5. Nate Potter - OT - Boise State
6. Devon Wylie - WR - Fresno State
7a. Coty Sensanbaugh - CB - Clemson
7b. Michael Smith - RB - Utah State
7c. Blair Walsh - K - Georgia
7d. Tyler Shoemaker - WR - Boise State

Prowler
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I would also try to sign the following players if they go undrafted. QB - Kellen Moore, DT -Akiem Hicks, CB -Chaz Powell, Adonis Thomas - RB and Brian Stahovich - Punter.

Dee Dub
04-12-2012, 05:56 PM
1. Donta Hightower - ILB - Alabama
2. Kevin Zeitler - OG - Wisconsin
3. Josh Chapman - NT - Alabama
4. Cameron Johnson - OLB - Virginia
5. Nate Potter - OT - Boise State
6. Devon Wylie - WR - Fresno State
7a. Coty Sensanbaugh - CB - Clemson
7b. Michael Smith - RB - Utah State
7c. Blair Walsh - K - Georgia
7d. Tyler Shoemaker - WR - Boise State

Now that is a pretty solid draft. ;)

We agree on several players.

Steelersrock151
04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
if thats day 1 and 2 of the draft, its already a success.

Shoe
04-13-2012, 05:59 PM
It's very likely that first 3 picks would equal zero Pro Bowls...

Not to say that they won't be good football players. I don't see any impact players in that mix. Bear in mind, I'm normally in favor of drafting a "solid" guy over a more spectacular one. But given our roster, we need an infusion.

Drafting a guy like Hightower (who may become a solid pro) is like drafting an 8-year vet. We need guys who play with abandon... that's partly why we logged so few turnovers last year. In contrast, take a guy like Mychal Kendricks. He not only was the Pac-12 DPOY, he logged best athletic times at the combine. When he decides to go, he GOES. He doesn't tiptoe around... he's a blur to the ball (i.e. like Polamalu).

I don't like the Hightower pick at 24.

NW Steeler
04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I dont think Hightower will be the pick. If the player they want is not sitting there at #24, I can see them trading down and picking up Zietler or even Silatolu.

Sugar
04-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I saw an article today that had us grabbing Zietler in the first because he wouldn't be around by the time we picked in the second. A reach, but one the author thought we needed to make.

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I saw an article today that had us grabbing Zietler in the first because he wouldn't be around by the time we picked in the second. A reach, but one the author thought we needed to make.

I've said many times that it isn't a reach if you are getting the player you want when you can get them. The arbitrary ratings mean nothing its about getting who can help your team the most when you can.

steeler_george
04-14-2012, 06:44 AM
I've said many times that it isn't a reach if you are getting the player you want when you can get them. The arbitrary ratings mean nothing its about getting who can help your team the most when you can.

I would love us to trade back in the second round, especially with the Rams 33 and 39, maybe give them additional picks our 3 or 4th to work.

and selected:

2a) Adams or Zietler or even trade back again to gain more picks and still lock down Zietler ( imagine 4 picks in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd)
2b) Zeitler, Massie, Osemele, Silatulo, Sanders
2c) Kendricks or trade back in the 3rd
3) Brooks/Chapman

Chadman
04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
You wouldn't believe it, but Hightower is actually growing as a greater possibility for Chadman as we get closer. Not for his athletic ability, which is fine (but contains potential flaws) but because of who he is, and the role he'd be expected to fill. Remembering that it's Farrior's role that needs replacing- the signal caller, the defensive captain, the team leader- those are hightower's 3 greatest skills in Chadman's opinion. That, and having re-watched some combine tape, saw him interviewed & he seemed a very down-to-Earth type of guy.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Too many Urbik flashbacks (and that was only a 3rd round pick)...I highly doubt the powers that be will be gung ho about using our 1st round pick on another tough, blue collar player from Wisconsin with limited athleticism.

Sugar
04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Too many Urbik flashbacks (and that was only a 3rd round pick)...I highly doubt the powers that be will be gung ho about using our 1st round pick on another tough, blue collar player from Wisconsin with limited athleticism.

Let's hope you're right! I'd much rather our #1 be a talent pick.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Let's hope you're right! I'd much rather our #1 be a talent pick.

I want a big ugly in the first round myself...just not a big ugly in the first with a mid-second round grade. If there are no big uglies available that represent value at #24, then we should go BPA.

