 99 years old. Overall, we are not developing talent the way we used to.

Crash
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I thought Hines said Dixon was going to be a star? :Blah

Oviedo
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
How sad is that? Geez, sucks to be Dixon I guess.

Doesn't "suck to be Dennis," Dennis just Sucks.

Still hard to believe that some were touting him as a future starter in the NFL.

phillyesq
04-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Doesn't "suck to be Dennis," Dennis just Sucks.

Still hard to believe that some were touting him as a future starter in the NFL.

True enough. He still made over a million dollars last year.

Who, aside from his agent, ever touted Dixon as a future starter?

steelz09
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
True enough. He still made over a million dollars last year.

Dixon did. He said he wanted an opportunity to start.

He should have said, he wants an opportunity to stay in the NFL.

Crash
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Hines Ward. Said the day after that 2009 ravens game that he was going to be "a star".

D Rock
04-20-2012, 12:10 PM

What were we waiting for and what did our FO and coaches see in this guy? Now, we have no development QB prospects because our coaches thought this bum had potential. Anyone watching him play could tell he has no business being a NFL QB even as a #2. Hell, the RAVENS did even want him as their #3.

Now, we have Batch who is 100 years old and Leftwich is 99 years old. Overall, we are not developing talent the way we used to.

Leftwich hasn't been resigned, and they brought in Troy Smith and Jerrod Johnson, the latter of which is certainly going to be developmental.

Sugar
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
He was a low pick for a reason. They guy had good athleticism and was worth a shot but I hope no one is shocked that he didn't pan out even if we hoped he would.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Overall, we are not developing talent the way we used to.

:Agree Chris Hope leaves, nobody groomed, have to hit up FA. Clarks contract comes up, nobody groomed, have to re-sign him. Ikes contract comes up, nobody groomed, have to re-sign him. No young ILB's groomed so have to sign Key Fox, then Foote, and now maybe have to put Foote back into a starting role. Still don't have a quality ILB to groom (doubt Sly is the answer) so will probably have to drop a 1st rounder on an ILB to ensure some sort of quality. Never even bothered to try to draft/groom anyone behind Hampton and now are in pinch. Obviously can't draft/groom a quality young QB so have to keep signing the old dudes & crappy Dennis Dixon clones.

Rats actually have the right idea. Take a Curtis Painter over a scrub like Dixon while we take their Dennis Dixon in Troy Smith. Who is the last quality offensive lineman we have groomed? Pouncey wasn't groomed....just had to drop a 1st round pick to fill the void. Maybe Gilbert will turn out as a stud but too early to say.

Slapstick
04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
So, people are sad that the Ravens signed Painter over Dixon?

I'm not...

That's great news for the Steelers...

aggiebones
04-20-2012, 12:43 PM
And somehow Crash finds a way to take a very lame attempt at a shot on Hines.
...in a Dixon thread.

Seriously, noone really cares that you have some vendetta against Hines. Its getting old. Stop dragging the board down with your childish behavior.

steelz09
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Historically, we used to ALWAYS let players go when they reach around 30 (give or take) especially LBs. However, we always had players waiting to take over and fill the void. These "players" I'm talking about shouldn't have to be 1st round selections.

Now, it's a domino effect. Tomlin hung on to Cowher's players for too long and 2 things are clear:

1) We're not developing talent like we used to and/or drafting as regressed
2) We had to cut young players that *could* have been developed to hang onto older players. Now, those older players are gone or should be gone and we don't have the young guns to replace them.

Two positives:

1) WR seems to be a position that we've been able to develop talent.
2) Carnell Lake seems to be developing our secondary. Lewis had his best year which isn't saying much.... Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen showed promising signs.

Again, the problem is that our "overall" ability to replace older talent has regressed. I hate saying this but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Ravens swept us again this year and wins the division. I see their talent pool growing and ours regressing.

Pouncey53Fan
04-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Leftwich hasn't been resigned, and they brought in Troy Smith and Jerrod Johnson, the latter of which is certainly going to be developmental.
Really don't want to bring back Leftwich. Too fragile.

Pouncey53Fan
04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
So, people are sad that the Ravens signed Painter over Dixon?

I'm not...

That's great news for the Steelers...
I don't really care either way. It's just more sad than anything that Dennis Dixon couldn't beat out Curtis Painter in the eyes of the Ravens.

