PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Steelers may be interested in Jonathan Stewart

SteelAddicted
03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Lot of rumblings around the web and even a yahoo story about the Steelers possibly making a move for Carolina RB Jonathan Stewart.

I for one would be very interested in this proposal. Since Redman isn't a feature back, Dwyer hasn't done anything, Clay isn't that good and Batch has had two knee surgeries never even playing an NFL snap.

I think we could use a true Franchise type running back.

Snatch98
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
If true and he can stay healthy himself he'd be one hell of a replacement to Mendenhall. I sincerely doubt this is possible though especially with the Wallace, unless of course they make additional cuts and or restructures. The Panthers did just go after and sign Tolbert so the Panther backfield is pretty crowded with Williams, Stewart AND Tolbert.

Shoe
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Lot of rumblings around the web and even a yahoo story about the Steelers possibly making a move for Carolina RB Jonathan Stewart.

I for one would be very interested in this proposal. Since Redman isn't a feature back, Dwyer hasn't done anything, Clay isn't that good and Batch has had two knee surgeries never even playing an NFL snap.

I think we could use a true Franchise type running back.

I don't know when you came to the conclusion that Redman isn't a feature back, but I do know that Stewart is/was more highly regarded as a draft prospect. And... he probably doesn't have quite the wear-and-tear that one might expect of him since he platooned with DeAgnelo in Carolina. I think I'd be happy to land someone of Stewart's caliber... though I do want Redman to have a shot at the job.

Snatch98
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
It seems to be just media speculation from what i can tell.

fezziwig
03-24-2012, 10:27 PM
I think our crew can handle things as long as Dwyer keeps in shape and I guess that goes for Redman too. I think Redman can handle the load as a feature back.. It cracks me up that everyone roots for the underdog or second string guy but, when he gets his shot they want them replaced . Not everyone but a good number of fans. I know, I'm one of them at times.

williar
03-24-2012, 11:03 PM
I love Jonathan Stewart and think it would be a very good move if we did acquire him. My only problem is he has been injury prone.

SteelBucks
03-24-2012, 11:05 PM
A Redman/Stewart duo would help solidify our RB situation. Not sure how they could sign him though....more restructures would be needed.

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2012, 11:14 PM
He is due $1,311,250 for 2012 and would be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. If we traded for him, we would take on that contract.

Chadman
03-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Would happily take him- depending on the price.

What would he be worth? If it's no higher than a 3rd round pick...Chadman's in.

As of right now, the Steelers running game consists of 2 UDFA's, 1 7th round pick & 1 6th round pick. None of these guys have proven they are starters. None have taken the job from what seems to be the uninspiring Rashard Mendenhall, who could miss the full season through injury.

We could use Stewart.

SteelAddicted
03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Redman isn't a feature back for the simple reason that he can't break the big one. Sure, he is a great runner... but if you really want to put defenses on notice, you need to have a back that could potentially break the big one at any moment. Redman can break of a 10,20,20 yard run on occasion, but I don't think he scares anyone. I like Redman, I just think he needs to be part of a 1-2 punch. He's the shifty clog, and we need the feature back.

D Rock
03-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Stewart or Mendenhall...both may require similar money for a new contract next year. Stewart is a steal right now at 1.3 million. You take Stewart this year for a mid round pick and see how he fits the team, then decide which of the two you want moving forward with a new contract.

Snatch98
03-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Redman isn't a feature back for the simple reason that he can't break the big one. Sure, he is a great runner... but if you really want to put defenses on notice, you need to have a back that could potentially break the big one at any moment. Redman can break of a 10,20,20 yard run on occasion, but I don't think he scares anyone. I like Redman, I just think he needs to be part of a 1-2 punch. He's the shifty clog, and we need the feature back.

Exactly. I have no idea why people feel he can carry the load for an entire season.

pfelix73
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
No, not exactly. How do you know? He can break one at any time- look at Dwyer. I didn't think he had that in him and he broke one right in front of me last fall..... However, signing Stewart would be great too. We need depth at the RB position.

Crash
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
$1.3 million for a starting caliber RB? Do it. That's peanuts. I would even give them a #2 pick for him.

