PDA

View Full Version : "New" Steelers Uniforms

Sugar
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/new-nike-uniforms-to-retain-steelers-look-629788/

I'm a bit disappointed that the Steelers uni's are staying just about entirely the same. My hope was that they would have done a real refresh on the intimidating black & gold. Maybe using a matte black or carbon fiber or something cool. Nike has done such a good job with Oregon, it bums me out that the Steelers are still with the same old look. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the Steelers uni's. I just thought that this would be a chance to do something really cool. Alas...

The only potentially good news is that the throwbacks are going away. Hopefully, the new ones will be better than the crap they've been sporting the past few years.

focosteeler
04-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Dont forget they still havent released the alternates yet

SteelBucks
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/new-nike-uniforms-to-retain-steelers-look-629788/

I'm a bit disappointed that the Steelers uni's are staying just about entirely the same. My hope was that they would have done a real refresh on the intimidating black & gold. Maybe using a matte black or carbon fiber or something cool. Nike has done such a good job with Oregon, it bums me out that the Steelers are still with the same old look. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the Steelers uni's. I just thought that this would be a chance to do something really cool. Alas...

The only potentially good news is that the throwbacks are going away. Hopefully, the new ones will be better than the crap they've been sporting the past few years.

DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION! What's next, adding the logo to the left side of the helmet? I wouldn't have been upset though if they would have brought back the block numbers, but I gave up that fight years ago.

Most of the jersey's pretty much stayed the same. Seattle added neon green to their uniforms....ugly. Carolina changed the look of their Panther, so their helmet changed.

focosteeler
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION! What's next, adding the logo to the left side of the helmet? I wouldn't have been upset though if they would have brought back the block numbers, but I gave up that fight years ago.

:Agree Im not upset that they didnt change I like the way they look. Although I am interested to see what Nike wouldve done if they had changed

Sugar
04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
This just seemed like a great opportunity to refresh the B&G in a powerful way. The uni's are cool, but not perfect. There are so many cool ideas that could have been used, but instead they just settled.

For the record, the block numbers were great... in the 1970's.

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I wish we would get new throwback unis, definitely not a fan of the current ones we have.

birtikidis
04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
The only change I would have liked is the block numbers. We have the best uniform in the nfl, I would have been extremely ticked if they changed it

SteelBucks
04-04-2012, 10:33 PM
I wish we would get new throwback unis, definitely not a fan of the current ones we have.

You're getting your wish. The Steelers are changing up their throwbacks this season.

Sugar
04-04-2012, 10:59 PM

Yeah, the ones they've worn the past few seasons are really terrible. Fortunately, they are changing those. Although, I'm not a big fan of having throwbacks in the first place.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Oregon's unis were/are horrid. I was worried about the new ones as everything Nike touches they screw up. Some of that crap they have been putting on the field the past few years is flat out putrid.

No way should the Steelers unis be changed. The best unis in the league are the ones that don't change. Steelers, Colts, Packers to name a few.

SteelBucks
04-05-2012, 07:19 AM
New Nike uniforms to retain Steelers 'look'
April 4, 2012 12:14 pm

Those who were looking for a radical change -- or even a slight one -- in the Steelers new uniform will be disappointed. Nike, which officially took over as providers for uniforms of all NFL teams, unveiled those uniforms in New York Tuesday.

The Steelers uniform underwent one small change -- the Nike swoosh on the shoulder of the jersey and the front hip area of the pants.

All the new Nike uniforms will be more form-fitting (read: tighter) and the players should like that, especially linemen on both sides who go through rituals to tighten their jerseys to make it more difficult for opponents to hold them.

It likely will be more of a relief to most fans that the famous black and gold uniform has gone relatively unchanged, although those pining for a return to the block numbers from the 1970s will have to endure the Chicago Bears-like style on the team's uniforms again.

Steelers president Art Rooney II had said there would be no change in his team's uniforms, other than in the material. He also said there will be a new throwback uniform this season, the 80th in team history. That uniform will be unveiled later.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 07:48 AM
From what I read, there were two teams (Steelers, Packers) who instructed Nike the only change to the uni would be the adding of their swoosh.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Oregon's unis were/are horrid. I was worried about the new ones as everything Nike touches they screw up. Some of that crap they have been putting on the field the past few years is flat out putrid.

