PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger-Haley Relationship To Be Productive

fordfixer
03-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Tomlin Expects Roethlisberger-Haley Relationship To Be Productive
March 27, 2012 8:29 PM

(Credit: KDKA)
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/03/27/tomlin-expects-roethlisberger-haley-relationship-to-be-productive/

PALM BEACH, Fla. (KDKA) — Ben Roethlisberger was a Bruce Arians backer and lobbied hard to keep him in place as the offensive coordinator.

When that didn’t happen, it took a while for Roethlisberger and Haley to connect – they waited a week and a half before they met and now that working relationship is under way.

There’s a contrast in style between Arians and Haley who is known to be tough on his players, especially quarterbacks.

“We all have swings in emotion. We all use different coaching techniques,” Tomlin said. “I’d agree that he does have a reputation in that regard, but I’m not going to prejudge him. Like any good coach, I’m sure he’s prepared to be whatever the group needs him to be.”

Tomlin says he doesn’t expect smooth sailing in the quarterback-offensive coordinator relationship, but he believes it will be a productive one as time goes on.
He was impressed with Haley – very impressed during the interview process.

“The way he embraces the standard that is the Pittsburgh Steelers – I think that’s something that you can’t quantify, something – that’s an intangible that you can’t quantify that I think is going to help us,” Tomlin said.

“I think that when somebody legitimately understands and embraces what comes with being part of our organization, I think it’s a leg up,” he added. “I saw similar things in Carnell Lake a year ago and I’m always going to be attracted to that because this is a unique place. I want men that embrace the legacy.”

Roethlisberger’s legacy so far has been his ability to keep plays alive at times to his own detriment. Art Rooney II said Ben’s style needs to be tweaked. Tomlin doesn’t necessarily agree.

“I don’t think we’re at that point. I think that, you know, that point’s maybe somewhere in the future – you acknowledge that, you know. He’s probably as old a guy as we got on the offense, so it’s something to be said for that, but I don’t think we’re at the point where we think he’s diminishing physically to the point where he has to alter his game from that perspective.”

“He runs around for 12 seconds and throws a 70-yard touchdown, I like it,” he continued. “When he gets hit and injured, you don’t like it, so I’ll sincerely say it depends on the outcome of the play. .. He’s got a unique skill set and it benefits us and benefits him. Let’s just continue to focus on utilizing it for good.”

Tomlin says the Steelers do plan on bringing in another quarterback whether through free agency or the NFL draft.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2012, 02:38 AM
I sure hope so...

Oviedo
03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Tomlin is right on several accounts. Don't prejudge! It won't be all smooth sailing! It will be productive!

Ben will benefit from someone pushing him to evolve out of his comfort zone. It may take a while for him to see that, but I really believe this will be a good match the more I have thought about it. With ben getting older he has to do thing differently. I don't think Arians would ever force him to to that. I do think Haley will call plays that will "protect" Ben more too versus letting Ben just be a gunslinger.

Slapstick
03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Unless Ben was merely paying lip service to Kurt Warner about admiring him after the Super Bowl, he should take Warner's opinion regarding Haley into account...

Djfan
03-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Tomlin is right on several accounts. Don't prejudge! It won't be all smooth sailing! It will be productive!

Ben will benefit from someone pushing him to evolve out of his comfort zone. It may take a while for him to see that, but I really believe this will be a good match the more I have thought about it. With ben getting older he has to do thing differently. I don't think Arians would ever force him to to that. I do think Haley will call plays that will "protect" Ben more too versus letting Ben just be a gunslinger.

Exactly my thoughts.

SteelBucks
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM

I agree. Noll and Bradshaw proved that you don't have to be buddy-buddy to be effective.

Djfan
03-28-2012, 02:56 PM
I agree. Noll and Bradshaw proved that you don't have to be buddy-buddy to be effective.

There are probably examples to demonstrate how buddy-buddy QBs and OCs are a bad thing (he says while begging the question!).

