PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Leonard Pope

steelerkeylargo
04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
to a 1 year deal. Not bad.....not good...eh!!

phillyesq
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I like the signing. Pope is a very good blocking TE and while not a huge threat in the receiving game, he is an upgrade over the Matt Spaeth's of the world. If nothing else, the fact that he removes David Johnson from the field in two TE sets makes this an instant upgrade.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Our first outside free agent signing this year! No word yet on what it is worth. In other Pope news, he did save a kid from drowning last year...so he has that, which is good. :D

Leonard Pope saves boy's life
Updated: June 14, 2011, 2:21 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope, whose nickname is "Champ," lived up to the moniker last weekend when he saved a 6-year-old boy from drowning in a swimming pool.

The Chiefs' backup tight end on Saturday saved the son of a longtime friend from drowning in his hometown of Americus, Ga.

"My heart dropped. It could have been any child ... I just knew I had to do something," Pope said in an interview with "ESPN First Take" on Tuesday. "I wasn't waiting on anyone else ... to try to pull him out. I just felt because I have kids of my own I would want someone to do that for my kids, also."

According to his bio on the Chiefs' website, Pope has two young daughters.

The boy's mother, Anne Moore, told the Americus Times Recorder that Pope was the only person at the party who knew how to swim. Pope said he learned how to swim when he was 9 or 10 years old.

"He saved my son's life, and I am so thankful that he was there for me and my child," she told the newspaper.

Pope jumped into the pool -- wearing all of his clothes, "cell phone, wallet and everything" -- and pulled her son, Bryson, from the water.

"I was coming out of the house, I heard Anne cry. She was like 'get, get him, he's drowning!' I couldn't see Bryson. All I could see was his fingertips at the top of the water and I couldn't see his head," Pope said.

The NFL's lockout turned out to be good fortune for Moore and her son.

"The fact that he is normally at camp and could have been in Kansas City just proved to me that he was placed here to save my son from drowning, and I thank God that he was here," she told the newspaper. "He truly lived up to his nickname 'Champ' because he was truly a champion for me and my son this past weekend."

The Chiefs are an organization that has dealt with a similar tragedy. It was 28 years ago this month that star running back Joe Delaney drowned while trying to save three children from drowning in a Louisiana pond. Two of the children died.

Information from ESPN.com AFC West blogger Bill Williamson was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6661068

birtikidis
04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
I like this signing. Hopefully keeps us from doing something stupid like drafting a TE in the first round.

squidkid
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
yipppeee. a backup TE with no receiving skills.

Dee Dub
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Coming out of Georgia he was he was considered a pretty good TE. Big target at 6 ft 8.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Rick Reilly penned more in-depth story about the potential drowning incident. I like that he has a charity to teach people how to swim...a very useful and potentially life-saving skill (whether it is saving your own life or the life of another)...much better than just throwing money at a charity without knowing for sure if the people who need it are actually benefitting...way to go, Champ.

I went to Cornell University, and one of the requirements for graduation is that you must pass a swim test. It is the first examination administered to all incoming freshmen, and if you cannot pass it, it is mandatory that your phys. ed. courses for that year are swimming lessons, which you must take until you can pass that swim test.

Leonard Pope to the rescue
Updated: August 2, 2011, 1:30 PM ET
By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com

Were it not for the NFL lockout, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard Pope might not have been where he was needed most on June 11.

You might have not liked the NFL lockout, but Anne Moore did. The lockout saved her little boy's life.

On the afternoon of June 11, 6-year-old Bryson Moore wandered too far into the deep end of a pool at his cousin's birthday party in Americus, Ga. Soon he was sinking, face down.

Anne began to scream, "Get him! Get him! He's drowning!" But she didn't know how to swim. Neither did anybody else standing around the pool. All they could do was watch Bryson go under.

Inside, though, 6-foot-7 Kansas City Chiefs tight end Leonard "Champ" Pope heard the screaming and ran out.