Steelhere10
03-25-2012, 03:03 PM
$1.3 million for a starting caliber RB? Do it. That's peanuts. I would even give them a #2 pick for him.
I agree, he was awesome his rookie year. But my starting point would be a 3rd because of his injury history.

steelblood
03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not a huge fan. I'd give up a 5th for him, maybe a 4th. One thing that impresses me about him is that he had 47 catches last season. That is impressive for a 235 pound back. Still, he'd be a ufa next season so it would only be a one season rental.

pittpete
03-25-2012, 04:38 PM
I agree, he was awesome his rookie year. But my starting point would be a 3rd because of his injury history.

Id go 3 round also considering our bad luck with 3rd rounders lately.
I also thought the same thing with Stewart injury wise, but he only missed 2 games in four years

NJ-STEELER
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
i wonder if they were looking at stewart when that draft came around. mnedy was supposed to go higher then him, but slipped and IIRC some mocks had stewart being drafted by us

phillyesq
03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
I think Stewart could be a nice complement to Redman. His career high carriers per game is 13.8. A time share with Stewart and Redman, with Batch, Dwyer and Clay battling for the remaining spots, is more than enough at RB.

I wouldn't pay a high price for Stewart unless an extension was worked out, but if he could be had for a 4th or 5th, I'd make the trade.

Steelhere10
03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
i wonder if they were looking at stewart when that draft came around. mnedy was supposed to go higher then him, but slipped and IIRC some mocks had stewart being drafted by us
According to several sights , that's who they was targeting first. I think it was Ed B. who reported that

steelz09
03-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Any update on this situation? I'd like to see this one come to fruition.

Shoe
03-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Exactly. I have no idea why people feel he can carry the load for an entire season.

I don't understand what makes you think he can't? If it's the speed thing, I think he is at least as fast as Bettis is/was. FYI, I agree that he would work best in a 1-2 punch sort-of thing... but I think that with probably 90% of the backs today.

He can certainly carry a load for at least 6-8 games, and potentially much more. At that point, Mendenhall could be ready for situational duty at worst. There are also many scatty (e.g. Ahmad Bradshaw types) who come out every year, that we could consider.

Your comment seems to say that Redman cannot be trusted... in that regard, I don't agree at all.

Snatch98
03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
People get the idea that I'm a Redman hater and I'm not. I really like Redman, I just don't think teams are going to fear him on the ground as the primary ball carrier. I don't think he can run like he does for a full 16 games without wearing down. I'd prefer him in a compliment role BUT i've always been on the Mendnehall train. I believe Rashard with a competent line and Bruce Arians gone is an elite back. Unfortunately now we may never know. I just don't think Red has what it takes to be THE GUY and right now that's exactly what he is. Although I have little doubt that if anyone on the team could prove me and others wrong it's him. He works hard and has a great attitude. We also have no idea what we'll have with Batch. I just don't want Redman getting 15-20 touches per game. I don't think it suits him.

SteelBucks
03-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Any update on this situation? I'd like to see this one come to fruition.

No, still just speculation. I saw an article on ESPN that said the Tolbert signing could make Jonathan Stewart available. They mentioned the Steelers as a potential trading partner. I'm not sure there's much to this story for now....

Oviedo
03-26-2012, 08:03 AM
People get the idea that I'm a Redman hater and I'm not. I really like Redman, I just don't think teams are going to fear him on the ground as the primary ball carrier. I don't think he can run like he does for a full 16 games without wearing down. I'd prefer him in a compliment role BUT i've always been on the Mendnehall train. I believe Rashard with a competent line and Bruce Arians gone is an elite back. Unfortunately now we may never know. I just don't think Red has what it takes to be THE GUY and right now that's exactly what he is. Although I have little doubt that if anyone on the team could prove me and others wrong it's him. He works hard and has a great attitude. We also have no idea what we'll have with Batch. I just don't want Redman getting 15-20 touches per game. I don't think it suits him.