Sugar
03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
For all we know, Haley and Ben could be having sleepovers by the time the season starts. It really doesn't matter, both men are pro's and will do the right thing. IDK that Haley will actually push Ben any more than Arians did. We only see a part of the equation and it's all good if they are putting a great product on the field.

Djfan
03-29-2012, 12:27 AM
and it's all good if they are putting a great product on the field.

And use that great team wisely.

Crash
03-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Scrapping the entire offense for a new playbook is dumb at this point.

I guess they DO want to run the ball 50 times a game.

Because changing things completely now makes no sense at all.

Crash
03-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Btw, for the last 6 years of his career John Elway had his hand picked pals "running" their offense after spending the first 10 years of his career in Dan Reeves' dinosaur offense.

Now pull up his numbers from 1993-1998 once Reeves left.

D Rock
03-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Scrapping the entire offense for a new playbook is dumb at this point.

I guess they DO want to run the ball 50 times a game.

Because changing things completely now makes no sense at all.

Because BA's playbook worked wonders, right?

Haley has said there will be a lot of carry over in terminology but that the playbook is a clean slate. Maybe they will keep what worked and toss what didn't. If these guys can't learn new plays using their old terminology then they don't deserve to be in the NFL.

Oviedo
03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Because BA's playbook worked wonders, right?

Haley has said there will be a lot of carry over in terminology but that the playbook is a clean slate. Maybe they will keep what worked and toss what didn't. If these guys can't learn new plays using their old terminology then they don't deserve to be in the NFL.

What a novel concept: keep what works and delete what doesn't.

Can't see what is wrong with a good critical review of the playbook and possibly modifying it to match the talents and abilities of the players we have versus forcing a template. Perhaps haley should take the guy on the other side of the ball out to dinner and explain the concept:stirpot

Slapstick
03-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Really, there should not be any radical changes...

This offense is still, for the most part, the offense that Ben has been running since 2004 when Whisenhunt was OC...

Whisenhunt's and Haley's offensive systems are pretty close (see Arizona), so I would not be surprised if much of the terminology carried over...

Haley will base the offense upon what the offense does well...not just what Roethlisberger likes to do, which may not always be the same thing....

Oviedo
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Given that we were #21 in the league in scoring last year does anyone really believe we have it all figured out with regards to our plays and how we have our scheme set up?

A new playbook does not mean you are burning the old one, but an improvement is without a doubt called for based on the results we see in games. Plus it is never a bad thing to challenge players and get them out of their comfirt zone. The players knowing there are changes will force them to pay more attention to details to learn new terminology, variations, etc. It may also put a little more pressure on them because new guys are now starting from the same place they are.

Crash
03-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Haley will base the offense upon what the offense does well...not just what Roethlisberger likes to do

Arians never did that either. If he did he wouldn't have wasted so much time with 2-3 TE garbage.

According to the PG, the OL blocking schemes will remain the same. Everything else is being scrapped.

Great, let the garbage OL alone and make the skill guys on this team learn a new system.

Wonderful.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
What a novel concept: keep what works and delete what doesn't.

Can't see what is wrong with a good critical review of the playbook and possibly modifying it to match the talents and abilities of the players we have versus forcing a template. Perhaps haley should take the guy on the other side of the ball out to dinner and explain the concept:stirpot

Lord knows the personnel we have on defense is not suited to play in LeBeau's 3-4 scheme. :roll:

grotonsteel
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
2-3 TE set has to go.

Offense will do well if you have your best players on the field. Last season best players were Ben-MW-AB-Sanders-JC-Miller

DJ and Wesley Sanders has no buisness to be on the field.

I want to see more 3-4 WR set under Haley. And for a change don't keep your TE only for blocking.

Draft O-line heavily in this draft because right now Steelers have only 3 starters of which 1 has not played for 2 years now.

Oviedo
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
2-3 TE set has to go.

Offense will do well if you have your best players on the field. Last season best players were Ben-MW-AB-Sanders-JC-Miller

DJ and Wesley Sanders has no buisness to be on the field.

