PDA

View Full Version : Kipers AFC North Mock

calmkiller
04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/45367/afc-north-version-kipers-mock-draft-4-0

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. offered his fourth 2012 mock draft this week. You'll need an Insider subscription to view the entire draft, but here's a look at the AFC North part of it:

4. Cleveland Browns

Kiper's first mock draft: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Kiper's second mock: Robert Griffin III

Kiper's third mock: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Current mock: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Hensley's comment: As everyone knows by now from my Wednesday blog, I'm behind the Browns taking Richardson. He will instantly become the centerpiece of that offense.

17. Cincinnati Bengals

Kiper's first mock draft: Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska

Kiper's second mock: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

Kiper's third mock: Dre Kirkpatrick

Current mock: David DeCastro, G, Stanford

Hensley's comment: If the choice is between Kirkpatrick and DeCastro, I believe the Bengals will go with DeCastro. The draft's best guard will make an immediate impact as a starter.

21. Cincinnati Bengals

Kiper's first mock draft: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)

Kiper's second mock: David DeCastro, G, Stanford

Kiper's third mock: Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia

Current mock: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Hensley's comment: Not sure I'm sold on this pick, even though the Bengals need an eventual replacement for Nate Clements. Gilmore is fast and aggressive, but there are questions whether he has the strength to play man coverage in the NFL.

22. Cleveland Browns

Kiper's first mock draft: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

Kiper's second mock: Kendall Wright

Kiper's third mock: Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska

Current mock: Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia

Hensley's comment: I think it's going to be hard for the Browns to resist taking a wide receiver at this spot. Glenn is an intriguing choice because he can play anywhere on the line, and the Browns need help on their right side.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Kiper's first mock draft: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

Kiper's second mock: Dontari Poe

Kiper's third mock: Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama

Current mock: Dont'a Hightower

Hensley's comment: This spot makes a lot of sense which is why most mock drafts are linking Hightower to the Steelers. His leadership and experience in the 3-4 defense makes him the best candidate to fill the void left by the release of James Farrior.

29. Baltimore Ravens

Kiper's first mock draft: Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State

Kiper's second mock: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

Kiper's third mock: Peter Konz

Current mock: Peter Konz

Hensley's comment: I understand putting Konz here for the Ravens. He could immediately start at left guard and be groomed to replace veteran center Matt Birk. But the Ravens can't have any medical red flags with Konz, who has dealt with ankle injuries during his college career, for them to take him in the first round.

Oviedo
04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Well if Kiper says it is Hightower then we know it is definitely someone else.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2012, 04:17 PM

even a blind squirrel can find an acorn every once in awhile...

Oviedo
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Our Ohio opponents are getting better, especially the Bumgals. Are we?

SteelCrazy
04-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Say what you want about Kiper, but one thing about him........he is consistent even if it is being wrong.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Say what you want about Kiper, but one thing about him........he is consistent even if it is being wrong.

yes, Kiper excels at being consistently inconsistent.

SteelBucks
04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
FWIW, Don Banks from SI came out with his latest and has the Steelers selecting Mike Adams. He has Hightower going to the Ravens.

Personally, I don't want either. Trade up, take DeCastro and call it a draft....

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
FWIW, Don Banks from SI came out with his latest and has the Steelers selecting Mike Adams. He has Hightower going to the Ravens.

Personally, I don't want either. Trade up, take DeCastro and call it a draft....

the Steelers have too many needs this year to trade all of our draft picks for an OG.

we need an OG, NT, ILB, S, OT, WR, RB, TE and DE and many of those positions will need to be filled through the draft.

focosteeler
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
the Steelers have too many needs this year to trade all of our draft picks for an OG.

we need an OG, NT, ILB, S, OT, WR, RB, TE and DE and many of those positions will need to be filled through the draft.

Packaging our 1st and 2nd rounders could easily get us DeCastro if he drops past 12 and still leaves us a good number of picks to fill our needs with. I wouldnt be surprised to see us make do with what we have at several positions.

SteelBucks
04-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Packaging our 1st and 2nd rounders could easily get us DeCastro if he drops past 12 and still leaves us a good number of picks to fill our needs with. I wouldnt be surprised to see us make do with what we have at several positions.

That's what I was thinking....packaging a 1st and 2nd to get DeCastro. The last thing I want to do is go Ditka on the draft and trade away everything.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM

our ohio opponents each have 2 first rounders all of which are higher than our only 1st round selection.

it stands to reason they should get better. not sure what your point is.