Pouncey53Fan
04-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Historically, we used to ALWAYS let players go when they reach around 30 (give or take) especially LBs. However, we always had players waiting to take over and fill the void. These "players" I'm talking about shouldn't have to be 1st round selections.

Now, it's a domino effect. Tomlin hung on to Cowher's players for too long and 2 things are clear:

1) We're not developing talent like we used to and/or drafting as regressed
2) We had to cut young players that *could* have been developed to hang onto older players. Now, those older players are gone or should be gone and we don't have the young guns to replace them.

Two positives:

1) WR seems to be a position that we've been able to develop talent.
2) Carnell Lake seems to be developing our secondary. Lewis had his best year which isn't saying much.... Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen showed promising signs.

Again, the problem is that our "overall" ability to replace older talent has regressed. I hate saying this but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Ravens swept us again this year and wins the division. I see their talent pool growing and ours regressing.

I won't go into season predictions/thoughts yet without the draft yet completed, but all in all, I do agree with the rest of this.

Oviedo
04-20-2012, 01:09 PM

You mean like all those great QBs we developed in Noll's later years and under Cowher????? Nice try, but it has nothing to do with Tomlin-era anything. Hell we wouldn't even have Big Ben if Cowher had his way. Thank God Rooney overruled him.

Pouncey53Fan
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
You mean like all those great QBs we developed in Noll's later years and under Cowher????? Nice try, but it has nothing to do with Tomlin-era anything. Hell we wouldn't even have Big Ben if Cowher had his way. Thank God Rooney overruled him.
Hopefully the organization doesn't have to wait another 20+ years for a franchise QB once Big Ben retires like it had to after Bradshaw retired.

steelz09
04-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Tomlin still has A LOT to prove to me. I agree about Cowher though. He always had the team but he was content w/ his lackluster QB play. Once he finally got a true QB, we all saw the results.

Sugar
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Tomlin still has A LOT to prove to me. I agree about Cowher though. He always had the team but he was content w/ his lackluster QB play. Once he finally got a true QB, we all saw the results.

There's a give and take to all this. Some players can be developed and others can't. No team in the league has found the perfect strategy. But in this salary-capped league, you can't have a top-notch everything.

Tomlin has nothing to prove to me. He takes the team that he has and makes as much or more out of it than any other team in the league.

steelz09
04-20-2012, 01:49 PM
There's a give and take to all this. Some players can be developed and others can't. No team in the league has found the perfect strategy. But in this salary-capped league, you can't have a top-notch everything.

Tomlin has nothing to prove to me. He takes the team that he has and makes as much or more out of it than any other team in the league.

It really hasn't been "his" team. In that regard, "his" players. A few here and a few there.... but overall, this team was built. He really didn't need to rebuild anything. At this point, the rebuilding needs to start progressing. He can only stretch Cowher and Colberts players so far.

Eich
04-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I thought Hines said Dixon was going to be a star? :Blah

So, Hines missed a prediction. You should know how it feels, given that you said we'd go 5-11 in 2004, Cowher was going to coach a year after retirement, Ben was going to be cut for a $60M salary dump this offseason, etc...:Blah According to YOU, our front office and coaching staff NEVER do ANYTHING right except drafting Ben and then subsequently placing no value in him.

Crash
04-20-2012, 08:31 PM
And somehow Crash finds a way to take a very lame attempt at a shot on Hines.
...in a Dixon thread

The man asked a question, and I answered it. That was also the same weekend that Hines Ward basically called his starting QB a p**** on national TV.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the moron who spouted off the message.

Crash
04-20-2012, 08:34 PM
So, Hines missed a prediction. You should know how it feels, given that you said we'd go 5-11 in 2004, Cowher was going to coach a year after retirement, Ben was going to be cut for a $60M salary dump this offseason, etc...:Blah According to YOU, our front office and coaching staff NEVER do ANYTHING right except drafting Ben and then subsequently placing no value in him.

How do they value Ben? I think the facts pretty much show they don't value him at all.

They should have flat out told Goodell in public that WE are handling his suspension, not you.

They also bent over for Goodell because they hardly said anything in public about the way Ben was treated in 2010 by defenses.

