PDA

View Full Version : Steelers shopping Wallace?

Djfan
04-14-2012, 12:14 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/04/12/teams-interested-in-trading-for-wallace-but-will-steelers-listen/#.T4cMaWB7eCI.twitter

Teams interested in trading for Wallace, but will Steelers listen? (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/04/12/teams-interested-in-trading-for-wallace-but-will-steelers-listen/) April 12th, 2012

If the Steelers want to keep Mike Wallace, there’s nothing he can do to prevent that.
However, he can try to force the Steelers’ hand to either pay him or trade him.
And that’s exactly what he and his representatives are doing.
Less than 24 hours after a league source told me that a handful of teams are interested in trading for Wallace leading up the NFL draft scheduled for two weeks from today, news leaked that Wallace doesn’t intend on showing up to any of the Steelers’ offseason activities in protest of his first-round tender.
It isn’t by coincidence that the news was leaked that Wallace doesn’t plan to sign his restricted free agent tender by the April 20 deadline only weeks before the draft, it is strategy.
Even though Bus Cook’s plan of planting information that his client would be a major player in the restricted free agent market this year because of the new CBA rule that requires only a first-round pick as compensation rather than a first and a third backfired, that doesn’t mean this tactic won’t.
There was no way that any team would give up a first-round pick for Wallace along with signing him to a lucrative long-term contract on the RFA market, and that became apparent early on.
However, it is very attractive to teams to try to get Wallace via a trade because it would definitely command less than a first-round pick it would’ve cost them on the RFA market.
Also, it is very attractive for Wallace to go to a team that is willing to pay him the in excess of $10 million per season he is demanding.
But, of course, it takes two teams to trade, and floating it out there at the absolute right time that Wallace doesn’t plan to attend offseason workouts during a year that the team hires a new offensive coordinator should perk up the ears of all the Steelers’ decision-makers.
Santonio Holmes was traded 10 days before the 2010 draft. News about a disgruntled Wallace broke 15 days before the 2012 draft. Coincidence? Doubtful.
Although Holmes’ trade had a lot to do with the trouble he got into on the heels of Ben Roethlisberger’s Milledgeville incident, but still, a part of it was because Holmes was in the final year of his contract and the Steelers had no intentions of signing him to an extension and wanted to get something for him.
So the Steelers shipped Holmes to New York for a fifth-round choice.
Wallace would likely command a higher pick than a fifth, but the Steelers have to consider any offer that comes. Plus, it would be much easier to explain a trade of a disgruntled employee than a model employee, and Bus Cook knows that hence yesterday’s report.
It’s becoming clearer that the Steelers aren’t going to offer Wallace enough money for him to forgo testing the free agent market next year.
The Steelers aren’t going to franchise him, either.
The franchise tag was $9.4 million this year, but will most certainly go up next year following the big contracts of Calvin Johnson ($16.5 million a year) and Vincent Jackson ($11 million a year) last month.
It’s already been reported that Wallace wants Larry Fitzgerald-type money – 8 years, $120 million.
That’s not going to happen here because the Steelers don’t value receivers like that and, most importantly, they don’t have the money to do it.
What the Steelers have to decide is whether having Wallace for this year is worth losing a possible third or fourth-round draft choice or some other draft choice combination another team is willing to part with in a trade.
If it is, then they will keep him.
If it isn’t, they will trade him.
But make no mistake about it, once the draft is over and if Wallace doesn’t sign his tender, the little leverage Wallace has will be gone.
If Wallace doesn’t sign his tender by June 15, the Steelers could reduce his tender by $2.1 million and still retain his rights.
If Wallace holds out the entire year, he would lose an accrued season and still be a restricted free agent again next year when everything repeats itself.
Wallace could go the route of Jackson a couple years ago when he accepted the reduced tender, held out until Week 10 and became an unrestricted free agent after that, but that would make him less attractive to possible suitors.
So what will happen?
Well, this is for sure: Wallace isn’t going to miss any OTAs, he isn’t going to hold out, he isn’t going to show up in Week 10 and he is definitely not going to lose $2.1 million.
That leaves two options – Wallace gets traded within the next two weeks or he leaves via free agency next year.
There really aren’t any other logical options.
• Mark Kaboly
• Posted: 4/12 at 12:55 p.m.
• @MarkKaboly_Trib

Crash
04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I think Kaboly was fed a line from Wallace's agent. NO national media have ID'd any of the alleged teams who want to trade for Wallace.

costanza2k1
04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Not only was he probably fed a line, both the local papers are trying to create more drama to draw more attention to their papers...how many times will they both write about who fired Arians...seriously I think the world has moved on maybe they should too...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm sure several teams would love to have Wallace...but I don't know if anybody is eager to give up a first-round draft pick AND shell out $10 to $12 million per. Wally's good, but does any team think he's THAT good? We shall see.