A father of two girls himself, he was bent on doing something, but he couldn't see anything. Finally, he saw two little hands barely above the water. He dove in -- cellphone, wallet, keys, everything.

Pope went deep, brought Bryson up by his waist and handed him to his mother.

Bryson's mom didn't get a chance to thank Pope. She was too busy rushing Bryson to the hospital, where he would check out fine. By the time she got back, Pope was gone. She was so overcome that she stayed up all night staring at Bryson while he slept and thanking God for sending a man like Leonard Pope.

"If I'd had a million dollars," she later told Pope on the phone, "I'd have given it to you right there and then."

But here's the thing: Without the lockout, Pope wouldn't have been at the birthday party for his fiancée's 3-year-old cousin. He'd have been in Kansas City at a minicamp.

Thank you, greedy NFL owners everywhere.

Here's the other thing: According to a study conducted by the USA Swimming Foundation in 2009, nearly 70 percent of African-American kids and nearly 60 percent of Hispanic-American kids have "low or no ability" to swim, as opposed to 42 percent of white children. It doesn't get much better among African-American adults, either.

"It's amazing how many people have come up to me since this all happened and admitted they can't swim, either," says Pope, who learned at 9. "Fully grown people! It's crazy. There have been two drownings here in Kansas City since it happened."

What Pope didn't know when he dove in is that another Kansas City Chief never learned to swim and it cost him his life.

On June 29, 1983, Chiefs star running back Joe Delaney heard the screams of three young boys sinking fast in a Monroe, La., pond. Delaney couldn't swim, but he dove in anyway. He was able to save one of the boys, but not himself. Delaney died that day with the other two boys.

Pope is very much like Delaney was. Delaney would cut the lawns of old people in his neighborhood just because he knew they couldn't do it. Pope is like that. He checks in on old people he knows, just to make sure they're OK. When the hospital in Americus was smashed by a tornado, Pope jumped in head-first and helped raise $35,000 to fix it.

Pope didn't know Delaney's story, but he did know about Cullen Jones, only the third African-American to make an Olympic swimming team. Jones, who won gold in the 4x100m relay in the 2008 Beijing Games, didn't take up swimming until after he nearly drowned at a water park at 5 years old and had to be resuscitated by lifeguards. His mom made him take lessons the next week.

And young Bryson?

"No, he hasn't wanted to go back near the water since," Pope says. "But he'll learn to swim, once he gets over the shock."

His mom says Bryson gets panicky when she even drives in the direction of that swimming pool. But so many people have come up to her and said, "Because of you, I'm taking my child for swimming lessons" that she has decided to offer Bryson a deal. "If you take lessons, I'll take them with you," she told him.

Maybe that's why Pope is now giving free swimming lessons to kids through his foundation -- C.H.A.M.P. Jones is doing the same, as part of USA Swimming's "Make a Splash" program.

After his dive, Pope became a hero in this country, only he didn't know it. His phone was ruined, and he didn't get a new one for a week.

"I was having to borrow people's phones at the airport," he says. "Perfect strangers. I finally called my girl, and she said, 'Where have you been! Call your agent! Call your auntie! Everybody wants to talk to you!'"

Funny about Chiefs players. Remember three summers ago, in Huntington Beach, Calif., when another Chiefs tight end -- Tony Gonzalez -- saved a man who was choking to death on a piece of steak by applying the Heimlich maneuver?

"[His girlfriend] was screaming, 'He can't breathe, he can't breathe!'" Gonzalez, now on the Atlanta Falcons, said at the time. "The whole restaurant was quiet. Nobody was doing anything. Then I saw he was turning blue. Everybody in the restaurant was just kind of sitting there wide-eyed."

Say what you want about pro athletes, but if you're in trouble, they're very handy to have around. Not only are they genetic superhumans but they've been trained to react in an instant, to jump in where others fear to go and to execute flawlessly in chaos, whether it's a double-reverse handoff or a mother screaming for her drowning child.

Anne Moore knows it. She says Leonard Pope was born to be a hero.

