PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams in many mock drafts

steelblood
03-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I've seen Mike Adams listed for us in some mock drafts. I've even read that we are "high" on him. So, I ask Planet Steelers....
http://www.ihatebikes.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/whatupwiththat.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
He reminds me of another Max Starks type. I don't have a problem taking a Max Starks type where we got Max Starks himself, in the late third round. Don't like him in the first round, though. He's got the size, but not the strength or top-notch movement skills (plus he's had his share of off-the-field issues as well...while not major red flags necessarily, they don't help either).

Shawn
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
If we pick Adams, I shall gut thyself with a rusty spoon. All the talent in the world with NO motivation to be great, to dominate, or to work. No thank you.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
If we pick Adams, I shall gut thyself with a rusty spoon. All the talent in the world with NO motivation to be great, to dominate, or to work. No thank you.

so you really like this kid, huh.

Steelersrock151
03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Not an Adams fan, not at 24. See a lot of people mocking him to us because "The Steelers' o-line sucks". No other reason. If you continue to the second round of the draft, people having us take him have us taking a CB, then a RB in the third round. No concern about true needs or value, just their perceptions of what they think we need. Most of those people also have Adams over Martin, something you never see from the people who are paid to put drafts together.

steelblood
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Not an Adams fan, not at 24. See a lot of people mocking him to us because "The Steelers' o-line sucks". No other reason. If you continue to the second round of the draft, people having us take him have us taking a CB, then a RB in the third round. No concern about true needs or value, just their perceptions of what they think we need. Most of those people also have Adams over Martin, something you never see from the people who are paid to put drafts together.

It isn't just projection. There are real stories that we like him. For instance, ... 'Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline wrote, "Sources tell me Mike Adams was the apple of [the Steelers'] eye" during the Ohio State Pro Day. Adams isn't tough, so it's a bit surprising that Pittsburgh would be interested.' (commentary from Walter Football)

smoke screen? I hope so.

Shawn
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
so you really like this kid, huh.

Eddie, you don't even know how many times I yelled at the TV...usually throwing something because Adams got used like a turnstyle and the D blew up a play on his side. This is a guy who was proclaimed to have all world talent. He half azzed his way through everything and underachieved his entire time at OSU. Last season he was a 4th rounder at best, and that was based on raw potential. After his suspension, he played well mainly because he knew this was his money year. Now he has creeped his way into the first round. I am convinced that once this kid gets paid, he will disappear. We will ache for the days of Stephens. So yeah, I really like this kid. :)

Mister Pittsburgh
03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
I hope he isn't our pick at 24....or at all.

SteelBucks
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
All the talent in the world with NO motivation to be great, to dominate, or to work. No thank you.

He's was maddenly inconsistent at OSU but he's been impressive past few months. Great Senior Bowl practice, Senior Bowl itself, combine and pro day two weeks ago. He's definitely putting in the work...amazing what a paycheck can do to motivate. With all that said though, I don't see the Steelers selecting him at 24. If they go OL, Guard is more of a need than Tackle.

However, if the Steelers end up with two first round picks.....:stirpot

Shawn
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
It isn't just projection. There are real stories that we like him like this one...
More team interest: Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline wrote, "Sources tell me Mike Adams was the apple of [the Steelers'] eye" during the Ohio State Pro Day. Adams isn't tough, so it's a bit surprising that Pittsburgh would be interested.

Steelblood says "ewwww"

Not tough is an understatment. I would use the word soft. I am really hoping that the Steelers watch film instead of a pro day. The film won't lie. Yes, the guy is uber talented, with the physical skills to be elite. But, his two cent head and his work ethic nullify all of that.

IF and that is a HUGE IF...the Steelers could somehow light this kid's fire, he could be very special. But, I just don't see it.

Shawn
03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
He's was maddenly inconsistent at OSU but he's been impressive past few months. Great Senior Bowl practice, Senior Bowl itself, combine and pro day two weeks ago. He's definitely putting in the work...amazing what a paycheck can do to motivate. With all that said though, I don't see the Steelers selecting him at 24. If they go OL, Guard is more of a need than Tackle.