Dee Dub
04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
You wouldn't believe it, but Hightower is actually growing as a greater possibility for Chadman as we get closer. Not for his athletic ability, which is fine (but contains potential flaws) but because of who he is, and the role he'd be expected to fill. Remembering that it's Farrior's role that needs replacing- the signal caller, the defensive captain, the team leader- those are hightower's 3 greatest skills in Chadman's opinion. That, and having re-watched some combine tape, saw him interviewed & he seemed a very down-to-Earth type of guy.

Agreed whole heartidly! It is one of the biggest reasons I have been in favor of Hightower for the past 6 months. Some get so tripped up over what appears to be his flaws yet dont understand the actual position he will fill. If you focus on his lack of coverage skills you are ignoring the fact that he will play in a 3-4 zone blitz. He will rarely ever be asked to cover one on one. Those situations will primarily go to Lawrence Timmons. Hightower will cover in a zone more times than not and like he did in Alabam's 3-4 zone blitz, he will be more than adequate at it. But as you point out Chadman, his leadership skills, ability to captain a defense, his ability to make calls/audible and diagnose pre-snap, along with his overal character is going to outweigh any flaws that really dont pertain all that much to the defense he will play in for the Steelers.

The number one opponet for the Steelers and the road to any success they have will have to go through the Baltimore Ravens. Their number one offensive weapon and how they are built offensively goes through Ray Rice. Donta Hightower can counter that. He can flat out blow up the inside.

And I disagree with those who dont see him as a future pro bowler. You guys are in for an huge eye opener. Watch.

pfelix73
04-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Finally. Yay for Chadman. Some folks seeing what others are seeing as well. You can add this one to your list too- He's a class act kind of guy, who will do good things in the community off the field as well. Ala Hines Ward. He's been talked about as this kind of person.... This type of player means a lot to the FO of the Steelers. The ONLY player I see them taking over Hightower would be Glenn if he falls. But personally, if the 2 were both there, I'd still take Hightower...He's a leader...

And yea, this predicting who is a future pro-bowler, etc is a way bit premature....Ya'll have a crystal ball? If so, can I borrow it the next time the lottery gets up over a few hundred million? :D

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Agreed whole heartidly! It is one of the biggest reasons I have been in favor of Hightower for the past 6 months. Some get so tripped up over what appears to be his flaws yet dont understand the actual position he will fill. If you focus on his lack of coverage skills you are ignoring the fact that he will play in a 3-4 zone blitz. He will rarely ever be asked to cover one on one. Those situations will primarily go to Lawrence Timmons. Hightower will cover in a zone more times than not and like he did in Alabam's 3-4 zone blitz, he will be more than adequate at it. But as you point out Chadman, his leadership skills, ability to captain a defense, his ability to make calls/audible and diagnose pre-snap, along with his overal character is going to outweigh any flaws that really dont pertain all that much to the defense he will play in for the Steelers.

The number one opponet for the Steelers and the road to any success they have will have to go through the Baltimore Ravens. Their number one offensive weapon and how they are built offensively goes through Ray Rice. Donta Hightower can counter that. He can flat out blow up the inside.

And I disagree with those who dont see him as a future pro bowler. You guys are in for an huge eye opener. Watch.

In addition to Ray Rice twice per year, we might also have to deal with Trent Richardson twice a year if Cleveland pulls the trigger on him at #4 as many expect. And with an OL featuring Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, etc. they may be able to open some holes for that young beast.

Chadman
04-15-2012, 02:14 AM

The next, and likely last, version of the Chadman Mock Draft might just feature Mr Hightower...you never know. The guy Chadman has penciled in for Round 2 will likely send a few on here into cardiac arrest, however...we'll see.....

Shawn
04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
1,2, and 3 is very solid. While I'm not a huge Hightower fan, I think he will be solid. Zeitler will be a steal if he drops to us in the second and the same with Chapman in the third.

pfelix73
04-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I read somewhere that Zeitler is a great run blocker but needs work as a pass blocker. He might not be the OG we are looking for after all.. When the Steelers coaches were attending Ohio State's Pro day and everyone hinted at them looking at Adams, could they have really been looking at someone else? Michael Brewster as a C/G for depth? 4- year starter, projected for rounds 3 or 4. Seems to be a solid OL that could be gotten in a later round. Just a thought.....

MeetJoeGreene
04-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Dude. Epic Mock Draft! That is BEAST!