PDA

View Full Version : Teams Inquiring about Mike Wallace

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Per KFFL.

Also reporting that we re-signed David Johnson. Woo=hoo...

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
They've got less than a week to make an offer. Since the draft starts 2 weeks from today, we need a full week to decide whether or not we want to match their offer and keep him, or take their 1st round pick instead.

AB84
04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
They've got less than a week to make an offer. Since the draft starts 2 weeks from today, we need a full week to decide whether or not we want to match their offer and keep him, or take their 1st round pick instead.

Looks like they are looking for a trade, not a RFA signing. Teams don't seem willing to give up the first for him, so they are seeing if they can get him for less because there is a possible hold out coming.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Looks like they are looking for a trade, not a RFA signing. Teams don't seem willing to give up the first for him, so they are seeing if they can get him for less because there is a possible hold out coming.

$$$
Steelers may decide to trade him for a second or third rounder rather than to deal with a holdout.

TD386Steel
04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Report: Handful of teams interested in Mike Wallace trade Posted by Josh Alper on April 12, 2012, 2:58 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/mikewallace-500x302.jpg?w=250 Getty ImagesWhen Mike Wallace (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace) became a restricted free agent, his camp tried to spread the message that teams would be lining up to sign him because it would only take a first-round pick in compensation under the new CBA.
That didn’t work, but they aren’t through trying to get Wallace more money than he’s set to be paid under the tender placed on him by the Steelers earlier in the offseason. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that a handful of teams (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/04/12/teams-interested-in-trading-for-wallace-but-will-steelers-listen/#.T4cMaWB7eCI.twitter) are interested in making a trade for the disgruntled wideout and, as Kaboly points out, this is the next stage in Wallace’s strategy to get a big new contract.
Via a trade, teams could land Wallace without giving up a first-round pick while Wallace would still be able to get the long-term deal that he hasn’t been able to get from the Steelers. By making it known that he won’t sign his tender, Wallace is signaling that he’ll be a thorn in the side of the Steelers and that it might just be better for them to get what they can for him now than deal with the headaches before he leaves as an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season. That outcome seems likely given the tenor of negotiations thus far and the hints sent by Wallace’s camp about how much he’d like to be paid.
The Steelers made a somewhat similar deal with Santonio Holmes (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3635/santonio-holmes) before the 2010 Draft. Holmes had off-field issues, but, like Wallace, Holmes was entering the final year before unrestricted free agency when the Steelers dealt him for a fifth-round pick. Whether or not they would be willing to part with Wallace is unclear, although it is preferable to get something for him instead of watching him leave for nothing as a free agent a year from now.

Featured Video

On Thursday's Show:
CSN New England Patriots Insider Tom Curran

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd like to see Wallace stay. But he's nowhere as good as he seems to think he is, so I'm not optimistic that he will stay. We survived the loss of Plexipunk and Santokio...we'll survive the loss of Mr. "One-Trick Pony" as well...

Shoe
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
$$$
Steelers may decide to trade him for a second or third rounder rather than to deal with a holdout.

A 2nd and a 3rd would be quite fine with me. Bear in mind I'm not one of those who hates on Wallace because he's being something of a pill lately. I think he is a big weapon and would be a loss. But if we can gain a couple of good picks for him, I'm all for giving him his way (i.e. walking papers).

calmkiller
04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Hes not going anywhere for the next 2 seasons unless the steelers let him. If he holds out he won't get paid. If he stays out longer than 10 weeks he won't register for FA next year and he will have accomplished nothing. If he comes back this year, we can just Franchise tag him next year. Big drama over nothing.

TD386Steel
04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Whats the point of trading him for a 3rd round pick, dont we get that fo him if he leaves next year!!

squidkid
04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
please please please let some take this P.O.S off our team

Eddie Spaghetti
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM

good grief.