However, if the Steelers end up with two first round picks.....:stirpot

And I agree, when it's money time the guy can play. I just don't think he likes the game, and I think he is allergic to work. So what happens after he gets his paycheck? I suspect he will be a guy who has a good year every 4 years when contract time comes around.

SteelBucks
03-23-2012, 11:57 AM
So what happens after he gets his paycheck?

That's literally the million dollar question.

The only lineman I like coming out of OSU is Brewster. To bad he's a Center but the guy works his tail off.

phillyesq
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Everything I've read about Adams is consistent with Shawn's comments -- tons of natural talent, but no results. Those are the boom or bust type guys you take in the mid rounds, not as a first rounder.

No thank you.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM

If Jonathan Martin somehow fell, I'd take him. Martin and Gilbert would be a solid young OT pair.

pfelix73
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I would be surprised if they took a OT with any of their 1st 3 picks. We have 2 starting OT's and a Maxie waiting in the wings if need be..

Hightower- Round 1.....

Heck, they could surprise us all and take a RB. Maybe the one from Va Tech...

Shawn
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
That's literally the million dollar question.

The only lineman I like coming out of OSU is Brewster. To bad he's a Center but the guy works his tail off.

Yep...good call love Brewster. He will make a team very happy.

steelblood
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
I think some of you are missing my point in posting this. I wasn't advocating for him; I don't want him. I was wondering why we as a team are linked to him and have shown (or feigned) interest. What up with that?

Oviedo
03-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Everything I've read about Adams is consistent with Shawn's comments -- tons of natural talent, but no results. Those are the boom or bust type guys you take in the mid rounds, not as a first rounder.

No thank you.

I agree. If we draft an OL in Round 1 we need a sure thing to make a difference in our poor OL otherwise draft a Guard/OT in Round 2-4. Adams is not even close to a sure thing. IMO from what I saw he isn't as good as Gilbert was coming out and we drafted him at the end of Round 2.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
If we trade back or out of the 1st round...Not at #24.

Shawn
03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
I think some of you are missing my point in posting this. I wasn't advocating for him; I don't want him. I was wondering why we as a team are linked to him and have shown (or feigned) interest. What up with that?

I got that, but the mere mention of Adam's name and it incites my desire to go on diatribes about his inadequacies. Forgive me :)

steelblood
03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
I got that, but the mere mention of Adam's name and it incites my desire to go on diatribes about his inadequacies. Forgive me :)

No problem at all. I still don't see why we'd be interested. Hopefully it is a smoke screen or simply due diligence.

Chadman
03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Why Mike Adams?

The Steelers don't have a genuine LT on the roster. Last year, when Chadman had Gilbert in his Mock draft, you all were "Gilbert is slow", "Gilbert sucks" etc- now you want him as the future LT? And we've gone from "Can't count on Colon" to "We're set at OT"?

Why Adams?

When was the last time the Steelers had a GENUINE shot at one of the top 4 OT's in any draft class?

Go back over the last 5 years- they always draft about the time the 5th or 6th OT comes off the board. For the first time under the Tomlin/Colbert regime, they get a shot at a genuine, top 4 LT in this draft.

Add that to the "No genuine LT" argument from earlier.

Why Adams?

Because it moves Gilbert back to RT, and Colon to RG & suddenly your OL is looking set.

Oh, and Chadman had Adams as his mock #1 pick 2 weeks ago? Good to see the FO is listening!

Chadman
03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
For those that haven't seen him play-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx6k8TkQypk

Dee Dub
03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
19 reps of 225 is way below average for any position on the O-line. Mike Adams is a long ways away from being an NFL starter. And for anyone to draft him in round one is rolling the dice big time on him.

If you look at any of these mock drafts most of them have the Steelers drafting an O-lineman because of the reputation thay have for having a poor O-line. But I really think this is foolish if it means reaching for a player who is probably is the 33-40 best prospect.

It makes no sense for the Steelers to express interest in a player if they actually want him at this stage.

focosteeler
03-24-2012, 01:42 AM
It is hard for me to believe how inconsistant he his on film yet he is still considered a 1st rounder :confused:

steelblood
03-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Last year, when Chadman had Gilbert in his Mock draft, you all were "Gilbert is slow", "Gilbert sucks" etc- now you want him as the future LT? And we've gone from "Can't count on Colon" to "We're set at OT"?