Totally agree. No one is going to fear that Redman is going to break a long run and change the momentum in a game. In terms of running style, he is a lesser version of Brandon Jacobs who was recently released from the Giants. Jacobs was a hard runner who was always hurt. I think that is what we are going to see from Redman as a #1. He will run hard but since he will be playing more the injurues will mount. He is a good complement but not a #1.

Slapstick
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Brandon Jacobs was hurt over the last two years...he will be 30 in July...

Redman has a lot less mileage on his tires at this point...also, the reason he is a "lesser version" of Jacobs is that he doesn't take a lot of big hits as Jacobs did...

The shelf life of NFL RBs is a small window...Jacobs is probably past his...Redman is not...

steelz09
03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Totally agree. No one is going to fear that Redman is going to break a long run and change the momentum in a game. In terms of running style, he is a lesser version of Brandon Jacobs who was recently released from the Giants. Jacobs was a hard runner who was always hurt. I think that is what we are going to see from Redman as a #1. He will run hard but since he will be playing more the injurues will mount. He is a good complement but not a #1.

I don't think it's a Redman issue.... no one is going to fear our running attack regardless on whether Redman or Mendenhall are the starters.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
The use of RBs is much different today than it was even 5 years ago. Many teams have adopted the two back stable as opposed to having one feature back. The teams who do have a primary back are the ones with an elite RB - Minnesota, Tennessee, Chicago, Baltimore etc. No way does Redman fall into this category IMO.

I can't see Redman as an elite feature back, but I can see him as the pounder in a two-back stable. I can also see a healthy Stewart as the bona fide #1 in this same rotation with Redman being the complementary RB. This is more of a comment on Stewart than on Redman. I see Stewart as a far superior RB to Mendenhall.

steelnavy
03-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Snatch, I am curious as to where you get your beliefs on Redman. Why don't you think teams will fear him? And why don't you think he can handle the job full time? Why can't he be THE GUY? You must have some insight that the rest of us have missed. I have seen absolutely NOTHING that says that he can't handle the job. Every game he played, he kicked butt. I was bummed that the Steelers dropped the playoff game to the Broncos and didn't let him further showcase his stuff. Reading his personal story, he sounds like an impressive young man who isn't taking his chance at greatness for granted.

On the other hand, I have seen little of Mendenhall that leads me to think that he will ever be the guy that earned being a first round pick of the Steelers. Please explain what you see in his talents that will provide different results under a new head coach.

Thanks

The Rookie

ikestops85
03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Snatch, I am curious as to where you get your beliefs on Redman. Why don't you think teams will fear him? And why don't you think he can handle the job full time? Why can't he be THE GUY? You must have some insight that the rest of us have missed. I have seen absolutely NOTHING that says that he can't handle the job. Every game he played, he kicked butt. I was bummed that the Steelers dropped the playoff game to the Broncos and didn't let him further showcase his stuff. Reading his personal story, he sounds like an impressive young man who isn't taking his chance at greatness for granted.

On the other hand, I have seen little of Mendenhall that leads me to think that he will ever be the guy that earned being a first round pick of the Steelers. Please explain what you see in his talents that will provide different results under a new head coach.

Thanks

The Rookie

I'm with you Steelnavy. Redman ran for 121 yards on 17 carries against Denver. He had 2 runs over 20 yards. Why wouldn't other teams be scared of him? They certainly were scared of Bettis and he wasn't a threat to take it to the house. Redman is the type of back that so many on this site have been clamoring for. A guy that will consistently get us positive yards ... not one like FWP or Mendy that will break off a long run every now and then but also leaves us in 2nd and long or 3rd and long situations.

I think teams will fear Redman more because he is the type of back who might allow us to control the ball in the fourth quarter when we have a lead. I'm mystified why people still think Redman can't be a primary back. I wonder if Houston fans thought that about Arian Foster? ;-)

feltdizz
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, tons of teams feared Mendenhall would break off one of those 80 yarders... :roll:

You guys are really funny. Just admit you don't have faith in him because he wasn't a first rounder or your guy.

steelz09
03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah, tons of teams feared Mendenhall would break off one of those 80 yarders... :roll:

You guys are really funny. Just admit you don't have faith in him because he wasn't a first rounder or your guy.

