PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolley's first mock draft

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
TUESDAY, APRIL 03, 2012

First mock draft
posted by Dale Lolley

Now that April is finally here, it's time to start doing some mock drafts. Here's the first of what will be at least three that I do before the draft.

1. Indianapolis - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington (from St. Louis) - Robert Griffin, Baylor
3. Minnesota - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
4. Cleveland - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6. St. Louis (from Washington) – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
7. Jacksonville – Quinton Couples, DE, North Carolina
8. Miami – Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Carolina - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
10. Buffalo - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
11. Kansas City – Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
12. Seattle - David Decastro, G, Stanford
13. Arizona – Melvin Ingram, LB, South Carolina
14. Dallas – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
15. Philadelphia – Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
16. N.Y. Jets – Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
17. Cincinnati (from Oakland) – Cordy Glenn, OT/G, Georgia
18. San Diego – Fletcher Cox, DE, Mississippi State
19. Chicago – Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
20. Tennessee – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
21. Cincinnati – Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
22. Cleveland (from Atlanta) – Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
23. Detroit – Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
24. Pittsburgh - Donta’ Hightower, LB, Alabama
25. Denver – Devon Still, DT, Penn State
26. Houston – Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
27. New England (from New Orleans) – Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
28. Green Bay – Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
29. Baltimore – Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
30. San Francisco – Pete Konz, C, Wisconsin
31. New England - Kendall Reyes, DE, Connecticut
32. N.Y. Giants – Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Shawn
04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
If Luke is there below 20 and we don't move up to grab him I would be shocked.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM

I think Tomlin would pass him up for Hightower regardless. Just a gut feeling.

Sugar
04-05-2012, 09:36 PM

I wouldn't be shocked, but I would be disappointed.

steelz09
04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
If that is the way things unfolded, I think I would draft Barron...he could play SS or FS and he'll see playing time.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
If that is the way things unfolded, I think I would draft Barron...he could play SS or FS and he'll see playing time.

:Agree At ILB, you have Timmons and Foote as starters with Sylvester as the primary backup. At safety, you have Troy and Clark as starters with Mundy as the primary backup. Both could use an influx of young talent and a future starter. If we are looking for the BPA at a position of need, you could consider these both to be positions of need, and I think that Barron is more of an impact player than Hightower.

Djfan
04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Agreed on Barron, but we are known to build our D around LBs. We all want a much improved back field, but if history and philosophy have anything to do with it, it's Hightower.

pfelix73
04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
We cut Farrior. Our leader on defense. We need a long-term replacement for him. The Hightower kid has all the makings of a leader and has shown that he has a good solid character about him. He'll be good off the field representing the Steelers as well as playing that most important role of ILB for the Steelers on the field. And for a long time. He's the best pick for us at #24. No need to move up, or down... Stay put and take the BPA at 24- and I believe its him.. Everyone read that article on here (although I can't find it now) from Lance Zierlien? The one on how the Steelers way is done on draft day? It's pretty muchspot on with Hightower as the only obvious choice at 24. Only one with a higher grade was Glenn and he's gonna be gone by #24.... We shall see.....Ready for it to get here- the draft.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
That is an interesting mock. The date says 4/3 but it looks more like a draft from 3/3 given the events. Poe's & Hightower's stocks are headed in opposite directions. There is a real chance that both will still be on the board...There is also the chance they are both gone. I have done alot of film watching myself on Poe now that more and more is available. A month ago I would have ran to the podium with Poe's name on the card if he was available at #24 even if Hightower was available. Now I would hope the phone rings if they were both there because I feel picking either may be leaving some "value" on the table if we take either at #24. I would have to be sitting in a meeting with Hightower & Poe watching game film and asking them questions about why they did things on certain plays and what they saw to make a final decision. Hightower's floor is far better than Poe's but Poe's ceiling is better. What has me torn is the strength of position. ILB has depth through the draft..NT gets weak very quickly.

I really dislike this draft at the top. Very weak in 1st round talent outside Top 20. Very strong through 2-4. This is the year I would celebrate trading out of the 1st. Take it all in on Thursday & then get a 2nd & 3rd for #24. Come Friday...Take Zeitler, Alameda Ta’amu, Pead, and Nigel Bradham. If the draft fell like above and Hightower was the pick...I would be ok with it.

Wow...Draft can't get here soon enough! I'm holding off on my final mock until after 4/20. After the Wallace crisis passes, I get the feeling we may see a FA signing that may have an impact early in the draft.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2012, 12:17 PM
We cut Farrior. Our leader on defense. We need a long-term replacement for him. The Hightower kid has all the makings of a leader and has shown that he has a good solid character about him. He'll be good off the field representing the Steelers as well as playing that most important role of ILB for the Steelers on the field. And for a long time. He's the best pick for us at #24. No need to move up, or down... Stay put and take the BPA at 24- and I believe its him.. Everyone read that article on here (although I can't find it now) from Lance Zierlien? The one on how the Steelers way is done on draft day? It's pretty muchspot on with Hightower as the only obvious choice at 24. Only one with a higher grade was Glenn and he's gonna be gone by #24.... We shall see.....Ready for it to get here- the draft.....

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/steelers-project-part-1-steeler-way

The article was a quality read because he described the process the team goes through when preparing themselves for draft day, but the lists of players provided are his own ranks (he has no idea what the Steelers' big board looks like, and even if he did, he wouldn't publish it). How Zeirlein stacks his board holds no more weight than how you or I stack our boards...it's just another opinion from a football writer.

squidkid
04-06-2012, 04:05 PM

How could you pass on the #1 safety to draft the 3rd lb, ot, og etc ?................i will be pissed if barron gets to us and we pass

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2012, 02:23 AM
TUESDAY, APRIL 10, 2012

Mock Draft II

Here's round two of my pre-draft mock. More information is trickling in, and there have also been some free agent signings in the past week that will change things.

1. Indianapolis - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington - Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor
3. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
4. Clevland - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
6. St. Louis - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
7. Jacksonville - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
8. Miami - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Carolina - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St.
10. Buffalo - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
11. Kansas City - David DeCastro, G, Stanford
12. Seattle - Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
13. Arizona - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
14. Dallas - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
15. Philadelphia - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
16. N.Y. Jets - Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
17. Cincinnati - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
18. San Diego - Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
19. Chicago - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
20. Tennessee - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
21. Cincinnati - Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
22. Clevleand - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
23. Detroit - Nick Perry, DE, USC
24. Pittsburgh - Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
25. Denver - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
26. Houston - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
27. New England - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
28. Green Bay - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
29. Baltimore - Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
30. San Francisco - Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
31. New England - Chandler Jones, DE/LB, Syracuse
32. N.Y. Giants - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Oviedo
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM
More and more I see Zeitler as a possibility. It would be a solid pick if you choose to forgoe a impact skill player. You essentially get a 10 year starter for your weakest position on the team. I still like Cordy Glenn better because of his potential to play both inside and outside but taking Zeitler keeps the emphasis where it needs to be on the OL.