No way should the Steelers unis be changed. The best unis in the league are the ones that don't change. Steelers, Colts, Packers to name a few.

I agree re: Oregon football uniforms Those things are awful. How can you even call it a uniform if you have so many combinations that you never wear the same uni twice?

457458http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/oregoncombos.jpg

Although I must admit that this one is pretty nice...

fordfixer
04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

X2 I agree

Sugar
04-05-2012, 09:33 PM

I completely disagree. Oregon had some sweet looks. A few of them weren't as good as the others, but that happens when you have so many combinations. The Steelers would have only needed a few and would have had a standard helmet. Oregons numbers look very cool and they did the best that could be done with the color scheme they have to work with.

The Steelers uni's are cool, but I was just disappointed because they could have refreshed for something even cooler. Of course, if people actually think that the Pack and the Colts have good looking uniforms then I simply can't help your fashion sense.

At least the Steelers had something good to start with. Those teams have looked terrible for years and seem intent on continuing to do so. :roll:

Eddie Spaghetti
04-05-2012, 09:58 PM
oregons uniforms suck.

why anyone thinks the steelers uniform needs "refreshed" is beyond me.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
I completely disagree. Oregon had some sweet looks. A few of them weren't as good as the others, but that happens when you have so many combinations. The Steelers would have only needed a few and would have had a standard helmet. Oregons numbers look very cool and they did the best that could be done with the color scheme they have to work with.

The Steelers uni's are cool, but I was just disappointed because they could have refreshed for something even cooler. Of course, if people actually think that the Pack and the Colts have good looking uniforms then I simply can't help your fashion sense.

At least the Steelers had something good to start with. Those teams have looked terrible for years and seem intent on continuing to do so. :roll:
No offense, but I bet you're under 20 and have no sense of tradition. Do you even know the tradition of the Steelers? I doubt it if you're saying they "need to refresh". They "refreshed" over 40 years ago....that's enough. It's perfect...so leave it alone.

I will admit, I have a pet peeve for those with no feelings for the tradition for the league. You and Rog GODell spring to mind. Teams like the Colts, Steelers, Raiders, Packers, hell, even the Stains....to not change the uni just for the sake of changing it means a lot to a lot of us. If you don't like it and want to "refresh" crap.....the Seahawks are always looking for fans. I'll bet you even want the logo on both sides of the helmet.

And you even slammed my fashion sense....ooo, that really hurts. Bet you walk around with sagging pants and an untucked shirt because..."it's fresh and cool" and you "are making a fashion statement".

Grow up little boy.

Sugar
04-05-2012, 10:30 PM
No offense, but I bet you're under 20 and have no sense of tradition. Do you even know the tradition of the Steelers? I doubt it if you're saying they "need to refresh". They "refreshed" over 40 years ago....that's enough. It's perfect...so leave it alone.

I will admit, I have a pet peeve for those with no feelings for the tradition for the league. You and Rog GODell spring to mind. Teams like the Colts, Steelers, Raiders, Packers, hell, even the Stains....to not change the uni just for the sake of changing it means a lot to a lot of us. If you don't like it and want to "refresh" crap.....the Seahawks are always looking for fans. I'll bet you even want the logo on both sides of the helmet.

And you even slammed my fashion sense....ooo, that really hurts. Bet you walk around with sagging pants and an untucked shirt because..."it's fresh and cool" and you "are making a fashion statement".

Grow up little boy.

Dude, you have no idea. I am well over 20, but I do have a fashion sense. I'm a rocker who used to scout fashion models, not some hip-hop wanna be, so the idea of me in sagging pants is laughable. I've been a Steelers fan since the 70's. Jack Lambert is my all-time favorite player. So don't pretend to lecture me on tradition or who I should pull for. I understand the tradition, but traditions change over time. Many of the Steelers traditions (such as the logo only on the right side or the stripe combination from the sleeve) could have been kept in a refresh.

I've said that I didn't hate the uni's. I simply thought that they could have done something cooler and this was a great chance to do it. If you disagree, that's cool. I'd appreciate you're not trying to psychoanalyze a person you obviously know nothing about.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm a rocker who used to scout fashion model

Ah, yeah.

Me too.