Do teams fear RB tap dancers? How about a RB that spins just for the sake of spinning? :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Do teams fear RB tap dancers? How about a RB that spins just for the sake of spinning? :stirpot

The interesting thing is that Mendenhall stopped spinning last season, and Redman starting spinning last season. There were runs last year when Redman spun 3 or 4 times.

feltdizz
03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm with you Steelnavy. Redman ran for 121 yards on 17 carries against Denver. He had 2 runs over 20 yards. Why wouldn't other teams be scared of him? They certainly were scared of Bettis and he wasn't a threat to take it to the house. Redman is the type of back that so many on this site have been clamoring for. A guy that will consistently get us positive yards ... not one like FWP or Mendy that will break off a long run every now and then but also leaves us in 2nd and long or 3rd and long situations.

I think teams will fear Redman more because he is the type of back who might allow us to control the ball in the fourth quarter when we have a lead. I'm mystified why people still think Redman can't be a primary back. I wonder if Houston fans thought that about Arian Foster? ;-)

If Mendenhall ran for 121 yards on 17 touches in a playoff game fans would write him a blank check... Redman does it and these same fans aren't convinced. You really have to question fans motives when they talk about not trusting Redman... it's not genuine. It's all based on draft charts and this breakaway threat that none of us have ever seen from Mendenhall...

When fans of Mendenhall say things like "If that was Mend instead of Redman he wouldn't have been caught.." it really says a ton.

As far as Stewart is concerned... in Charlotte the fans were real disappointed with his effort last year. He is always hurt. I don't want him.

Crash
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
But how many of Redman's big runs were from shot gun spread? For most of the first half he struggled in traditional sets to gain yards behind that OL.

I like Redman too, especially as a goal line back, but I think some quality insurance like a Stewart couldn't hurt either.

fordfixer
03-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Steelers play waiting game with running back Mendenhall
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 26, 2012
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788343.html

The Steelers expect running back Rashard Mendenhall to play in 2012. What they don't know is when or in what capacity. Mendenhall tore his ACL in the Steelers' regular-season finale, and general manager Kevin Colbert said later that the two-time, 1,000-yard rusher probably would need a year to fully recover.

"To clarify, what I said was I never think players coming off an ACL are 100 percent for a full year. It doesn't mean they can't play," Colbert said Sunday before the start of the NFL owners meetings. "At some point, we'll have Rashard back. I'm confident of that." Mendenhall, a first-round pick in 2008, is going into the final year of his contract.

>> Among the players the Steelers released earlier this month, James Farrior would be the most likely to return, given the team's lack of experience and depth at inside linebacker. But Colbert said that is a long shot, even though Farrior started for 10 consecutive seasons and made a pair of Pro Bowls before the Steelers released him.

"They know you never say never," Colbert said, "but they also know that we felt their time as Steelers was over. It was time for everyone to move on, and that's where we left off."

>> The Steelers are likely to receive no more than a seventh-round draft pick for their free-agent losses last year. Compensatory picks are awarded this week based on how many free agents a team lost and how many it signed the previous year. The Steelers lost tight end Matt Spaeth and defensive end Nick Eason to free agency. ... Former President Bill Clinton delivered the keynote speech Sunday night at an event kicking off the owners meetings.

Read more: Steelers play waiting game with running back Mendenhall - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788343.html#ixzz1qHdncZL1

flippy
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd gladly take him. He's got talent. Would be a good change of pace. Good insurance for now with Mendy hurt. And we could decide between him and Mendy after next season.

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
If we made such a trade, imagine, late in the season once Mendenhall is healthy, having Stewart, Mendy and Redman all available at the same time for the playoff run? Haley could have all kinds of pony backfield fun with those guys.

flippy
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
If we made such a trade, imagine, late in the season once Mendenhall is healthy, having Stewart, Mendy and Redman all available at the same time for the playoff run? Haley could have all kinds of pony backfield fun with those guys.

We've been teased for years about the pony package that never really materialized.

Chadman
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that the Panthers are not looking to trade Stewart.