Because it moves Gilbert back to RT, and Colon to RG & suddenly your OL is looking set.

Oh, and Chadman had Adams as his mock #1 pick 2 weeks ago? Good to see the FO is listening!

I think you over-exaggerate the situation a bit. First, not all of us were against Gilbert. Second not all of us think he will be a good LT (he was very good last year, but he struggled against Mario Williams and Robert Mathis == at left tackle he may face that type of talent most weeks).

Still, I get your point. And, I appreciate your third person egomaniacal humor and logic. Well done, Chadman!

Chadman
03-24-2012, 11:12 AM
It is hard for me to believe how inconsistant he his on film yet he is still considered a 1st rounder :confused:

So who has it wrong?

The fans? Or the experts?

Chadman
03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I think you over-exaggerate the situation a bit. First, not all of us were against Gilbert. Second not all of us think he will be a good LT (he was very good last year, but he struggled against Mario Williams and Robert Mathis == at left tackle he may face that type of talent most weeks).

Still, I get your point. And, I appreciate your third person egomaniacal humor and logic. Well done, Chadman!

:D

If you can find another poster on here that liked Gilbert at all, this time last year- please point them out to Chadman...

insanesteelersfan
03-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't touch Adams if he were available in the 7th round! The dude flat out Sucks. He is ultra weak. He is slow. He has Aligator arms. And he is a pure Ghetto Scumbag. I say keep the Gang Banger in the Hood where he belongs!

BradshawsHairdresser
03-24-2012, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't touch Adams if he were available in the 7th round! The dude flat out Sucks. He is ultra weak. He is slow. He has Aligator arms. And he is a pure Ghetto Scumbag. I say keep the Gang Banger in the Hood where he belongs!
I'm getting the impression you don't like him...

Dee Dub
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
So who has it wrong?

The fans? Or the experts?

My question is why do you want the Steelers to use the 24th overall pick on a player who isnt strong (19 reps-225), at a position that requires strength, and a player who on the field was inconsistant? And a player who wont see the field at all in 2012 (Steelers committed to Gilbert and Colon)?

RuthlessBurgher
03-24-2012, 11:47 PM

This part is a relevant football-based opinion: He is ultra weak. He is slow. He has Aligator arms. That's fine, and all are legit justifications for why you wouldn't want him even in the 7th round.

But calling him a Ghetto Scumbag Gang Banger who belongs in the Hood is a bit over the top, no? It's okay to question his judgement or character because of his involvement with the Pryor/Tressel/OSU scandal, but let's not go overboard with the ridiculous name calling, alright?

Chadman
03-25-2012, 12:01 AM
My question is why do you want the Steelers to use the 24th overall pick on a player who isnt strong (19 reps-225), at a position that requires strength, and a player who on the field was inconsistant? And a player who wont see the field at all in 2012 (Steelers committed to Gilbert and Colon)?

Max Starks- long time Steeler OT, has similar size to Adams & completed the sum total of 2 more bench reps. Guys with this body-type, with long arms, they often struggle with putting up numbers on the bench. Chadman knows you know this- you've read it often enough- which makes Chadman think you are finding justification not to want Adams.

As for the consistancy argument- find Chadman a player in this rookie draft class without the word 'inconsistant' written somewhere in their profile. He's obviously consistant enough to be graded as a 1st round player. Watching the film on him- he's a natural LT, something the Steelers do not have. He moves well, and he's faced the best competition that college players can face. And he still comes out with a 1st round grade. How about this- can you prove he's inconsistant?

As for not seeing the field- Pouncey & Gilbert saw the field in their rookie years. What is to say Adams won't?

Not saying there are not holes in his game. But at the same time- he's an elite talent in a position the Steelers rarely get the opportunity to draft elite talent in.

Also, if Tomlin & Co think there is something there, Chadman is happy to go with that.

Chadman
03-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Pure ghetto scumbag? Gang banger?

For what? Tattoo 5? Not exactly beating up old ladies there....

