PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue North 3 round mock has Steelers going all offense

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
1.24 OT Jonathan Martin
2.56 OG Amini Silatolu
3.86 RB Isaiah Pead

http://www.gbnreport.com/2012projection.html (http://www.gbnreport.com/2012projection.html)

We've all talked about the need for our defense to get younger, and how we need to fortify up the middle especially (NT, ILB, S), but this type of two day haul could potentially do wonders for our offense.

A potential starting OL of Martin-Silatolu-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert is pretty impressive (granted, we wouldn't start the season with a couple of rookies protecting Ben's blind side). Silatolu, while rising up draft boards, should require an apprenticeship before he is ready for prime time, because it is a long way from Midwestern State to the NFL. Legursky, Foster, Essex, and Jon Scott provide depth.

At WR, we'd have Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. At RB, we'd have Redman to carry the majority of the load, Pead as a home run hitter, and eventually Mendenhall to take over the reins when he heals. At TE, we'd have Miller to carry the majority of the load, Pope as an extra blocker in short yardage situations, and eventually Saunders as a young pass catching threat once his suspension is up.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2012, 05:03 PM
i can see their reasoning

21st ranked unit vs. a yearly top ranked defense

Sugar
04-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Their reasoning seems to make sense. If our FO did it this way I wouldn't personally dig it, but they know a whole lot more about this than I do. If they think we don't need a top pick (1-3) for the middle of our D after this offseason, they must know something I don't.

calmkiller
04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I could live with that.

Oviedo
04-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Not suee I would buy that the first three picks would be offense. Definitely need the OL but if you look at the recent FA resignings of Cotchery, Essex, Johson (dumb) and the acquisition of Pope they definitely are tying to fix the offense.

I'm OK with OL in the first two picks but I would go ILB or NT with #3.

pfelix73
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
D in round 1. Hightower all the way. He fits our team perfectly. Hope no one jumps ahead of us to get him.

SteelBucks
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
D in round 1. Hightower all the way. He fits our team perfectly. Hope no one jumps ahead of us to get him.

I hope someone does. Nothing against Hightower but I'd prefer focusing on the OL.

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I hope someone does. Nothing against Hightower but I'd prefer focusing on the OL.

Can Hightower block and protect Ben? No, then sorry I'd go OL. Everyone does realize that if we lose Ben for an extended period it won't matter what meaningless "ranking" the defense has because we won't win.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Now Charlie Campbell from Walterfootball.com has given us the exact same 3 guys as GBN in the first 3 rounds, plus a CB and NT in 4 & 5.

1.24 OT Jonathan Martin
2.56 OG Amini Silatolu
3.86 RB Isaiah Pead
(http://www.gbnreport.com/2012projection.html)4.119 CB Chase Minnifield
5.159 NT Akiem Hicks

Me likey. Me likey a lot.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie.php

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
we might as well draft all offensive players, there is no way a rookie can get on the field anyway under LeBeau's complex defensive system. :stirpot

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Now Charlie Campbell from Walterfootball.com has given us the exact same 3 guys as GBN in the first 3 rounds, plus a CB and NT in 4 & 5.

1.24 OT Jonathan Martin
2.56 OG Amini Silatolu
3.86 RB Isaiah Pead
5.159 NT Akiem Hicks

I could also live with that. It past due helping the OL be something other than a collection of "blue light specials"

pfelix73
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Take out Martin and add Hightower in that 24 spot. Then that list would make sense and would be a good draft.

focosteeler
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM

1.24 OT Jonathan Martin
2.56 OG Amini Silatolu
3.86 RB Isaiah Pead
5.159 NT Akiem Hicks

:Agree I would be very happy with that draft!

Sugar
04-16-2012, 06:46 PM
IMO, it would be hard for the FO to screw up this draft (at least at the top). There are a lot of different directions we could go and it would make sense. I would be surprised though if they didn't address the middle of the D in the first three rounds.

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
IMO, it would be hard for the FO to screw up this draft (at least at the top). There are a lot of different directions we could go and it would make sense. I would be surprised though if they didn't address the middle of the D in the first three rounds.

:Agree

I would be very surprised if we didn't draft either an ILB or a NT in our first three selections.

pfelix73
04-16-2012, 11:18 PM
1 Dont'a Hightower ILB Alabama
2 Brandon Brooks OG/OT Miami, Ohio
3 Isaiah Pead RB Cincinnati
4 Trenton Robinson FS Mich St
5 Hebron Fangupo NT BYU
6 Kellen Moore QB Boise St
7a Cody Johnson FB Texas
7b Randy Bullock K Texas A&M
7c Toney Clemons WR Colorado
7d Jeremy Jones CB/S Wayne St

Good solid draft there- probably the best one I've seen yet on here. You hit all the areas of need and you don't repeat yourself with players practically at the same position... I might do something different in rounds 2 and 3. If Lamar Miller is there in round 2, I'd look at him, then look for a OG/C in rounds 3 or 4. Maybe a move up early in round 3 if a Silatulo is still on the board or maybe even consider the C from Ohio St somewhere in the round 4 range. He has considerable playing time as a college C. You have a QB in there and a K. Good draft, Hawaiian. Oh, and something I haven't seen in a while- a freaking FB! yay!

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Take out Martin and add Hightower in that 24 spot. Then that list would make sense and would be a good draft.

As we get closer I get a stronger feeling it won't be Hightower. I wouldn't at all be surprised that if they stay on the defensive side of the ball (which they shouldn't) we take Hightower's teammate Mark Barron ahead of him.

Sugar
04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
As we get closer I get a stronger feeling it won't be Hightower. I wouldn't at all be surprised that if they stay on the defensive side of the ball (which they shouldn't) we take Hightower's teammate Mark Barron ahead of him.

Well, the D needs to get younger. Either Barron or Hightower would be welcomed additions to me. Of course it would be funny to have two guys named Barron on the team- one with the first name and one with the last.

pfelix73
04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Barron would be a good pick there at 24, I just don't think he'll be there then. Some mocks have him going in the teens.

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Barron would be a good pick there at 24, I just don't think he'll be there then. Some mocks have him going in the teens.

:Agree I'd take Barron over Hightower at #24, but I don't see any way that Barron falls to us at this point. The only way he would have been available is if his sports hernia issue prevented him from working out for teams prior to the draft (a la Heath Miller in his draft year). But since Barron has been able to work out, and has looked pretty good, so someone in the teens is likely to nab him (possibly Cincy, if he gets by Dallas and the Jets).

I really don't like the Zeitler to #24 reach projections. Yes, we need interior OL, but if we can't move up to get someone with a first-round grade like DeCastro or Glenn, then take the best player at #24 and wait to get someone like Silatolu or Brooks later. Bad teams reach for need in round one...we take the best player, and that won't be Zeitler. If David DeCastro is Torry Holt and Cordy Glenn is David Boston, then Kevin Zeitler is Troy Edwards.