Ben needs to tweak his game? NO, you build around him, and VALUE what he does as a player and hold the defense accountable for their 4th quarter garbage.

Sugar
04-20-2012, 11:40 PM
It really hasn't been "his" team. In that regard, "his" players. A few here and a few there.... but overall, this team was built. He really didn't need to rebuild anything. At this point, the rebuilding needs to start progressing. He can only stretch Cowher and Colberts players so far.

Um, Colbert is still here and I hardly think that he stopped having input as soon as Tomlin arrived. If anything, he got more control because he wasn't dealing with a veteran SB winning coach. As for Tomlin, this is "his" team as he is the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Players will come and go from any team and he has made as much of what he has had to work with as any coach in the league would have, IMO.

Crash
04-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Cowher had early success with Noll's players too. Works both ways.

Slapstick
04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Cowher had early success with Noll's players too. Works both ways.

Which shows the effect that another good coach can have on a group of players...just like Tomlin...

phillyesq
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
The man asked a question, and I answered it. That was also the same weekend that Hines Ward basically called his starting QB a p**** on national TV.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the moron who spouted off the message.

The point that I originally tried to make (and apparently made quite poorly) was that Dixon was a 5th round pick. I don't think that anybody seriously expected him to be a starter. He had a bit of upside based on his athleticism, but that was about it. If he was viewed as a potential starter in the league by talent evaluators, he would have been taken before the 5th round.

Crash, please tell me that you are not really finding a way to put a negative spin on a statement of support made by a teammate. It stretches any credibility that you may have. Did you expect Ward to say that Dixon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and had no place in the league?

Mister Pittsburgh
04-21-2012, 05:43 PM
The point that I originally tried to make (and apparently made quite poorly) was that Dixon was a 5th round pick. I don't think that anybody seriously expected him to be a starter. He had a bit of upside based on his athleticism, but that was about it. If he was viewed as a potential starter in the league by talent evaluators, he would have been taken before the 5th round.

Crash, please tell me that you are not really finding a way to put a negative spin on a statement of support made by a teammate. It stretches any credibility that you may have. Did you expect Ward to say that Dixon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and had no place in the league?

Pretty sure it was stated that Dixon was a potential first or second round QB if had not been for his ACL tear his SR year.

Crash
04-21-2012, 06:36 PM

But a star? You know what's funny though? DURING the game? When Dixon threw that INT? Ward was jumping around PO'd instead of trying to make the tackle. Funny, his media pals didn't call him out on that either.

We both know had he not had issues with Roethlisberger he would have never said it.

fordfixer
04-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Still spamming the site with your dislike for Ward I see. Ward is gone give it a rest

Crash
04-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Still spamming the site with your dislike for Ward I see. Ward is gone give it a rest

Um, no. I answered the guy's question. Don't like the answer? You don't have to read it.

You know what else is funny? Bouchette made it a point to mention how Ben wasn't at Ward's retirement PC. Not shocking to me one bit considering how Ward threw Ben under the bus at every opprotunity.

But what IS shocking, is that for a supposed "leader" on offense and the alleged "mentor" of the YMC, NO OTHER MEMBERS of the Steelers offense were there either.

Take from that, what you will.

feltdizz
04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I know it hurts but Ward is gone.

Crash
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I know it hurts but Ward is gone.

Actually if anything it's great that he's gone. No more worrying about catering to him. Now the YMC can move on without Ward's shadow and his politicing in the press.

Oviedo
04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Um, no. I answered the guy's question. Don't like the answer? You don't have to read it.

You know what else is funny? Bouchette made it a point to mention how Ben wasn't at Ward's retirement PC. Not shocking to me one bit considering how Ward threw Ben under the bus at every opprotunity.

But what IS shocking, is that for a supposed "leader" on offense and the alleged "mentor" of the YMC, NO OTHER MEMBERS of the Steelers offense were there either.

Actually, wasn't Ben in Europe at the time? Believe that was the case versus yet another conspiracy.

Crash
04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I guess the rest of the offense was in Europe too.

PS...Ben wasn't.

fordfixer
04-23-2012, 02:43 PM

It's your story you can tell it any way you want to

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Report: Dennis Dixon heading to Ravens practice squad

Posted by Josh Alper on September 2, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/dennisdixonpittsburghsteelersvcarolinaauviby0uetfl-e1346608077163.jpg?w=250

Before the Ravens signed Curtis Painter this spring, they had a few other quarterbacks in for workouts.

