PDA

View Full Version : Pencil in Left Tackle for Eagles

BigRob
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles tendon. Good Bye

Puts them in play for Mike Adams, Reiff, Glenn, etc...

Also makes it less likely for them to select Kuechly... even more so now (I know they have Demeco Ryans)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/report-jason-peters-suffers-achilles-injury-may-need-surgery/

Oviedo
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Looks like they may have to trade up but unlikely any rookie is ready for LT in the NFL.

BigRob
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Looks like they may have to trade up but unlikely any rookie is ready for LT in the NFL.

I could see Glenn or Adams starting as a rookie at LT. I don't know it would be a good idea, but they may be stuck.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
This very well could shake things up in front of us.

Dee Dub
03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I could see Glenn or Adams starting as a rookie at LT. I don't know it would be a good idea, but they may be stuck.

Mike Adams is an inconsistent, weak (19 reps at 225), take plays off, not dedicated to getting better, non-motivated, football player. No way!!

Now, Kalil, Martin, and Glenn could start from day one.

Dee Dub
03-30-2012, 03:20 PM
....but unlikely any rookie is ready for LT in the NFL.

Why not? it happens a lot.

Jake Long
Levi Brown
Joe Thomas
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Chris Samuels
Orlando Pace
Jonathan Ogden
Tony Boselli

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2012, 03:38 PM
The Vikings have been talking about possibly wanting to trade down from #3 to get more picks. They are not going to get a Rams-Redskins like blockbuster because there are only 2 elite QB talents in this draft (and the only way anyone is going to give up a ridiculous multiple 1st round pick package would be for a potentially elite QB). Philly has a mid-first round pick and two second round picks (they own Arizona's pick in round 2 in addition to their own as a result of the Kolb trade last year). Philly's #15, #46, and #51 picks are worth 1880 points, which would be sufficient to get them up to pick #4 (1800) but not #3 (2200)...another 2nd round pick would typically be required to make the numbers work out.

However, if you were Minnesota, in essentially full re-build mode (with the Packers, Bears, and Lions significantly ahead of them at this point, they are essentially the Cleveland Browns of their division now), would you rather just have the 3rd pick in each round, or would you trade that #3 overall pick to the Eagles for a mid-first and a couple of mid-second round picks? That would give them a decent first round pick (1.15) and three second rounders (2.35, 2.46, and 2.51). If you take into account their 3rd & 4th round picks (3.66 and 4.98), that would be 6 picks in the top 100 of this draft...that's a pretty solid haul for a rebuilding team.

Philly would get to replace Peters with the consensus top tackle in the draft (and probably the best all-around tackle prospect to come around since All Pros Jake Long and Joe Thomas). With someone as fragile as Vick, you can't afford to skim on his protection (and there is no other way for Philly to obtain a Matt Kalil level tackle at this stage of the game). Philly's never been afraid to make a bold move in the draft like this before. What do you think? If Minnesota asked for a 2nd round pick in 2013 as well (to make the numbers work out according to the trade value chart), should Andy Reid pull the trigger?

D Rock
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
The Vikings have been talking about possibly wanting to trade down from #3 to get more picks. They are not going to get a Rams-Redskins like blockbuster because there are only 2 elite QB talents in this draft (and the only way anyone is going to give up a ridiculous multiple 1st round pick package would be for a potentially elite QB). Philly has a mid-first round pick and two second round picks (they own Arizona's pick in round 2 in addition to their own as a result of the Kolb trade last year). Philly's #15, #46, and #51 picks are worth 1880 points, which would be sufficient to get them up to pick #4 (1800) but not #3 (2200)...another 2nd round pick would typically be required to make the numbers work out.

However, if you were Minnesota, in essentially full re-build mode (with the Packers, Bears, and Lions significantly ahead of them at this point, they are essentially the Cleveland Browns of their division now), would you rather just have the 3rd pick in each round, or would you trade that #3 overall pick to the Eagles for a mid-first and a couple of mid-second round picks? That would give them a decent first round pick (1.15) and three second rounders (2.35, 2.46, and 2.51). If you take into account their 3rd & 4th round picks (3.66 and 4.98), that would be 6 picks in the top 100 of this draft...that's a pretty solid haul for a rebuilding team.

Philly would get to replace Peters with the consensus top tackle in the draft (and probably the best all-around tackle prospect to come around since All Pros Jake Long and Joe Thomas). With someone as fragile as Vick, you can't afford to skim on his protection (and there is no other way for Philly to obtain a Matt Kalil level tackle at this stage of the game). Philly's never been afraid to make a bold move in the draft like this before. What do you think? If Minnesota asked for a 2nd round pick in 2013 as well (to make the numbers work out according to the trade value chart), should Andy Reid pull the trigger?

Should Andy Reid do it? Maybe. Would I? Nope. I'll take three players in the top two rounds over 1 player all day every day.

birtikidis
03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I love watching teams destroy their future for a knee jerk reaction like this...

Dee Dub
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I love watching teams destroy their future for a knee jerk reaction like this...

