PDA

View Full Version : Will Steelers open season on Sunday night?

fordfixer
03-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Will Steelers open season on Sunday night?
March, 27, 2012
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44826/will-steelers-open-season-on-sunday-night

By Jamison Hensley
There are rumblings that the Pittsburgh Steelers will open the regular season at the Denver Broncos on Sunday Night Football.

The Broncos have received word that they will kick off the season in prime time on Sunday, according to the Denver Post, which suggests the Steelers are the best bet to be the opponent. There are other candidates, but The Post speculates the NFL wouldn't want a prime-time game involving the scandal-ridden Saints, or put the Broncos on the road at New England.

It would make sense scheduling the Steelers at the Broncos, which is a rematch of last season's divisional playoff game.

The news has already circulated to Steelers safety Ryan Clark, who sat out the playoff game because the high altitude can affect his blood condition. "Hearing Steelers @ Broncos could be 1st Sunday night game of the season," Clark posted on Twitter. "If that happens, guess I'll wait for week 2."

This probably won't get confirmed for another month. The full NFL schedule is typically released a week before the draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2012, 02:45 AM
I wish the season started tomorrow already...

SteelBucks
03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
I want the Giants to kickoff the season, but I'm okay with beating up the other Manning's debut.

Oviedo
03-28-2012, 07:25 AM
The Steelers versus Manning's first game as a Bronco would be a huge draw on National TV so I could see this happening.

The whole Ryna Clark can't play again is getting a little old. We need to get a "free safety of the future" sooner rather than later. I guess that since it is the first game of the season the good news is that we can train someone all through the pre-season.

Is it time to draft Mark Barron in Round 1?

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
I want the Giants to kickoff the season, but I'm okay with beating up the other Manning's debut.

They already announced that first game of the season will be Dallas at the Giants (and it will be held on a Wednesday, since Obama will be speaking at the Democratic National Convention that Thursday)...at least the official start to the season will be one day earlier (for the less patient among us).

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
The Steelers versus Manning's first game as a Bronco would be a huge draw on National TV so I could see this happening.

The whole Ryna Clark can't play again is getting a little old. We need to get a "free safety of the future" sooner rather than later. I guess that since it is the first game of the season the good news is that we can train someone all through the pre-season.

I'd rather Barron than Adams (and I've been on the "drafting big & ugly early" train for years now).

phillyesq
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I'd rather Barron than Adams (and I've been on the "drafting big & ugly early" train for years now).

What happened to the little "I Agree" insert?

Djfan
03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
The Steel City Mafia is going to do a big bash for whenever he Steelers come to town. Stay tuned......

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
What happened to the little "I Agree" insert?

:Agree There is a "More" box under the smilies (which you can't read because it is black text on a black background for some reason...the oldies but goodies are all still there).

Crash
03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
I hope we do. Then we should leak out how when we were SB Champs heading into 2006 how the Broncos begged the league not to have them open in Pittsburgh that Thursday night.

Just like when the Ravens were whining about it after 2007.

williar
03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Uuhh! I wouldn't like that.. I love Peyton Manning and I would hate to have to root against him in his first game back.

Crash
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Uuhh! I wouldn't like that.. I love Peyton Manning and I would hate to have to root against him in his first game back.

So that makes you a Peyton fan first and a Steelers fan second IMO.

Hit the bricks.

Keyplay1
04-01-2012, 12:03 PM
They already announced that first game of the season will be Dallas at the Giants (and it will be held on a Wednesday, since Obama will be speaking at the Democratic National Convention that Thursday)...at least the official start to the season will be one day earlier (for the less patient among us).

Good! I don't think it was a good idea to start at Denver at all. Even though under Tomlin the Steelers have been more than ready game 1. This year it would probably be better to start the season with less media focus. Plenty of time for prime time glitter later on.

ikestops85
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Good! I don't think it was a good idea to start at Denver at all. Even though under Tomlin the Steelers have been more than ready game 1. This year it would probably be better to start the season with less media focus. Plenty of time for prime time glitter later on.

We could still get the first SUNDAY night game against Manning in Denver. That would certainly be a media circus given that they ended our season last year. Personally I would love for us to face off against them to start the season. I have a feeling Ike might want to also. ;-)

Djfan
04-01-2012, 11:14 PM
It seems to me that defenses fair better during the early games, than they do later int he season. I want Manning while he is still trying to find his Denver game, not when he has figured it out.

Eich
04-02-2012, 08:50 AM
So that makes you a Peyton fan first and a Steelers fan second IMO.

Hit the bricks.

