PDA

View Full Version : Ovi's Sunshine Final

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Early but I'm tired of looking at these guys this year.

1.24 Kevin Zeitler, OG Wisconsin- Ten year starter. Probably the closest thing to a sure thing we can get at #24. Puts either Legursky or Foster into the back up role where they belong.

2.56 Josh Chapman, NT Alabama- NT for the next decade. Coming off injury but can be special player

3.86 Brian Quick, WR, App State- Tall WR we have been looking for and insurance if things go bad with Wallace.

4.119 Audie Cole, LB, NC State-Tall and rangy ILB.

5.159 Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU- Probably needs some time but Kugler can make him good.

6.193 Keith Tandy, DB WVU- Can maybe replace Ryan Clark in the future.

7.231 Marcus Kuhn, DL NC State- Kiesel/Smith clone who fits physical profile Lebeau like for our DEs

7.240 Phillip Welch, K Wisconsin- Does anyone really believe we donít need a Kicker? Experience in weather like what we have in Pittsburgh.

7.246 Patrick Witt, QB, Yale- Someone needs to holds the clipboards. Development project.

7.248 Toney Clemons, WR Colorado- Project at WR given that Sanders, Brown and Wallace are either RFA or FA after 2012 season he gets a year to learn.

MeetJoeGreene
04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Dude. Epic mock draft! That is BEAST!!!

calmkiller
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
I like the mock. It hits the spots we need and it also includes a WVU player.

phillyesq
04-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I like any mock draft that addresses the trenches, and I'm coming around more on Zeitler as a potential first round pick (though I would prefer to trade back for him or move up aggressively in the second). I would probably substitute a RB in the third, but otherwise, I like it.

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Early but I'm tired of looking at these guys this year.

1.24 Kevin Zeitler, OG Wisconsin- Ten year starter. Probably the closest thing to a sure thing we can get at #24. Puts either Legursky or Foster into the back up role where they belong.

2.56 Josh Chapman, NT Alabama- NT for the next decade. Coming off injury but can be special player

3.86 Brian Quick, WR, App State- Tall WR we have been looking for and insurance if things go bad with Wallace.

4.119 Audie Cole, LB, NC State-Tall and rangy ILB.

5.159 Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU- Probably needs some time but Kugler can make him good.

6.193 Keith Tandy, DB WVU- Can maybe replace Ryan Clark in the future.

7.231 Marcus Kuhn, DL NC State- Kiesel/Smith clone who fits physical profile Lebeau like for our DEs

7.240 Phillip Welch, K Wisconsin- Does anyone really believe we don’t need a Kicker? Experience in weather like what we have in Pittsburgh.

7.246 Patrick Witt, QB, Yale- Someone needs to holds the clipboards. Development project.

7.248 Toney Clemons, WR Colorado- Project at WR given that Sanders, Brown and Wallace are either RFA or FA after 2012 season he gets a year to learn.

Sorry Ovi, I do not like this draft. You a reaching for Zeitler. Picking him at 24 when he should go 35-45 is a major reach and results in very little value for the Steelers. You get an F automatically from me for your draft on that alone. Then you gamble that Josh Chapman will ever come back from knee surgery (ACL, meniscus). I wouldnt mind that as long as you hit a home run with pick 1, but you clearly struck out on that one. Then you use a pick on a kicker? Yeah I know it is a 7th rounder but any pick on a kicker unless he is all-world (Sebastian Janikowski), is a waste of a pick. Give me a special teams contributor with that pick instead.

You are better than this.

Ghost
04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Special teams are a major part of the game. Wins and losses come on the foot of a kicker. How is it not better to spend a later round draft choice on a guy who might win a game fro the Steelers than some practice squad fodder or dude that gets cut? Suisham was on the street for a reason.

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Special teams are a major part of the game. Wins and losses come on the foot of a kicker. How is it not better to spend a later round draft choice on a guy who might win a game fro the Steelers than some practice squad fodder or dude that gets cut? Suisham was on the street for a reason.

Agreed, but name me the last time a Steeler drafted kicker was on the roster?Or how often that happens in their history?

Plenty of kickers to be signed as free agents or un-drafted free agents. I would rather use that pick on a guy who can tackle on special teams and possibly be groomed at another position (corner back, LB, etc.).

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/steelers

Twice the Steelers selected a K in the draft over the past 30 years. And not once in the past 12 drafts. Kris Brown and Cole Ford. Both 7th rounders. And again I would prefer to use that pick on someone else.

ramblinjim
04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
I like this, addresses needs and could very well be "BPA for US" when our time comes along.

Dee Dub
04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I like this, addresses needs and could very well be "BPA for US" when our time comes along.

Not even close. I love Zeitler and have him going to the Steelers in round two (Slight trade up), but he is probably the 40-45th BPA on the board. Picking him at 24 is wrong.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
not a huge fan.

thanks for the effort though.