After all, she says, "his name is Champ."

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6826698/rick-reilly-leonard-pope-heroics/

Crash
04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Yay more tight ends! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Run the ball! Yoi!

SteelCrazy
04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Todd Haley bringing in the big guns from K.C................

Mister Pittsburgh
04-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I'll take Pope. It will give us a big blocking TE which will allow Heath to go out more.

aggiebones
04-10-2012, 08:12 PM
We obviously needed to sign another TE. Good to get it over with before the draft.
Haley knows him and liked him enough to bring him over.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2012, 08:20 PM

It's not as if Pope is going to start for us, but when you are in your goal line offense (where we suck), it helps to have a TE who can actually block.

Crash
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
It's not as if Pope is going to start for us, but when you are in your goal line offense (where we suck), it helps to have a TE who can actually block.

Actually I would start using my $100 million QB instead of running the ball on 65% of first downs in the red zone.

Oviedo
04-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Actually I would start using my $100 million QB instead of running the ball on 65% of first downs in the red zone.

Wow Crash. You are really thinking out of the box. Put the ball in the hands of the most important player on the team versus handing it to a back up RB who is only in the line up because of an injury.

Seriously, I want Ben to be the guy making the difference.

As far as Pope, anyone who gets Johnson off the field or better yet off the team is a welcome addition. He actually is a great addition to help the blocking on the edges and with Gilbert converting to LT there are times he will need the help. Good move by the FO.

steelz09
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Pope is a decent signing. I haven't watched him much for KC but he could catch the ball at GA. Here is hoping Saunders will also be back.

For those that had a TE in the first... it's time to redo your mock drafts.

Chadman
04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Totally bipassed point to the signing- was a member of the Cardinals under Haley, was a member of the Chiefs under Haley. Obviously he fills a role.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Totally bipassed point to the signing- was a member of the Cardinals under Haley, was a member of the Chiefs under Haley. Obviously he fills a role.

Pope is the one guy on earth who doesn't think Haley is a first class butthole. ;)

Sugar
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM

I noticed that as well. Seems like a solid signing to me. It seems he isn't used in the passing game much, but can catch if needed.

SteelBucks
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm not going to judge but these are the type of FA signings that usually pay off for the Steelers. Guess we'll see...

phillyesq
04-10-2012, 10:48 PM

You were happy going into the season with just Heath and David Johnson?

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
You were happy going into the season with just Heath and David Johnson?

He doesn't want any more 2-3 TE sets. The coaches cannot be tempted to use multiple TE's if there is only Heath on the roster. :)

Oviedo
04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
He doesn't want any more 2-3 TE sets. The coaches cannot be tempted to use multiple TE's if there is only Heath on the roster. :)

Does he want Ben standing up? I think this signing is more about blocking and pass protection than receptions. We all know that Johnson is terrible blocking as either a TE or quasi-FB. Saunders is still an unknown. Pope will contribute in the red zone but really he will be able to help both Gilbert and Colon at OT on the edges with his blocking abilities.

SteelAddicted
04-11-2012, 08:11 AM
I think Saunders is about to make a name for himself as a receiving TE this year in training camp. I think Johnson is out.

toddjammin
04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
I believe Pope was a 1st round pick for the Cardinals in 2006 or 2007. Does anybody know what year he was drafted? I like the signing as well!!!

steelblood
04-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I would think that Pope replaces Wes Saunders. Pope is too tall for H-back duties so he won't take David Johnson's job. Hopefully the kid from WVU beats out David Johnson or get a real FB.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
I believe Pope was a 1st round pick for the Cardinals in 2006 or 2007. Does anybody know what year he was drafted? I like the signing as well!!!
Thought I read somewhere that he was a third-rounder in 2006. Could be wrong, though.

steelblood
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I went to Cornell University,

Do you know the Nard Dog?

steelblood
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Following article says that Pope graded out very poorly in run blocking and racked up 10 penalties. Yuck.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/04/10/leonard-pope-signs-with-pittsburgh-steelers/

squidkid
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Following article says that Pope graded out very poorly in run blocking and racked up 10 penalties. Yuck.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/04/10/leonard-pope-signs-with-pittsburgh-steelers/

but he was cheap

ikestops85
04-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Wow ... that doesn't sound very good. We might as well stick with DJ because I don't think he has had that many penalties called on him.

steelblood
04-11-2012, 11:38 AM
but he was cheap

He will take up close to 1 million in cap space in all likelihood. I believe vet minimum in 900k.

