PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to do vs. what you think the Steelers will do

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
My current mock is in my sig...I'd love for our draft to work out like this.

Steelers' 1.24 and 2.56 for Cowboys’ 1.14

1.14 OG David DeCastro, Stanford 6-5 316
3.86 OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) 6-5 346
4.119 WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa 6-3 216
5.159 NT Hebron Fangupo, BYU 6-1 323
6.193 FB Chad Diehl, Clemson 6-2 257
7.231 TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
7.240 ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
7.246 FS Blake Gideon, Texas 6-0 208
7.248 DE Ryan Van Bergen, Michigan 6-6 288
Priority UDFA OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308

However, I highly doubt that the draft would actually go down like this. I actually think that as fans, we tend to be focused on what we see to be the team's biggest needs along the o-line, and up the middle of the defense at NT and ILB. I think the team could throw us a curveball if the best player available is a cornerback or a safety instead (or even a TE as flippy posted in his new mock today). If someone like Stephon Gilmore (we'd take him over guys with character questions like Dre Kirkpatrick or Janorris Jenkins)or Mark Barron (who might fall because of double sports hernia surgery like Heath Miller once upon a time). Regarding what I think the Steelers might do, I think it could go down something like this:

1. CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina 6-1 190
2. OT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss 6-6 316
3. RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati 5-10 197
4. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati 6-5 295
5. FS Trent Robinson, Michigan St. 5-10 195
6. NT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, Baylor 6-2 335
7. LB Miles Burris, San Diego St. 6-2 246
7. WR Junior Hemingway, Michigan 6-1 225
7. TE Brad Smelley, Alabama 6-2 238
7. OG Lonnie Edwards, Texas Tech 6-4 320

If Gilmore's off the board in round 1 but Barron's available, we could flip-flip cornerback and safety in this mock and go with Alabama safety Mark Barron in round 1 and then someone like Furman CB Ryan Steed in round 5.

If Pead's off the board in round 3, we could flip-flop running back and nose tackle in this mock and go with Michigan NT Mike Martin in round 3 and then someone like Ole Miss RB Brandon Bolden in round 6.

If Wolfe's off the board in round 4, we could flip-flop defensive end and wide receiver in this mock and go with Iowa WR Marvin McNutt in round 4 and then someone like Michigan DE Ryan Van Bergen in round 7 (just like in my mock).

Any thoughts?

Feel free to post your own "what would I do" and "what I think the Steelers will do" mocks here as well.

:tt2:tt1

Oviedo
04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
The lack of early help at the Guard position would cause me the most concern. I would have no issue going OL in both Rounds 1 and 2. We need depth bad because we always have OL injuries, Colon's health is suspect, Pouncey has had recurring leg injuries towards the end of the last two seasons, but primarily our two Guards aren't that good.Without a better OL then nothing Haley does will be any better than what Arians did...just more inconsistency and poor execution blowing up what could be productive plays.

feltdizz
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I want OL...

We will get BPA... probably on D.

Keyplay1
04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
It just might be easier for the Steelers to do what has to be done than it is for us fans to speculate on what we would like to happen.

RuthlessBurgher said: If Gilmore's off the board in round 1 but Barron's available, we could flip-flip cornerback and safety in this mock and go with Alabama safety Mark Barron in round 1 and then someone like Furman CB Ryan Steed in round 5.

-----That is even more coincidence. Let me explain.

In the BigRob thread about the PHI OL Jason Peters injury, I started posting some stuff in mocks that came out a day or so after the injury. As expected several already had PHI taking an OL. One, I think it was Draft Dog had them taking OT Jonathan Martin. A player I think you had mentioned as an alternative Steeler pick in case everyone else was gone.

But, Dog also had Dallas taking DeCastro at 14. Whereas earlier almost all the mocks had them taking the SS Barron. Sort of an interesting switch there. That's one thing good about the draft you can only get one at a time.

But fortunately these things usually seem to work out real good for the Steelers. There will probably be more curveballs in the next 3+ weeks. Good? I think.

Sugar
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I would love to get a stud ILB first, but the FO will probably go with OL. :roll:

Shawn
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I want to grab a solid OLman, but I'm sure the Steelers will make me sob by selecting Adams (no I do not consider him a solid OLman) or Hightower.

focosteeler
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
I want to grab a solid OLman, but I'm sure the Steelers will make me sob by selecting Adams (no I do not consider him a solid OLman) or Hightower.

