PDA

View Full Version : Cotchery Resigns 2 year deal

calmkiller
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Great Signing. Vet receiver we needed.

Absolutely love #Steelers (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Steelers) re-signing Cotchery. Thought wait until Apr 20. 2-yr deal better than 3-yr I thought it would take. Guess $3M

Steelers Depot ‏ @Steelersdepot (https://twitter.com/#%21/Steelersdepot) Cotchery back in the fold with two year deal #steelers (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23steelers)

BURGH86STEEL
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Solid depth with experience.

costanza2k1
04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
excellent news!

SteelBucks
04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
HUGE! Especially with Hines retiring and Sanders' injury history.

grotonsteel
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Good News. I think Steelers needed a veteran WR.

phillyesq
04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
This is a very good signing. Of the remaining receivers out there, Cotchery was probably the best of the bunch. Having a reliable veteran as injury insurance for Sanders, and in 4 WR sets as a guy who can move the chains, is a nice asset. It certainly isn't a flashy move, but this is the type of underrated signing that contributes to the Steelers' success.

Sugar
04-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm loving this news. Glad to hear he's staying. He really seems to solidify an otherwise young WR corps.

TD386Steel
04-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I like it, lets hope that Sanders stays healthy though.

RuthlessBurgher
04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jerricho+Cotchery+Cleveland+Browns+v+Pittsburgh+5v xC7E5JmN8l.jpghttp://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jerricho+Cotchery+Cleveland+Browns+v+Pittsburgh+V1 JmsMec-kql.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jerricho+Cotchery+Cleveland+Browns+v+Pittsburgh+Bg uZOqz6CiCl.jpg

Yeah, bay-bee...great news...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Great news but kind of surprising. With all of the teams needing WR help out there, how is it that this guy is available to come back as our #4 WR? Both in terms of PT and money value.

RuthlessBurgher
04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Great news but kind of surprising. With all of the teams needing WR help out there, how is it that this guy is available to come back as our #4 WR? Both in terms of PT and money value.

He hated the locker room atmosphere with the Jets and loved the locker room atmosphere with the Steelers. Why risk going someplace new where it may be dysfunctional again and you'll be miserable, when you already know what you have here (and like it). It's not as if he would be any team's top option anyway (or likely anyone's #2 either). So if you are deciding whether to go somewhere else and be their #3, or stay here and be our #4 (which might be a de facto #3 judging by how often Manny Sanders is injured), he decided to stay where he was happy.

Slapstick
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Good move for both parties...

If you're curious as to why Cotchery would agree to be a Steeler, lok no further than Chris Hoke's quote when he resigned with the Steelers in 2007:

"I feel like they (the Steelers) respect what I do," Hoke told the Valley Independent of Monessen, one of the few newspapers that bothered to interview him after his signing. "It would be fun to start, but the thought of going somewhere else -- you might not mesh with the coaching staff or the players or the organization, and the next thing you know you're out the door in a year or two."

NottinghamForest_UK
04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Buzzing, Excellent news!

aggiebones
04-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Teams know that taking Steelers doesn't work out for ANYONE these days. We actually have a team and each fills a void. We keep the stars and the others do a good job or holding their own. But when someone takes them thinking they are a budding star, they are unhappy and out a bunch of money. Redskins, Cardinals, Browns and Bengals. All taking our leftovers. We have even shown that when these players get cut from their new teams, that we will take them back and they do well. Foote, Randle El, etc.

winwithd
04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
This is really big, especially since I just read that Adam Schefter reports Wallace has no intention of signing his one-year tender. He could be sitting out a long time.

Jooser
04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
:tt2 :Cheers :tt2 :tt1 :Clap

I like it alot!

focosteeler
04-11-2012, 05:50 PM
This is really big, especially since I just read that Adam Schefter reports Wallace has no intention of signing his one-year tender. He could be sitting out a long time.

for sure! This wallace thing will be interesting to watch.

fezziwig
04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
great news

Flasteel
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Wallace is under contract for next year...he has no choice but to play. Unless he signs a long-term deal with us or someone else, I guarantee he will be signing his one year tender. Otherwise, he'd be playing out his rookie contract. I'm not sure what that would be, but I'm guessing a whole lot less than the 1st round tender of $2.7M.