Of course, this could be a ruse in order to raise his trade price..

pfelix73
03-27-2012, 10:07 PM
But how many of Redman's big runs were from shot gun spread? For most of the first half he struggled in traditional sets to gain yards behind that OL.

I like Redman too, especially as a goal line back, but I think some quality insurance like a Stewart couldn't hurt either.

Traditional Sets? What? You think some of those formations BA was using were traditional? I would not consider them that at all. I hate that 2 TE set with only 1 rb and that's what BA loves- oh and don't forget- those 'hybrid' TE's. God, I'm glad he's gone, enough of that. When I think of traditional, I think of power formations such as out of the I or Pro sets. Sweeps, whams, dives, etc-man blocking. Not so much zone blocking and looking for cut back runs. Get a FB in the there, a real FB, with a TE who can actually block, and we'll be able to run just fine with the guys up front. Everyone jumps on this line, but it's more than that. Or it WAS more than that- I hope Haley will make the necessary changes now. Redman in a real traditional set up would excel on this team. He has to be given the opportunity to contribute now. Just like a few of those OLmen we have- Legs needs time to actually play LG. Injuries would creep up and he'd have to move back to C... With his quickness, he should be a good pulling G. Pouncey should be given the opportunity on some pulling plays too. Dawson was known for that and Pouncey should excel at that too. I never ever saw Pouncey pull on a running play.. Maybe he did on a rarity, but I sure can't think of one at this time...Anyone have any tape of one?

:tt1

Crash
03-28-2012, 12:49 AM
We won squat with the I formation. The only two SB's Bill Cowher went to were because they passed their way through the post season.

Three wide, a RB, and a TE. THAT should be our base offense.

Like I said in the other thread, Arians is gone, and yet they still tendered Johnson.

Can't blame BA for that one.

hawaiiansteel
03-28-2012, 02:42 AM
We won squat with the I formation. The only two SB's Bill Cowher went to were because they passed their way through the post season.

Three wide, a RB, and a TE. THAT should be our base offense.

Like I said in the other thread, Arians is gone, and yet they still tendered Johnson.

Can't blame BA for that one.

we tendered Johnson because with Saunders suspended for the first four games of the season we are very thin at TE.

Oviedo
03-28-2012, 07:27 AM
we tendered Johnson because with Saunders suspended for the first four games of the season we are very thin at TE.

I agree. I think that with Arians gone it will very quickly become clear to Haley that Dennis Johnson has no value. IMO if Saunders didn't get suspended we would not have tendered Johnson.

feltdizz
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Didn't Tomlin hint at a FB in Haley's offense?

Crash
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Todd Haley had a FB in Kansad City = One and done in the playoffs.

Todd Haley ran three wide as the base offense in Arizona and had 3 WRs with 1000 yards in 2008 = won the NFC.

See?

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Todd Haley had a FB in Kansad City = One and done in the playoffs.

Todd Haley ran three wide as the base offense in Arizona and had 3 WRs with 1000 yards in 2008 = won the NFC.

See?

Haley adjusted to the talent he had on hand. In the desert, his best players were Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, etc. so he ran a dominant passing offense. In K.C., his best player was Jamaal Charles, so he ran a dominant rushing offense. Hopefully, here, he is able to take advantage of the talent we have in both regards and create a well-balanced efficient attack that is able to adjust to different game situations and attack the weaknesses of our opponents (which was Arians' biggest weakness, in my opinion).

Crash
03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
And like I said, the minute he doesn't bow down to the Steelers 1975 alter people will start whining.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Who exactly prefers 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust while losing to an aerial assault while winning?

SteelAddicted
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
To me... you do what your offense is suited to do. The Steelers are obviously built to throw the football, however... we need balance on this team. Arians was too quick to abandon the running game, that's why he is no longer a Steeler. Haley will add balance to this team.

Fullback? in today's NFL? I'm not sure it's really necessary to be successful. The NFL is changing, offenses need to adapt. Look back at the last 10 superbowl champions and tell me if they were a passing or running team. I'm going to vote they were passing heavy with the possession of a running game.

