PDA

View Full Version : Wallace will not sign tender...Wants long term deal or he plans on sitting out

SteelCrazy
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-11/pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-restricted-free-agent-contract-tender

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has no plans to sign his contract tender, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.
Wallace, a restricted free agent, received a tender from the Steelers of $2.742 million earlier in the offseason.
http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/0/63/2196628/88323-330-0.jpgPittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has no plans to sign his contract tender, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. (AP Photo)

The 25-year-old will sit out the teamís offseason activities if he doesnít get a new deal, according to Schefter. The two sides have had a hard time finding common ground on a contract, Schefter reported.
Last season, Wallace recorded 72 receptions (a career high), 1,193 receiving yards and eight touchdowns for Pittsburgh en route to his first Pro Bowl selection.
The Steelers did reach an agreement on a two-year deal to retain wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery. He is expected to compete with Emmanuel Sanders for the No. 3 receiver spot.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-11/pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-restricted-free-agent-contract-tender#ixzz1rmaDsrbP

squidkid
04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
hmmm, where are all the wallace lovers that talk about what a great team guy that he is?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
won't work.

the steelers have all the leverage.

BURGH86STEEL
04-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't blame Wallace. Millions of dollars are at stake.

squidkid
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM

f wallace. play by the rules and make your money next year. playing hardball aint gonna get it done.

Crash
04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
He's a free agent. Not a big deal. Yet. It's not like he had a SIGNED contract and refused to go to work.

Snatch98
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't think it's a big deal either, he'll sign at some point. What if he signs that tender and gets hurt? God forbid obviously but say it's a injury that may take away some of his speed. He'd be screwed. I don't blame him for wanting a long term deal and believe the Steelers will get one hashed out.

steelz09
04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I had a feeling that these contract negotiations are not going well.

steelz09
04-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm sure Wallace was offered a long-term deal. But, since it wasn't Fitzgerald money, he won't sign it :stirpot

Chadman
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Sounds like agent-speak...chances are the deal is being worked out & the agent is making a play for a bit more money on top.

That said, great reporting. Zero evidence, no quotes- just Schefter's opinion from the look of it.

SteelBucks
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Advice to Wallace, don't play hardball with the Rooney's. Ask Mike Merriweather.

steelblood
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
This is what happened with Vincent Jackson. But, he reported eventually. He didn't really have a choice.
The problem for Wallace is that if he doesn't report by a certain point and sign his tender, he remains a RFA for another season. Steelers hold all the cards here (unless some other team offers him a deal soon).

costanza2k1
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm getting pretty nervous hearing about his sulking in the locker room when the attention starting going to Antonio Brown...heard that from Douchette and a couple of beat guys...do we really want that??? I'm starting to wonder if all WRs are like that these days...ugh

aggiebones
04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Not abnormal. Don't get panties in a wad yet.

Hines said similar before his second to last deal. Though we haven't had a holdout in a while, we will not cave. For one, we are kinda set at WR. Wallace obviously ups that, but we have enough there to survive. Yes, we'll have to add someone as a 3rd/4th guy. Just pretend Wallace hurt his hammy.
This will however ruin him, possibly permanently. All the WRs that hold out end up garbage. He needs to sign the tender on the promise to negotiate. He cannot expect huge money. If he pushes it, he'll end up losing almost 2 years of money and end up a cancer like VJackson did.

BURGH86STEEL
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
f wallace. play by the rules and make your money next year. playing hardball aint gonna get it done.
I doubt you would feel that way if it were your millions at stake. There is nothing in the rules that states players can't hold out. Just like there's nothing in the rules that states teams can't cut players before contracts are fulfilled. It's business, not personal.

SteelBucks
04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I doubt you would feel that way if it were your millions at stake. There is nothing in the rules that states players can't hold out. Just like there's nothing in the rules that states teams can't cut players before contracts are fulfilled. It's business, not personal.

Let him hold out. Let's see who blinks first...it won't be the Steelers.

Shoe
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Advice to Wallace, don't play hardball with the Rooney's. Ask Mike Merriweather.

That what I was gonna say... he's messing with the wrong front-office if he thinks this is the way to go about things. Remember Rod Woodson as a rookie held-out well into the season, trying to play hard-ball with the Steelers. It's just something that the Steelers have never done.