I want to see more 3-4 WR set under Haley. And for a change don't keep your TE only for blocking.

Draft O-line heavily in this draft because right now Steelers have only 3 starters of which 1 has not played for 2 years now.

Better Guards will equal a better offense. The same Guards will equal the same problems.

Crash
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
And they aren't changing the OL blocking schemes which tells me the OL will remain mostly the same and they'll draft defense early.

I guess they do want to turn Ben into Carson Palmer.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Offense will do well if you have your best players on the field. Last season best players were Ben-MW-AB-Sanders-JC-Miller.

So are you advocating a 4-WR, 1-TE, 0-RB set to utilize our best players? Unless we are attempting a Hail Mary pass, I never understood the mentality of the empty backfield. Without at least the possible threat of a run, teams can just pins their ears back and rush the passer with reckless abandon.

grotonsteel
03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
And they aren't changing the OL blocking schemes which tells me the OL will remain mostly the same and they'll draft defense early.

I guess they do want to turn Ben into Carson Palmer.

Well if they are not changing the O-line then i guess i will start Fire Haley thread in Week-2.

Steelers Offense will struggle if they don't improve their O-line. Currently Steelers don't have a LT. Last season they went with J Scott as LT. Are you kidding me??? Max Starks was the savior last season. Before that Flozell Adams. You just can;t play musical chairs with O-line.

People say Tom Brady make their O-line better and still Billicheat keep drafting O-line early in the draft even though their Defense sucks.

Crash
03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Tom Brady has 3 of the next 8 highest paid players on the Pats after him on his own OL. Last season 8 of the highest paid Steelers after Ben played defense.

Shawn
03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
To have an offensive production as putrid as the Steelers, with the level of talent on the O side of the ball is unacceptable. I am all for a complete scrap of the playbook. Shoot, I wish I could get ahold of a Steeler playbook and burn it...bondfire style.

grotonsteel
03-29-2012, 05:20 PM
So are you advocating a 4-WR, 1-TE, 0-RB set to utilize our best players? Unless we are attempting a Hail Mary pass, I never understood the mentality of the empty backfield. Without at least the possible threat of a run, teams can just pins their ears back and rush the passer with reckless abandon.

I am not an advocate of Empty Backfield on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. But I would not mind more empty backfield if your RB is not good enough. I am not again expecting a 7 or 5-step drop with empty backfield. 3-step drop and ball is out within 1.5 sec. Let the teams rush the passer no one can get to the QB in 2 sec unless you are Melvin Ingram from USc..;)

grotonsteel
03-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Tom Brady has 3 of the next 8 highest paid players on the Pats after him on his own OL. Last season 8 of the highest paid Steelers after Ben played defense.

And people say Tom Brady makes his O-line look better. :rolleyes:

Not one single NFL team is willing to sign Steelers O-linemen. Starks was out of job last season when Steelers got him back. Essux,Kemo, Legs and Foster No offer yet.

DBR96A
03-30-2012, 05:40 AM
And people say Tom Brady makes his O-line look better. :rolleyes:

Not one single NFL team is willing to sign Steelers O-linemen. Starks was out of job last season when Steelers got him back. Essux,Kemo, Legs and Foster No offer yet.

For that matter, the starting C and RG during Super Bowl XLIII were both out of football within a year, and not due to old age either. Hell, Super Bowl XLIII was the last we'd seen Darnell Stapleton, and we haven't heard from Justin Hartwig since Maurkice Pouncey was drafted.

Oviedo
03-30-2012, 07:21 AM

Even with that embarassment of riches on the defensive side of ball Tim Tebow embarassed us last year in the play-offs. But hey I'm a just "hater" and everything is OK with the defense. Just stay on cruise control.

ikestops85
03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Even with that embarassment of riches on the defensive side of ball Tim Tebow embarassed us last year in the play-offs. But hey I'm a just "hater" and everything is OK with the defense. Just stay on cruise control.

