PDA

View Full Version : The return of the USFL?

Djfan
04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/4/1/2917950/the-usfl-is-back-this-isnt-an-april-fools-joke-apparently

I used to LOVE watching football all year. I would welcome this.

Sugar
04-02-2012, 08:07 PM
This looks like it would be a good way for young guys to get around the amateur football racket known as the NCAA. That would be pretty cool. There are a lot more people playing ball than there used to be, so it would be cool to have a kind of league that was a tier below the NFL to develop some players. Arena League and the CFL don't seem to be adequate.

SteelBucks
04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I'll pass.

Flasteel
04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Bandit Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2012, 10:40 PM
I think I could watch it for a little while but I don't know for how long...

Djfan
04-02-2012, 11:04 PM
I wonder if they will be allowed to hit like men or not.

focosteeler
04-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Since I could care less about other sports I am all for this. I just want to be able to watch it. So hopefully they could get some kind of TV deal, so if there isnt a team near me I could still watch.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Isn't the UFL still in operation?

SteelBucks
04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Isn't the UFL still in operation?

Yes it is...for now at least.

Personally, I'm not interested in the return of the USFL at all. People might watch at first but inferior products have a hard time surviving...like the USFL (Part 1), NFL Europe, XFL, etc. I'm shocked the Arena League is still in operation.

Oviedo
04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes it is...for now at least.

Personally, I'm not interested in the return of the USFL at all. People might watch at first but inferior products have a hard time surviving...like the USFL (Part 1), NFL Europe, XFL, etc. I'm shocked the Arena League is still in operation.

The only way one of these leagues survives is if the NFL throws its weight and money behind it as a true developmental system similar to baseball. I'm not sure that they would do that because they have that for free in college football.

There is definitely value for having something where borderline players get another year or two to develop. I really had hopes that the NFL would expand their practice squads as part of the latest CBA but alas that did not come to pass.

SteelBucks
04-03-2012, 09:37 AM
The only way one of these leagues survives is if the NFL throws its weight and money behind it as a true developmental system similar to baseball. I'm not sure that they would do that because they have that for free in college football.

There is definitely value for having something where borderline players get another year or two to develop. I really had hopes that the NFL would expand their practice squads as part of the latest CBA but alas that did not come to pass.

I know the NFL supported NFL Europe but didn't they also help fund the old World League in the mid-90's as a development program? The only reason I remember that league was because I was a student at Ohio State and went to a couple Ohio Glory games at OSU Stadium. There was nothing worse than sitting in that stadium in mid summer....absolutely brutal heat. That league folded rather quickly.

Djfan
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I really think that the USFL could have survived had they stayed a summer league. The switch to a direct competition with the NFL was the kiss of death.