SteelBucks
03-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Since when did Dublin, Ohio become the hood/ghetto? For all of Adams' shortcomings, he is not a bad kid. Idiotic post...you truly are insane.

Dee Dub
03-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Max Starks- long time Steeler OT, has similar size to Adams & completed the sum total of 2 more bench reps. Guys with this body-type, with long arms, they often struggle with putting up numbers on the bench. Chadman knows you know this- you've read it often enough- which makes Chadman think you are finding justification not to want Adams.

As for the consistancy argument- find Chadman a player in this rookie draft class without the word 'inconsistant' written somewhere in their profile. He's obviously consistant enough to be graded as a 1st round player. Watching the film on him- he's a natural LT, something the Steelers do not have. He moves well, and he's faced the best competition that college players can face. And he still comes out with a 1st round grade. How about this- can you prove he's inconsistant?

As for not seeing the field- Pouncey & Gilbert saw the field in their rookie years. What is to say Adams won't?

Not saying there are not holes in his game. But at the same time- he's an elite talent in a position the Steelers rarely get the opportunity to draft elite talent in.

Also, if Tomlin & Co think there is something there, Chadman is happy to go with that.

So is Max Starks great? Was he ever great? No not at all. He was a servicable player for a while. And you are forgetting one very important fact about Max Starks...he was a 3rd round pick, number 75 overall (not the 24th overall pick).

Thank you for proving my point about Adams. ;)

insanesteelersfan
03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Just for your information, Mike Adams, when he was 16 was arrested and charged for trying to sell two hand guns while in High School. He took a plea as a Juvenile, and his record was later explunged. Adams has also had several Drinking violations, and one Marijuna incident while at Ohio State BEFORE any of the getting gifts for Jersies thing.

Ahhh No...Adams IS exactly what I called him. A pure Ghetto Scumbag. And I would be more then HAPPY to say that in his Big Ole FAT FACE!!

Chadman
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
So is Max Starks great? Was he ever great? No not at all. He was a servicable player for a while. And you are forgetting one very important fact about Max Starks...he was a 3rd round pick, number 75 overall (not the 24th overall pick).

Thank you for proving my point about Adams. ;)

Only comparison Chadman made between Adams & Starks was size & bench press.

But you go on & read it however you like.

Dee Dub
03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Only comparison Chadman made between Adams & Starks was size & bench press.

But you go on & read it however you like.

Back tracking Chadman? You give the comparison but when I remind you that Starks was a 3rd round pick all of a sudden there isnt a comparison? See, there is justification for why Starks was a 3rd round pick when he came out but there is absolutely none for Adams to be a first round (#24 overall). 19 reps and an inconsistant performance at Ohio State speakes volumes.

But you go ahead and keep him as your first round pick for the Steelers. :D

birtikidis
03-25-2012, 09:24 PM
I never advocate taking a sOSU guy, but I think chadman has some cred on this one. Comparing him to Starks based on his bench was not chadmans point. We knew when he was at UF that max had slow feet, lunged and had difficulty getting downfield on combo blocks. None of those seem to be Adams problem. I wouldn't take him before the top ranked guards or Hightower, but maybe as ,y 3rd choice in the first. I could see him getting playing time. When's the last time colon finished a camp let alone a season?

insanesteelersfan
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
There is NO Comparing Adams to Starks Max was way better technically then Adams. And Starks was way stronger as well. Starks had a 7ft, 7 wingspan. Adams doesn't even have a 6ft, 2 1/2 wingspan. Very very short armed O-Linemen with zero power. He will be a total Bust! Kris Farris 2.0!!

focosteeler
03-25-2012, 11:44 PM
There is NO Comparing Adams to Starks Max was way better technically then Adams. And Starks was way stronger as well. Starks had a 7ft, 7 wingspan. Adams doesn't even have a 6ft, 2 1/2 wingspan. Very very short armed O-Linemen with zero power. He will be a total Bust! Kris Farris 2.0!!

