PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon to Visit Broncos

phillyesq
03-27-2012, 07:38 AM
So much for him pursuing a starting job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/25/broncos-hosting-dennis-dixon/

Oviedo
03-27-2012, 08:05 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/25/broncos-hosting-dennis-dixon/

Dixon is a career third string QB. Nothing more and he will never be anything more. I hope he signs with Denver as long as it isn't here in Pittsburgh. We need to draft a legit developmental QB to start to groom.

I saw one Mock that had us taking Ryan Lindley, QB, SD State in Round 3. That would be a good starting point.

Djfan
03-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Adios. I have no real grips with him, but he is absolutely not the future here. Best of luck DD.

Eich
03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Interesting that Elway would bring in ANOTHER QB who can't throw. But I guess when it comes to a backup QB - particularly one playing behind a legend - you take what you can get and hope for the best.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
What black QB in the mold of Omar Jacobs or Dennis Dixon will be around in round 7? That will be our guy. Actually we have Troy Smith and Jarred Johnson to pick from and pair up with 49 year old Charlie Batch or Leftwich.

SteelBucks
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM

He is what we already knew. He burned the bridge back to Pittsburgh so he'll need to find another career backup job with someone else.

Slapstick
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
This way, the Broncos don't have to completely scrap the Tebow part of the offense...

phillyesq
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
This way, the Broncos don't have to completely scrap the Tebow part of the offense...

I would take Tebow over Dixon without hesitation. I don't even think it's close. And I'm not a big fan of Tebow as a qb.

steelblood
03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Lindley has a big arm and frame, but he is not particularly accurate and does not make great decisions. I wouldn't take him in the third with all of the needs we have. I don't think he'd be ready to contribute for years. Now if Russell Wilson was there in the fifth, I'd be into that.

Who else do you like as a QB project Oviedo?

steelz09
03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
The Steelers need to get serious about their backup QB position:

Batch - Good backup for years but to old and fragile. He should become a coach
Leftwich - Fragile. He's done.
Dixon - He's more of a #3 IMO. I wouldn't want him starting for anything more than 1 game
Troy Smith - Are you kidding me?

Crash
03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
I thought Hines said Dixon was going to be a star? :lol:

williar
03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Wow! Some of you love to kill this guy. He's started how many games here? About three, won a tough home opener to a very good falcon team, got hurt in another victory in tennessee, lost a very close game to a division rivalry. Somehow, though, he sucks really bad according to some of you. It's more like, he never really had a chance to suck or be good...

Hope things work out better for you wherever you go Dixon. You deserve better than what you got here. Especially playing behind a QB who loves nothing more than to hobble out on the field and (suck) I mean play through injuries so he can be the hero.

Crash
03-27-2012, 11:22 AM
All QBs try to play through injuries. Not just Ben.

Dixon can't throw a football. Let's not forget that in his 2 "wins" in 2010 that his offense failed to score a TD in regulation.

Good athlete, who's career was kind of cut short because of that knee injury in college. But he can't throw a football.

Slapstick
03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Troy Smith - Are you kidding me?

He was good enough to beat the Steelers as a starter...he'll be a fine backup...

Crash
03-27-2012, 11:51 AM
You mean that meaningless game in 2007 when we sat Ben and others?

You're OSU bias is laughable Slap, remember you thought Doss was better than Polamalu coming out of college too.

Sugar
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
IMO, Smith is a better player than Dixon. His lack of height handicaps him a bit, but he's still a serviceable backup.

steelz09
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
He was good enough to beat the Steelers as a starter...he'll be a fine backup...

The same can be said for Tebow.

steelz09
03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow! Some of you love to kill this guy. He's started how many games here? About three, won a tough home opener to a very good falcon team, got hurt in another victory in tennessee, lost a very close game to a division rivalry. Somehow, though, he sucks really bad according to some of you. It's more like, he never really had a chance to suck or be good...

Hope things work out better for you wherever you go Dixon. You deserve better than what you got here. Especially playing behind a QB who loves nothing more than to hobble out on the field and (suck) I mean play through injuries so he can be the hero.

Dixon should be a great dart player because his throwing motion looks like how I would play darts. Maybe that's why he throws so many footballs into the dirt 5 yards short of his receivers.

Oviedo
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Somehow, though, he sucks really bad according to some of you.

Yes. That pretty well says it all!!!!!!!!

grotonsteel
03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Dixon should be a great dart player because his throwing motion looks like how I would play darts. Maybe that's why he throws so many footballs into the dirt 5 yards short of his receivers.

:grin:

On top of that he was very brittle. Just could not remain healthy.

I say good ridddance. Steelers can get a better backup QB than Dixon in late Rd.

Slapstick
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
You're OSU bias is laughable Slap

I'll see that OSU bias and raise you your rabid anti-Hines Ward bias...

Because I honestly laugh...;)

Slapstick
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
The same can be said for Tebow.