Sugar
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Yeah, I'll be curious to see how they do this next year. In the past they would follow up a "good" year with a couple years in the toilet. However, they have such a young group of key players now that don't know that they are supposed to suck. If they can get some confidence and stay healthy, they will be very hard to beat.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Kiper is aweful. He's like a weather-man....wrong 85% of the time and yet people still listen to his garbage. I can tell when it's going to rain so I don't need a weather-man. I don't want idiotic draft information so I don't need Kiper. They kinda run hand-in-hand.

We have to go O-line. We have spent enough first round drafts on the D and have left a frachise QB to be beat to hell behind a group of players that would be riding the pine on most other teams. Hell, we gotlucky last year that Starks got his fat arse in shape enough that he could drag it off the couch when all we had to play LT was the friggin' equipment manager.

Package and trade up if necessary. If we package a 1 and 2 for a 1 we might be able to get a 4 or 5 with it. Never know.

Sugar
04-05-2012, 10:35 PM
We have to go O-line. We have spent enough first round drafts on the D and have left a frachise QB to be beat to hell behind a group of players that would be riding the pine on most other teams. Hell, we gotlucky last year that Starks got his fat arse in shape enough that he could drag it off the couch when all we had to play LT was the friggin' equipment manager.

We have gone Offense half the time with our top picks in the last decade- Simmons, Ben, Heath, Santonio, Mendy and Pouncey.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
We have gone Offense half the time with our top picks in the last decade- Simmons, Ben, Heath, Santonio, Mendy and Pouncey.
Now, look at what you just tried to write. Now tell me...since 2004 where have we addressd the o-line for our FRANCHISE QB outside of Pounce, who was worth a crap?

We field hot garbage on the line and continue to ignore it.

But if we "refresh" the uni's to be "more cool" that'll solve every thing.

Sugar
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Now, look at what you just tried to write. Now tell me...since 2004 where have we addressd the o-line for our FRANCHISE QB outside of Pounce, who was worth a crap?

We field hot garbage on the line and continue to ignore it.

But if we "refresh" the uni's to be "more cool" that'll solve every thing.

I wrote the simple truth. Is that hard to take for you? You said that we spent enough draft picks on D. I simply pointed out that over the last decade, we've spent just as many on O. This year there seems to be a wealth of quality OL down the line. There doesn't appear to be a need to spend a first-rounder on one if there is a better BPA when we pick. The front office might agree or disagree but we won't know until April.

I don't see what the uniforms have to do with any of that.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I wrote the simple truth. Is that hard to take for you? You said that we spent enough draft picks on D. I simply pointed out that over the last decade, we've spent just as many on O. This year there seems to be a wealth of quality OL down the line. There doesn't appear to be a need to spend a first-rounder on one if there is a better BPA when we pick. The front office might agree or disagree but we won't know until April.

I don't see what the uniforms have to do with any of that.
The point is we need high quality, or projected to be high quality o-linemen. Not some 3rd or 4th or 5th round schlub that will end up on the practice squad, not even make the practice squad, or just end up a camp body.

We could choose a G or T in the 1st and he might be a bust. But to continue to ignore this teams biggest need and allow a franchise QB to continue to be pounded is inexcusable.

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2012, 12:24 AM
We could choose a G or T in the 1st and he might be a bust. But to continue to ignore this teams biggest need and allow a franchise QB to continue to be pounded is inexcusable.

:Agree

I'm surprised that we haven't already made it the highest of priorities to better protect our $100 million franchise QB, Ben's gonna get killed one of these days and be out for the rest of the season.

Sugar
04-06-2012, 09:31 AM
The point is we need high quality, or projected to be high quality o-linemen. Not some 3rd or 4th or 5th round schlub that will end up on the practice squad, not even make the practice squad, or just end up a camp body.

And my point is that we can get quality (or projected quality) OL outside of the first round this year. Not sure that we can get the future signal caller of the D down the line though. The Steelers have been well served by going mostly BPA in the draft and not reaching. That doesn't mean we ignore the OL in any way, it just means we don't have to reach for it.

squidkid
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM

well, if you are a good little steeler fan you will believe that all the good olineman were off the board when we picked so they had to go in another direction.............i'm sure that will be the excuse if we dont take anyone decent this yesr too!