Slapstick
04-11-2012, 03:49 PM
But, if he signed a vet minimum contract, that actually counts for about half that amount for cap purposes...it's an incentive for teams to sign veteran players without causing too much cap damage...

Steelerphile
04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Poe won't necessarily take David Johnson off the field. Johnson blocks well enough and usually catches what they throw to him . Useless players don't make the final roster. Johnson is underrated by some of the fans. He's not great but neither is Pope.

Crash
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
David Johnson? Catches passes? When? On PS3?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
david johnson sucks.

I will celebrate the day he is off the roster.

Steelerphile
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
David Johnson? Catches passes? When? On PS3?

He caught 12 passes last season. Nothing special. Pope's big year is 23 passes. Johnson is probably a better blocker. It irritates when fans blow players off with the blase "he sucks" line.
Guys do not make the NFL because they suck. Johnson could probably catch more but the Steelers have Miller and good receivers. Pope won't catch that many passes with the Steelers. Pope is an underachiever. He's rated better but he never lived up to potential.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
david johnson sucks.

It's just weird when Eddie and Ovie agree on something. :confused:

steelz09
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
david johnson sucks.

I agree. David Johnson has no business being on this roster let alone see signifcant playing time.

Pope, Saunders and Heath are better receiving threats.

Heath is a better blocker and it wouldn't take much for Pope or Saunders to block better than Jonhson.

That makes him extremely expendable IMO. If the Steelers are thinking about keeping him for his blocking skills (which suck btw), they could get a true FB that would be 10x the blocker David Johnson is.

As far as a receiving thread, Johnson should not see the field over Heath, Saunders and probably Pope as well.

ikestops85
04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Johnson was never considered a receiving threat. He did make that team because of his blocking. The coaches seem to feel a lot different than the fans do on that aspect of his game. I think he does a good job blocking when he gets his hat on a guy but he seems to take the wrong guy many times and he also wiffs a high percentage of his blocks.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2012, 12:03 PM
he seems to take the wrong guy many times and he also wiffs a high percentage of his blocks.

Not good qualities for a guy who is paid to be a blocker.

steelz09
04-12-2012, 01:30 PM

yuppers.

But in response to the comment made about fans saying our players suck when they don't.... i disagree. In fact, I think it's the opposite. I think us as fans have a tendency to overvalue players on this team.

Now, back to Johnson....His blocking ability is not good. I don't care what the "coach" thinks. Thing is, the coach that probably thought his blocking was adequate is gone (i.e. Arians).

He is sent in as a lead blocker on numerous occasions and he doesn't even hit anybody! For gods sake, hit somebody.. anybody even if someone else is already in the process of blocking them. Get a hat on somebody. That is what a lead blocker is supposed to do.

On several occasions, I remember seeing replays where Johnson was sent in as a lead blocker and didn't hit 1 person. At the end of the play, he's standing there looking around like a lost puppy.

How does that warrant a lead blocking responsibility? Thank goodness we let Kuhn go in favor of Johnson's blocking ability. lol

ikestops85
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM

True, but that is just my perception (and apparently many of the posters here). I don't know if the coaches think that way.

The Pope signing for me is meh. I don't really care one way or another. I guess I should since I'm Catholic ... it is pretty cool to have the Pope on your team. :moon

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2012, 02:18 AM
IMO, Leonard Pope gives the Steelers a solid backup to Heath Miller and greatly reduces the possibility of us drafting Stanford TE Coby Fleener in the first round....