Yes, but that defense "embarassed" Tom Brady in the regular season. :moon

We can all pick out a game here and a game there. ;)

Oviedo
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes, but that defense "embarassed" Tom Brady in the regular season. :moon

We can all pick out a game here and a game there. ;)

The embarassed Tom Brady went to the Super Bowl and we didn't. I'm sure that helped him get over his embarassment:wink:

Crash
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes, but that defense "embarassed" Tom Brady in the regular season)Yay, the beat Brady for the first time since 2004. He only won his previous four games against them. And let's not forget, the Steelers OFFENSE held the ball for 40 minutes that game. And what happened in the 4th? LeBeau's prevent AGAIN gave up a cheap TD and put the Patriots back in the game.

ikestops85
03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Yay, the beat Brady for the first time since 2004. He only won his previous four games against them. And let's not forget, the Steelers OFFENSE held the ball for 40 minutes that game. And what happened in the 4th? LeBeau's prevent AGAIN gave up a cheap TD and put the Patriots back in the game.

and here I thought a game was 60 minutes. When did they knock it down to 15?

Slapstick
03-30-2012, 12:43 PM
The D held the Patriots O to 83 yards in the first half...

The Patriots probably wouldn't have been that close if Ben hadn't thrown a pick to Guyton...

Oh, and Suisham missed that FG in the fourth...

But, those are on the defense...

Crash
03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
The defense wasn't on the field. The offense kept Brady on the sidelines the entire freaking game. Bottom line is Dick LeBeau's prevent defense sucks. It's always sucked. And it will suck for as long as he's our DC. I have no idea, why he would stop allowing his players to continue to do what works for 45 minutes, in the final 15.

Crash
03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
and here I thought a game was 60 minutes. When did they knock it down to 15?What happens in the first 45 is pretty pointless when LeBeau constantly allows teams to hang around in the 4th quarter. Sad, I have more confidence in his normal scheme and his players than he does.

feltdizz
03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
sorry but I have to agree with Crash... our 4th quarter D is azzz. Sure they have good stats and rank in the top 5 every year but how many of you can honestly say you are confident our D will stop a team if it's a one possession game?

3rd down and insert any number you want and I bet you we give up a first down 60% of the time in the 4th quarter. The Baltimore game when Dixon was QB, what was it? 3rd and 28 and we gave up a 27 yard completion...

..and anyone who points out the Pats win needs to realize it took was 4 or 5 beatings by Brady for Lebeau to FINALLY change the D up.

ikestops85
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm sorry but I look at defense as a whole. What do they do for me the entire game. When push comes to shove the only thing that matters is the points given up. In the last 5 years we have been either 1st or 2nd in allowing the least points scored in 4 of those years. Now if you want to come up with some stat that says we can't stop anybody in the 4th quarter then go ahead. They stop them in the first 3 quarters.

Maybe you would rather have New Englands defense. I'll bet you they haven't let nearly as many people come back on them in the 4th quarter as we have. Of course that might be because there offense consistently gives them a big lead. Something our offense is woefully bad at.

I really don't know how anybody can say we have a bad, ineffective defense. The argument is indefensible. Ask any fans or coaches around the league who consistently has a top defense and I'll bet you my next paycheck there will only be 2 teams mentioned ... the Ratbirds and us!

Crash
03-31-2012, 01:38 AM
We don't allow our offense to blow teams out. We are too pre-occupied with running the ball and playing defense.

Our "defense" is actually our offense holding the ball.

This defense has two bad habits besides the 4th quarter: Give back points after we score points ourselves, and allowing points on opening drives of games.

steelnavy
03-31-2012, 03:22 AM
We don't allow our offense to blow teams out. We are too pre-occupied with running the ball and playing defense.

Our "defense" is actually our offense holding the ball.

This defense has two bad habits besides the 4th quarter: Give back points after we score points ourselves, and allowing points on opening drives of games.