If we take Adams, Ben might demand a trade and cite personal safety as the reason

Sugar
04-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I can honestly say that I'm not really excited about anyone that it looks like we would be likely to get except Keuchly and I don't think he'll make it down to us. Sure, there are a number of good players out there. I'm just not that pumped about any of them. Hopefully, we can get a solid BPA at #1 and some ham & egg contributors thereafter.

Chadman
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
If it's a wish list draft..

1. Devon Still DE
2. Keleche Omesele OG
3. Nigel Bradham ILB
4. Matt Reynolds OT
5. Davin Meggett RB

The rest would be a Safety, a WR, maybe another DL & a TE- at this point, not really picky as to who they would be.

Devon Still is an impact DL player, a guy that would likely move Hood inside & give a pocket crushing presence on the outside. If Heyward comes along as expected, this would give the Steelers a potentially dominant DL for years to come, but unlike previous years, also a DL designed to go after the QB in ways Hampton, Smith & Keisel are not as able to do. Omesele is a massive, agile OG who, in Chadman's opinion, is really not far away in ability from the top rated OG's. Bradham is just an impact player. Go watch film on him to see. Reynolds is a swing OT that could help in numerous ways, even inside at OG if required. Meggett is a do-it-all RB that could, at the least, be a 3rd down type.

Shoe
04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
O-line seriously has to be addressed, there's no other way about it.

Today, our O-line would probably be:
LT - Gilbert
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - Legursky
RT - Colon

Gilbert was nicked a bit this year. Foster has been dependable, at least health-wise. Pouncey is a question mark... Not a small question mark either. Legursky certainly can be susceptible to injury. Colon has played less than 10% of games in two years.

Bottom line, our O-line is one, giant QUESTION MARK. Adding another question mark (i.e. Adams) would be silly. We need to solidify this position; not add to it's questionable status. If they moved up to get DeCastro, I would consider the draft a success with that one pick.

focosteeler
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
If we don't make any trades I wouldnt be upset if we had this....

1.24 -- Stephon Gilmore – DB – South Carolina 6’1” 193lbs
2.56 -- Brandon Brooks – G – Miami (Ohio) 6’5” 350lbs
3.88 -- Lucas Nix – G – Pittsburgh 6’5” 315lbs
4.120 -- Derek Wolfe – DE – Cincinnati 6’4” 295lbs
5.152 -- Marvin McNutt – WR – Iowa 6’3” 216lbs
6.184 -- Keith Tandy – CB – West Virginia 5’10” 195lbs
7.216 -- Miles Burris – LB – San Diego State 6’2” 240lbs

steelz09
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I think I started this type of thread last year... It puts an interesting spin on things because you're asking us to be "objective" rather than just listing our favorites.

I want the Steelers to pick any of these guys:

DeCastro - I don't care if we need to trade up
Ingram - One can dream.. even in a trade up scenario
Cordy Glenn
Mark Barron
Worthy
Poe
Hightower
Gilmore
Konz - Probably last on this list. I'm not sure how I would feel about this pick but at least we would get a G.

That's a fairly large list obviously.... but I fear Tomlin will do the complete opposite of what I want and draft a guy like Mike Adams

Oviedo
04-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I think I started this type of thread last year... It puts an interesting spin on things because you're asking us to be "objective" rather than just listing our favorites.

I want the Steelers to pick any of these guys:

DeCastro - I don't care if we need to trade up
Ingram - One can dream.. even in a trade up scenario
Cordy Glenn
Mark Barron
Worthy
Poe
Hightower
Gilmore
Konz - Probably last on this list. I'm not sure how I would feel about this pick but at least we would get a G.

That's a fairly large list obviously.... but I fear Tomlin will do the complete opposite of what I want and draft a guy like Mike Adams

I think Worthy, Poe and Barron are probably lower priority than Konz. Given that they are on defense how much would they really play anyway this season?

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
If it's a wish list draft..

1. Devon Still DE
2. Keleche Omesele OG
3. Nigel Bradham ILB
4. Matt Reynolds OT
5. Davin Meggett RB

The rest would be a Safety, a WR, maybe another DL & a TE- at this point, not really picky as to who they would be.

Devon Still is an impact DL player, a guy that would likely move Hood inside & give a pocket crushing presence on the outside. If Heyward comes along as expected, this would give the Steelers a potentially dominant DL for years to come, but unlike previous years, also a DL designed to go after the QB in ways Hampton, Smith & Keisel are not as able to do. Omesele is a massive, agile OG who, in Chadman's opinion, is really not far away in ability from the top rated OG's. Bradham is just an impact player. Go watch film on him to see. Reynolds is a swing OT that could help in numerous ways, even inside at OG if required. Meggett is a do-it-all RB that could, at the least, be a 3rd down type.