Crash
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Who exactly prefers 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust while losing to an aerial assault while winning?Art Rooney II after 2009 demanded more commitment to the running game rather than admit his teams 4th quarter defense stunk.

Slapstick
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Art Rooney II after 2009 demanded more commitment to the running game rather than admit his teams 4th quarter defense stunk.

Or, perhaps he recognized that the team needed to run the ball better...

Crash
03-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Or, perhaps he recognized that the team needed to run the ball better...He needed to recognize that after the offense would score that the defense would give the scores right back with long, time consuming drives as soon as they went back on the field. But somehow that was Arians fault.

NorthCoast
04-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I think our crew can handle things as long as Dwyer keeps in shape and I guess that goes for Redman too. I think Redman can handle the load as a feature back.. It cracks me up that everyone roots for the underdog or second string guy but, when he gets his shot they want them replaced . Not everyone but a good number of fans. I know, I'm one of them at times.

Dwyer has shown me nothing since being on the roster. Reminds me of Duce Staley, looks the part but thats as far as it goes.

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM

:Agree and I don't see Dwyer, Clay or Batch being the other part of that 1-2 punch...

SteelBucks
04-02-2012, 11:38 PM
:Agree and I don't see Dwyer, Clay or Batch being the other part of that 1-2 punch...

Nor do I.....

feltdizz
04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Dwyer has shown me nothing since being on the roster. Reminds me of Duce Staley, looks the part but thats as far as it goes.

What?

Duce Staley was pretty effective until Teddy Bruschi punched him in the hammy.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Redman broke as many long ones as Mendenhall last season.....

Oviedo
04-03-2012, 01:20 PM

If Redman plus those three are our RBs expect Ben to pass 40+ times per game.

feltdizz
04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Redman broke as many long ones as Mendenhall last season.....

Well that's only because the D was tired when Redman got in the game. You have to remember some Steeler fans have been predicting Redmans demise every year and he keeps proving them wrong. All these imaginary long runs by Mendenhall will make it hard for us to resign him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2012, 06:52 PM
It doesn't appear that Carolina has any intention of trading the Daily Show this year. They traded Mike Goodson to the Raiders for Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell. They said that they plan to use Mike Tolbert as a fullback. And since neither DeAngelo nor Stewart has been able to remain healthy for more than a week at a time, they will likely be keeping both of them (for this year at least...Stewart may leave as an UFA a year from now).

Panthers plan to use Tolbert as fullback, Rivera says
NFL.com
Published: April 1, 2012 at 02:03 p.m.
Updated: April 1, 2012 at 10:07 p.m.

When the Carolina Panthers signed Mike Tolbert, it seemed they were adding to an already crowded backfield of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. The Panthers, however, don't necessarily view Tolbert in the same light as their two top backs.

"Everybody keeps saying he's a tailback. But he's a fullback to us," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said of Tolbert at last week's NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Fla. according to the Charlotte Observer. "Because again, we saw how we had used him in San Diego. We just thought this is a guy we'd love to have. ... If you can put an athletic, play-making fullback there, I think it helps you."

Rivera was part of the Chargers' coaching staff from 2007 to 2010; Tolbert had been with San Diego since 2008.

The Panthers' intention to feature Tolbert as a fullback makes it seem they will be unlikely to move Stewart, who has one year left on his rookie contract. When the Panthers first signed Tolbert, there was speculation that Stewart could become expendable, but general manager Marty Hurney recently reiterated to the Observer that the team isn't shopping Stewart.

The Panthers had one of the more potent offenses in the league last season, but Rivera said they lacked a true fullback.

"If you look at what happened last year with our offense, we didn't have a pure, true fullback in terms of a guy that has the ability to not just block, but go out into the routes, run the flat route and catch the ball, run the pivot route and catch the ball, pass protect on a consistent basis," Rivera said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828033ee/article/panthers-plan-to-use-tolbert-as-fullback-rivera-says

SteelAddicted
04-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Well, it was worth 7 pages of good discussion. I hope Barron Batch can really shine this year. He was looking great in camp before his injury.

Discipline of Steel
04-04-2012, 07:39 AM
That still doesnt change the fact that we need a true fullback.