PDA

View Full Version : Steelers definitely looking at the OT position

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Steelers host Ole Miss tackle

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Steelers are meeting with Mississippi offensive tackle Bobby Massie today at their South Side practice facility.

Massie is the second offensive tackle that the Steelers have hosted for a pre-draft visit. Like Ohio State's Mike Adams, he is considered one of the top tackles in the draft though not a top-tier prospect.

Massie started at right tackle for Ole Miss last season, and the 6-foot-6, 316-pounder declared for the draft even though he still had another year of eligibility.

The Steelers have been looking at tackles in recent weeks as they also hosted free agent Demetrius Bell for a visit last Friday. Bell, who started parts of the last two seasons at left tackle for Buffalo, has signed with Philadelphia.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_789830.html#ixzz1r5wPpUFm

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
My 2012 Steelers Mock Draft:

1 Dont'a Hightower ILB Alabama
2 Josh Freeman NT Alabama
3 Brandon Brooks OG Miami, Ohio
4 Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati
5 Trenton Robinson FS Mich St
6 Edwin Baker RB Mich St
7a Rhett Ellison TE/FB USC
7b Randy Bullock K Texas A&M
7c Markus Zusevics OT Iowa
7d Toney Clemons WR Colorado

Josh Chapman is the NT for Alabama. Josh Freeman is the QB for the Tampa Bay Bucs. ;)

hawaiiansteel
04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Josh Chapman is the NT for Alabama. Josh Freeman is the QB for the Tampa Bay Bucs. ;)

thanks RB, I'll fix that right now.

if Josh Freeman doesn't start playing QB better soon maybe the Bucs will fatten him up and make him a NT...:D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I am beginning to believe the Steelers have no pre-determined OL starters with the exception of Pouncey. They must believe that Gilbert & Colon have the position flexibilty for the Steelers to take an OL regardless of position that they have fallen in love with anywhere in this draft. Seems to be more than smoke screens at this point. I think they feel Colon is the RT & Gilbert the LT...Going into the draft. But I also think they will take a LT, G, or RT in the 1st three rounds without hesitation. "Best 5" mentality will determine line-up.

Sugar
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Just as long as they don't take yet another lineman in the first...

steelz09
04-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Just as long as they don't take yet another lineman in the first...

I just don't understand Tomlin's way of thinking .... What is the long term strategy, Tomlin!?!

They said Colon is a good RT (and he's not) but they're still convinced he's the starter at RT

They said Gilbert is the LT. If that is the case and they feel strongly about both these players then why draft a Tackle in the first round unless it's someone elite? I would draft Glenn but have him play Guard and backup the T position.

We have huge gaps to fill and drafting a T when Tomlin "says" Gilbert and Colon are penciled in as starters is stupid.

Now, if the strategy is drafting a T and have Colon move to Guard then I'm all for it.

NT, Guard, Safety, and ILB are all bigger needs. What ever happened to drafting BPA at a position of need?

Sugar
04-04-2012, 11:08 PM
What ever happened to drafting BPA at a position of need?

I don't know that they won't do just that. The draft hasn't happened yet so we'll just have to wait and see.

focosteeler
04-04-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't know that they won't do just that. The draft hasn't happened yet so we'll just have to wait and see.

:Agree they might know who they want already in certain rounds and are just bringing in backup plan guys just incase

Chadman
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I just don't understand Tomlin's way of thinking .... What is the long term strategy, Tomlin!?!

They said Colon is a good RT (and he's not) but they're still convinced he's the starter at RT

They said Gilbert is the LT. If that is the case and they feel strongly about both these players then why draft a Tackle in the first round unless it's someone elite? I would draft Glenn but have him play Guard and backup the T position.

We have huge gaps to fill and drafting a T when Tomlin "says" Gilbert and Colon are penciled in as starters is stupid.

Now, if the strategy is drafting a T and have Colon move to Guard then I'm all for it.

NT, Guard, Safety, and ILB are all bigger needs. What ever happened to drafting BPA at a position of need?

Quoting Tomlin in 'definate's' is impossible. He said Arians was coming back. Guess how that turned out. He & Colbert have both said that Colon & Gilbert are 'penciled in'...if they add a Bobby Massie, Chadman guesses we could always call him 'the Big Erasor'...