One of them was former Steelers backup Dennis Dixon, who got looks in a few other places without landing a job for the 2012 season. Now Painter is gone from Baltimore and Dixon looks like he’s coming to town. Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com reports that Dixon will sign with the Ravens as a member of their practice squad.

It seems odd that Dixon, who played in four games over four seasons with the Steelers, would have practice squad eligibility remaining, but his time as the Steelers’ third quarterback helps him in that regard. According to the CBA, “free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s)” are eligble for the practice squad and Dixon’s pre-2011 work was mostly as a third quarterback which, at the time, didn’t count as being part of the Active List and he spent most of last year on the inactive list as well. If it still doesn’t quite fit that Dixon’s eligible for the practice squad, just remember that his presence on the Ravens practice squad means that he’s eligible in the eyes of the league.

Dixon’s first of three career starts came against the Ravens in 2009, a 20-17 Baltimore win that saw Dixon complete 12-of-26 passes for 145 yards with one running and one passing touchdown. Dixon started the first two games of the 2010 season while Ben Roethlisberger was suspended, but was lost for the season with a torn meniscus in the second of those games.

The Ravens kept only Tyrod Taylor behind Joe Flacco and he didn’t blow anyone’s doors off with his play during the preseason. That suggests the chances that Dixon could wend his way to the 53-man roster in Baltimore at some point this year aren’t so farfetched. Until that happens, Dixon will be making $5,700 a week on the practice squad.

That’s not quite as good as being on a roster in the first place, but it seems a good bit better than plying your trade in the UFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/02/report-dennis-dixon-heading-to-ravens-practice-squad/

NorthCoast
09-02-2012, 04:25 PM
This begs the question, why do the Steelers insist on carrying 3 QBs when it is apparent that many teams have decided a 3rd QB is a luxury that is not affordable.

Slapstick
09-02-2012, 04:46 PM
This begs the question, why do the Steelers insist on carrying 3 QBs when it is apparent that many teams have decided a 3rd QB is a luxury that is not affordable.

Because many teams do not have a QB that plays like Ben Roethlisberger...

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I have to admit (and more of you should as well): When they drafted DD I thought it was a good value pick and I thought he had a high ceiling. His skill set is not much different than Mike Vick, who gets all the gloss. It turns out that this kid just can't process info. quick enough to be an NFL QB. And that is not something you can work around. He has no feel for the game and doesn't know when to put the ball where, plus he seemed too inconsistent and inaccurate. But at least they didn't spend a high pick on him.

As I have illustrated before, Pgh isn't that hot when it comes to draft picks after the 3rd round any ways. If you look at their results, as I notated in another thread, the Steelers are not superior in their later draft picks. This is just one of many that don't pan out. Oh, and for those who said, "Later picks don't work out because this team is too good to have many young players cut it" I say, how many of those players go on to make other rosters? If they were good players, they would make other teams' rosters. Fact of the matter is, they don't make it on other teams either, proving my assertion even more thoroughly.

Slapstick
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
As I have illustrated before, Pgh isn't that hot when it comes to draft picks after the 3rd round any ways. If you look at their results, as I notated in another thread, the Steelers are not superior in their later draft picks. This is just one of many that don't pan out. Oh, and for those who said, "Later picks don't work out because this team is too good to have many young players cut it" I say, how many of those players go on to make other rosters? If they were good players, they would make other teams' rosters. Fact of the matter is, they don't make it on other teams either, proving my assertion even more thoroughly.

What is your assertion?

Is it that the Steelers draft picks after round three have a lower success rate than they do in rounds 1-3?

Or, is it that the Steelers picks after round three have a lower success rate than most other teams' draft picks after round three in the entire NFL?

I don't understand...

fezziwig
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Tomlin today on the radio said as he walks through the halls at Heinz field he sees team pictures of the great 70's team and these teams had three QB's with just a 45 man roster. He said that is something to learn from so, he keeps three QB's. I agree, we should have three of them especially the way Ben plays, how many sacks are given up and an injury is around every corner. I hope we keep Batch and Lefty as the backups.