Yep!! And the biggest shocker of all may come on draft day when Cleveland selects Ryan Tanneyhill with the #4 overall pick. If they can't trade back they just may do this. If not Miami may take him at #8.

pfelix73
03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
He'll probably wind up a better QB than that dude Washington is gonna take at #2. that's a team that frequently self- destructs.

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Yep!! And the biggest shocker of all may come on draft day when Cleveland selects Ryan Tanneyhill with the #4 overall pick. If they can't trade back they just may do this. If not Miami may take him at #8.

Rumors of St. Louis trading up from #6 to #4 to guarantee themselves Blackmon abound (and since Cleveland may be looking to trade down to get Tannehill...but still ahead of Miami at #8...this could make some sense). According to the trade value chart, moving up from #6 to #4 requires 200 points (1800 vs. 1600). The Rams' early 3rd rounder (65th overall) is worth 265 points, so Cleveland would actually be getting 65 points worth of extra value in that deal. If that happened, then the top of the draft could look like this:

1. Colts: Andrew Luck
2. Redskins: Robert Griffin
3. Vikings: Matt Kalil
4. Rams: Justin Blackmon
5. Bucs: Trent Richardson
6. Browns: Ryan Tannehill
7. Jags: Morris Claiborne

If Tampa decides to not take Richardson at #5 in this scenario (opting for Claiborne instead since Ronde Barber is older than dirt, Aqib Talib may be going to jail, and the newly signed Eric Wright isn't worth anywhere near what Tampa just paid for him in free agency...I understand the VJax and Nicks big money signings since they were so far under that cap because at least those guys are good players...the Wright signing puzzled me), then Cleveland could possibly take Tannehill at #6 and then use some of the ammo they gained in other trades (1.22 from the Falcons last year, their own pick at 2.37 and 3.67, plus the extra third rounder that I projected they received from the Rams in this scenario at 3.65), and they could possibly move up to #7 to take Trent Richardson as well (perhaps something like 1.22, 2.37, and 3.65 for 1.7 and 4.101). Jacksonville could use multiple picks, and since they already have MJD, I doubt they would be coveting Trent for themselves if he were available to them. Cleveland, with Tannehill at #6 and Richardson at #7, could then take whatever WR falls into the early portions of round 3 at 3.67 (there are a lot of WR prospects in this draft...one that they like should be available at that spot. Mohammed Sanu? Chris Givens? Juron Criner? Marvin Jones? Marvin McNutt?). Just a thought...

Rams coach Jeff Fisher says Cleveland Browns at No. 4 are potential trade partner

Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 8:25 AM Updated: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 8:08 PM

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday that the Browns are a "potential trade partner" in the first round of the NFL draft, despite St. Louis not accepting Cleveland's proposal for the No. 2 pick to draft Robert Griffin III.

Fisher said Browns President Mike Holmgren's comments about the Rams and Redskins pulling off the blockbuster deal for No. 2 because of their close relationships wouldn't preclude a draft day deal.

"No, I didn't pay much attention to [Holmgren's] comments," said Fisher, speaking at the annual NFC coaches breakfast. "They were very fruitful discussions. They are a potential trade partner with us."

In addition to swapping their No. 2 for the Redskins' No. 6, the Rams received the Redskins' second-round pick this year (No. 39 overall) and their first-rounders in 2013 and 2014. The Browns reportedly offered their No. 4 and No. 22 this year, and their first-rounder in 2013.

Afterward, Holmgren said on a conference call that the Browns' offer was "every bit the offer" the Redskins made, and that close ties between those clubs sealed the deal. He said he wasn't sure if anything the Browns offered would've been good enough.

So wouldn't it be ironic now for the Rams, who also have the first pick of the second round -- No. 33 overall -- to trade back up with the Browns?

"Yeah, I would think so," Fisher said. "I don't know if we'd consider going that high. Those conversations aren't going to take place until draft day because your guy's got to be there. It'll be interesting to see what kind of compensation they want. We're very happy with the compensation we've got right now over the next couple of years."

Fisher said the Rams have "a very realistic possibility of moving" out of No. 6.

"Yeah, we could go up or down," he said. "It would probably be more realistic for us to move down than it would up. There's going to be a number of very good players at that pick. That would be the reason we'd move down, not because our guy wasn't there. We'd move down because we'd expect there'd be a number of good players and clearly we have a number of needs."

He said he anticipates a market for picks in his No. 6 range. "Again, I don't see anything happening until draft day," he said.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said he's had very preliminary discussions with teams interested in trading up to No. 4. He also said a deal wouldn't happen until draft day, and while it's possible the team might move back a few spots, it wouldn't likely go past No. 8 or so.

Fisher, of course, wouldn't specify which players he'd trade up for, but admitted that Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon is one he likes.

"He ran well [at his Pro Day] and he's an extraordinary athlete with strength, explosion and run-after-catch ability," he said. "He's a bright young man. [He had a] great interview and he's a great teammate. He's a very talented player."