If you read what he said, it would mean he's a Steelers fan FIRST and a Peyton fan after. The fact that he'd rather not see the two open the season against each other does not override this.

steelz09
04-02-2012, 10:49 AM

I agree about the FS assessment. I rank FS up there towards the top of the "position of need" scale. Clark has been a steady performer for this franchise and he's a leader. But we need someone for "now" and for the future. Even in Peyton's first game back in action, I would NOT feel comfortable with any of our FS backups starting.

focosteeler
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I agree about the FS assessment. I rank FS up there towards the top of the "position of need" scale. Clark has been a steady performer for this franchise and he's a leader. But we need someone for "now" and for the future. Even in Peyton's first game back in action, I would NOT feel comfortable with any of our FS backups starting.

I would be more comfortable with Mundy starting for Clark over anyone we draft or any of the guys we signed this winter. I highly doubt a rookie or a guy in his first year with us would see the field before Mundy

Oviedo
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I would be more comfortable with Mundy starting for Clark over anyone we draft or any of the guys we signed this winter. I highly doubt a rookie or a guy in his first year with us would see the field before Mundy

Mundy didn't exactly prove himself in the last game in Denver and we would actually be playing a QB who can throw the ball this time.

focosteeler
04-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Mundy didn't exactly prove himself in the last game in Denver and we would actually be playing a QB who can throw the ball this time.

I agree with you but with the way our Defense is run I think there is no chance a rookie starts at Saftey the first game of the season. And since we arent playing tebow Im sure our game plan will be much more balanced than it was.

Keyplay1
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Even though I know this game will not happen I was going to post a lengthy reply anyhow. [just practicing and getting in shape for the regular season.] ------- This is what happened.

I listed all the reasons I did not think opening there was not a good idea. Then I pasted the Steelers record vs Denver since 1983. [6-12]

Then I dug up the official news story from nfl.com and pasted what RuthlessBurgher said in his post.

Then I ranted about the fact that nfl.com inserted a 6 min video in the measly 3 lines I tried to paste. I could not delete it so I watched it. It sucked. I commented "Did the Steelers score a TD in 2011"

Then I acknowledged that some poster may be correct that playing them early Payton might be better----Then I finally hit the submit button.

I got a Page not Found Error 404 message. And the post disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?

And yes, this time I did like was suggested by an admin person and sent the info to the site people.

focosteeler
04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Even though I know this game will not happen I was going to post a lengthy reply anyhow. [just practicing and getting in shape for the regular season.] ------- This is what happened.

I listed all the reasons I did not think opening there was not a good idea. Then I pasted the Steelers record vs Denver since 1983. [6-12]

Then I dug up the official news story from nfl.com and pasted what RuthlessBurgher said in his post.

Then I ranted about the fact that nfl.com inserted a 6 min video in the measly 3 lines I tried to paste. I could not delete it so I watched it. It sucked. I commented "Did the Steelers score a TD in 2011"

Then I acknowledged that some poster may be correct that playing them early Payton might be better----Then I finally hit the submit button.

I got a Page not Found Error 404 message. And the post disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?

And yes, this time I did like was suggested by an admin person and sent the info to the site people.

It happened to me twice in the NFL draft thread. I attempted to give a long response to Ruthless posts and it gave me the same thing twice. So I gave up.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
In the moderator discussion forum, we have an open thread about the error messages. I was having some issues 2 weeks ago, but haven't had any since then; however, others had some new issues since last week. John is looking into it. Keep letting us know if you are having any problems. Thanks for your patience, folks...

ikestops85
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
It happened to me twice in the NFL draft thread. I attempted to give a long response to Ruthless posts and it gave me the same thing twice. So I gave up.

It's obviously a problem when responding to a Ruthless post. I think you will find if you stop responding to his posts you will not run into this problem. :moon

:lol::lol:

Keyplay1
04-02-2012, 05:21 PM
focosteeler said: "It happened to me twice in the NFL draft thread. I attempted to give a long response to Ruthless posts and it gave me the same thing twice. So I gave up."

Okay, then it is not only my browser. Since it happened a couple times, now before I hit the submit button I hit the preview the post and then submitted from there and have not gotten the error 404 message.

However, in all the cases of a successful post I did not add either a video or a copy paste of some info from another site. I have not had the occasion to post with that added stuff so I don't know if just previewing the post first will work in that situation.

But, since this used to happen to me before I got the DSL connection I did find a safeguard.

Before I took a chance on posting a researched reply I would save it on the Mozilla add on Session Manager. So this is a sure-fire safeguard as it will save the entire reply. [For some reason just saving the reply on the save as under the File all that it saves is the blank reply page]

Now what happened to my last lost reply was my fault since I forgot I upgraded my browser and did not re-download the Session Mgr. so it was not save as I had thought. As a matter of fact I think I am going to save this because no way I am typing all this again.

