PDA

View Full Version : Dee Dub's Final Steeler Draft!

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Ok I have to be realistic. Even though for months I’ve had Kevin Zeitler and Harrison Smith going to the Steelers in the 2nd and 3rd round I have to come to grips with the fact that neither are going to be there at #56 and #88 respectively. So I want the one who will best serve this team sooner rather than later. This means I am going to have to make a sacrifice if I want one of them. This is what I want. Not necessarily what the Steelers will do. Here goes…

1 (024)---Donta Hightower ILB Alabama
2 (041)*--Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
3 XXX
4 (119)---Derek Wolfe DT Cincinnati
5 (159)---Hebron Fangupo NT BYU
6 (193)---Coty Sensabaugh CB Clemson
7 (231)---Miles Burris OLB San Diego State
7 (240)---Chris Owusu WR Stanford
7 (246)---Aaron Corp QB Richmond
7 (248)---Tony Dye SS UCLA

XXX—traded along with pick #56 to Buffalo for pick #41

I feel this gives the Steelers two starters/two impact players for next season (Hightower and Zeitler). Everyone wants O-line but the reality is there is probably only one spot open next season and that is at guard. Everything after the second pick I chose BPA regardless of position. But I did "consider" positions that are of "some" need to the Steelers. Aaron Corp has all the physical tools you want in a QB. He was highly recruited out of high school before he committed to USC. After the Trojans gave the position out right to Matt Barkley, Corp transferred to Richmond. Maybe the Steelers can catch lightening in a bottle, ala New England with what they got out of Matt Cassell? Who knows? But I for one am tired of seeing Charlie Batch as the back up to Ben, so if anything maybe they can groom this kid. He has a strong arm, good size, and has been under the QB umbrella of USC.

Sugar
04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
No Kicker?

MeetJoeGreene
04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Dude.. Epic Mock Draft.. that is BEAST!

Prowler
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Love your mock draft. You are a well reasoned and a wise football mind. By the way DeeDub, what do you think of the chances of Kellen Moore turning out to be a solid QB at the next level? I'm a huge Boise fan and I am amazed at what he was able to accomplish in college. Any chance an undersized guy whom the scouts think has a weak arm can make it in the NFL. Myself, I believe he's got the best timing of any QB, I've ever seen and the smarts to be effective.

pfelix73
04-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Hell, if I'd post that about only one spot for an OL 'in reality', I'd get crucified for it.....That's been my thought process for this draft too.. Every time I see these mock drafts with multiple OL in 3 of the first 4 rounds, or whatever, I just chuckle.....hehe

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Love your mock draft. You are a well reasoned and a wise football mind. By the way DeeDub, what do you think of the chances of Kellen Moore turning out to be a solid QB at the next level? I'm a huge Boise fan and I am amazed at what he was able to accomplish in college. Any chance an undersized guy whom the scouts think has a weak arm can make it in the NFL. Myself, I believe he's got the best timing of any QB, I've ever seen and the smarts to be effective.

Thanks Prower. Very nice of you. I love Kellen Moore. The guy is a winner. If Drew Brees at 6 ft tall can do what he does in the NFL why can't Kellen Moore? He just needs a chance but just as important he needs to get into the right offense for him. Like you said, timing. A quick, two or three step drop, get it out in a hurry, offense. Like a west coast or spread offense. Arm strength is good but having a cannon isnt necessary. We've seen guys with great arms but could hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Hell, if I'd post that about only one spot for an OL 'in reality', I'd get crucified for it.....That's been my thought process for this draft too.. Every time I see these mock drafts with multiple OL in 3 of the first 4 rounds, or whatever, I just chuckle.....hehe

Agreed! The Steelers need one good offensive lineman this year. They have committed to at least 4 out of the 5 spots already for next year. This time next year, they probbly will need another one. But they should cross that bridge when they get to it.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 07:38 AM
For discussion sake, what if the Steelers don't have the same fixation on Hightower? Who do you pick #1?

