PDA

View Full Version : 1st pick up in the air

BigRob
04-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I have to admit I am not confident about guessing the 1st pick in the draft. Hell, I can definitely see the Steelers going pure BPA this year. We have so many needs I don't think they are zeroed in on just one or two positions.

I was not surprised by the last three first round picks. I knew we were going Pouncey and Heyward last year. Hood was not a huge huge surprise, but I cannot draw bead this year yet and its not looking like I am going to be able to.

What say you?

Sugar
04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I have to admit I am not confident about guessing the 1st pick in the draft. Hell, I can definitely see the Steelers going pure BPA this year. We have so many needs I don't think they are zeroed in on just one or two positions.

I was not surprised by the last three first round picks. I knew we were going Pouncey and Heyward last year. Hood was not a huge huge surprise, but I cannot draw bead this year yet and its not looking like I am going to be able to.

What say you?

I'm thinking the same thing. BPA seems the right way to go. There are areas of need, but I wouldn't be too shocked by about anything they did this time. This has been a very good team and the only starter that needs to be replaced is Farrior, and Foote is serviceable and waiting in the wings.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
I have to admit I am not confident about guessing the 1st pick in the draft.

I'm reasonably confident about guessing that the 1st pick in the draft will be Andrew Luck. :p

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I say OL or get Ben more life insurance. If we don't fix the OL everything else will be moot.

BigRob
04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm reasonably confident about guessing that the 1st pick in the draft will be Andrew Luck. :p

Congratulations, You have just won the Smart Ass of the Day award. This award puts you in the top 1% of message board douche bags. :D

Plus you are now a member of the 1 percenters.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Congratulations, You have just won the Smart Ass of the Day award. This award puts you in the top 1% of message board douche bags. :D

Plus you are now a member of the 1 percenters.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BIwpwMMJCPM/T4tJyGCnW0I/AAAAAAAADyY/ze0uCQ0QqJ4/s1600/mr.+burns+1+percent.jpg
:mrgreen:

ikestops85
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I say OL or get Ben more life insurance. If we don't fix the OL everything else will be moot.

I'm with you Ovi ... I hope they pick 2 offensive linemen with our first 4 picks.

Sugar
04-16-2012, 06:51 PM

I don't see it this way. There is solid depth down the line in this draft. We don't need to have an elite OL as long as they are good enough to allow us to use our weapons. When you have the kind of injuries that they had last year, it makes it a lot tougher but those kinds of injuries on any group will make its play suffer.

Dee Dub
04-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm with you Ovi ... I hope they pick 2 offensive linemen with our first 4 picks.

You guys wanna tell us which one at 24? Who is worthy of that pic that will be there at 24? I mean we have only been asking this question for the past 3 months. And this is what you come up with?

pfelix73
04-16-2012, 08:10 PM

I'm sure he has a good life insurance plan. Especially since he runs around so much in and out of the pocket......

Furthermore, I think it would be rediculous to pick 2 OL in the 1st two rounds. 1, yes. 2? no way.

Chadman
04-16-2012, 10:03 PM
It's entirely possible we have overthought the situation too much. The Steelers won't reach, they won't select a questionable character guy, and they won't draft a small school guy.

While they don't draft for 'immediate' need, they tend to draft guys that will fill a role within 2-3 years, so look for positions that need upgrading through talent or age.

They'll look for guys that will fit their system.

Chances are they'll look at OL, DL, LB or Safety. Maybe RB. Doubt they'll look at CB because they have 3 young guys fighting for the open CB spot, unlikely they'll look at TE because they won't use the #2 TE enough to get value, they won't pick a QB, obviously.

It'll be a player from this group- Cordy Glenn (depends on how he interviews), Mark Barron, Donta Hightower, Jonathon Martin, Nick Perry, Devon Still, David Wilson or Courtney Upshaw.

Chadman would suggest that Perry & Upshaw are the least likely in terms of preferred choices because they have Worilds, a 2nd rounder in place at this point. Jonathon Martin is a candidate to be selected higher than #24. Glenn is a wildcard as he could be overdrafted, or not convince the coaches he can control his weight...or he could fall to #24 & interview brilliantly..hard to get a handle on him. Barron is being talked about as a potential Cowboy's pick, but if he goes past 14, he could well be there at 24. Depending on the outlook regarding RB, Martin ticks a number of boxes. Hightower is probably the 'safest' selection in regards to ticking boxes, and Still fills a number of criteria too.

In order, Chadman would assume Hightower #1, Glenn #2, Barron #3, Still #4 & Martin #5 at this point...

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 07:52 AM
It's entirely possible we have overthought the situation too much. The Steelers won't reach, they won't select a questionable character guy, and they won't draft a small school guy.

While they don't draft for 'immediate' need, they tend to draft guys that will fill a role within 2-3 years, so look for positions that need upgrading through talent or age.

They'll look for guys that will fit their system.