It's interesting that the Chadman sig mock is what he thinks the Steelers will do...he added his own wish list here.

Meanwhile, the RuthlessBurgher sig mock is my personal wish list...I added what I think the Steelers will do here.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Given that they are on defense how much would they really play anyway this season?

You give this justification every year. If you drafted with this mindset, you would never take another defensive prospect early in the draft ever again. Good luck with that.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 01:44 PM
If we don't make any trades I wouldnt be upset if we had this....

1.24 -- Stephon Gilmore – DB – South Carolina 6’1” 193lbs
2.56 -- Brandon Brooks – G – Miami (Ohio) 6’5” 350lbs
3.88 -- Lucas Nix – G – Pittsburgh 6’5” 315lbs
4.120 -- Derek Wolfe – DE – Cincinnati 6’4” 295lbs
5.152 -- Marvin McNutt – WR – Iowa 6’3” 216lbs
6.184 -- Keith Tandy – CB – West Virginia 5’10” 195lbs
7.216 -- Miles Burris – LB – San Diego State 6’2” 240lbs

Taking two corners (when we already have Ike, Keenan, Cortez, and Curtis as locks to make the team) might be overkill (then again, we had all 4 of those guys last year plus Gay and BMac, so I suppose it's possible), but there are numerous guys on that list that I like a lot (Brooks, Wolfe, McNutt).

Oviedo
04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
You give this justification every year. If you drafted with this mindset, you would never take another defensive prospect early in the draft ever again. Good luck with that.

But will they play??? Would we be a worse or better team if we used the picks on Hood and Heyward for OL? Bet the OL drafted in Round 1 would be starting by last year if not the end of their rookie year and Ben you be more effective. You don't need to draft a DL to hold and grapple with the OL in Round 1. You can get lots of those guys in Round 3 or later (Smith, Kiesel, etc.).

No issue taking a DB or even an LB in Round 1 but wasting that pick on DL who aren't allowed to go after the QB but simply occupy blockers is not IMO a good investment. However my name isn't Colbert so if he thinks he is a good use of a pick it is what it is. I just wouldn't.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
But will they play??? Would we be a worse or better team if we used the picks on Hood and Heyward for OL? Bet the OL drafted in Round 1 would be starting by last year if not the end of their rookie year and Ben you be more effective. You don't need to draft a DL to hold and grapple with the OL in Round 1. You can get lots of those guys in Round 3 or later (Smith, Kiesel, etc.).

No issue taking a DB or even an LB in Round 1 but wasting that pick on DL who aren't allowed to go after the QB but simply occupy blockers is not IMO a good investment. However my name isn't Colbert so if he thinks he is a good use of a pick it is what it is. I just wouldn't.

Posting on Planet Steelers does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not! ;)

Oviedo
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Posting on Planet Steelers does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not! ;)maybe I need to update itPosting on Planet Steelers does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and WE are not ;);)

calmkiller
04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
My Mock is what I would like to see.

1. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
2. Mike Martin, NT, Michigan
3. Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami OH
4. Najee Goode, ILB, West Virginia
5. T.Y Hilton, WR, FIU
6. Davin Meggett, RB, Maryland
7. Julian Miller, DE, West Virginia
7b. Ford Chase, TE, Miami
7c. Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia
7d. Phillip Thomas, FS, Syracuse

focosteeler
04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Taking two corners (when we already have Ike, Keenan, Cortez, and Curtis as locks to make the team) might be overkill (then again, we had all 4 of those guys last year plus Gay and BMac, so I suppose it's possible), but there are numerous guys on that list that I like a lot (Brooks, Wolfe, McNutt).

I put Stephon Gilmore in there as a DB instead of a corner because I have a read a lot of places that he could be a great FS as well as a Corner so I figure at our pick he would be the BPA. I put Tandy in there becaues he had a visit and he is projected to that round :D ....hopefully here in 2 weeks we will know all the players that have come in for visits so I can see who they are truely interested in

grotonsteel
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I would do is draft Oline

Rd1: Cordy Glenn, OG/OT
Rd2: Mike Martin, NT
Rd3: Brandon Brooks, OG
Rd4: Marvin McNutt, WR
Rd5: Demario Davis, ILB
Rd6: Ryan Van Bergen, DE
Rd7: Davin Meggett, RB
Rd7: Lamar Holmes, OT
Rd7: Bradie Ewing, FB
Rd7: Jacory Harris, QB

what Steelers will do is draft ILB- Donta or Luke or get a DT - Worthy in Rd 1.

steelblood
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I believe the Steelers draft will look something like this...

