PDA

View Full Version : Philly's First Round Prediction

phillyesq
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Every year, throughout the process, there ends up being a guy that I want the Steelers to draft, and one I'd like to see them avoid like the plague. More often than not, the Steelers draft the guy I want to avoid.

The last player that I really wanted them to draft who they did eventually draft was Polamalu.

Among selections I hoped to avoid going into the draft were Ben (didn't like a QB described as raw -- I wanted Deanglo Hall), Heath Miller (no issue with Miller as a player, but didn't think the Steelers would utilize him), Timmons (I wanted Revis, thought Timmons was more potential than production), Santonio (hated the pick, laregly because I'm not an Ohio State fan), Heyward (Ohio State), and Pouncey (initially didn't like center at 19 overall, came around to the pick as the time got closer). Usually, the Steelers have proved why they run the front office and I talk about them on a message board. Also, I always come around to root for the player. I really like Heyward's potential, I've liked Heath's game from day 1, etc. I like Pouncey the player, and still think that Timmons is more potential than production.

In any event, the player this year that I absolutely don't want to see drafted, thus, my prediction for the Steelers first round pick, is another Ohio State alum, Mr. Mike Adams. If he ends up being the pick, I'll hate it at first and gripe and moan for a while, but will hope that he proves me wrong like Ben, Heath and some of the others. :tt2

calmkiller
03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
So you are telling me you didn't like the Ben or Heath picks? I was ecstatic when we got both of those guys.

Oviedo
03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Every year, throughout the process, there ends up being a guy that I want the Steelers to draft, and one I'd like to see them avoid like the plague. More often than not, the Steelers draft the guy I want to avoid.

The last player that I really wanted them to draft who they did eventually draft was Polamalu.

Among selections I hoped to avoid going into the draft were Ben (didn't like a QB described as raw -- I wanted Deanglo Hall), Heath Miller (no issue with Miller as a player, but didn't think the Steelers would utilize him), Timmons (I wanted Revis, thought Timmons was more potential than production), Santonio (hated the pick, laregly because I'm not an Ohio State fan), Heyward (Ohio State), and Pouncey (initially didn't like center at 19 overall, came around to the pick as the time got closer). Usually, the Steelers have proved why they run the front office and I talk about them on a message board. Also, I always come around to root for the player. I really like Heyward's potential, I've liked Heath's game from day 1, etc. I like Pouncey the player, and still think that Timmons is more potential than production.

In any event, the player this year that I absolutely don't want to see drafted, thus, my prediction for the Steelers first round pick, is another Ohio State alum, Mr. Mike Adams. If he ends up being the pick, I'll hate it at first and gripe and moan for a while, but will hope that he proves me wrong like Ben, Heath and some of the others. :tt2

I would also hate Mike "Jamain Stephens" Adams as a pick but Colbert and Co. get it more right than wrong so once he is picked I'm a fan.

phillyesq
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
So you are telling me you didn't like the Ben or Heath picks? I was ecstatic when we got both of those guys.

At the times, yes. I thought Heath was a great talent but was afraid that the coaching staff would make him Mark Bruener, part II. I'm happy that they did not. I wasn't a fan of the Big Ben pick at the time -- I thought he had a lot of risk and bust potential. Thankfully, he proved me wrong.

Like I said, I often get it wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I really liked the Ben, Troy, Heath, and Mendenhall picks, and loved the second round picks of Woodley (good call) and Sweed (ugh) as well.

Liked the Santonio pick itself, but thought that we gave up too much in the trade, so that put a damper on it (although I thought it was smart turning our 2nd round pick that year into two 3rd round picks to make up for the loss of a 3rd and 4th round pick in the Holmes trade...of course those two 3rd rounders turned into Anthony Smith and Willie Reid, so what do I know).

Wasn't sure about the Timmons and Hood picks (of course, I was hoping for Adam Carriker and Eben Britton with those picks, so, again, what do I know).

The last first round pick I truly hated was Troy Edwards...I wanted Torry Holt (good call) or David Boston (ugh), and when those guys were off the board, I couldn't believe that we made a HUGE reach for the 3rd WR, when John Tait and Jevon Kearse were still on the board.

phillyesq
03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I really liked the Ben, Troy, Heath, and Mendenhall picks, and loved the second round picks of Woodley (good call) and Sweed (ugh) as well.

Liked the Santonio pick itself, but thought that we gave up too much in the trade, so that put a damper on it (although I thought it was smart turning our 2nd round pick that year into two 3rd round picks to make up for the loss of a 3rd and 4th round pick in the Holmes trade...of course those two 3rd rounders turned into Anthony Smith and Willie Reid, so what do I know).

Wasn't sure about the Timmons and Hood picks (of course, I was hoping for Adam Carriker and Eben Britton with those picks, so, again, what do I know).