Oviedo
04-14-2012, 05:21 PM
If Wallace is looking for $10M+ per year then I hope they do trade him

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/04/12/teams-interested-in-trading-for-wallace-but-will-steelers-listen/#.T4cMaWB7eCI.twitter

"and floating it out there at the absolute right time that Wallace doesn’t plan to attend offseason workouts during a year that the team hires a new offensive coordinator should perk up the ears of all the Steelers’ decision-makers."

That's just plain dumb. This isn't the Steelers FO's first rodeo. They know all the steps, and in what sequence. The only to-be-determined at this point is what the specific offers for Wallace will be. Everything else is just Kabuki Theater.

SteelAddicted
04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Well, Wallace has proven to have top 10 talent. Maybe a team would rather trade a first round pick for a player that has already shown he can be a young superstar. The Steelers might be thinking about Brown next year. I don't see the Steelers keeping both players with big contracts.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-14-2012, 11:46 PM
If Wallace is looking for $10M+ per year then I hope they do trade him

agreed.

i'm good up to about 8.

Sugar
04-14-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm OK with whatever the Steelers decide to pay him. They know their numbers and roster better than I do, so I really don't care. If they pay him $30 million a year and can find a way for us to win that way, so be it.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-15-2012, 06:07 AM
If no team is willing to trade a 1st rounder for him, and the steelers really have incentive to move him, what would you be willing to accept? 2nd & a 3rd? 2nd & 4th?

Shawn
04-15-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't see the Steelers accepting lower than a second.

Gus
04-15-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't see the Steelers accepting lower than a second.

I'd like to agree. Yet, I would have thought about the same of the Santonio situation just a few years back.

Steelgal
04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
The Holmes situation was different. He was one stupid decision away from being suspended an entire year. He had also posted some very inappropriate photos of himself to the web. All Wallace has done is states he wants to be paid, higher than most think he's worth. Completely different cases IMO.

AkronSteel
04-15-2012, 01:34 PM
The only way the Steelers trade Wallace is if a team completely blows them away with a trade offer!! Not that I wanna see him go anywhere but let's say the Stains offered #22 and #37......well then you really can't say no to that offer. Not that I would wanna see him go anywhere, especially Cleveland but a deal like that can't really be passed up. Anything short of that and the Steelers have Mike Wallace under their control till at least after 2013. There is plenty of time to get things worked out!!!

squidkid
04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
wouldnt we get a 3rd rounder the following year after we lose him to FA?
why would we take less now?

ikestops85
04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Where are the Deadskins when you need them? I still remember them offering 2 1st rounders for Ocho Stinko a few years ago ... and in typical Bungal fashion Mike Brown turned them down. :lol:

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Where are the Deadskins when you need them? I still remember them offering 2 1st rounders for Ocho Stinko a few years ago ... and in typical Bungal fashion Mike Brown turned them down. :lol:

Chad Johnson was a way much more complete, talented receiver in his prime than Wallace. Wallace just gets way over-rated because of the uniform he wears and that he runs fast.

Djfan
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM

This still makes me laugh. All sides are just dumb.

Steelersrock151
04-16-2012, 12:10 PM
If he must be traded (and I prefer that he stay with the team), St. Louis #33 pick and a 3rd or 4th rounder next year. With a night to think about who has unexpectedly fallen into the second round, someone will offer a 2nd and third for the pick. We get three picks for him, two of which will help immediately (mid 2nd/mid 3rd).

feltdizz
04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
With the Pens looking like they will be swept... expect a ton of stories, rumors and crazy talk from the beat writers in Pittsburgh.

ikestops85
04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
I think a lot of you guys severely underestimate the receiving ability of Mike Wallace. You think Wallace is just fast and that is the end of his talent. There have been many "fast" receivers who have tried to make it in this league and failed. Willie Reid ran a 4.3x but he didn't excel as a receiver. Chad Jackson ran something in the low 4.3s if I remember correctly and he is out of the NFL. Speed is a great thing to have but you have to know how to use it.

To retain Wallace we are going to have to give him a contract similar or a little higher than DeSean Jackson. I'd be happy if we could sign him to a contract that size.

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
I think a lot of you guys severely underestimate the receiving ability of Mike Wallace. You think Wallace is just fast and that is the end of his talent. There have been many "fast" receivers who have tried to make it in this league and failed. Willie Reid ran a 4.3x but he didn't excel as a receiver. Chad Jackson ran something in the low 4.3s if I remember correctly and he is out of the NFL. Speed is a great thing to have but you have to know how to use it.

To retain Wallace we are going to have to give him a contract similar or a little higher than DeSean Jackson. I'd be happy if we could sign him to a contract that size.

I think there is probably an equal number of who underestimate as there are those or overestimate Wallace's receiving abilities. The reality is that Wallace is not as good at some things than brown or Sanders. Those are route running, adjusting to the ball in the air, highpointing the ball when covered, etc. Wallace is good and hopefully he will get better for the Steelers but he is not yet a truly elite receiver.

The problem is he wants to get paid like he has already arrived. In the opinion of many fans he hasn't yet fully arrived and it doesn't appear like the Steelers think he has yet either. IMO it is highly unlikely that the Steelers commit 7-8% of their total salary cap to a single WR who may not even be our best when it is all said and done.