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
david johnson sucks.

Amen!!!!!!! Johnson is one of the biggest examples of how Arians couldn't evaluate players and how his philosophy was so flawed.

Ghost
04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Johnson should not have been allowed on the team plane following the Packers SB. His whiff on the Mendy fumble was ridiculous. Add me to the list of wanting him to not waste a roster spot.

Will Johnson, the free agent from WVU, should be get a spot over the non-blocker!

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Johnson should not have been allowed on the team plane following the Packers SB. His whiff on the Mendy fumble was ridiculous. Add me to the list of wanting him to not waste a roster spot.

Will Johnson, the free agent from WVU, should be get a spot over the non-blocker!

Will Johnson looks like an intriguing prospect. All signs point to Tomlin being impressed with the kid when team brass visited WVU. After succumbing to the lockout bullcrap last year, it is good to see that we are giving the kid a chance to show himself in an NFL training camp this year (and what better place to do so than in Latrobe?)

Steelerphile
04-16-2012, 07:19 PM

The new designated Steeler's message board scapegoat has been anointed and it is David Johnson. Now that William Gay is gone. Who is left for the fans to lather with hate. Has to be someone. It is justified? Nooo,. It very seldom is. Most of the other designated scapegoats were never that bad. William Gay had a good season last year. Sean Mahan was a dud. I would agree on him. Nate Washington had 1,000 receving yards last year. That is a lot more than Santonio Holmes had.

I try to understand why this negativity toward Johnson. Is it just because of one missed block? Is that really fair? I am sure that most of the message board posters have jobs or hobbies. I am also sure most have made one mistake in their careers. Probably have made many more than one. Do they think they should be judged on one mistake they made or their overall performance? The answer is rather obvious. But it is never do as you would have done to yourself when it comes to the message board scapegoat. It is all about misrepresentations, exaggerations and remembering one bad thing in the place of all else.

I have most of the games recorded from last season and I have tried to look at some of the games to see why the enmity is developing toward Johnson. Most of the time I just do not notice him. He is in a jumble of bodies. He is not missing blocks. He is engaging his man. As with most of the other lineman, most of his blocks are either stalemates or he is slightly winning. He is not getting pushed around. That is not what is happening at all. He has a strong lower body. I think he has pretty good straight ahead speed but he does not seem really agile. He caught 12 passes last year, which I thought showed progression. Since he only caught 3 or 4 his first two seasons. This year he was the 2nd TE though. He might have had two drops but even Miller had a few. He just is not that bad. I think he is good depth for a 7th round pick. He plays hard. He has some versatility since he can line up in the backfield and also at the TE spot.

I think I will defend this guy; first I am not a bandwagoner who joins in the scapegoating of people just because everyone else seems to be doing it. I hated that when people picked on someone in school for no reason also.

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
The new designated Steeler's message board scapegoat has been anointed and it is David Johnson. Now that William Gay is gone. Who is left for the fans to lather with hate. Has to be someone. It is justified? Nooo,. It very seldom is. Most of the other designated scapegoats were never that bad. William Gay had a good season last year. Sean Mahan was a dud. I would agree on him. Nate Washington had 1,000 receving yards last year. That is a lot more than Santonio Holmes had.

I try to understand why this negativity toward Johnson. Is it just because of one missed block? Is that really fair? I am sure that most of the message board posters have jobs or hobbies. I am also sure most have made one mistake in their careers. Probably have made many more than one. Do they think they should be judged on one mistake they made or their overall performance? The answer is rather obvious. But it is never do as you would have done to yourself when it comes to the message board scapegoat. It is all about misrepresentations, exaggerations and remembering one bad thing in the place of all else.