Chances are they'll look at OL, DL, LB or Safety. Maybe RB. Doubt they'll look at CB because they have 3 young guys fighting for the open CB spot, unlikely they'll look at TE because they won't use the #2 TE enough to get value, they won't pick a QB, obviously.

It'll be a player from this group- Cordy Glenn (depends on how he interviews), Mark Barron, Donta Hightower, Jonathon Martin, Nick Perry, Devon Still, David Wilson or Courtney Upshaw.

Chadman would suggest that Perry & Upshaw are the least likely in terms of preferred choices because they have Worilds, a 2nd rounder in place at this point. Jonathon Martin is a candidate to be selected higher than #24. Glenn is a wildcard as he could be overdrafted, or not convince the coaches he can control his weight...or he could fall to #24 & interview brilliantly..hard to get a handle on him. Barron is being talked about as a potential Cowboy's pick, but if he goes past 14, he could well be there at 24. Depending on the outlook regarding RB, Martin ticks a number of boxes. Hightower is probably the 'safest' selection in regards to ticking boxes, and Still fills a number of criteria too.

In order, Chadman would assume Hightower #1, Glenn #2, Barron #3, Still #4 & Martin #5 at this point...

Good analysis but as we get closer I think less and less that it will be Hightower. Just too obvious so I think it is a smokescreen. I actually think Barron is potentially more benficial for us at #24 than Hightower. However, more and more I think Kevin Zeitler is in play at #24. He may be the most sure thing at interior OL after DeCastro. We know he will be gone by our pick in Round 2 so we would have to take him in Round 1.

Colbert doesn't miss in Round 1 and many of the players you list have questions. IMO Zeitler is more of a sure thing than Hightower, Glenn, Barron, Still or Martin. Colbert goes for sure things in Round 1.

SteelAddicted
04-17-2012, 08:33 AM
The Steelers are going to pick the BPA and that's the bottom line. The Steelers always go BPA. So... I would feel pretty happy if the BPA just happened to be OL, DT, ILB, DB, or RB. I think we could use a stud at all of those positions.

phillyesq
04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Based on my usual test of "guy I'm hoping they don't pick" I think, and fear that it will be Adams. Otherwise, I think there is a good chance Hightower is the pick. Pouncey and Heyward were both widely projected to the Steelers before they were selected, and I could see that happening with Hightower as well. Production from a big school - he fits their mold.

If an offensive lineman falls, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go in that direction, but I suspect they'll find an offensive lineman in the second round.

Sugar
04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
The Steelers are going to pick the BPA and that's the bottom line. The Steelers always go BPA. So... I would feel pretty happy if the BPA just happened to be OL, DT, ILB, DB, or RB. I think we could use a stud at all of those positions.

There's good reason to feel good about that. This is a team that was a game away from being the #1 seed in the AFC and beat the eventual AFC representatives. Injuries hobbled this team for the playoffs, but we only lost one starter (probably the reason for so many mocking Hightower to us) with all of the off-season purging going on. This is a very good team that should be expected to contend no matter who we get in the first round or two.

grotonsteel
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Who are the potential Rd1 picks Steelers have met or called for visit?

Nick Perry
Donta Hightower
Mike Adams

OLB, ILB and OT.

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Nick Perry
Donta Hightower
Mike Adams

OLB, ILB and OT.

Smokescreen? Whe was the last time they brought in their eventual #1 for a visit? I really can't recall so maybe they do it all the time.

focosteeler
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Smokescreen? Whe was the last time they brought in their eventual #1 for a visit? I really can't recall so maybe they do it all the time.

In 2009 we did not bring any of our first 3 picks in for a visit.
In 2010 we brought Pouncey in for a visit but not Worilds.
In 2011 we did not bring in Heyward but we did bring in Gilbert....

so to answer your question, Pouncey was the last

aggiebones
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
BPA at probably CB, S, OL, DT. Possibly ILB, maybe even RB or TE, but likely not. Draft Day is crazy. Things to hope for. Someone takes Weeden ahead of us. A couple RBs go off the board as well as an extra WR. Pray there's not a run on OL and if so, we'll need a DT or DB to fall down to us. Normally someone good ends up with us. If someone we have highly rated drops to say 15-20, I think we go after him.

Will not draft DE, OLB, QB, FB, K, P or WR

costanza2k1
04-17-2012, 01:20 PM

or hope that Haley doesn't have long developing plays where the WRs run 30yard routes...work with your strengths not weaknesses

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Nick Perry
Donta Hightower
Mike Adams

OLB, ILB and OT.

Well add a WR to that list because Hill is visiting today.

grotonsteel
04-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Well add a WR to that list because Hill is visiting today.

Interesting. Does it mean Mike Wallace might be a draft day trade?

Or Steelers trading down?

Andre Branch, Bobby Massie, Amini Silatolu. I don't think these players will be available at 2.56