DukieBoy
04-12-2012, 06:04 PM
good grief.

x2 Wallace make our team better, unless he becomes a morale liability, or unless his contract results in not signing Antonio Brown.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Player with O utstanding S peed? ;)

NW Steeler
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
^^Nicely done^^

SuperSize
04-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't understand all of the angst & anger about Wallace not signing his tender. His contract situation is a negotiation between himself & the Steelers - if he signs the tender, he loses what minimal leverage he has. Plus, it's not like he's being militant about the whole thing, mouthing off in public like T.O. would.

I don't blame him for not signing the tender in April, over 3 months from the start of training camp. There's no sense in him risking injury during off-season activities, as an injury would further reduce his leverage.

Let this play out, there's plenty of time to get this done.

Pete

Sugar
04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't understand all of the angst & anger about Wallace not signing his tender. His contract situation is a negotiation between himself & the Steelers - if he signs the tender, he loses what minimal leverage he has. Plus, it's not like he's being militant about the whole thing, mouthing off in public like T.O. would.

I don't blame him for not signing the tender in April, over 3 months from the start of training camp. There's no sense in him risking injury during off-season activities, as an injury would further reduce his leverage.

Let this play out, there's plenty of time to get this done.

Pete

Ahhh, a voice of reason. We'll have none of that here Mister! :nono

There's nothing wrong with a kid fresh off of his first Pro Bowl trying to do the best he can for himself. It doesn't make him a bad Steeler or something.

AkronSteel
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Mike Wallace makes our team better. Mike Wallace makes Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, and Heath Miller better. Mike Wallace makes Ben Roethlisberger better. He takes the top off the defense. He opens up the underneath routes for all the other guys because teams have no choice but to roll coverage to Mike's side. He can score from anywhere on the field and that is an asset that not many teams have. He fell off in the second half last year but come on, he was playing with a QB who was playing on a broken frickin' ankle. Ben could put nothing on the deep balls and when he did he had limited accuracy. I agree that Mr. Wallace doesn't deserve Fitzgerald money but I would say something comparable to Vincent Jackson would be fair. The Steelers will find a way to keep both Wallace and Brown, they always find a way to keep the most important guys. This team is in somewhat of a transition but those are two that will lead the organization into the future. The WR's and Ben make this team a Super Bowl contender in a league that has turned more towards the pass. They need to find a couple of guys in the draft that can keep Ben upright and they will be as dangerous as anyone!!!

Oviedo
04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Mike Wallace makes our team better. Mike Wallace makes Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, and Heath Miller better. Mike Wallace makes Ben Roethlisberger better. He takes the top off the defense. He opens up the underneath routes for all the other guys because teams have no choice but to roll coverage to Mike's side. He can score from anywhere on the field and that is an asset that not many teams have. He fell off in the second half last year but come on, he was playing with a QB who was playing on a broken frickin' ankle. Ben could put nothing on the deep balls and when he did he had limited accuracy. I agree that Mr. Wallace doesn't deserve Fitzgerald money but I would say something comparable to Vincent Jackson would be fair. The Steelers will find a way to keep both Wallace and Brown, they always find a way to keep the most important guys. This team is in somewhat of a transition but those are two that will lead the organization into the future. The WR's and Ben make this team a Super Bowl contender in a league that has turned more towards the pass. They need to find a couple of guys in the draft that can keep Ben upright and they will be as dangerous as anyone!!!

Wallace can't throw the ball to himself. He has flaws as a WR. Wanting Top 3 WR money is nuts since that is in the range of what franchise QBs make. He doesn't deserve it.

AkronSteel
04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Wallace can't throw the ball to himself. He has flaws as a WR. Wanting Top 3 WR money is nuts since that is in the range of what franchise QBs make. He doesn't deserve it.

I agree that he has flaws, he needs to do a better job of going after the ball in the air and he could develop more consistent hands but saying that, the numbers he has put up speak to the fact that he can be one of the games greatest's if he continues to make himself better. Some of us forget that the guy is only in his third year and has not even entered his prime.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-12-2012, 09:54 PM
holy over-reaction batman!!!

you would think wallace tried to steal old man rooneys checkbook.

aggiebones
04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
NOONE is going to pay what he is asking. Its all staging for a solid offer from the Steelers. He knows they have him by the balls. He won't get his top dollar this year. He can sign a good contract now or risk it. Or rot for TWO years.
They don't bend over for players. They will NOT trade him for less than a first rounder.

