PDA

View Full Version : I sure hope that if Cordy Gleen falls to the Steelers...

Dee Dub
04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
They draft him and put him at LT. Keep Gilbert at his natural RT spot and let Glenn be their LT for the next 12 years. He is a legitimate LT. Putting him at guard would be a waste.

Dee Dub
04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I meant Cody Glenn. How do edit a thread title?

Oviedo
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't care if he is playing LT, RT or Guard as long as we have Cody Gleen aka Glenn

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I actually thought he played better at LT than G at the Senior Bowl so I am in.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Cordy Gleen, Cody Glenn, and Cordy Glenn...I'd play one of them at tackle and the other two at guard. ;)

Steelersrock151
04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Reiff may be in free fall, also. Short arms and all.

steelz09
04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm in....

LT or LG, I'm in!

Flasteel
04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
They draft him and put him at LT. Keep Gilbert at his natural RT spot and let Glenn be their LT for the next 12 years. He is a legitimate LT. Putting him at guard would be a waste.

Sorry brother, but you are looking at this all wrong. If he's got the tools to plat LT, then maybe we get him over there eventually. But for now - on this line? He needs to play guard. You need the best five guys out there and Glenn is position capable at guard. He's not just capable, he'd represent a significant upgrade where we have the least amount of quality and depth. You could argue that this allows Colon to kick inside, but then we are putting all of our chips on his ability to transition into a starting guard - while the other guard spot is manned by barely adequate talent.

I'm sure Kugs and Haley will look at every conceivable combination to get the five best guys out there...and it may wind up that Glenn is the LT in that winning formula (provided we even draft him). You just can't say it would be a waste to put him at guard, if our weakest position is guard. It wasn't a waste to put Gilbert on the right side as a rookie; it wasn't a waste to put Dirt Dawson at guard as a rookie; and it wouldn't be a waste to put Glenn there, if it gives us the best line.

Oviedo
04-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Sorry brother, but you are looking at this all wrong. If he's got the tools to plat LT, then maybe we get him over there eventually. But for now - on this line? He needs to play guard. You need the best five guys out there and Glenn is position capable at guard. He's not just capable, he'd represent a significant upgrade where we have the least amount of quality and depth. You could argue that this allows Colon to kick inside, but then we are putting all of our chips on his ability to transition into a starting guard - while the other guard spot is manned by barely adequate talent.

I'm sure Kugs and Haley will look at every conceivable combination to get the five best guys out there...and it may wind up that Glenn is the LT in that winning formula (provided we even draft him). You just can't say it would be a waste to put him at guard, if our weakest position is guard. It wasn't a waste to put Gilbert on the right side as a rookie; it wasn't a waste to put Dirt Dawson at guard as a rookie; and it wouldn't be a waste to put Glenn there, if it gives us the best line.

Well said. You have to get him playing and the best players out there. Guard is where we are weakest talent wise.

Dee Dub
04-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Well said. You have to get him playing and the best players out there. Guard is where we are weakest talent wise.

Yeah but by doing this you will then make T the weakest position. And that is the one position that could get Ben killed. The premier pass rusher come from there...hello? Like Terrel Suggs, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, Brian Orakpo, Osi Umenyiori, Jean Pierre-Paul, etc. All of whom are on the Steelers schedule next year.

We dont even know if Gilbert can handle LT. My guess is he will struggle there.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah but by doing this you will then make T the weakest position. And that is the one position that could get Ben killed. The premier pass rusher come from there...hello? Like Terrel Suggs, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, Brian Orakpo, Osi Umenyiori, Jean Pierre-Paul, etc. All of whom are on the Steelers schedule next year.

We dont even know if Gilbert can handle LT. My guess is he will struggle there.

We don't know if Glenn can handle LT either. At least Gilbert has faced NFL pass rushers before (albeit at RT, but he has NFL experience that Glenn does not). In Glenn's first game at LT this season, he got eaten alive by Shea McClellin and Boise St. You want to start him at LT in his first game as a rookie against Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller, and the Denver Broncos in prime time?

If we are lucky enough to get him, I would start him off at guard. If Gilbert or Colon gets a minor in-game injury, I'd use Jon Scott to replace them for the time being (you don't want to have to make 2 moves to fill one spot). But if either Gilbert or Scott are out long-term, then kick Glenn out to tackle and insert Legursky back into the starting lineup at guard. Glenn may have the talent to be a starting tackle for us long-term, but I'd let him earn his NFL stripes by kicking some butt on the inside, before ultimately trying him out on the outside.

Shawn
04-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I suspect he will be long gone. But he is the guy I want.