I can understand his wanting a new contract, and probably this type of thing has worked for others (with other teams). It doesn't work on the Steelers Mike.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2012, 02:38 AM
hines thought him well

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-12-2012, 02:57 AM
A little smoke but no fire as of yet. There is always a way to structure contracts so that he can get as much money as the team is willing to pay him.

calmkiller
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
This is what happened with Vincent Jackson. But, he reported eventually. He didn't really have a choice.
The problem for Wallace is that if he doesn't report by a certain point and sign his tender, he remains a RFA for another season. Steelers hold all the cards here (unless some other team offers him a deal soon).

They have until the 20th to offer him a deal (another team) so he has 1 week. After that he is a Steeler, unless we trade him.

Hines tried this and he had a good relationship with the FO, and was the best receiver in steelers history. It didn't get him anywhere.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Let him hold out. Let's see who blinks first...it won't be the Steelers.

It's fine if Wallace eventually blinks. He will want to get paid. That doesn't mean that Wallace has to participate in activities prior to the season that risk injury. Wallace may have some leverage by holding out. I don't know if a new offense with new terminology will be installed. Wallace will be behind by the time the season starts if a new offense is installed. Not having one of the premier deep threats in the game up to speed early in the season could hurt the Steelers offense.

MeetJoeGreene
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
I have a bad feeling about this. I hope that I am wrong.. but I don't see the 2 sides coming together for a long term deal. So at most he is ours this year and next (franchised).

If he can help us win a SB in the next 2 years and then he is gone.. it is worth it. Otherwise, I would rather someone sign him and get the first rounder.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Completely different situations. Merriweather had a signed contract through the 1989 season, and he didn't show up for camp in 1988 because he wanted more money. Wallace has no contract right now.

SteelBucks
04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
It's fine if Wallace eventually blinks. He will want to get paid. That doesn't mean that Wallace has to participate in activities prior to the season that risk injury. Wallace may have some leverage by holding out. I don't know if a new offense with new terminology will be installed. Wallace will be behind by the time the season starts if a new offense is installed. Not having one of the premier deep threats in the game up to speed early in the season could hurt the Steelers offense.

IMO, if history is any indication, Wallace has absolutely no leverage. Holding out will hurt him more than the Steelers.

SteelBucks
04-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Completely different situations. Merriweather had a signed contract through the 1989 season, and he didn't show up for camp in 1988 because he wanted more money. Wallace has no contract right now.

He has no contract but he is tied to the organization for one more season. Under the new CBA, Wallace has to play next season to reach unrestricted free agency. He doesn't gain anything by not signing the tender and sitting at home.

The Steelers are not going to sit around and wait for Wallace. They'll lock up Brown long term instead.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
He has no contract but he is tied to the organization for one more season. Under the new CBA, Wallace has to play next season to reach unrestricted free agency. He doesn't gain anything by not signing the tender and sitting at home.

The Steelers are not going to sit around and wait for Wallace. They'll lock up Brown long term instead.

I believe he has to play 6 games to earn another accrued season toward free agency...that is why Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill sat out the first 10 weeks of the season a year ago.

What likely happens is that he boycotts minicamps and OTA's, then signs a long-term deal in the summer prior to training camp. After all , both sides want this to happen.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
We know that the team will not negotiate with players who have a signed contract yet do not show up - Hines walked and was told that the team would only work on a new contract when he returned - but with Wallace not currently having a contract I wonder if they will require him to report before entering discussions.

steelz09
04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
We may have all the leverage but is it really worth it to have him only this year if the Steelers can't agree to a deal?

I'd rather get the 1st rounder now than lose him and receive nothing in return next year. Alshon Jefferies anybody? :)

feltdizz
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm not mad at him for wanting a long term deal but man... you gotta love WR's...

ikestops85
04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
IMO, if history is any indication, Wallace has absolutely no leverage. Holding out will hurt him more than the Steelers.

It didn't seem to hurt Vincent Jackson. ;)

Steelgal
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Something tells me between an agent who is all about getting top dollar for his client and Wallace who seems to have a pretty big ego anyway, this may not end well. I hope they re-sign Wallace, but he's not worth what he thinks and doesn't deserve to be paid as such. Wonder if nothing gets done by draft day, and it's likely it won't, if they address WR in the draft? With the Cotchery signing I'd think it is less likely, but Wallace and Cotchery are different types of receivers.

pittpete
04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Its a business
Its all about the benjamins
Youd do the same thing if your agent told you to
If Wallace wants to be a Steeler he will be a Steeler
If not,we get to see what Brown is really made of.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I hope someone takes this mess off our hands and we get to address multiple positions in the first round.

We lost Plax & kept on ticking. We lost Holmes and kept on ticking. We can lose Wallace, and keep on ticking.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch all of the sudden? It's April. There have been no minicamps yet. No OTA's. No training camp sessions. No preseason games. No actual games. What has he actually missed? Where is this huge distraction? Kevin Colbert and Omar Khan know what they are doing.