You do realize that Adams has 34in arms (measured at the combine, i think they know what they are doing) and that if Adams wingspan was 6ft 2inches with his correct arm length his shoulders would be 6 inches apart?? I think you are sadly sadly mistaken. Might help to do a little research.....

insanesteelersfan
03-26-2012, 12:20 AM
You do realize that Adams has 34in arms (measured at the combine, i think they know what they are doing) and that if Adams wingspan was 6ft 2inches with his correct arm length his shoulders would be 6 inches apart?? I think you are sadly sadly mistaken. Might help to do a little research.....

Adams arms measured 33 1/4 at Indy. Brandon Washington, who was almost 5 inches shorter measured about the same. And almost every OL who were 2 to 4 inches shorter had as long, or longer arms. Max, who was tall as well weighed almost 35 Lbs more then Adams, and still ran faster drills then Adams, as well as having much greater strength. Look, Tomlin and the steelers can like the guy all they want. But bottom line is forget Adams inconsistent play....focus on his MANY off the field Incidents and his Bad Character. I mean if the steelers and the Rooney's are ALL about Character...like they say. Then how can this Clown even be in consideration ?

Adams = Pure Ghetto Scum....Bottom line!!

Chadman
03-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Back tracking Chadman? You give the comparison but when I remind you that Starks was a 3rd round pick all of a sudden there isnt a comparison? See, there is justification for why Starks was a 3rd round pick when he came out but there is absolutely none for Adams to be a first round (#24 overall). 19 reps and an inconsistant performance at Ohio State speakes volumes.

But you go ahead and keep him as your first round pick for the Steelers. :D

:p

No, no backtrack- just clarifying the comparison.

Max Starks & Mike Adams are comparable in size & strength- much in the same way Adrian Peterson & Jonathon Dwyer are of comparable size.

Adams, in Chadman's opinion, is a superior talent to what Max Starks was, coming out of college. But Chadman hadn't made that comparison, had he, until now?

;)

Chadman
03-26-2012, 01:53 AM
"Adams arms measured 33 1/4 at Indy" - Actually, try 34" officially..

"Brandon Washington, who was almost 5 inches shorter measured about the same." - 33" to be sure..

Adams is 6'7" & Washington 6'3".

"Max, who was tall as well weighed almost 35 Lbs more then Adams, and still ran faster drills then Adams, as well as having much greater strength" - Max ran a 5.56 officially, Adams ran 5.40. Max did 21 reps, Adams did 19. Max weighed 335lbs at the combine. Adams 323lbs.

Don't let little things like 'truth' cloud your judgements though... :)

Shawn
03-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Chadman, I am a Buckeye fan and have watched most of his college games. I didn't just read a draft analysis and look at a youtube video break down of his play. I have had my eye on him for quite sometime because he came to OSU with much fanfare and hub bub. He was the next coming of Orlando Pace...big, athletic, and supposedly a blue chipper. But, he has underperformed until his senior year at OSU. He has been a turnstyle for opposing D's for years. If you want to see a guy dominate an OLman...then on the next play get abused by the same lineman...look no further than Adams. He is Kemo 2.0, when it comes to inconsistency. So, you can't just watch his highlights...his highlights are great and all but it's that play to play inconsistency that kills him. He lacks motivation, a mean streak and a work ethic.

He showed us this year that he can be a special LT in the NFL, IF he were properly motivated. That is a HUGE IF from a first round pick. When a player only turns it on during money years, a red flag waves in my head.

Oviedo
03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
I think some Tier 2 OTs like Zebrie Sanders and Bobby Massie would be just as good or better than Adams. It is not that Adams lacks the physical ability, but as many have posted he has not translated that into peformance to to warrant being a #1. IMO he could be Jamain Stephens all over again...look like Tarzan play like Jane!!!!!!

phillyesq
03-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Chadman, I am a Buckeye fan and have watched most of his college games. I didn't just read a draft analysis and look at a youtube video break down of his play. I have had my eye on him for quite sometime because he came to OSU with much fanfare and hub bub. He was the next coming of Orlando Pace...big, athletic, and supposedly a blue chipper. But, he has underperformed until his senior year at OSU. He has been a turnstyle for opposing D's for years. If you want to see a guy dominate an OLman...then on the next play get abused by the same lineman...look no further than Adams. He is Kemo 2.0, when it comes to inconsistency. So, you can't just watch his highlights...his highlights are great and all but it's that play to play inconsistency that kills him. He lacks motivation, a mean streak and a work ethic.