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Ok I have to be realistic. Even though for months I’ve had Kevin Zeitler and Harrison Smith going to the Steelers in the 2nd and 3rd round I have to come to grips with the fact that neither are going to be there at #56 and #88 respectively. So I want the one who will best serve this team sooner rather than later. This means I am going to have to make a sacrifice if I want one of them. This is what I want. Not necessarily what the Steelers will do. Here goes…

1 (024)---Donta Hightower ILB Alabama
2 (041)*--Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
3 XXX
4 (119)---Derek Wolfe DT Cincinnati
5 (159)---Hebron Fangupo NT BYU
6 (193)---Coty Sensabaugh CB Clemson
7 (231)---Miles Burris OLB San Diego State
7 (240)---Chris Owusu WR Stanford
7 (246)---Aaron Corp QB Richmond
7 (248)---Tony Dye SS UCLA

XXX—traded along with pick #56 to Buffalo for pick #41

I feel this gives the Steelers two starters/two impact players for next season (Hightower and Zeitler). Everyone wants O-line but the reality is there is probably only one spot open next season and that is at guard. Everything after the second pick I chose BPA regardless of position. But I did "consider" positions that are of "some" need to the Steelers. Aaron Corp has all the physical tools you want in a QB. He was highly recruited out of high school before he committed to USC. After the Trojans gave the position out right to Matt Barkley, Corp transferred to Richmond. Maybe the Steelers can catch lightening in a bottle, ala New England with what they got out of Matt Cassell? Who knows? But I for one am tired of seeing Charlie Batch as the back up to Ben, so if anything maybe they can groom this kid. He has a strong arm, good size, and has been under the QB umbrella of USC.

I would very much disagree that there is only one OL position open. Both Foster and Legursky are minimally acceptable. We have no idea what we are getting back in Colon. We have no idea if Gilbert can play LT. Taking only one more OL and yet adding two more DL just seems to be a little inverse logic. It is an offense first league now not defense.

Adding 6 players to the defense that supposedly is so consistent, well led and guaranteed Top 5 rankings but adding only 2 players to the 21st ranked offense doesn't make alot of sense. It does however clearly show the emotional preference we have in our DNA for defense growing up Steelers fans.

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2012, 08:53 AM
I will be shocked if Wolfe gets out of the top 75 picks.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
I will be shocked if Wolfe gets out of the top 75 picks.

SKL--I really like you Mock in your signature. Would prefer to see one more OL though.

phillyesq
04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Dub, I like your approach. I think Hightower and Zeitler give the Steelers two solid starters, and if they could grab Wolfe in the 4th (I've seen him everywhere from 1st - 4th in mocks) he could be a great addition to the Dline. He has the size that the Steelers look for in their ends. I might try to work a scat back type into the draft in the 6th, but otherwise, I like it.

grotonsteel
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I would be disappointed if Steelers drafted Hightower in Rd 1. But i think he might be the pick in Rd 1. I hope Steelers trade down if Hightower is going to be the pick. I would like to see Steelers draft an OT and OG in this draft. J Scott is not the answer and Gilbert is a big question mark at LT.

It would be a pleasant surprise if Wolfe is there in 4th Rd.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I would be disappointed if Steelers drafted Hightower in Rd 1. But i think he might be the pick in Rd 1. I hope Steelers trade down if Hightower is going to be the pick. I would like to see Steelers draft an OT and OG in this draft. J Scott is not the answer and Gilbert is a big question mark at LT.

It would be a pleasant surprise if Wolfe is there in 4th Rd.

I also want two OL in this draft. IMO Hightower=smokescreen

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Two openings on the O line. Neither guard position is written in pen.

I could see the team going into camp with a wide open competition for two guard spots between Foster, Legs, and two reasonably high picks, with an outside shot to a guy like Essex or Scott who also play OT, and a guy like Malecki.

At tackle you have Gilbert and Colon written in pen, but someone has to keep the white-out handy. One has not played in two years, and one is a soph who is making a move to the blind side. Beyond that you have as backups right now J. Scott, Trevis Turner, the possibility of C. Scott and Essex. Somewhere in there you'd think that there is room for a Mike Adams/Jonathon Martin, Bobby Massie.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Sorry guys, regardless of what you think, the Steelers have made it publicly known about their O-line for next year. They are pleased with Ramon Foster at RG and are counting on Willie Colon returning at RT. I know it kills you, but these are facts. Sorry.

And as far as Derek Wolfe is concerned, I used Cbssports.com/NFLDraftScout.com (Rob Rang), player rankings and they have Wolfe at 138.

Good enough for me.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
For discussion sake, what if the Steelers don't have the same fixation on Hightower? Who do you pick #1?

No sense in doing this...Steelers are very much interested in Hightower. They made that known during the combine and again brought him in last week for another interview.

If "IF" was a "Fifth"....we'd all be drunk.

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry guys, regardless of what you think, the Steelers have made it publicly known about their O-line for next year. They are pleased with Ramon Foster at RG and are counting on Willie Colon returning at RT. I know it kills you, but these are facts. Sorry.

And as far as Derek Wolfe is concerned, I used Cbssports.com/NFLDraftScout.com (Rob Rang), player rankings and they have Wolfe at 138.

Good enough for me.