Indubitably...

Crash
03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
I'll see that OSU bias and raise you your rabid anti-Hines Ward bias

I call out Hines for the hypocrite he is.

Btw, real nice of him to "thank" Tommy Maddox and Kordell at his PC but not once mentioned Roethlisberger.

It's OK, when Ben wins his next ring it then prove with Hines, as it did with Cowher, that they needed Ben more than he needed them.

Ward's a moron. Hopefully he won't have to resort to selling drugs to make ends meet now that his NFL paydays are over.

fezziwig
03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
why do the steelers always go for the black backup qbs ? i'm not trying to start a race war here but, it's just something i noticed. Do they figure that if your going to pick between a white or black inaccurate thrower you, might as well take the one that can scramble ?

feltdizz
03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
I call out Hines for the hypocrite he is.

Btw, real nice of him to "thank" Tommy Maddox and Kordell at his PC but not once mentioned Roethlisberger.

It's OK, when Ben wins his next ring it then prove with Hines, as it did with Cowher, that they needed Ben more than he needed them.

Ward's a moron. Hopefully he won't have to resort to selling drugs to make ends meet now that his NFL paydays are over.

Obsession is a hell of a drug.

fezziwig
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I like Hines and have tons of respect for him. I agree that everyone should be thankful for Ben being on the team and helping them win two Super Bowls. It has been proven to me that we lacked the right caliber Qb to get us a Super Bowl win until Ben. All the great teams under Cowher didn't get us a ring until Ben arrived. Hines should have included him or was it that, Hines was trying to thank the guys that he has had in his memories ?
As much as I like Hines and believe he is a cut above I still think there is a little jealosuy towards Ben. Hines likes being the face of the Steelers or being that black & gold guy that everyone connects with but with Ben, Hines needs to share the spotlight.

Crash
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
why do the steelers always go for the black backup qbs ? i'm not trying to start a race war here but, it's just something i noticed. Do they figure that if your going to pick between a white or black inaccurate thrower you, might as well take the one that can scramble ?

I'll go one further. Look at the number of black QBs in the NFL, there are plenty, starters and backups over the years.

Now, how many of them have played for the small amount of black NFL head coaches who have been hired?

It is my belief, that there is an unspoken "code" in the black head coaching fraternity in the NFL that states that whenever possible, a black head coach will aid the career of a black quarterback by keeping them employed.

fezziwig
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Obsession is a hell of a drug.

I thought it was a perfume ?

fezziwig
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I'll go one further. Look at the number of black QBs in the NFL, there are plenty, starters and backups over the years.

Now, how many of them have played for the small amount of black NFL head coaches who have been hired?

It is my belief, that there is an unspoken "code" in the black head coaching fraternity in the NFL that states that whenever possible, a black head coach will aid the career of a black quarterback by keeping them employed.

I've never noticed that or looked into it actually. Off the top of my head I think it's actually the opposite for starting black QB's.
McNabb/White coach Vic the dog killer/White coach Tampa QB that escapes my memory/Ex-black coach .

If I was an NFL head coach my 2nd string QB would have to be a qb that was a starter for another NFL team rather than just having a proffesional backup that never had the battle ready experience on their resume.

Chadman
03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Pretty sure Ward thanked "all his team mates" without naming them individually, then thanked individual players that are no longer Steelers.

Could be wrong, but did he name any 1 specific current player? Don't think he did.

As for Dixon- well, his impact has been minimal, so losing him is no big deal, really.

Chadman's random thought on the back-up QB position- if the Steelers don't re-sign Batch or Leftwich, who will? If the answer is 'Nobody', then use Troy Smith as the back-up QB, slot either a rookie or Jerrod Johnson in as the #3 & if Ben goes down for any significant length of time- get on the phone to either Lefty or Batch & bring them in.

Chadman's theory- if Ben goes down, the team is screwed anyway. May as well go with the cheap back-up.

Slapstick
03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Pretty sure Ward thanked "all his team mates" without naming them individually, then thanked individual players that are no longer Steelers.

Could be wrong, but did he name any 1 specific current player? Don't think he did.

Stop confusing me with logic!

It's much more fun to demonize Ward...

Oviedo
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM

As for Dixon- well, his impact has been minimal, so losing him is no big deal, really.

Chadman's random thought on the back-up QB position- if the Steelers don't re-sign Batch or Leftwich, who will? If the answer is 'Nobody', then use Troy Smith as the back-up QB, slot either a rookie or Jerrod Johnson in as the #3 & if Ben goes down for any significant length of time- get on the phone to either Lefty or Batch & bring them in.

Chadman's theory- if Ben goes down, the team is screwed anyway. May as well go with the cheap back-up.

I agree we are screwed without Ben, but I would bring in a young developmental QB to start to groom him behind Lefty or Batch. It needs to be someone who plays like Ben and has similar skillsets not a completely different style player like Dixon was.