1 Donta Hightower ILB Alabama
2 Jeff Allen OT Illinois
3 Isaiah Pead RB Cincinnati
4 Lucas Nix G Pittsburgh
5 T.Y. Hilton WR Fla Intl
6 Keith Tandy CB WVU
7 Jerrell Haris OLB Alabama
7 Ishmaa’illly Kitchen NT Kent State
7 Blair Walch K Georgia
7 Kevin Koger TE Michigan

I am having trouble coming up with the draft that I'd go with. But, it would be a draft that focused on adding o-linemen for now and the future, a big WR or TE to help us score points in the red zone, and playmakers on defense to help with picks, forced fumbles, and sacks. This is a very good team, but we need more scoring plays/improved red zone play and forced turnovers and sacks. That seems like a simple statement, but it is a draft strategy I believe in.

Players I like...

Round 1 (in a trade up) Cordy Glenn OT or DeCastro OG, at 24 -- Mark Barron S, Jonathan Martin OT, Stephon Gilmore CB, Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Nick Perry OLB, Devon Still DE, Kevin Zeitler OG (as a last resort)

Round 2 Amini Silatolu OG, Ronnell Lewis OLB, Kelechi Osemele OG/RT, Brandon Brooks OG, Bobby Massie OT, Zebrie Sanders OT, Alameda Ta'Amu NT, Brandon Thompson NT, Mychal Kendricks ILB, Bobby Wagner ILB, Alshon Jeffrey WR

Middle Rounds - Derek Wolfe DE, Mike Martin NT, Josh Robinson CB, Josh Norman CB/FS, Casey Hayward CB, Trumaine Johnson FS/CB, B.J. Cunningham WR, Juron Crinor WR, Ronnie Hillman RB, Marvin Jones WR, Chris Givens WR, Brandon Washington OG, Isaiah Pead RB, Tauren Poole RB, Terrance Ganaway RB, Jake Bequette DE, Greg Childs WR, Hebron Fangupo NT, Tracy Robertson DE, James-Michael Johnson ILB Nevada, Lucas Nix OG, Tom Compton OT, Joe Looney OG, James Brown OG Troy, Senio Kelemete OG, Alex Hoffman OG, Levy Adcock OG/RT, Jeff Adams OT, Matt Reynolds OL, Russell Wilson QB, Bobby Rainey RB, Ryan Broyles WR

Late Rounds - Keith Tandy CB, Joseph Bethel FS, Lamar Holmes OL, Junior Hemingway WR, Jarrett Boykin WR, Lavasier Tuinei WR, Fozzy Whitaker RB, J.R. Sweezy DE, Damon Harrison NT, Cody Johnson FB, Najee Goode ILB, Darrion Weems OL, Josh Ogelsby OL, Matt McCants OL, Drew Butler P, Marquette King P, Shawn Powell P, Bryan Anger P, Patrick Witt QB, Adonis Thomas RB, Bryan Linthicum TE, Danny Coale WR, Nelson Rosario WR/TE, Jerry Franklin ILB, Miles Burris ILB, Keenan Robinson ILB

Oviedo
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I would do is draft Oline

Rd1: Cordy Glenn, OG/OT
Rd2: Mike Martin, NT
Rd3: Brandon Brooks, OG
Rd4: Marvin McNutt, WR
Rd5: Demario Davis, ILB
Rd6: Ryan Van Bergen, DE
Rd7: Davin Meggett, RB
Rd7: Lamar Holmes, OT
Rd7: Bradie Ewing, FB
Rd7: Jacory Harris, QB

what Steelers will do is draft ILB- Donta or Luke or get a DT - Worthy in Rd 1.

I would do the OL like you versus getting defensive players to watch for a year plus. ben is the most importnat person on this team and we should either get players to protect him or get him weapons. I got Fleenor #1 in my mock because I hope Haley can actually use the TE as a weapon to protect Ben by utilizing more quick dump offs versus overly long developing plays where our OL can't sustain blocks and Ben gets hammered.

grotonsteel
04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I would do the OL like you versus getting defensive players to watch for a year plus. ben is the most importnat person on this team and we should either get players to protect him or get him weapons. I got Fleenor #1 in my mock because I hope Haley can actually use the TE as a weapon to protect Ben by utilizing more quick dump offs versus overly long developing plays where our OL can't sustain blocks and Ben gets hammered.

TE can be a weapon if he is not blocking all the time. Unfortunately with porus O-line we need our TE to be involved in blocking.

I agree Steelers need to incorporate quick dump offs to TE/RB a bit more.

Sugar
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
IMO, decent OL can be had after the first round. I'd rather get the future signal caller for the D or a weapon for Ben with the premium pick.