DukieBoy
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
​This is very good on many levels. Welcome back Jerricho.

D Rock
04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Wallace is under contract for next year...he has no choice but to play. Unless he signs a long-term deal with us or someone else, I guarantee he will be signing his one year tender. Otherwise, he'd be playing out his rookie contract. I'm not sure what that would be, but I'm guessing a whole lot less than the 1st round tender of $2.7M.

No, he's not under contract. He signed a 3 year contract, and that has expired. He is limited in terms of how and with which team he can sign, but he does not have a contract at this time and could sit this year without pay and without being a member of any team.

focosteeler
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
No, he's not under contract. He signed a 3 year contract, and that has expired. He is limited in terms of how and with which team he can sign, but he does not have a contract at this time and could sit this year without pay and without being a member of any team.

I heard somewhere that he has to play a certain number of games this year to reach the FA market next year. Is that true?

D Rock
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
I heard somewhere that he has to play a certain number of games this year to reach the FA market next year. Is that true?

that may be true...there was a lot of talk about situations like that in past years with the CBA uncertainty. To become eligible for unrestricted free agency you need a certain amount of years played in the league - clearly Wallace hasn't reached that number - and you don't get credit for a year if you report to the team too late into the season. I think Vincent Jackson was the big example of this in past years.

Flasteel
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
You're right...my bad. I was thinking of the fact that he had to sign the tender and play or he can't achieve full free agency. The rookie contract is over, but he still has zero leverage and would be a fool to sit out.

papillon
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
I become less and less enamored with Wallace as each day passes; I wish the front office could find a sucker, I mean another team and make a trade with them for their first, hell, I'd take a second for him at this point.

He's a typical Diva wide receiver that believes he is worth more than his performance dictates, trade him, be happy, move on and don't look back.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
04-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I think talking about recievers as #1, #2, #3, #4, etc is oversimplifying. He was probably satisfied with the expected and potential roles placed in fron of him by coach Tomlin. Seeing this at the same time as Wallace threatening to sit out....well, i just lost a notch of respect for Wallace. Just get out there and play dude. Dont you love the game?

Keyplay1
04-12-2012, 04:30 AM
:) Here we go Steelers! Here we go!

steelblood
04-12-2012, 07:27 AM
This is a negotiation. Of course, Wallace won't sign his tender and will make it look like he intends to sit out. That is really his only play if he wants a contract from the Steelers now. Just like when a car salesmen starts out with sticker price. He knows he likely won't get it, but he might as well try.

SteelBucks
04-12-2012, 07:38 AM

You're correct. Wallace has to play one more season to qualify for unrestricted free agency. If he sits out, he remains the property of the Steelers and is once again a RFA.

calmkiller
04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
that may be true...there was a lot of talk about situations like that in past years with the CBA uncertainty. To become eligible for unrestricted free agency you need a certain amount of years played in the league - clearly Wallace hasn't reached that number - and you don't get credit for a year if you report to the team too late into the season. I think Vincent Jackson was the big example of this in past years.

Under the CBA currently you have to have 4 years of service to become an unrestricted free agent. Previously it was 5 years. Willie Colon is an example of what happen when there was no cap/CBA for a year. That rule went to 6 years before you could register for UFA. That was a clause to allow teams to keep there players during the uncertain time of the CBA ending.

toddjammin
04-12-2012, 08:04 AM
I love the resigning of Cotchery. He knows the offense, gets the job done and is a good character guy!!!!

Oviedo
04-12-2012, 09:12 PM
for sure! This wallace thing will be interesting to watch.

Hope Wallace doesn't let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way out. The only thing he has more than speed is ego and he has less WR skills than either.

Cotchery is a very good add.

AkronSteel
04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
This was a big time sign!!! Cotchery adds the veteran presence to the team that they lost with Hines Ward retiring. It's a fantastic deal money wise and he is a steadying factor to a team that has some upheaval and concerns at WR right now!