ALSO: RuthlessBurgher said: "In the moderator discussion forum, we have an open thread about the error messages. I was having some issues 2 weeks ago, but haven't had any since then; however, others had some new issues since last week. John is looking into it. Keep letting us know if you are having any problems. Thanks for your patience, folks..."

-----Okay, but where is it now? All I could find was Steelz09's thread about non Steeler talk.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
-----Okay, but where is it now? All I could find was Steelz09's thread about non Steeler talk.

The moderator forum is a private forum for moderators and administrators only (where the mods and the owner of the board can discuss any board issues amongst ourselves...such as these type of tech problems or even issues regarding potentially bannings and such...without having to PM each other all the time). I brought up your recent 404 Error concern from today on that forum. John (steelz09) will either contact you directly about it, or else he will let me know what he found out, and I'll pass that along to you.

Keyplay1
04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
RuthlessBurgher said: "I brought up your recent 404 Error concern from today on that forum. John (steelz09) will either contact you directly about it, or else he will let me know what he found out, and I'll pass that along to you."

Okay, and ty. Meanwhile, I did a little checking and found out that usually the 404 error is "client-based". That figures. I screwed up plenty of posts before the new board came on.:) As a matter of fact quite often my posts would say invalid try again. Then it would post.

But anyway, it was suggested that the error might be corrected by simply hitting the refresh the page button. That did not occur to me. I did a go back a page and it went back to the thread and the reply was gone. Probably focosteeler did the same thing. I am now hoping it happens again to see if that works.

Incidentally, ikestops85, it happened on a BigRob thread. Hmm! Come to think about it maybe it was on a reply to a RuthlessBurgher post in that thread. You could be on to something here.:)

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Did you guys ever notice that when you are typing, that a little "Auto-Saved" indicator (it's a small yellow box with black text) shows up briefly in the right side of the box you are typing in every so often, then fades away? If you get some sort of error that seemingly eliminates everything you wrote, you can go back to the same thread again, and now there should be a long grey box in the lower left corner of this text box (with yellow text that can be hard to read) which says "Restore Auto-Saved Content." If you click that box, all of the text that you typed since the last time the "Auto-Saved" indicator showed should magically reappear (and thought you lost it all). Try it...type a sentence or two (until the yellow "Auto-Saved" indicator shows up), then before submitting what you wrote try "accidentally" clicking away to a different page instead, then returning back to the same thread to see if the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" box works for you.

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM

yes, it's happened to me so many times lately that I just decided to post sparingly until the flaws have been worked out with the new server and system...very frustrating, to say the least.

fordfixer
04-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Perhaps we could get a box that pops up and say's "Caution you are replying to a RuthlessBurgher post all data may be lost"

BTW I have got the 404 error also

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Perhaps we could get a box that pops up and say's "Caution you are replying to a RuthlessBurgher post all data may be lost"

Mine just says, "Caution, you are RuthlessBurgher...others may not be able to handle your awesomeness..." :p

NJ-STEELER
04-04-2012, 12:15 AM

i dont love or hate him, but didnt he have 2 forced fumbles in that game or am i mixing it up with another game he started.

and that last play was all DL's scheme

Djfan
04-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Mine just says, "Caution, you are RuthlessBurgher...others may not be able to handle your awesomeness..." :p

They should have a private "RuthlessBurgher" forum, much like the private "moderator" forum. That way you can post to yourself, comment on it, and have some of the 404 errors show up, all in your own little world of awesomeness.

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
They should have a private "RuthlessBurgher" forum, much like the private "moderator" forum. That way you can post to yourself, comment on it, and have some of the 404 errors show up, all in your own little world of awesomeness.

That's pretty much what goes on inside my own head, 24 hours a day. I'd invite you to visit sometime (a la DiCaprio in Inception), but your head would probably explode from the magnitude of the awesomeness. :lol:

BackwoodsSteeler
04-05-2012, 07:06 AM
When writing a long post, before hitting the submit button, copy the post. If you get timed out, you can then paste it in a new post when you get back on.

fordfixer
04-05-2012, 06:46 PM
That's pretty much what goes on inside my own head, 24 hours a day. I'd invite you to visit sometime (a la DiCaprio in Inception), but your head would probably explode from the magnitude of the awesomeness. :lol:

Kinda like Darth Vader getting Luke to come over to the "dark side"

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Kinda like Darth Vader getting Luke to come over to the "dark side"

LUUUKE...I AM YOUR MODERATOR!!! :cool:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CClnPs0rBvg/TvVDmMJ8kEI/AAAAAAAAAhA/JxmutHelSFk/s1600/empire+strikes+back.jpg

Djfan
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.