IMO Dixon was always a dumb pick.

feltdizz
03-29-2012, 09:13 AM

That is an awful.. awful theory and the numbers don't back it up.

Anytime you bring race into the discussion you FAIL. You are a much better poster when you talk about formations and your hatred of Ward.

Chadman
03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I agree we are screwed without Ben, but I would bring in a young developmental QB to start to groom him behind Lefty or Batch. It needs to be someone who plays like Ben and has similar skillsets not a completely different style player like Dixon was.

IMO Dixon was always a dumb pick.

Not to paint Johnson in any brighter light than he needs to be- but isn't he somewhat a similar player to Ben?

Chadman
03-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Anytime you bring race into the discussion you FAIL. You are a much better poster when you talk about formations and your hatred of Ward.

Gotta say- this sort of post is when Chadman pictures Crash with his tinfoil hat on, multiple computer screens facing him, all signed in to conspiricy sites with banjo music playing in the background.

There are ways & ways to make a point without being overly 'outrageous' or 'contraversial', which Chadman suspects is the whole point, sometimes.

fezziwig
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
After seeing all the would be quarterbacks after Bradshaw that, our Steelers tried to make into thee guy, wouldn't you rather see us get another qb in the first round when or if that scenario could possibly come to be ? Not too many Montanas or Bradys that last to the 3rd or 5th rounds that prove they could have been a number one pick or a super bowl caliber player. Great to keep trying with development and I'm all for it but, if the right qb comes along and we have the draft slot to get him, I sure would.

Crash
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM

So you did the research? Says here you haven't.

Prove me wrong with facts, not your opinion.

Chadman
03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
[/COLOR]So you did the research? Says here you haven't.

Prove me wrong with facts, not your opinion.

Ease up there Tiger.. "It is my belief, that there is an unspoken "code" in the black head coaching fraternity in the NFL that states that whenever possible, a black head coach will aid the career of a black quarterback by keeping them employed."

How about you back up your argument with some facts before you demand to be shot down by facts?

Otherwise- let's all just get our opinions out & see who actually does have the biggest..

Crash
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
A few examples right off the top.

Tony Dungy drafted Shaun King.

Chucky waived him, he was signed by Dennis Green.

Lions waive him, he was signed by Dungy again.

Dennis Green got Warren Moon, he also signed Randall Cunningham after he spent a year out of the NFL, he also drafted Culpepper to be their long term answer at QB.

All coincidental I'm sure.

Quincy Carter, drugs ended his career in Dallas, who signed him after that? Herman Edwards of the Jets.

BOTH, black head coaches, as well as black QBs have felt over the years, that they were held back because of race. IMO, that is where the "code" comes from.

No big deal really, people in all walks of life (or race) get jobs because of "connections", Todd Haley's hire in Pittsburgh is proof of that.

Chadman
03-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Dennis Green got Warren Moon, he also signed Randall Cunningham after he spent a year out of the NFL, he also drafted Culpepper to be their long term answer at QB.

Quincy Carter, drugs ended his career in Dallas, who signed him after that? Herman Edwards of the Jets.

BOTH, black head coaches, as well as black QBs have felt over the years, that they were held back because of race. IMO, that is where the "code" comes from.

No big deal really, people in all walks of life (or race) get jobs because of "connections", Todd Haley's hire in Pittsburgh is proof of that.

Guess the real comparison is how many white QB's were drafted by white HC's as well, then?

Crash
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Guess the real comparison is how many white QB's were drafted by white HC's as well, then?Silly comparison because there weren't black coaches until 1989 when Art Shell was hired by Al and the NFL was around for decades prior to that. I don't have a problem with it like I said, but to ignore it would be foolish. The good ol' boy network exists in all sports, with all races. Not a big deal really.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
With Cowher as our head coach, we drafted Tee Martin, Omar Jacobs, and signed Charlie Batch...just sayin'

steelz09
03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
With Cowher as our head coach, we drafted Tee Martin, Omar Jacobs, and signed Charlie Batch...just sayin'

Come on now.... everyone knows that Charlie Batch isn't black.... he's Mexican.

steelz09
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Come on now.... everyone knows that Charlie Batch isn't black.... he's Mexican.

This thread is starting to get waaayyyy off topic but it's definitely an interesting topic that deserves it's own thread if people can keep things under control an discuss it in an objective manner. My sister actually had a class in college where they studied this topic. Skill positions vs other positions vs quarterbacks... It compared race & athleticism vs intelligence / IQ tests and things like that.

feltdizz
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Charlie Batch, Cam Newton, David Garrard, Bryan Leftwitch, Kordell Stewart...

I could give you more examples when I have time to do the research but honesty... what's the point? You are going to stick to your conspiracy regardless because it makes you feel good.

For every black QB that was signed by a black head coach there are probably 3 who were on teams with white coaches. I know you need this "code" theory to stick more than I do so have at it....