Oviedo
04-12-2012, 09:18 PM

I will blame Wallace for being stupid. The Steelers have all the cards. He can't sit out and achieve anything to his benefit. It is a mindless, stupid gesture and nothing more.

ikestops85
04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
I will blame Wallace for being stupid. The Steelers have all the cards. He can't sit out and achieve anything to his benefit. It is a mindless, stupid gesture and nothing more.

Do you really think this is coming from Wallace or his agent? I'm hoping it's from his agent.

Sugar
04-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Do you really think this is coming from Wallace or his agent? I'm hoping it's from his agent.

BINGO! Wallace is likely deferring all of this to his agent, who is the one that is actually talking to the Steelers. Nothing has been missed yet (as was mentioned above). Relax, the parties involved will deal with this to hopefully come to a mutually beneficial conclusion.

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
BINGO! Wallace is likely deferring all of this to his agent, who is the one that is actually talking to the Steelers. Nothing has been missed yet (as was mentioned above). Relax, the parties involved will deal with this to hopefully come to a mutually beneficial conclusion.

You're probably right but that just still makes Wallace stupid because he should know that the Steelers don't lose these types of issues. So he allows his agent, who works for him not the other way around, to create bad blood with his employers and the fans. What benefit is there to that? How does that come out as a positive in any possible way?

Athletes who act like ostriches with their heads buried in the sand and let their employees (i.e. their agents) act independently are IMO STUPID and COWARDS!!!!

Take charge and talk for yourself.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
have you guys seen what happens when athletes speak for themselves?

its usually not good.

this is all just part of the process.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
have you guys seen what happens when athletes speak for themselves?

Yeah, it's called Twitter. Ugh...

Speaking of which, thank God our team isn't owned by the Irsay family. That putz sounds like a 12 year old girl on Twitter.

feltdizz
04-13-2012, 12:25 PM
You're probably right but that just still makes Wallace stupid because he should know that the Steelers don't lose these types of issues. So he allows his agent, who works for him not the other way around, to create bad blood with his employers and the fans. What benefit is there to that? How does that come out as a positive in any possible way?

Athletes who act like ostriches with their heads buried in the sand and let their employees (i.e. their agents) act independently are IMO STUPID and COWARDS!!!!

Take charge and talk for yourself.

That's like telling a defendant to fire his Lawyer and represent himself....

The agent works for Wallace and if he is acting irrational Wallace can fire him but more than likely Wallace wants exactly what his agent is demanding. (We all know they start high)

Oviedo
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
That's like telling a defendant to fire his Lawyer and represent himself....

The agent works for Wallace and if he is acting irrational Wallace can fire him but more than likely Wallace wants exactly what his agent is demanding. (We all know they start high)

If you watched your lawyer pissing off the judge and the jury would you not say something to him??????

There is starting high and then there is starting at ridiculous. You can create gaps in contract negotiations that can't be resolved.

SteelBucks
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Starting high is one thing, starting unreasonably high is another.

feltdizz
04-13-2012, 01:17 PM
If you watched your lawyer pissing off the judge and the jury would you not say something to him??????

There is starting high and then there is starting at ridiculous. You can create gaps in contract negotiations that can't be resolved.

I would say something to my lawyer if he was saying a bunch of things I didn't talk about or agree with but I don't think that is the case with Wallace.

Wallace thinks he is worth Fitz money... and the best thing about having an agent is throwing them under the bus when negotiations sour.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Starting high is one thing, starting unreasonably high is another.

His agent's reasoning for demanding Fitz money is that Wallace's first 3 years in the NFL were every bit as good production-wise (if not better than) the first 3 seasons from Fitz, Calvin, or Andre (did you realize that Mike Wallace has the 2nd most receiving yards in NFL history after 3 seasons?). That's not unreasonable as a starting point (as an ending point, certainly...that's unreasonable...but we aren't close to an ending point let...we've still got several months til Latrobe). The team will counter by stating the Fitz and Calvin did not get those obscene cap-crippling contracts until they had multiple seasons with double digit TD's in a row. And the dance will continue like this until we eventually arrive at a happy medium.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Unless he does something ridiculous like tweet that fans should go kill themselves, there is no long term bad blood. Now that Hines is retired, how much of his legacy is the holdout of '05? Produce on the field and all will be forgotten - as long as he does not take it too far. Fail on the field and fans will tear him apart whether he held out or not.