I have most of the games recorded from last season and I have tried to look at some of the games to see why the enmity is developing toward Johnson. Most of the time I just do not notice him. He is in a jumble of bodies. He is not missing blocks. He is engaging his man. As with most of the other lineman, most of his blocks are either stalemates or he is slightly winning. He is not getting pushed around. That is not what is happening at all. He has a strong lower body. I think he has pretty good straight ahead speed but he does not seem really agile. He caught 12 passes last year, which I thought showed progression. Since he only caught 3 or 4 his first two seasons. This year he was the 2nd TE though. He might have had two drops but even Miller had a few. He just is not that bad. I think he is good depth for a 7th round pick. He plays hard. He has some versatility since he can line up in the backfield and also at the TE spot.

I think I will defend this guy; first I am not a bandwagoner who joins in the scapegoating of people just because everyone else seems to be doing it. I hated that when people picked on someone in school for no reason also.

You go ahead a be the President of David Johnson's Fan Club. It will be a special club because many of us actually watch what he does and don't feel sorry for him. The non-members will watch what he does on the field and be unimpressed with the mediocrity he performs his duties.

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Well...Tyrone Carter, Carey Davis, Chris Kemoeatu, and Bruce Arians are all gone. The message board whipping boy baton must get passed on...;)

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Well...Tyrone Carter, Carey Davis, Chris Kemoeatu, and Bruce Arians are all gone. The message board whipping boy baton must get passed on...;)

It's easy to pass when it consistently goes to substandard performers. Johnson has earned it.

Sugar
04-17-2012, 02:39 PM
It's easy to pass when it consistently goes to substandard performers. Johnson has earned it.
Somewhere, Sean Suisham is now breathing a sigh of relief.

birtikidis
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Arians tried to make Johnson a Pseudo Starter by making sure he got on the field alot. He's a back up. He's not bad but he's not good either. watching him as a lead blocker is painful. As a TE he's ok. as an H-Back he's pathetic. Thing is he has a tendency to lunge at his targets and when he's lined up in the backfield it makes it impossible for him to get a good block. When the guy is lined up right over his head and he doesn't have to run 4-7 yards to hit someone he can make solid contact.

Steelerphile
04-17-2012, 04:11 PM
You go ahead a be the President of David Johnson's Fan Club. It will be a special club because many of us actually watch what he does and don't feel sorry for him. The non-members will watch what he does on the field and be unimpressed with the mediocrity he performs his duties.

President of his fan club "no". Try to be fair "yes'. I think you are far gone in your criticisms. Too critical. As you have been with William Gay, Nate Washington, etc. You assured us that Will Allen would be this huge upgrade over Tyrone Carter, because you disliked him so much, and Allen never came close to contributing as much as Carter had. So yes I will continue to defend people like Johnson who I think are getting targeted unfairly. Because there needs to be a balanced voice.

Ghost
04-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Sorry phile, if it was just the SB block, then the criticism would be unwarrented. But as birtikidis mentions - he consistenly lunges and misses on blocks. It's a common occurrence. He's not that good by NFL standards and could easily be replaced. Why not see if there's a FA (I mentioned Will Johnson from WVU in my post as an example) or another low round or unsigned guy that can give more than mediocrity. The fans just want the best palyers on the roster, down to the 53rd guy.

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Arians tried to make Johnson a Pseudo Starter by making sure he got on the field alot. He's a back up. He's not bad but he's not good either. watching him as a lead blocker is painful. As a TE he's ok. as an H-Back he's pathetic. Thing is he has a tendency to lunge at his targets and when he's lined up in the backfield it makes it impossible for him to get a good block. When the guy is lined up right over his head and he doesn't have to run 4-7 yards to hit someone he can make solid contact.

I would disagree about his abilities as a TE. His receiving is below average. When he catches the ball he looks more stiff and awkward than Dan Kreider use to and dan was a very poor receiver. Kreider could at least block which Johnson can't.

Oviedo
04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
President of his fan club "no". Try to be fair "yes'. I think you are far gone in your criticisms. Too critical. As you have been with William Gay, Nate Washington, etc. You assured us that Will Allen would be this huge upgrade over Tyrone Carter, because you disliked him so much, and Allen never came close to contributing as much as Carter had. So yes I will continue to defend people like Johnson who I think are getting targeted unfairly. Because there needs to be a balanced voice.