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
not a huge fan.

thanks for the effort though.

http://i.qkme.me/360zag.jpg

:lol:

Steelersrock151
04-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Have to agree with DeeDub. I like Zietler, and if we can trade up in the second to get him I'm all for that, but he's not pick #24 value, or even close. Silotulu (maybe), Osemele and Brooks will be there in the second round. Most likely Chapman will be there in the third. If we need that taller receiver, Nick Toon, Marvbin McNutt, Juron Criner, Greg Childs, and Tommy Streeter will all be around at the start of the 4th, one or more will fall to us. We won't need Cole with Hightower in the first.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Have to agree with DeeDub. I like Zietler, and if we can trade up in the second to get him I'm all for that, but he's not pick #24 value, or even close. Silotulu (maybe), Osemele and Brooks will be there in the second round. Most likely Chapman will be there in the third. If we need that taller receiver, Nick Toon, Marvbin McNutt, Juron Criner, Greg Childs, and Tommy Streeter will all be around at the start of the 4th, one or more will fall to us. We won't need Cole with Hightower in the first.

We aren't taking Hightower in Round 1. Everyone needs to move past that. Just my opinion.

grotonsteel
04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
I like your picks but i am not sure if Steelers are high on Kevin Zietler especially after Kraig Ubrik episode.

If Mike Adams and Hightower are there who would Steelers pick? OT/OG is more of a need whereas ILB is a luxury pick.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I like your picks but i am not sure if Steelers are high on Kevin Zietler especially after Kraig Ubrik episode.

If Mike Adams and Hightower are there who would Steelers pick? OT/OG is more of a need whereas ILB is a luxury pick.

I don't think the Steelers would avoid a player because of another player they previously had. Besides, the so called "Urbik episode" ended up with the Bills having a starting Guard they seem to be pleased with while we are still looking for two decent starting Guards.

pfelix73
04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Well, you know my feelings on this, so I will only say that I appreciate your effort and time thinking up a mock.. Anyone who does them on here deserves credit for putting in the time required to research it. Personally, I don't have all that much time anymore, so I stay away from doing them. But I'm not sure why you think they don't like Hightower at 24. The only other player the Steelers (my opinion based on what I've heard and read) have above Hightower on their draft board is Glenn. Barron is even below Hightower on what I've been seeing....We'll all find out in a little over a week, then we can all critique what they did....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
IMO the Steelers are not afraid to make an "off the grid" kind of move. They will overdraft a player who they really want instead of falling back and hoping that he - or someone equivalent - is still available. They did this in '07 with Timmons. There were several LBs available who were considered similar prospects - Timmons, Beason, Poz, etc. There were other need position players available - Staley, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, Grubbs, but I believe that they identified their man and did not risk losing him.

If someone like Zeitler is their man this year then do not be surprised if they take him in a spot that others consider too high. I'm not saying that he is, but I would not knock this mock because of it. If the brass considers this guy to be the #3 OG and they want him they would not hesitate.

Sugar
04-18-2012, 01:03 PM
We aren't taking Hightower in Round 1. Everyone needs to move past that. Just my opinion.
I'm curious as to why you say this. Do you think Hightower will be gone by the time we get to him? Do you think the FO doesn't think much of him as a player or...?

Steelersrock151
04-18-2012, 01:11 PM
One thing I've noticed is that the Pro-Hightower people tend to be very pro-Hightower, but with a dose of reality (if Glenn falls, or Keuchly, or Barron, they're more than ok with that as the pick). The anti-Hightower people are really, really anti-Hightower. They want a secodn or third round talent over him.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm curious as to why you say this. Do you think Hightower will be gone by the time we get to him? Do you think the FO doesn't think much of him as a player or...?

It was as he said, his opinion. Not the Steelers opinion. The Steelers made it known at the combine that they were very much interested in him and for a second time interviewed him last week.

Dee Dub
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
One thing I've noticed is that the Pro-Hightower people tend to be very pro-Hightower, but with a dose of reality (if Glenn falls, or Keuchly, or Barron, they're more than ok with that as the pick). The anti-Hightower people are really, really anti-Hightower. They want a secodn or third round talent over him.

Exactly. And I think I am probably the biggest pro-Hightower. But I understand that Keuchly and Glenn are higher rated players than him.

But I will let you in on a little secret. I dont feel that way about Barron. In the NFL he is going to have to play SS and he is no where near what Troy Polamalu is so how he is projected mid first round is beyond me.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 02:32 PM
It was as he said, his opinion. Not the Steelers opinion. The Steelers made it known at the combine that they were very much interested in him and for a second time interviewed him last week.

Speaking for myself, yes it is my opinion just like DD's opinion. I just think that they have bigger needs and they recognize that than adding yet another piece to probably the strongest, deepest and highest paid part of the team. Then there is always the issue of him not playing as a rookie although we have been assured that this would not be the case with Hightower.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2012, 03:58 PM

I don't understand it either. Personally, I'm not particularly pro-Hightower or anti-Hightower. I like him but don't love him. Think he provides solid value at #24, but still hoping that another player that I have rated higher than that falls to us (or falls within reasonably range of a trade-up).

I prefer a top-rated o-lineman like DeCastro or Martin or Glenn, or a higher ranked ILB like Kuechly or the top-ranked safety in the draft like Barron to Hightower if we could somehow get one of them, but if not, I'd be much happier with Hightower at #24 than someone like Mike Adams (think he is a bad fit in several respects) or Kevin Zeitler (overdrafting a second round talent at #24; good teams take the BPA, they don't reach like this).