Does Fisher agree with the recent assessment of Falcons GM Thom Dimitroff that Blackmon is the caliber of receiver that teams will trade up for, much like Julio Jones was for the Falcons last year?

"I can see somebody doing that," said Fisher.

Fisher stressed that his close friendship with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan, and the ties between Redskins GM Bruce Allen and Rams executive Kevin Demoff did not impact the Rams' decision to trade with Washington.

"You make a decision that's best for the organization regardless of relationships," said Fisher. "We didn't make a decision because of my relationship with Mike or anyone's relationship with anyone in the organization. Never at any time did we let either club know what offer we had."

He said the Rams may have placed a different value on the various picks, and that having first-rounders through 2014 was significant.

"That's part of it, yeah. That clearly factored in," said Fisher. "Considering our needs, I haven't met the players yet. I realistically don't know what we have. To have an opportunity to have two ones in '13 and '14 really was important to us."

A source said Rams quarterback Sam Bradford's name came up when the Browns were trying to move up to No. 2, but that it was in passing and never got anywhere. The Rams would take a huge cap hit if they traded Bradford, and the Browns would've had to pay Bradford's enormous salary. Over the next four years, his base salaries are $12 million, $9 million, $14.015 million, and $12.985 million. There's even more money in escalators and bonuses.

"If you look at the cap implication realistically, if you were to trade him and draft someone at No. 2, it's not that [good]," said Fisher.

The Browns did try to trade up to No. 1 with the Rams in 2010 to draft Bradford, and Browns coach Pat Shurmur was his offensive coordinator in 2010.

Fisher said teams inquired about Bradford, but wouldn't say which ones. "His name came up -- not from us -- but clubs inquired. But there was no consideration whatsoever to [trading him]."

The Browns and Rams have had opportunities to make deals over the past several years, and on draft day, they may have one more.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/03/rams_coach_jeff_fisher_says_cl.html

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2012, 12:39 AM
He'll probably wind up a better QB than that dude Washington is gonna take at #2. that's a team that frequently self- destructs.

Washington does indeed frequently self-destruct, but it is hard to find flaws in Griffin's game. That guy could be special. He's a superior prospect to recently drafted quarterbacks coming out such as Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Dalton, Kaepernick, Mallett, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, Skelton, Sanchez, Freeman, Flacco, and Henne. He is legitimately in the discussion to be compared with recent top QB picks like Luck, Newton, Bradford, Stafford, and Ryan. Unfortunately, the guys responsible for providing him with skilled weapons and a talented o-line tend to be incompetent more often than not, so you may have a point.

Keyplay1
03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
DRock said: "Should Andy Reid do it? Maybe. Would I? Nope. I'll take three players in the top two rounds over 1 player all day every day."

-----Actually that would be 4 picks in the top two rounds. Better yet!

RB said: "That would give them a decent first round pick (1.15) and three second rounders (2.35, 2.46, and 2.51). If you take into account their 3rd & 4th round picks (3.66 and 4.98), that would be 6 picks in the top 100 of this draft...that's a pretty solid haul for a rebuilding team."

-----Even with me[did not see a game this year] or Bonzo [a much better choice] doing the picking it would not be unreasonable to guarantee the world championship. Even with a just decent type QB [Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, a Joe Kapp or Christian Ponder]

But what really is bothering me is how I have the feeling that PHI is doing everything possible to avoid having to take LK at 15. I mean okay this latest thing sounds like an accident but they did jump on the other LB also.

I was wondering what the fan sentiment on the draft was several weeks ago since nearly all the mocks had PHI taking the LB. I don't visit other MB's but was curious if someone knew if there was a lot of support for that pick earlier.

I am a suspicious sort. I was thinking that they were really not interested in that pick and were pulling some similar strategy like Denver did in dumping Tebow. You know, to minimize fan backlash. Just curious. Maybe they saw something there that turned them off. Then again they were supposedly very weak at LB last year and Ryans I think can play any LB spot. Yeah, I can see them still drafting Kuechly but now a lesser chance. [If that is what you were suggesting Big Rob since you have inferred that circumstances are making the possibility of Luke Kuechly slipping into range of the Steelers a possibility]

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
The last time the Eagles used a 1st round pick on a linebacker? 1979.

They tend to pick offensive or defensive linemen with their top pick more often than not.

Linebacker was their biggest weakness last season (relying on rookie 4th round pick Casey Matthews to be able to start in the middle was a mistake), so the Eagles targeting Kuechly made sense, but trading for DeMeco Ryans to play MLB filled that hole (he was an awesome MLB for Houston when they ran the 4-3, but then got hurt and did not fit in their new 3-4 scheme nearly as well). Ryans doesn't solve all of their woes at LB, but it isn't necessarily the priority that it once was anymore. Now they can focus on d-line or o-line (especially now with Peters going down for the year) like they are used to. I suggested earlier the possible trade-up for Kalil (but now that I think about it, giving up all of those picks to get the one truly elite LT in this draft may not be worth it, since he wouldn't be protecting the left-handed Mike Vick's blind side). If they stay put at #15, I could see them going for a DT like Fletcher Cox at this point.