Well I guess that we can just disagree but I think most see Johnson for what he really is. A marginal player. We can disagree about carter too. Carter was terrible in coverage. he played the run OK but he couldn't cover. That became a major liability and he was the one who was targeted when everyone started to figure out they could exploit us with short passes.

As far as Gay, I had no real issue with him and always thought he was a good nickle. Not a good #2 CB.

I just thought Washington was way over hyped. He was just OK and remains just OK with the Titans. Very good speed and unreliable hands. Nothing has changed.

Steelerphile
04-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Sorry phile, if it was just the SB block, then the criticism would be unwarrented. But as birtikidis mentions - he consistenly lunges and misses on blocks. It's a common occurrence. He's not that good by NFL standards and could easily be replaced. Why not see if there's a FA (I mentioned Will Johnson from WVU in my post as an example) or another low round or unsigned guy that can give more than mediocrity. The fans just want the best palyers on the roster, down to the 53rd guy.

You can't cite examples. I think you are doing what most everyone else here is doing. You think it is true and everyone seems to think it is true but it is one of these things where you are trusting your memory, which is probably very flawed. This is reinforced by other people saying the same thing. It is like a rumor. It gets repeated and passed along and people start to accept it as gospel and a lot of times a rumor is baseless. I know that is often how a perception is. So I think you should actually examine the record, meaning the games and see if this is really true or not. I have tried to look at some of the games and I don't find this supported. He does not CONSISTENTLY lunge and miss blocks. In fact, I can't find a lot of examples where he lines up in the backfield. I think it is harder to line up a block where there is space between you and someone you are trying to block, but I still don't see him totally lunging and missing. When he is lined up at tight end, a guy is right in front of him. I don't ever see him lunging and missing.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 07:49 AM
You can't cite examples. I think you are doing what most everyone else here is doing. You think it is true and everyone seems to think it is true but it is one of these things where you are trusting your memory, which is probably very flawed. This is reinforced by other people saying the same thing. It is like a rumor. It gets repeated and passed along and people start to accept it as gospel and a lot of times a rumor is baseless. I know that is often how a perception is. So I think you should actually examine the record, meaning the games and see if this is really true or not. I have tried to look at some of the games and I don't find this supported. He does not CONSISTENTLY lunge and miss blocks. In fact, I can't find a lot of examples where he lines up in the backfield. I think it is harder to line up a block where there is space between you and someone you are trying to block, but I still don't see him totally lunging and missing. When he is lined up at tight end, a guy is right in front of him. I don't ever see him lunging and missing.

'phile--really do you think you are the only one who has ever watched a game and the rest of us just draw our conclusions based on rumors??? Really??

Johnson is a marginal player. Whether it suits him or not he is in a role where he has to block in space and he is terrible at it. He does that much more than line up on the LOS opposite a defender. Therefore for the role he has been assigned he is inadequete.

DHSF
04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Johnson is not as bad as some portray, but at this point, he is the #3 TE on the team. When Saunders comes back from his suspension he will be #4. Do the Steelers normally keep 4 TE's on the roster? He might end up getting cut. The Pope signing means that the Steelers won't need to draft a TE before round 7.

Chadman
04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
'phile--really do you think you are the only one who has ever watched a game and the rest of us just draw our conclusions based on rumors??? Really??

Johnson is a marginal player. Whether it suits him or not he is in a role where he has to block in space and he is terrible at it. He does that much more than line up on the LOS opposite a defender. Therefore for the role he has been assigned he is inadequete.

Chadman reckons there miht be a few guys out there that watch the film even more than we do- you know- those Front Office types.

And you know- despite his absolute suckness, they still put him on the roster & even on the field. Perhaps we missed something on film? Something the guys that do this for a living are picking up?