This is a big year for Wallace to prove it, unfortunately he doesn't seem like he anxious to come here and prove it. IMO, the Steelers will wait to see who has the better season between Wallace and Brown. Brown will be here performing and we aren't sure about Wallace. Not a strategy that works with the Steelers based on extensive history.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Should the Saints be shopping Drew Brees because he refuses to sign his franchise tag and won't be attending any of the offseason workouts until a long-term extension is signed?

ikestops85
04-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I think there is probably an equal number of who underestimate as there are those or overestimate Wallace's receiving abilities. The reality is that Wallace is not as good at some things than brown or Sanders. Those are route running, adjusting to the ball in the air, highpointing the ball when covered, etc. Wallace is good and hopefully he will get better for the Steelers but he is not yet a truly elite receiver.

The problem is he wants to get paid like he has already arrived. In the opinion of many fans he hasn't yet fully arrived and it doesn't appear like the Steelers think he has yet either. IMO it is highly unlikely that the Steelers commit 7-8% of their total salary cap to a single WR who may not even be our best when it is all said and done.

This is a big year for Wallace to prove it, unfortunately he doesn't seem like he anxious to come here and prove it. IMO, the Steelers will wait to see who has the better season between Wallace and Brown. Brown will be here performing and we aren't sure about Wallace. Not a strategy that works with the Steelers based on extensive history.

Just curious but do you think DeSean Jackson has arrived?

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Just curious but do you think DeSean Jackson has arrived?

Nope and the Eagles giving him what he is asking for is stupid too.

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Should the Saints be shopping Drew Brees because he refuses to sign his franchise tag and won't be attending any of the offseason workouts until a long-term extension is signed?

Brees has proven alot more than Wallace for alot longer, but you knew that.

Shawn
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Is Wallace elite? I think that depends on your definition. He puts up elite numbers, and does one thing really well...run fast. He takes the top off of coverage and forces D's to play deep. That is huge. Right now, it doesn't really matter that he is an average route runner with average hands, and really doesn't fight for balls...because he does that really fast running thing really well. But, it will. And that is my concern. Wallace is not a complete WR, and once he loses a step in speed, he will look very average unless he improves greatly. I want to keep him but I do not wish to spend 10 million per season to retain his services.

Sugar
04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Is Wallace elite? I think that depends on your definition. He puts up elite numbers, and does one thing really well...run fast. He takes the top off of coverage and forces D's to play deep. That is huge. Right now, it doesn't really matter that he is an average route runner with average hands, and really doesn't fight for balls...because he does that really fast running thing really well. But, it will. And that is my concern. Wallace is not a complete WR, and once he loses a step in speed, he will look very average unless he improves greatly. I want to keep him but I do not wish to spend 10 million per season to retain his services.

Then lets keep him for the next 5-6 years while he has the one thing and pay the man. Fast guys aren't known to slow down until they get into their 30's. Who knows, by then he might even be a more complete receiver? If not, it's cool, we can unload him then.

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Then lets keep him for the next 5-6 years while he has the one thing and pay the man. Fast guys aren't known to slow down until they get into their 30's. Who knows, by then he might even be a more complete receiver? If not, it's cool, we can unload him then.

One injury and he loses the one thing he has. That is why they can't overpay for him. If Brown loses a step he still has other skills he can rely on as a possession receiver. Not sure Wallace does.

Chadman
04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
It's one thing to say Wallace isn't in the same class as Larry Fitzgerald etc (despite the numbers saying he is...but Chadman digresses..), but can we please stop eluding to the possibility that Brown & Sanders are more 'complete' WR's until they at the least prove that they are in Wallace's league?

Antonio Brown had a very good half season to add to a somewhat promising rookie year. Wallace has 3 years of elite production to his name. Let's not overlook that when we use context. And to include Sanders at this point just looks like a vendetta against Wallace, as Sanders has proven NOTHING to back up any argument.

It's a similar argument to the "Redman is better than Mendenhall" thing that is running on this board. Redman has proven a capable back-up. Mendenhall has a couple of 1000 yard seasons to his name. Redman has a couple of 100 yard games to his name. Maybe, while we are at it, we should convince ourselves Jonathon Dwyer should be the starting RB- he has a 100 yard game to his name too..

There is something to be said for proven success...

Sugar
04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
One injury and he loses the one thing he has. That is why they can't overpay for him. If Brown loses a step he still has other skills he can rely on as a possession receiver. Not sure Wallace does. IMO, you don't go into a contract concerned about a possible injury from a player who isn't shown to be injury prone. Why sign anybody to a big deal then?

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Brees has proven alot more than Wallace for alot longer, but you knew that.

But what is worse? Brees threatening to not participate in any Saints workouts under a $14.4 million franchise tag (when his team needs its on-field leader most now that their head coach has been suspended for a year), or Wallace threatening to not participate in any Steelers workouts under a $2.74 million RFA tender?

Remember that the Saints have already put $60 million in Brees' bank account, while Wallace has earned a total of $1.74 million on his rookie contract for a 3rd round pick.