You were right though- best 5 OL play...if that means Colon moves to OG, Chadman is betting that is what will happen. While we have 'penciled in' OT's, that doesn't mean we have great OT's. They can always be upgraded. In fact, getting Massie in at RT & moving Colon to OG improves 2 positions...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Quoting Tomlin in 'definate's' is impossible. He said Arians was coming back. Guess how that turned out. He & Colbert have both said that Colon & Gilbert are 'penciled in'...if they add a Bobby Massie, Chadman guesses we could always call him 'the Big Erasor'...

You were right though- best 5 OL play...if that means Colon moves to OG, Chadman is betting that is what will happen. While we have 'penciled in' OT's, that doesn't mean we have great OT's. They can always be upgraded. In fact, getting Massie in at RT & moving Colon to OG improves 2 positions...

Hence the term "penciled in" as opposed to "carved in stone". The term itself explains that while we would go into a game with Colon at RT and Gilbert at LT if it was played today, nothing is definite moving forward.

steelblood
04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Having a fluid plan at this point makes a lot of sense. Odds are that one of our OL will be injured (significantly) in TC, preseason, or in the first few games. Drafting an OT is smart if you can get one you like. Most OT (if not too tall) can also play OG, but rarely are college OGs capable of playing OT. A Guy like Massie will provide this team with many different line possibilities and options.

ikestops85
04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
What ever happened to drafting BPA at a position of need?

That's what causes you to reach. If your position of need is guard but the highest rated guard you have on your list is a projected 3rd rounder why would you pick him in the first round? You need to rank each player according to their ability with the tie-breaker being position of need.

Also, please remember that Colbert is in charge of the draft ... not Tomlin.

steelz09
04-05-2012, 12:49 PM
That's what causes you to reach. If your position of need is guard but the highest rated guard you have on your list is a projected 3rd rounder why would you pick him in the first round? You need to rank each player according to their ability with the tie-breaker being position of need.

Also, please remember that Colbert is in charge of the draft ... not Tomlin.

That's not how you reach... The Steelers have always been BPA at a position of Need. I think Tomlin has a bit more say than what everyone thinks. He's the HC, obviously, and a HC should have at least a 40% say in who is drafted. I would think your coaches knows a bit more about talent, scheme, etc than your GM. Granted, Colbert is one of the best in the business but still.....

I think Tomlin is a very smart guy but I think he sometimes confuses himself on personnel strategies and what he wants from players and their positions and it hurts this teams future development. Sometimes he needs to step back and just see things how they are... and use the "Keep it simple, stupid" mentality.

Sometimes I wish he would just draft the best player at a position without the intent of having them learn learn multiple positions. I would rather have a guy focused on 1 position and possibily becoming elite at that position than an average guy that Tomlin wants to use as a "Lego" w/ position flexibility.

Oviedo
04-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Having a fluid plan at this point makes a lot of sense. Odds are that one of our OL will be injured (significantly) in TC, preseason, or in the first few games. Drafting an OT is smart if you can get one you like. Most OT (if not too tall) can also play OG, but rarely are college OGs capable of playing OT. A Guy like Massie will provide this team with many different line possibilities and options.

I'm liking Massie more and more because he seems to be one of the few OTs who I see being able to play OG for the first couple of years and then move back out to OT.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
we've brought in two OTs and one OG for visits so far:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams (3/?).
Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks (3/30).
Colorado receiver Toney Clemons (4/?).
Alabama linebacker Jerrell Harris (4/2).
Regina defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (?/?).
Florida International receiver T.Y. Hilton (3/?).
Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson (4/?).
Ole Miss offensive tackle Bobby Massie (4/4).
Stanford long snapper Zach Nolan (3/30).
Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead (4/3).
+West Virginia cornerback Keith Tandy (4/2).
Cincinnati defensive end Derek Wolfe (3/?).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

NJ-STEELER
04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
why would tomlin or colbert tip their hand and give teams the info they would need to trade up in front of us. right now those would be the starting OTs, doesnt mean they should stop looking at at that area. the 2 starting OTs right now are someone who hasnt played in nearly 3 years due to injury and another who's played LT for a total of a few games his senior year in college. why would anyone think those position are solidified