I disagree. The Steeler offense scores most points in the first half, then lays eggs in the second. The defense holds teams to almost nothing in the first half, and then gives up more in the second. So who is worse? The one ranked in the top 3-5 every year, or the one ranked in the middle to lower half every year? If we had the Pats crappy D, the Steelers would have been lucky to be 8-8 with the woeful production of the offense. On the other hand, you could insert a multitude of mediocre offenses into Steelers uniforms and the Steelers would still be competing for a playoff spot because of the outstanding defense.

feltdizz
03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
We spend all our money on D. I expect them to be better than an offense with a franchise QB, crappy OL and young WR's.
The other problem is our offense tends to make some of the dumbest mistakes anytime we have a chance to put the nail in the coffin. Crappy passes, fumbles, drops, holding, false starts... you name it, we do it anytime we are up by 10 with a chance to ice the game.

Crash
03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
If we had the Pats crappy D, the Steelers would have been lucky to be 8-8 with the woeful production of the offense.

If we had the Pats D, that means most of the money would be tied up with the offense like the Pats, correct?

When 8 of the highest 9 paid players after Ben are playing defense? Their 4th quarter defense should be better.

If I have a choice, to be either up 4 needing a stop, or down 4 needing a score to win the Super Bowl? I still hang my hat on the offense because LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme sucks.

steelnavy
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
[/COLOR]If we had the Pats D, that means most of the money would be tied up with the offense like the Pats, correct?

When 8 of the highest 9 paid players after Ben are playing defense? Their 4th quarter defense should be better.

If I have a choice, to be either up 4 needing a stop, or down 4 needing a score to win the Super Bowl? I still hang my hat on the offense because LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme sucks.

Two SBs ago, the D stopped the Cardinals on their last drive to win the game (albeit after Ben's amazing drive for 7). Last SB, Ben couldn't get it done and the Steelers lost. Maybe if the offense was better, the Steelers wouldnt have been in that position so many times...

feltdizz
03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Two SBs ago, the D stopped the Cardinals on their last drive to win the game (albeit after Ben's amazing drive for 7). Last SB, Ben couldn't get it done and the Steelers lost. Maybe if the offense was better, the Steelers wouldnt have been in that position so many times...

The Steelers D did what it normally does vs AZ. They played great and then gave up a few quick TD's...
I'm not going to give the Steelers D too much credit for that last stop.

The Steelers offense needs to improve but I think we need to be realistic about who we are on offense. We aren't bult to put up 40 points.

steelnavy
04-01-2012, 04:21 AM
The Steelers D did what it normally does vs AZ. They played great and then gave up a few quick TD's...
I'm not going to give the Steelers D too much credit for that last stop.

The Steelers offense needs to improve but I think we need to be realistic about who we are on offense. We aren't bult to put up 40 points.

Really?!? Then who gets the credit? The cheerleaders? Just wow....

If we are not built to score points, then we should stop paying Ben so much money and let someone else do it for cheap. Except for you saying that, every year we heard about THIS being the year that the offense was going to finally click, that all of our offensive weapons were ready to go to the next level.... Blah blah blah. Seriously, you just make up whatever will support your crazy statements at the moment. Ugh...

feltdizz
04-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Really?!? Then who gets the credit? The cheerleaders? Just wow....

If we are not built to score points, then we should stop paying Ben so much money and let someone else do it for cheap. Except for you saying that, every year we heard about THIS being the year that the offense was going to finally click, that all of our offensive weapons were ready to go to the next level.... Blah blah blah. Seriously, you just make up whatever will support your crazy statements at the moment. Ugh...

What's so crazy about admitting our offense isn't built to score 40 points? You said it yourself, every year we hear about being close.... blah blah blah. Hopefully Haley can tweak the offense to finish teams off but it won't be 35 or 40 points.

Ben gets paid to make plays in CLUTCH situations... if you want Brady or Rodgers it ain't happening.

If we hear about it EVERY year but it never happens maybe its because we aren't built for a high powered offense.