I discovered Elle and Kathy. I passed on Brinkly....didn't think she had "it". Imagine my suprise now.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-05-2012, 10:38 PM
there is no need to "refresh" or try to be "cooler".

that's ridiculous and makes you look foolish as well.

and you might want to look up the definition of tradition again if you think they change all the time.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 10:44 PM

and you might want to look up the definition of tradition again if you think they change all the time.

Hell, I missed that whole "Traditions Change" thing. The rocker and fashion model scout stuff stopped me dead.

Isn't that sort of like saying "smart goverment" or "large midget"?

Oxy at it's best.

Sugar
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM

I didn't say traditions change ALL the time. I said that they change OVER time. When did the terrible towel start? It wasn't a tradition for Steelers teams for over 30 years and now it has been one for over 30 years since. What about Seattle's 12th man? What about the "Lambeau Leap"? They weren't traditions from the inceptions of those teams. The became traditions over time.

There are ways of incorporating traditions into a new look. You can still be the menacing black & gold with a different visage. However, if wanting such a thing makes me look somehow foolish in your eyes so be it. :roll:

Eddie Spaghetti
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
it does.

rock on, rocker.

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I didn't say traditions change ALL the time. I said that they change OVER time. When did the terrible towel start? It wasn't a tradition for Steelers teams for over 30 years and now it has been one for over 30 years since. What about Seattle's 12th man? What about the "Lambeau Leap"? They weren't traditions from the inceptions of those teams. The became traditions over time.

There are ways of incorporating traditions into a new look. You can still be the menacing black & gold with a different visage. However, if wanting such a thing makes me look somehow foolish in your eyes so be it. :roll:

Oh my.

Okay, let's start. A tradition is something that, ONCE STARTED, pretty much remains the same. Let's use your examples to make our point.

The Lambeau Leap was started and has REMAINED THE SAME. They have not "refreshed" it, or "made it cooler" by scoring and then running to the parking lot and jumping on the hood of a car. It's the same...they jump in the stands. Hence....tradition.

The Seahawks have not tried to "refresh" or "make cooler" the 12th man tradition by running an actual human being up the flag pole instead of a flag. It has remained the same....hence...tradition.

And I won't even bring the Towel into this train wreck of a conversation out of respect for It.

You have the difference between starting a new tradition and maintaining a tradition confused. But rock on!

Flasteel
04-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Oh my.

Okay, let's start. A tradition is something that, ONCE STARTED, pretty much remains the same. Let's use your examples to make our point.

The Lambeau Leap was started and has REMAINED THE SAME. They have not "refreshed" it, or "made it cooler" by scoring and then running to the parking lot and jumping on the hood of a car. It's the same...they jump in the stands. Hence....tradition.

The Seahawks have not tried to "refresh" or "make cooler" the 12th man tradition by running an actual human being up the flag pole instead of a flag. It has remained the same....hence...tradition.

And I won't even bring the Towel into this train wreck of a conversation out of respect for It.

You have the difference between starting a new tradition and maintaining a tradition confused. But rock on!

They've got the drop on you Sugar. :-)

That said, the team pissed all over tradition when they got rid of the blocked numbers and lightened the gold to an undeniable yellow. Although the design has remained pretty much the same since the late 60's, we have already seen a substantial change from the uniform most of grew up on and associated with greatness. I would never advocate a change in our overall look, but I would have been very cool with a little more steel gray added to the color scheme, matte black helmets, a return to a more golden "yellow", and without a doubt the triumphant return of the blocked numbers.

feltdizz
04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
We also pissed on tradition when we knocked down 3 rivers for a new stadium. Spare me with the whole "keep the same look" for eternity. We have a traditional uni and we can also have a retro we pull out once or twice a year.

It's not that serious.... I would love to see an all black uni with the flat black helmet...

It's hilarious seeing people dump on a guy or question his age because he wants to see a refresh on a freaking uniform. Do you guys still watch the games on black and white 13 " TV's too?

Sugar
04-06-2012, 09:25 AM
My point was that we could keep the things that are uniquely "traditional" about the Steelers uni's. I specifically mentioned the logo on only the right side. I love Steelers traditions like the Towel or not having cheerleaders.

