PDA

View Full Version : Walterfootball Reader Mock Draft is voting on Steelers pick at #24 now

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm voting for Mark Barron. You?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012reader_1.php

Who's the No. 24 Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft?

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois

Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC

Devon Still, DE/DT, Penn State

Oviedo
04-11-2012, 07:59 AM
I took Konz. The interior of our OL will get Ben killed and render our running game ineffective unless we improve it. Konz is the type of guy with positional flexibility who is better than either Guard we have and is a great insurance policy if Pouncey's leg injuries continue to occur.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm voting for Mark Barron. You?

I'm with you Ruthless. If I have to pick at #24 and these are the players left, I'm sticking to my board and taking BPA. Happens to be a position of need...Just not the highest position of need. I re-arranged them to how I have them on my board. On a side note, I like David Wilson better than Doug Martin.

Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois
Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
Devon Still, DE/DT, Penn State
Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

calmkiller
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
I took hightower because I didn't like any of the Oline available.

Sugar
04-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Looks like Hightower is the man so far. Imagine that, Steelers fans like the Linebacker! :D

steelz09
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I chose Barron.

ikestops85
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I chose Barron.

Me too. If we don't have a shot at DeCastro or Glenn then I think Barron is the guy who could make the most impact.

squidkid
04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
i've been predicting barron for a month now

grotonsteel
04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I chose Devon Still. Move Hood to NT.

Oviedo
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Looks like Hightower is the man so far. Imagine that, Steelers fans like the Linebacker! :D

And they will continue to complain about "inconsistent" offense when we get no help for the offense. The "Fire Haley" and "Haley Sucks" threads should begin soon after the first game where we fail in short yardage with our terrible Guards and Ben gets sacked three times.

steelblood
04-11-2012, 11:35 AM
yes, I'd take Barron in a second!. He'd be a little out of position at FS, but I think he and troy would be great together. Our interception numbers should go up as well.

steelz09
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I've watched Barron play and I'm certain he can play FS. He looks to be good and coverage, aggresive in the run support, and the ability to close and make the interception.

I would prefer Glenn or DeCastro because of our interioir line situation but if both are gone, Barron would be a good pick.

SteelBucks
04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Peter Konz. Draft him, plug him in at Guard and enjoy an improved OL.

Dee Dub
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
i've been predicting barron for a month now

Even though the position he is best suited for is currently occupied by one of the best the game has ever seen? Mark Barron is not a free safety. He is an NFL strong safety. And the Steelers do not need to be using a first round pick on one of those.

steelz09
04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
I disagree. I've seen some very good coverage skills from Barron.

aggiebones
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Konz is intriguing. Chaqnce we move Pouncey to G? He's showing some injury issues. Maybe he'd be safer at G. If he can't make 10 years, might be better to slide another true C onto the team. Not saying who the starter at C would be, but we'd have an option. Plus both could play G or C.

Keyplay1
04-12-2012, 04:09 AM
No surprises here. Saw this early this morning, about 5 am and he was just over 60%. The surprise was he only ended up at a little over 54%.

I thought this was a good idea on that sites part. There was a pretty good fan response and quite a bit of interest.

This readers mock draft coupled with something I saw last week [someone posted their 6 2nd and 3rd rd players they loved] gave me an idea since there is so much interest in the draft.

It would amount to selecting a player each fan thinks the Steelers will draft in a given round. Heres how it would work.

In each rd you list any number of players you believe might be available when the Steelers draft. If the player you list 1st is selected you get 10pts. 2nd 8pts. 3rd 6pts. 4th 4pts. 5th 3pts 6th 2pts. 7th or any other 1pt. There is no penalty or deduction if a player on your list is taken the scoring comes into effect only if the player on your list is available. Really quite simple. And the lists can be changed at any time prior to the actual real draft day pick.

What this would amount to would be sort of a de facto real time draft. [Something which has never worked in the past] One more thing. If a player listed in an earlier round is not taken in that rd he carries over [unless deleted via change] and would be the #1 pick in the next round. [More than likely not there [taken with no penalty to selector] but you never know. An example might be something like:

Rd 1

1. DeCastro 2 Poe 3 Glenn 4 J. martin 5 DH 6 Adams 7 Barron 8 Perry 9etc.

1 2 3 gone 4 not taken 5 Steelers pick 8pts awarded any other player left carry over unless changed to rd 2 plus the new feasible bunch etc.

This is not my entry: I would put DH 1st then I suppose the others in about that order probably.

Think this could work: As I said it would be as close to a real time draft as possible and could be fun. I think it might work at least for the 1st 4 rds. Suggested amendments would be helpful.

MeetJoeGreene
04-12-2012, 08:43 AM
I went w/ Konz

Shoe
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Where is "None of the above"?

I would take Mychal Kendricks.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Where is "None of the above"?

I would take Mychal Kendricks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wQtey9BMRZA/Ta9VBMF7OtI/AAAAAAAACM4/juVRNCyObM4/s1600/brewster.jpg

Incidentally, I fell asleep last night with this movie on.

http://hotterthanapileofcurry.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/none-of-the-above.jpg?w=500&h=288

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Here are the final voting results from Walterfootball along with some commentary about the Steelers pick (as well as one random comment about the Browns for no particular reason that I can find:

Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Dont'a Hightower: 54.6%
Mike Adams: 19.5%
Mark Barron: 7.8%
Whitney Mercilus: 4.4%
Devon Still: 3.9%
Coby Fleener: 2.7%
Nick Perry: 2.4%
Peter Konz: 2.4%
Doug Martin: 2.3%
Total votes: 1,840

Brian S: Hightower, every LB they draft turns out great no matter who they are.

Kyle M: Has to be Hightower. losing Farrior opens up a huge hole next to Timmons; plus none of their other needs are within reach, aside from Doug Martin and maybe Mike Adams.

Jonathan M: The interrior of the Steelers defense needs to get younger. Hightower comes from a pro ready defense. Hightower should be able to fit right into Dick Lebeau's defense.

Peter O: The Steelers' defense is aging. Adding another defensive piece could be what would take them back to the Superbowl

David E: The Steelers biggest needs are O-line, NT and LB. There is no value in the O-line or NT at spot 24, so the options are trade or Hightower.

Timothy S: One thing for sure is that this is going to be a defensive pick. I can see why so many people want the Steelers to select Dont'a Hightower and it would be a good pick. Personally I voted Mark Barron. I don't know why Janoris Jenkins wasn't included in the poll, though. The Steelers could use a Corner.

Tim M: The logical choice is Hightower here. Adams and Barron would both garner interest but if I had to guess I'd think that Hightower would out rank all others in terms of BPA. I like what I've heard about Hightower, but based on his lateral numbers I'm not thrilled.

El Dopa: I don't understand Cleveland. They keep saying they need a wr and qb. But last year they could have drafted Julio Jones and this year make the trade for RG3.

Matt R: The only logical moves I can see are the Steelers trading down and grabbing Alameda Ta'amu in the 2nd or trading up to snatch Poe from (in this draft's case) the Panthers.

birtikidis
04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I picked hightower because I don't trust moving players from position to position. I don't like play a SS at FS. I don't like playing a G at C. I wouldn't move Pouncey for all the money in the world. that's one of the DUMBEST ideas I've ever heard. Now if Hightower were gone, I'd go with Konz. He'd play guard. But to move an NFL, PRO BOWL quality Center would be the DUMBEST thing we could do.