Phile has a good point- often the view of the majority is skewed because we WANT it to be right- not because it actually is. Chadman tried making this point about Mike Adams in another thread- Ohio St fans who feel he wasn't up to 'the standard' might, over time, concoct a theory that has Adams being terrible 90% of the time, when the reality is he is probably 'terrible' 10-15% of the time.

In the end, Chadman is willing to believe that Tomlin & Colbert might know what they are doing more than say, a Steeler messege board analyst.

Unless that analyst is Chadman of course.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Chadman reckons there miht be a few guys out there that watch the film even more than we do- you know- those Front Office types.

And you know- despite his absolute suckness, they still put him on the roster & even on the field. Perhaps we missed something on film? Something the guys that do this for a living are picking up?

Phile has a good point- often the view of the majority is skewed because we WANT it to be right- not because it actually is. Chadman tried making this point about Mike Adams in another thread- Ohio St fans who feel he wasn't up to 'the standard' might, over time, concoct a theory that has Adams being terrible 90% of the time, when the reality is he is probably 'terrible' 10-15% of the time.

In the end, Chadman is willing to believe that Tomlin & Colbert might know what they are doing more than say, a Steeler messege board analyst.

All hail Chadman:Bow

Ghost
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM

You mean those same front office types that thought Sean Mahan was the answer at center? :stirpot I fully understand most Steeler decision makers have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but they are not infallible (Bruce Davis, A Jackson, Willie Reid, Colclough and T Martin over Brady). And sometimes a coach, for whatever reason has a blind spot for a player. Let's wait and see what Coach Haley does with him. If he sticks and plays then we'll know the criticism has been unwarrented. If he cuts him and goes with another player than BA kepe him becasue he liked him not because of talent.

Crash
04-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Unlike Chadman Crash thinks that the fans watch the same games that the Steelers brass do. It's not rocket science.

Oviedo
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
You mean those same front office types that thought Sean Mahan was the answer at center? :stirpot I fully understand most Steeler decision makers have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but they are not infallible (Bruce Davis, A Jackson, Willie Reid, Colclough and T Martin over Brady). And sometimes a coach, for whatever reason has a blind spot for a player. Let's wait and see what Coach Haley does with him. If he sticks and plays then we'll know the criticism has been unwarrented. If he cuts him and goes with another player than BA kepe him becasue he liked him not because of talent.

I think Haley already voiced a partial opinion by bringing in L. Pope. He didn't bring him in to play behind David Johnson that is for sure.

Steelerphile
04-18-2012, 08:19 PM

If you do watch the games, I don't see how you can draw the conclusion that Johnson consistently lunges and misses blocks. I actually put in some time to go through about ten games where I just tried to see what Johnson is doing. I can honestly say that not only do I not see Johnson consistently lunging and missing blocks when he lines up in the backfield, I did not see that ONE time. In fact, I think I am more impressed with Johnson now that I was before. I see him lay a lot of solid blocks. The only time he doesn't block is on the rare occasion that he leads a play and by chance there is noone there to block. It happens occasionally. That's not a whiff.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
david johnson is flat out awful.

i cant believe we are even having this discussion.

Chadman
04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Unlike Chadman Crash thinks that the fans watch the same games that the Steelers brass do. It's not rocket science.

Are you suggesting then that we should replace the Front Office of the Steelers with a bunch of fans that 'know better'?

Shoe
04-19-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm not going to say he's flat-awful, but you have to remember that he wasn't even good enough at Arkansas State to be the full-time starter. He platooned with some guy name J.T. Jordan.

feltdizz
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I have to agree with Phile on this one. Every year there is a player the message board jumps on and it gets repeated over and over again....

BradshawsHairdresser
04-19-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm not going to say he's flat-awful, but you have to remember that he wasn't even good enough at Arkansas State to be the full-time starter. He platooned with some guy name J.T. Jordan.
Using that criteria, Willie Parker and Tom Brady should have never been starters in the NFL.

Oviedo
04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
I have to agree with Phile on this one. Every year there is a player the message board jumps on and it gets repeated over and over again....

True, but that doesn't mean it isn't deserved!!!!!