PDA

View Full Version : Sanders' durability a concern for Steelers

fordfixer
03-28-2012, 01:54 AM
WR Sanders' durability a concern for Steelers coach Tomlin
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788672.html

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has concerns about one of his top wide receivers, but it isn't Mike Wallace.

Emmanuel Sanders has had trouble staying healthy — he missed five games last season because of foot and knee problems — and Tomlin acknowledged there are durability issues with Sanders.

"We're hopeful that he's going to be able to help us and remain injury-free, but that hasn't been the case to this point," Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings.

Tomlin has no worries when it comes to Wallace, assuming he returns to the Steelers.

The restricted free agent can sign with another team before April 20 though the Steelers have the right to match any offer made to the Pro Bowler.

If Wallace stays with the Steelers, there are no guarantees that he and the team will work out a long-term deal. That means Wallace might have to play for $2.74 million in 2012.

"Business will take care of itself, but Mike will report and be the guy that he's always been in my mind, and that's a guy that has a desire to be the best and a guy that's willing to work daily to be the best," Tomlin said. "This guy loves to play football."

>> The Steelers won't open the 2012 season against the defending Super Bowl champions. The New York Giants will host the Dallas Cowboys in the first game of the year, the NFL announced Tuesday. The Steelers visit the Giants this season, and they would have been a strong draw for the Sept. 5 prime-time game.

There are rumblings that the Steelers may visit Denver for a Sunday night game in the first week of the season. A Sept. 9 game against the Broncos would pit the Steelers against Peyton Manning. When asked about playing against Manning on Tuesday, Tomlin said, "I'm glad I'm not playing them first. Or maybe I am, I don't know."

>> The Steelers met with a trio of draft prospects last week, including Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams. In addition to Adams, a projected first-round pick, the Steelers hosted Florida International wide receiver T.Y. Hilton and Cincinnati defensive end Derek Wolfe. Teams are allowed to host 30 out-of-area players prior to the draft.

Read more: WR Sanders' durability a concern for Steelers coach Tomlin - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788672.html#ixzz1qO7YJXXU

Shoe
03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
The Steelers met with a trio of draft prospects last week, including Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams. In addition to Adams, a projected first-round pick, the Steelers hosted Florida International wide receiver T.Y. Hilton and Cincinnati defensive end Derek Wolfe. Teams are allowed to host 30 out-of-area players prior to the draft.

This Derek Wolfe is intriguing. PFW rates him as a 4-5th rounder. I like him as a Brett Keisel-like developmental guy.

Oviedo
03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
This Derek Wolfe is intriguing. PFW rates him as a 4-5th rounder. I like him as a Brett Keisel-like developmental guy.

I agree. He reminds me alot of Aaron Smith and Kiesel. Not alot of hype and blue collar type guy.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
He's got the size of prototypical 3-4 DE (6'5" 300 lbs.), but seems to have the pass-rushing prowess of a 4-3 DE (9.5 sacks last season). I'm sure sure why he is not more highly-regarded.

Dee Dub
03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
....I'm sure sure why he is not more highly-regarded.

Very simple....the "EXPERTS" are so gaga over the non-productive (on the field), types likes Dontari Poe, Stephen Hill, Zach Brown, Mike Adams, Devon Still, Kelechi Osemele, etc., and how they work out or look in a pair of shorts.

I also think a guy like Jared Crick could be a Brett Keisel/Aaron Smith type.

Oviedo
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Very simple....the "EXPERTS" are so gaga over the non-productive (on the field), types likes Dontari Poe, Stephen Hill, Zach Brown, Mike Adams, Devon Still, Kelechi Osemele, etc., and how they work out or look in a pair of shorts.

I also think a guy like Jared Crick could be a Brett Keisel/Aaron Smith type.

Understand your point, but Still was actually very productive albeit for one year.

jj28west
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
As far as Sanders goes I have read that DB's velcroed him easily last year. IF you look at game tape in college and his 1st year as well as his physical specs it became clear that Sanders was very quick and difficult to cover.

I hope he is able to adapt and overcome but it seems like he has lost a big part of his game last year. I dont know if it is extreme as a fastball pitcher having to learn the nuckle but Sanders will have to become more polished in his routes and hopefully learned alot from Ward.