I think CBS misses Chad Reuter. Rang simply doesn't do half the work Chad does.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 02:26 PM
No sense in doing this...Steelers are very much interested in Hightower. They made that known during the combine and again brought him in last week for another interview.

If "IF" was a "Fifth"....we'd all be drunk.

Just because I like you and you post such good info, I promise not to say "I told you so!" ;):wink:

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Just because I like you and you post such good info, I promise not to say "I told you so!" ;):wink:

Likewise Ovi. :D

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Hey Dee...I see you updated your sig after posting this latest mock; however, your mock in this thread includes Chris Owusu as a 7th round pick, but the mock in your sig only lists three 7th round picks (omitting Owusu)...just something I noticed, so I thought I let you know.

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2012, 04:11 PM
SKL--I really like you Mock in your signature. Would prefer to see one more OL though.

Yeah....I would too. If they decide not to draft a QB this year I would love to see them draft Kelvin Beachum LT-SMU in that 5 spot.. I think he would make an excellent LG

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey Dee...I see you updated your sig after posting this latest mock; however, your mock in this thread includes Chris Owusu as a 7th round pick, but the mock in your sig only lists three 7th round picks (omitting Owusu)...just something I noticed, so I thought I let you know.

Man you talk about paying attention to detail? :D Ruthless you are the man. Good lookin out. Thank you.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
By the way Ruthless, I'd be pleased with your draft. I think Gideon of Texas could develop into a solid player.

1.24 OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford 6-5 312
2.56 WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina 6-3 216
3.86 OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) 6-5 346
4.119 DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati 6-5 295
5.159 NT Hebron Fangupo, BYU 6-1 323
6.193 FB Chad Diehl, Clemson 6-2 257
7.231 TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
7.240 ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
7.246 FS Blake Gideon, Texas 6-0 208
7.248 OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Gideon can't run. No thanks.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Gideon can't run. No thanks.

We are talking about a 7th round draft pick who "may" develop into a descent football player. ;)

May wanna lower your expectations a tad. :lol:

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Safeties who cant run dont develop into solid football players. My expectations cant get any lower.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Safeties who cant run dont develop into solid football players. My expectations cant get any lower.

I think you are missing the point. We are talking about the 7th round. These are all pretty much projects. And if you are expecting blinding speed from these last round prospects, then your expectations are really way off.

But I'll correct you anyways. Here is Blake's 40 time at the Texas pro day. Far from "Cant Run". ;)

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2012/3/20/2887640/texas-pro-day-recap-horns-work-out-pior-to-2012-nfl-draft

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 08:21 PM

wait a minute...dude you have Delano Howell S, in your mock in the 7th round and he ran a 4.65 at the combine. Are you kidding me?

Let me see here, Gideon runs a 4.58 and Howell runs a 4.65 and you are saying Gideon cant run? :???:

Ok SKL I get ya...........not!

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Pro Day 40 times are about as trustworthy as Pittsburgh politicians. I will go with what I see on gametape and take Howell any day over Gideon.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Pro Day 40 times are about as trustworthy as Pittsburgh politicians. I will go with what I see on gametape and take Howell any day over Gideon.

Dang SKL...nice Michael Jackson backslide there. Moon walkin away from it huh? :p

4.58..regardless of hand timed..isnt what you called "cant run". Nice try.

By the way, how to you justify Howell's electronic time of 4.65 at the combine? Are those trustworthy?

This isnt and never was a case of Gideon over Howell or Howell over Gideon. You made a lame statement about Gideon that wasnt true and can't be man enough to admit you were wrong? Ok. Cool. :rolleyes:

steelerkeylargo
04-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Dang SKL...nice Michael Jackson backslide there. Moon walkin away from it huh? :p

4.58..regardless of hand timed..isnt what you called "cant run". Nice try.

By the way, how to you justify Howell's electronic time of 4.65 at the combine? Are those trustworthy?

This isnt and never was a case of Gideon over Howell or Howell over Gideon. You made a lame statement about Gideon that wasnt true and can't be man enough to admit you were wrong? Ok. Cool. :rolleyes:

Classic Dee Dub!!! I am not the one who said Gideon could be a solid pro. Therefore I have nothing to backtrack on.

Dee Dub
04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Classic Dee Dub!!! I am not the one who said Gideon could be a solid pro. Therefore I have nothing to backtrack on.

Come SKL man up. Own what you said. It was ridiculous for you to say Gideon cant run yet he posted a 4.58 40 at his pro day. Then you have the nerve to have A safety in your mock draft who ran a 4.65 40.

And saying "could be" a solid pro isn't a ringing endorsement that one will be. Give me a break.

well at least I can man up and admit when I am wrong.