The last first round pick I truly hated was Troy Edwards...I wanted Torry Holt (good call) or David Boston (ugh), and when those guys were off the board, I couldn't believe that we made a HUGE reach for the 3rd WR, when John Tait and Jevon Kearse were still on the board.

I also remember really wanting Holt or Boston in that draft and hating the Edwards pick with Kearse and Tait still out there.

In the Ziggy Hood draft, I was hoping for Mack or Wood, and really didn't know a whole lot about Ziggy.

Slapstick
03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I would have preferred the Steelers to take even Kevin Johnson over Troy Edwards...

In his rookie season, he had almost 1,000 yards and 8 TDs...

His career was not spectacular by any means, but it was better than Edwards...

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I also remember really wanting Holt or Boston in that draft and hating the Edwards pick with Kearse and Tait still out there.

In the Ziggy Hood draft, I was hoping for Mack or Wood, and really didn't know a whole lot about Ziggy.

I was on the Mack bandwagon big time that year, but Cleveland took him way earlier than I thought he would go (after trading down multiple times, if I recall correctly). I wasn't the biggest fan of taking Wood with our first pick (Buffalo eliminated that possibility for us anyway), but I wanted to trade up in the 2nd round for Max Unger.

phillyesq
03-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I was on the Mack bandwagon big time that year, but Cleveland took him way earlier than I thought he would go (after trading down multiple times, if I recall correctly). I wasn't the biggest fan of taking Wood with our first pick (Buffalo eliminated that possibility for us anyway), but I wanted to trade up in the 2nd round for Max Unger.

I wasn't a huge fan of Unger -- I liked him least of the three interior lineman. Out of curiosity, how has he done in Seattle?

You are right on Mack -- the Browns traded back a few times and took him much earlier than expected. The Bills also surprised me when they grabbed Wood.

Incidentally, of all the recent centers to come out, I was probably highest on Ryan Kalil. Just thought he would be a great fit, especially in the running game.

Oviedo
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I would have preferred the Steelers to take even Kevin Johnson over Troy Edwards...

In his rookie season, he had almost 1,000 yards and 8 TDs...

His career was not spectacular by any means, but it was better than Edwards...

Troy Edwards is a case study in avoiding small school picks early in the draft. Jamain Stephens was another failure picked in Round 1 from outside a big power conference school.

Multi-year starters from power conferences are more of a sure thing.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of Unger -- I liked him least of the three interior lineman. Out of curiosity, how has he done in Seattle?

You are right on Mack -- the Browns traded back a few times and took him much earlier than expected. The Bills also surprised me when they grabbed Wood.

Incidentally, of all the recent centers to come out, I was probably highest on Ryan Kalil. Just thought he would be a great fit, especially in the running game.

Yeah, where we were picking in the middle of the 2nd round that year, I was surprised that Kalil was still there (of course, I was surprised that Woodley was also there...I would have been happy with either of them)

As for Unger, it looks like he started all 16 games as a rookie for the Seahawks in 2009, then missed all but one game in 2010 with a toe injury, and came back to start 15 games last year.

Dee Dub
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I would like the Steelers to stay away from these guys...

Riley Reiff, Dontari Poe, Janoris Jenkins (character issues), Jerel Worthy, Mike Adams, Zach Brown, Kelechi Osemele, and Stephen Hill (in only the first round--second round and beyond--Ok). Some of them they wont have a chance to draft but still they are on my Fool's Gold List.

Oviedo
03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
I would like the Steelers to stay away from these guys...

Riley Reiff, Dontari Poe, Janoris Jenkins (character issues), Jerel Worthy, Mike Adams, Zach Brown, Kelechi Osemele, and Stephen Hill (in only the first round--second round and beyond--Ok). Some of them they wont have a chance to draft but still they are on my Fool's Gold List.

I'd have no issue with Osemele or Brown in Round 2. Don't want any of the others.

I'm really torn on Reiff. Hear good and bad. Seems to be the same for Johnathon Martin. Can't get an accurate read on either of them and saw very limited games they played. Any other opinions?

Dee Dub
03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
I'd have no issue with Osemele or Brown in Round 2. Don't want any of the others.

I'm really torn on Reiff. Hear good and bad. Seems to be the same for Johnathon Martin. Can't get an accurate read on either of them and saw very limited games they played. Any other opinions?

I've seen Reiff play many times and I was left shaking my head everytime. I dont udnerstand why he is rated as high as he is. He spends a lot of time on the ground. Most it is by him diving at the pass rushers legs.

Osemele is pure garbage. I wouldnt use a second on him. I'll admit I only seen him at LT but regardless he was like a turnstile.

Jonathan Martin is the real deal. He is one of the most well rounded tackles in this draft. I saw him a lot as well. There's a lot to like about him.