PDA

View Full Version : Is Stevenson Sylvester ready to take Farrior's spot?

fordfixer
04-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Is Stevenson Sylvester ready to take Farrior's spot?
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 15, 2012
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_791429.html

Larry Foote appears to be the short-term solution for the huge hole the Steelers have at left inside linebacker. The upcoming draft looks like the most logical place to find the long-term successor to James Farrior.

But Stevenson Sylvester, who has played primarily on special teams in his first two NFL seasons, is conceding nothing when it comes to 2012 or the 2012 draft.

"I feel like I'm the linebacker of the future," Sylvester said. "I've still got a lot of work to do, but I'm confident I can do this job. I really feel good about this upcoming year."

The player known as "Sly" meets at least one prerequisite demanded of whoever replaces Farrior: that he is undaunted at trying to measure up to one of the more important players during the Steelers' most successful run since the 1970s.

Sylvester's confidence is rooted in the 15-plus pounds he shed during the offseason, as well as the film study that he is convinced also will help him play faster in 2012.

Now, all he has to do is convince the coaches he can play "buck" linebacker at a high level, as well as lead the defense. Doing so will require nothing less than a quantum leap considering the standard Farrior established at the position and that Stevenson has four times as many special-teams tackles (21) as he does tackles (five) in 31 career games.

Foote will get the first crack at replacing Farrior, and coach Mike Tomlin said he expects "Larry to play and play well." But the fifth-year coach is looking for Sylvester to push Foote, who turns 32 in June and is going into the final year of his contract.

"The arrow needs to continue to move up with him," Tomlin said of Sylvester. "He and I have had very direct discussions in that regard. I am excited about seeing his readiness for that."

The Steelers begin workouts Monday at their South Side headquarters, but they won't hold their first offseason practice until after the draft has been completed.

That means they have to decide how much of an investment to make at inside linebacker before seeing Sylvester play a single down, albeit one in shorts. They also have to decide whether they can find a starting- caliber inside linebacker in this year's draft if they don't take one early.

Of the many things the 2012 draft has, depth at inside linebacker apparently is not one of them.

"They're few and far between," said Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com.

The Steelers hosted two inside linebackers last week California's Mychal Kendricks and Alabama's Dont'a Hightower and Hightower's profile suggests he may be the right player at the right time for Dick LeBeau's defense.

Hightower helped the Crimson Tide win the national championship last season, and the 6-foot-2, 265-pounder managed to stand out on a defense that could produce four first-round picks a week from Thursday.

Hightower, who led Alabama with 85 tackles in 2011, is a classic run-stuffer who specializes in shedding blocks and shredding opposing ball-carriers. A consensus All-American in 2011, Hightower has experience in a 3-4 defense. He also has pass-rushing skills, making him a threat on blitzes, and the kind of versatility that the Steelers covet.

"Hightower, I think, could be a star in any 3-4 defense," Rang said.

Hightower overcame a serious knee injury that sabotaged his sophomore season at Alabama. He ran a 4.67 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, answering any questions about his speed.

"If he never got hurt, I think we'd be talking about a top-15 pick," said former NFL scout Dan Shonka, general manager of Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services.

Hightower may be available when the Steelers pick at No. 24 because inside linebackers generally aren't valued as much as players at other positions.

The Steelers also could try to get a linebacker like Kendricks in the second or third round. However things shake out, Sylvester, a fifth-round pick out of Utah in 2010, said he welcomes the competition.

He spent almost two months in Reading, working with trainer John Schaeffer on strength, endurance and speed. The 6-3 Sylvester, after playing at 255 pounds last season, is under 240, and he is in arguably the best shape of his life.

Sylvester is also more comfortable in LeBeau's defense, and that is no small consideration since the "buck" linebacker has to get everyone into position after a defense is called.

If the mental and physical dovetail during his second offseason the NFL lockout wiped out all offseason practices last year Sylvester could alternately answer questions and ease concerns about inside linebacker in the post-Farrior era.

"When I'm comfortable and in shape," Sylvester said, "the game just flows for me."

Read more: Is Stevenson Sylvester ready to take Farrior's spot? - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_791429.html#ixzz1sB3uYi3O

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
either Sylvester or Foote need to step up this season as Farrior's replacement because we all know that even if we draft Hightower in the first round that no rookie can ever start right away in Saint LeBeau's complicated defensive scheme. :stirpot

Djfan
04-16-2012, 01:40 AM
I hope he can. He has MUCH bigger shoes to fill than any receiver will in replacing Ward, IMO.

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Interesting paradox. Stevenson loses 15 pounds to get below 240 to play Farrior's position and the player in the draft most touted to come in and have a chance to play that position is over 265lbs. Something doesn't seem logical. If they want fast and light then Hightower doesn't fit what they are working Stevenson to become and what Farrior was. It would seem that many possibly misread what they are looking for at the Farrior position mistakenly believe you need a "big thumper."

Dee Dub
04-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Interesting paradox. Stevenson loses 15 pounds to get below 240 to play Farrior's position and the player in the draft most touted to come in and have a chance to play that position is over 265lbs. Something doesn't seem logical. If they want fast and light then Hightower doesn't fit what they are working Stevenson to become and what Farrior was. It would seem that many possibly misread what they are looking for at the Farrior position mistakenly believe you need a "big thumper."

Then why would the Steelers bring Hightower in for a visit? Ovi, if Hightower fits in Saban's 3-4 zone blitz, them he fits in Lebeau's 3-4 zone blitz. ;)

..and if you think Hightower is just a big thumper then you are in for a surprise.