Dee Dub
04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
We don't know if Glenn can handle LT either. At least Gilbert has faced NFL pass rushers before (albeit at RT, but he has NFL experience that Glenn does not). In Glenn's first game at LT this season, he got eaten alive by Shea McClellin and Boise St. You want to start him at LT in his first game as a rookie against Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller, and the Denver Broncos in prime time?

If we are lucky enough to get him, I would start him off at guard. If Gilbert or Colon gets a minor in-game injury, I'd use Jon Scott to replace them for the time being (you don't want to have to make 2 moves to fill one spot). But if either Gilbert or Scott are out long-term, then kick Glenn out to tackle and insert Legursky back into the starting lineup at guard. Glenn may have the talent to be a starting tackle for us long-term, but I'd let him earn his NFL stripes by kicking some butt on the inside, before ultimately trying him out on the outside.

I am pretty certain he can. If you can do it in the SEC ( and dominate at it), in only one year of ever playing that position, you can do it it the NFL.

Have we already forgotten how he dominated Coples, Ingram, and Upshaw at the Senior Bowl? The 3 best pass rushers in this draft?

Ya get the feeling that if the Steelers landed Orlando Pace...Steeler fans would want to put him at guard? :-P

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I am pretty certain he can. If you can do it in the SEC ( and dominate at it), in only one year of ever playing that position, you can do it it the NFL.

Have we already forgotten how he dominated Coples, Ingram, and Upshaw at the Senior Bowl? The 3 best pass rushers in this draft?

Ya get the feeling that if the Steelers landed Orlando Pace...Steeler fans would want to put him at guard? :-P

He did not dominate them. He held his own. They beat him up a bit in early practices and he improved as the week went along. His overall play in Mobile was generally impressive (his stock was pointing up afterward, which is all that you could ask for), but if he did as well as you claim, he would be battling Kalil for the top tackle off the board (and he isn't close to that).

I like Glenn. I would love if we were able to draft him (either by him dropping to us or via a reasonably trade-up). But if we did manage to get him, and started him from day one, I think he would receive a C grade if he played left tackle for us as a rookie, a B grade if he played right tackle for us as a rookie, and an A grade if he played guard for us as a rookie. This is not to say that he couldn't be a top option for us at tackle in the future, but this is how I would handle it as a rookie.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that I think if he played left tackle as a rookie, he'd be an average NFL left tackle with the potential to become a good left tackle in the future. I think if he played right tackle as a rookie, he'd be a good NFL right tackle with the potential to become a very good right tackle in the future. I think if he played guard as a rookie, he'd be a very good NFL guard with the potential to become an excellent guard in the future.

Chadman
04-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Mike Adams just guarenteed that both Jonathon Martin & Cordy Glenn will be much, much harder for the Steelers to get their hands on.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
If the Steelers draft Glenn...You have an open competition at LT with Gilbert going into camp as the starter and Glenn will also see time at LG. We all know Legursky & Foster's jobs will be theirs to lose going into camp no matter who they draft. The roster is set that way right now and the Steelers conduct the competition from incumbent to challenger. When it is all said & done...Glenn will be one of the best 5 going into week one and he will have a home. We all saw Gilbert play RT at a high level. Gilbert also played G in college and if you remember...Before the Colon injury he was in position to challange at G. Gilbert has a destination but how the draft falls may determine his home. The characteristic of a Steeler OL is flexibility and it holds true to the current group.

The Steelers already have their eye on this years "Gilbert". His name is Bobby Massie. He is a RT playing in a LT's body. I don't think the Steelers feel Martin and Glenn will drop to them. If one was there...I think it would be an easy choice for them. Adam's blunder is being reported as fully disclosed to teams by Adams. This appears to be the case. That would make more sense to me given his play & background as it relates to the Steelers interest. I believe now they had no intention of drafting him in the 1st. The Steelers are very well informed in the OS program and they knew that marijuana was in Adams history. They may feel Adams drops to the 2nd. Perhaps Adams & Massie are targets in the 2nd if an OT doesn't fall in the 1st. The risk/reward on Adams in the 2nd could be argued but if he is on their board I'm sure they are confident if they make the pick.

Sugar
04-20-2012, 12:35 PM
So, basically, what I'm saying is that I think if he played left tackle as a rookie, he'd be an average NFL left tackle with the potential to become a good left tackle in the future.

Average would be par for this OL.

calmkiller
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I am sick and tired of drafting OL and playing them out of position. If you want/need a guard then draft a fing guard. Not a tackle and put him at guard. DRAFT A GUARD TO PLAY ONLY GUARD!