He showed us this year that he can be a special LT in the NFL, IF he were properly motivated. That is a HUGE IF from a first round pick. When a player only turns it on during money years, a red flag waves in my head.

Sounds like a fine gamble in the second round, but hardly the type on whom you would spend a first round pick.

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Chadman appreciates your view of Adams Shawn- but there is one nagging thing going on in Chadman's head- if he's so inconsistant, if he's as bad as a few on here think he is- why is he considered a 1st Round talent? He must have done something right...right?

Keep in mind, quite often the most critical & negative analysis of a player or team will come from the very fans that support them- we paint these guys up as Gods & if they don't perform to the level we expect- they are failures. Willie Colon comes to mind- a guy routinely bashed on this board, yet valued highly by the guys making decisions.

Obviously, Chadman hasn't got the same experience or tools at hand to give great analysis on Adams as you do. That isn't in question at all. Yet, to counter your argument about Adams only 'switching it on' last season- the 'highlights' clip Chadman added earlier was from 2010, not 2011. While he has some negative plays in there- he still makes a number of dominant plays.

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I think some Tier 2 OTs like Zebrie Sanders and Bobby Massie would be just as good or better than Adams. It is not that Adams lacks the physical ability, but as many have posted he has not translated that into peformance to to warrant being a #1. IMO he could be Jamain Stephens all over again...look like Tarzan play like Jane!!!!!!

Agreed Ovi- if the Steelers pick a D-player in Round 1 (Ahem..Jerrel Worthy...), then Sanders, Massie or Washington would be good selections in Round 2. That said- Sanders & Massie may be no better than Marcus Gilbert- and in fact may be better served at RT instead of LT, so they may not actually be great selections for the Steelers at this stage.

birtikidis
03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Chadman, we may need a RT at some point, remember all those injuries to Colon?
I'd still like to see us get a guard in the first 3 rounds. I'm not as worried about tackle as some. If we get a true guard and something happens to Colon, bump Foster out to Tackle. It's his natural position after all.

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Chadman, we may need a RT at some point, remember all those injuries to Colon?
I'd still like to see us get a guard in the first 3 rounds. I'm not as worried about tackle as some. If we get a true guard and something happens to Colon, bump Foster out to Tackle. It's his natural position after all.

Honestly- there are question marks on all the OL positions outside of Pouncey. Colon & Gilbert are fine players- but in Chadman's opinion, out of position- Colon should move to RG, Gilbert to RT. The question marks start to drop off at that point.

Was watching some youtube footage of Brandon Washington the other day- played LT for Miami & looked pretty good- if a little shorter than you'd hope for...Steelers DID attend Miami's Pro Day with Tomlin, Haley & Kugs...

birtikidis
03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
honestly, I think Colon should be the swing tackle. I wouldn't start him anywhere. I think Gilbert could be fine at LT IF we put a good guard next to him. Our LG has always been a mauler. Rarely do we put a guy there who is known as a good pass blocker. Seems to me, there sure is a lot of space between the LT and LG when the LT has to account for a wide outside speed rush and our LG is routinely beat by the inside blitz by the LB. we also have a lot of trouble picking up stunts because that LG is so weak at pass blocking. See where I'm going here?

Chadman
03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
honestly, I think Colon should be the swing tackle. I wouldn't start him anywhere. I think Gilbert could be fine at LT IF we put a good guard next to him. Our LG has always been a mauler. Rarely do we put a guy there who is known as a good pass blocker. Seems to me, there sure is a lot of space between the LT and LG when the LT has to account for a wide outside speed rush and our LG is routinely beat by the inside blitz by the LB. we also have a lot of trouble picking up stunts because that LG is so weak at pass blocking. See where I'm going here?

It's entirely possible you are correct.....so...Brandon Washington to LG then?

Shawn
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Chadman appreciates your view of Adams Shawn- but there is one nagging thing going on in Chadman's head- if he's so inconsistant, if he's as bad as a few on here think he is- why is he considered a 1st Round talent? He must have done something right...right?