It's like Ferrari. They are steeped in traditions even older than the Steelers. When you see one, you almost don't even need to see the badging on the car because they are uniquely Ferrari. That said, they are consistently updating their designs and modernizing their look. Why is it sacrilegious to think that the Steelers might do the same?

ikestops85
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
My point was that we could keep the things that are uniquely "traditional" about the Steelers uni's. I specifically mentioned the logo on only the right side. I love Steelers traditions like the Towel or not having cheerleaders.

It's like Ferrari. They are steeped in traditions even older than the Steelers. When you see one, you almost don't even need to see the badging on the car because they are uniquely Ferrari. That said, they are consistently updating their designs and modernizing their look. Why is it sacrilegious to think that the Steelers might do the same?

Don't let these guys get to you. The Steelers have changed their look many times over the years and this was a chance to do it again. I think they might have been afraid that Nike would go over the top with the changes so they told them to stay the same except for the Nike Swoosh. I love the look of their current uniforms but like you I thought it would be cool to see what Nike could come up with.

Believe me, when I see them in some of those throwback unis I am glad we didn't stick with the so called "tradition". I like how some fans think it is their right to determine what tradition is. What are our colors again? Not the colors I remember from the 70's dynasty.

Flasteel
04-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I was thinking something like this:

SteelBucks
04-06-2012, 11:54 PM

The Iowa Hawkeyes come to mind. ;)

hawaiiansteel
04-07-2012, 12:08 AM
The Iowa Hawkeyes come to mind. ;)

I love the Iowa Hawkeyes' uniform colors! :tt2

Sugar
04-07-2012, 09:58 AM

See, that's cool. Too bad it craps all over Steelers "tradition." ;)

feltdizz
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Since we are dumping on traditions...

Here is my version of a Retro Uni.

feltdizz
04-07-2012, 01:01 PM
or just go all out black on black....

NJ-STEELER
04-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Since we are dumping on traditions...

Here is my version of a Retro Uni.

bada$$

feltdizz
04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Flasteel.. I was trying to see if it was OK to use the template you put up but your mailbox was full
:Cheers

Flasteel
04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Of course...I stole it off the internet somewhere myself.;) Great looking designs dizz! I finally fixed the mailbox thing by the way. Guess I had to empty all incoming and outgoing messages.

Oviedo
04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
or just go all out black on black....

That would be very cool. Just not in Setember in Florida. Maybe it could be our 3rd uniform like the Penguins have.

birtikidis
04-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Why change them? I can understand teams that can't draw fans, or don't have the national draw that we have changing them up. Thing is our fans are fans through and through. We love that the general theme is the same as it has been since the merger. You don't change tradition in one night, you do it slowly. If at all. I would be disgusted if we made a change like the Seahawks did. We have a tradition of winning. We are one of the most recognizable teams in the NFL. We don't need to draw fans by changing our uniform.

Sugar
04-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Why change them? I can understand teams that can't draw fans, or don't have the national draw that we have changing them up. Thing is our fans are fans through and through. We love that the general theme is the same as it has been since the merger. You don't change tradition in one night, you do it slowly. If at all. I would be disgusted if we made a change like the Seahawks did. We have a tradition of winning. We are one of the most recognizable teams in the NFL. We don't need to draw fans by changing our uniform.

My thinking had nothing to do with gaining new fans or anything like that. It was more about the evolution of the brand. There are new styling conventions and designs that could be incorporated with the classic ("traditional" if you will) look that the Steelers have had.

feltdizz
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
That would be very cool. Just not in Setember in Florida. Maybe it could be our 3rd uniform like the Penguins have.

definitely a December home game... lol

birtikidis
04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
My thinking had nothing to do with gaining new fans or anything like that. It was more about the evolution of the brand. There are new styling conventions and designs that could be incorporated with the classic ("traditional" if you will) look that the Steelers have had.
I wasn't replying to you in particular with that post. Just how teams in general will change their "brand" to attract new consumers. we don't need that. I like making fun of teams like Seatle that tweak their look (some significantly like seatle some not so much like arizona who made a meaner looking cardinal a few years ago).

Sugar
04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I wasn't replying to you in particular with that post. Just how teams in general will change their "brand" to attract new consumers. we don't need that. I like making fun of teams like Seatle that tweak their look (some significantly like seatle some not so much like arizona who made a meaner looking cardinal a few years ago).
FWIW- I really liked the changes that Detroit, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Denver and Arizona have made over the years. Not so much with San Diego and Buffalo, but you can't win 'em all.