Oviedo
04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
I am sick and tired of drafting OL and playing them out of position. If you want/need a guard then draft a fing guard. Not a tackle and put him at guard. DRAFT A GUARD TO PLAY ONLY GUARD!

His name is Kevin Zeitler and I think drafting him to play Guard is exactly what we should do. All this nonsense about #24 is 10-15 picks too early is well....nonsense. These ranking number are nothing but opinions. Look at what he can do for the team and ignore the numbers.

Dee Dub
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
His name is Kevin Zeitler and I think drafting him to play Guard is exactly what we should do. All this nonsense about #24 is 10-15 picks too early is well....nonsense. These ranking number are nothing but opinions. Look at what he can do for the team and ignore the numbers.

So why cant you trade back 10-15 spots, draft him where he should go, and pick up another 3rd round pick?

Seems like common sense to me.

Flasteel
04-20-2012, 07:28 PM

I would be totally cool with Zeitler at 24.

Sugar
04-20-2012, 11:48 PM
So why cant you trade back 10-15 spots, draft him where he should go, and pick up another 3rd round pick?

Seems like common sense to me.

For that you'd need a partner. If you could find one, that's cool. If not, you wouldn't have the option. I'm personally not into getting any OL in the first round. However, the FO might have other ideas.

TD386Steel
04-21-2012, 02:22 AM
I would be totally cool with Zeitler at 24.

Me too if he's as good as Logan Mankins, which is what some are saying.

Flasteel
04-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Me too if he's as good as Logan Mankins, which is what some are saying.

I realize it's only one opinion, but the below excerpt also mentions that Zeitler led the nation in knockdown blocks with an incredible 142 and had 33 blocks which resulted in TDs. Wow.

04/02/12 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT TOP OFFENSIVE LINEMEN: Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin, 6-4, 314...A perfectionist, Zeitler expects more out of himself than anybody else could in class, the weight room and on the field. His anxious nitpicking is noticed and not always well-accepted by classmates, teachers and teammates. But it is opposing defenders who pay the price when the sum of his hard work pays off on the field. So, as expected, scouting reports show he does just about everything according to the book to his best ability -- and he has plenty of ability. Zeitler added a significant amount of lean mass in his college career and used it well. According NFL Draft Report statistics, he led college football with 142 knockdown blocks and had 33 blocks that resulted in touchdowns, obviously a major reason Wisconsin had a per-game average of 44.62 points and 467 total yards, including 237 on the ground. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Ed Bouchette's chat transcript 4/24/12:

BillinSF: Why have you "soured a little bit on Cordy Glenn"?

Ed Bouchette: Because I heard they did not have him ranked as high as I thought they might.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-42412 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116079-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-42412)

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Ed Bouchette's chat transcript 4/24/12:

BillinSF: Why have you "soured a little bit on Cordy Glenn"?

Ed Bouchette: Because I heard they did not have him ranked as high as I thought they might.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-42412 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116079-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-42412)

And if you believe ANYTHING that an NFL teams says the week before the draft, you are a great fool.

Oviedo
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
And if you believe ANYTHING that an NFL teams says the week before the draft, you are a great fool.

I agree, but it seems like Glenn has lost some of his momentum over the course of the last month. Not sure why unless there are real concerns about his fitness and doubts that his fitness would actually let him go outside to OT. Keep in mind he shot up the boards because of the possibility to play on the outside. If he was a Guard only he would be late-1st/early-2nd.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2012, 09:19 AM
I agree, but it seems like Glenn has lost some of his momentum over the course of the last month. Not sure why unless there are real concerns about his fitness and doubts that his fitness would actually let him go outside to OT. Keep in mind he shot up the boards because of the possibility to play on the outside. If he was a Guard only he would be late-1st/early-2nd.

That works for me...if other teams think he's a guard only and therefore don't take him in the first 23 picks, then I'd take him at #24 and then play him as a guard. To me, the possibility that he could also play tackle is merely an extra added bonus.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Guards don't gain momentum as the draft approaches. That is usually reserved for more glamorous positions. QBs and tackles jump higher now. Perhaps some corners, receivers, and backs as well. Guards, Centers, Linerbackers.....they have had their run already.

Oviedo
04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Guards don't gain momentum as the draft approaches. That is usually reserved for more glamorous positions. QBs and tackles jump higher now. Perhaps some corners, receivers, and backs as well. Guards, Centers, Linerbackers.....they have had their run already.

That was my point. Glenn was rising because of the thought he could play OT. If less people think that is not true then he is going to drop.