Chadman
04-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Well, it's not Chadman's money to play with- so if he asks for $120 million, and the Steelers give it to him- fantastic. He gets rich, the Steelers remain as dangerous through the air as anybody- happy days.

The argument as to if he 'deserves' it or not is moot- if that is the market, then that's the price. If he finds nobody to pay him that, then that's not the market & he'll get his value reduced.

This 'hate' towards him, or the argument as to his worth is irrelevant. He's not taking YOUR money. He's not even asking for YOUR money. So why take it personally? Why get angry with him? It's not like he hasn't been worth the contract he DID play under.

Chadman would hate to see him line up against our CB's on gameday.

AB84
04-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Well, it's not Chadman's money to play with- so if he asks for $120 million, and the Steelers give it to him- fantastic. He gets rich, the Steelers remain as dangerous through the air as anybody- happy days.

The argument as to if he 'deserves' it or not is moot- if that is the market, then that's the price. If he finds nobody to pay him that, then that's not the market & he'll get his value reduced.

This 'hate' towards him, or the argument as to his worth is irrelevant. He's not taking YOUR money. He's not even asking for YOUR money. So why take it personally? Why get angry with him? It's not like he hasn't been worth the contract he DID play under.

LOL he's not taking "our" money, but he's taking up valuable cap space that would lessen the likelyhood of signing guys like AB,Sanders,Pouncey and some of our other young guys to long term contracts. If it were baseball you would have a point.

AB84
04-13-2012, 01:43 AM
I agree that he has flaws, he needs to do a better job of going after the ball in the air and he could develop more consistent hands but saying that, the numbers he has put up speak to the fact that he can be one of the games greatest's if he continues to make himself better. Some of us forget that the guy is only in his third year and has not even entered his prime.

There's guys in high school that can go up and high point a ball better, in fact, I don't think I've seen an NFL reciever worse, half the time the ball is underthrown he keeps running with his breadbasket hands as if the ball is magicaly going to regain some velocity. He's not going to be able to fix that imo. Haley will no doubt work on that if he sticks around, but you either have that kind of cordination or you don't. MW will never be a top 5 wr, regaurdless of what the "stats" say. I don't want him for over 9 mil per, he's not worth it...and once he gets injured and loses some of that speed, we have a very average WR taking up tons of cap space, ala Javon Walker. No thanks.

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 07:52 AM

The market for a custom built sports car may be for $500,000 a copy but that doesn't mean you need one to successfully live your life and get from poiint A to B. Same with Wallace, we don't need that specific "sports car" to be successful because we can get lots of other modes of transportation at a much more reasonable price just like we can get many more effective WRs for far less than Wallace wants.

Chadman
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
The market for a custom built sports car may be for $500,000 a copy but that doesn't mean you need one to successfully live your life and get from poiint A to B. Same with Wallace, we don't need that specific "sports car" to be successful because we can get lots of other modes of transportation at a much more reasonable price just like we can get many more effective WRs for far less than Wallace wants.

True Ovi...that said, you can't just use any old motor oil to get that sports car working at it's best...

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2012, 10:34 AM

When negotiations start, the player inevitably asks for the moon, while the team tries to get him on the cheap. Over time, the ultimate number lands somewhere in the middle. Wallace and his agent would be stupid if he weren't asking for top dollar at this stage of the game.

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 11:36 AM
True Ovi...that said, you can't just use any old motor oil to get that sports car working at it's best...

That's the problem with those high end, high cost vehicles. The maintenance costs can be prohibitive. Same with a receiver whose game is totally built on speed and lacks other critical key capabilities. One hammy tweak and the value of that fast WR drops much more than a lesser cost, more complete WR with a more complete skillset who can adjust and adapt.

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 11:38 AM
When negotiations start, the player inevitably asks for the moon, while the team tries to get him on the cheap. Over time, the ultimate number lands somewhere in the middle. Wallace and his agent would be stupid if he weren't asking for top dollar at this stage of the game.

But the middle here given the ridiculous amount we hear Wallce asking for could result in one WR eating up 7-10% of your total salary cap. Not sure that is a wise investment, especially when that WR "vanished" the last half of last season.

feltdizz
04-13-2012, 02:32 PM
But the middle here given the ridiculous amount we hear Wallce asking for could result in one WR eating up 7-10% of your total salary cap. Not sure that is a wise investment, especially when that WR "vanished" the last half of last season.

It really doesn't matter where Wallace starts because the Steelers are starting at 2.5 mill or whatever the tender is...

It's a "need a dime, ask for a dollar" kind of deal....

Flasteel
04-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Starting high in negotiations is a perfectly normal tactic, but what Wallace is doing goes well beyond that. First his camp "leaks" the word that he is looking for Larry Fitzgerald money. To my knowledge, the only public comment Wallace makes about this news is a cryptic tweet that says not to believe everything you read...not exactly a denial and certainly not a clarification of the facts. If true, it violates the spirit of starting high in negotiations. It's the type of starting point that makes the other party accuse you of being high.

Now, Shefter is spoon-fed information that Wallace will not sign his tender and plans to forgo all off-season activities, absent a long-term contract. Whether this is actually his intention, or he is just publicly posturing with the media, it paints him to be an idiot of epic proportions. How does he think the franchise is going to feel about this position? How does he think the fans would respond? Other potential teams? He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If you want to [undeservedly] shoot for the moon in negotiations and/or threaten to take your ball and go home, then at least keep it in-house. Otherwise, all you do is alienate those around you. I think we can see the evidence of that on this board already. Hell, I can tell you straight-up that I would take a 2nd round pick for him at this point...I couldn't imagine saying that just a few weeks ago.

steelz09
04-13-2012, 03:27 PM
The Pats get 1st rounders for washed up players.

Certainly a team will give us a 1st rounder for Wallace. If so, I'd take the pick if it's clear Wallace & the Steelers are way off in negotiations.

steelz09
04-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Alshon Jefferies would too :)

steelz09
04-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Indirectly, these players are asking for your money. The players are paid by the franchise and their owners. It's the fan base that provides the income for those franchises and likewise owners. Without fans, the NFL and likewise the franchises wouldn't exist.

Crash
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
If the Steelers are going to listen they need to allow Wallace and his agent to talk to teams themselves.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2012, 03:56 PM
If the Steelers are going to listen they need to allow Wallace and his agent to talk to teams themselves.

Wallace is a restricted free agent...his agent can talk to any team he wants (for 5 more days, at least).

AkronSteel
04-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Alshon Jefferies would too :)

You're talking about a player that hasn't even played one down of preseason NFL football, and had plenty of issues at South Carolina!!! Was he not suspended from his team and did he not show up to the combine out of shape?? Yea, that sounds like exactly the player I want to help us get back to the Super Bowl!!

:roll:

Chadman
04-13-2012, 09:36 PM
That's the problem with those high end, high cost vehicles. The maintenance costs can be prohibitive. Same with a receiver whose game is totally built on speed and lacks other critical key capabilities. One hammy tweak and the value of that fast WR drops much more than a lesser cost, more complete WR with a more complete skillset who can adjust and adapt.

Now you see? There's the difference between you & Chadman...the sports car isn't Wallace, it's the Steelers offense...Wallace is part of the fuel...call him high-octane...where a guy like Cotchery is more your premium budget fuel..

steelz09
04-13-2012, 10:17 PM
You're talking about a player that hasn't even played one down of preseason NFL football, and had plenty of issues at South Carolina!!! Was he not suspended from his team and did he not show up to the combine out of shape?? Yea, that sounds like exactly the player I want to help us get back to the Super Bowl!!

:roll:

Jefferies doesn't have character issues. And didn't he run in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 range in the 40 at his pro day. Jeffery registered a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and 36.5-inch vertical leap. He measured at 6-foot-3, 213-pounds.

If he is out of shape, I'd love to see his #'s when he's in shape.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why some believe the "leaks" are coming from the wallace camp.

the only place I have read that he wants fitz money was a report out of the bay area.