Keep in mind, quite often the most critical & negative analysis of a player or team will come from the very fans that support them- we paint these guys up as Gods & if they don't perform to the level we expect- they are failures. Willie Colon comes to mind- a guy routinely bashed on this board, yet valued highly by the guys making decisions.

Obviously, Chadman hasn't got the same experience or tools at hand to give great analysis on Adams as you do. That isn't in question at all. Yet, to counter your argument about Adams only 'switching it on' last season- the 'highlights' clip Chadman added earlier was from 2010, not 2011. While he has some negative plays in there- he still makes a number of dominant plays.

I don't have to tell the Chadman that LT is a premium position, and that many players grade out as a first round talent who ultimately don't pan out. I have been watching Adams stock for awhile now. Last season he was considered a 3-4th rounder. That was based upon raw physical ability...which he indeed has. It certainly wasn't based on play. After Adams came back from suspension, he played well. He looked really solid. Then comes the Senior Bowl, and again he is the next great LT. No doubt Adams has all the tools to be great. But, does he love the game? Does he love the weight room? Does he love to be coached up? Does he loathe the DLman across from him? Does he want to be a dominant LT? I haven't seen anything within his game that tells me yes to any of those questions.

So, while I get the love affair with his talent. Those of us who had to endure his play over his college career are not so enamored with him. I don't think we have one Buckeye fan that wants to draft him.

Slapstick
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I am a Buckeye fan and I would draft him...

I think Adams is a guy who would respond well if put in the right situation...

birtikidis
03-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Slap, I don't ANYONE who would play hard for OSU. I know I wouldn't... I'd be so ashamed of myself that I wouldn't want ppl to know I was even there.

Shawn
03-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Yeah but Slappy your opinion doesn't carry much weight here...so I wasn't counting you. :D

birtikidis
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Chadman, I'm still holding out hope we can get one of the top guards in this draft. Unfortunately, all the great LT's are long gone when we pick, and I see an immediate need at LB. So, a tackle would be 3rd on my wishlist. Eventually we need to land a good tackle that can be a long term starter. The G from Georgia (his name escapes me right now...) would look great in B&G, if we can't get him, I'd go with Hightower.. and if they're both gone, maybe a tackle at that point. for the record I think Adams will get picked before we pick. A team will reach for him, like every year LT's always do. IDK a lot about Washington...

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
It's entirely possible you are correct.....so...Brandon Washington to LG then?

I'd rather OG Brandon Washington from Miami in round 2 than OT Mike Adams in round 1.

Of course, I think an even better value could be the other Guard named Brandon from the other Miami (Brooks from Ohio) in the 3rd round.

Dee Dub
03-26-2012, 08:36 PM

I dont want to use the 24th overall pick on a guy who needs the right situation in order to respond. That's what mid to late round picks are for. I want a guy who doesnt need it to be a certain situaton in order to reponsd. We are talking about a very important pick for the Steelers. We need it to be a can't miss.

Big difference.

Chadman
03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
I dont want to use the 24th overall pick on a guy who needs the right situation in order to respond. That's what mid to late round picks are for. I want a guy who doesnt need it to be a certain situaton in order to reponsd. We are talking about a very important pick for the Steelers. We need it to be a can't miss.

Big difference.

What constitutes "can't miss"? Chadman sees Hightower as your #1 pick in your mock- but there are questions about his lateral ability & his ability to cover recievers. Is he "can't miss"? There are questions asked about Cordy Glenn's fitness & conditioning. Is he "can't miss"?

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2012, 12:19 AM
What constitutes "can't miss"? Chadman sees Hightower as your #1 pick in your mock- but there are questions about his lateral ability & his ability to cover recievers. Is he "can't miss"? There are questions asked about Cordy Glenn's fitness & conditioning. Is he "can't miss"?

I want to trade up for DeCastro...he's as close as you'll find to "can't miss" in this entire draft. :)

Oviedo
03-27-2012, 07:36 AM

With my meaningless opinion and complete lack of real football knowledge I would like to select with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft---Cordy Glenn as "can't miss." I'd take him over Adams and Hightower in a millisecond.

Shawn
03-27-2012, 08:21 AM
With my meaningless opinion and complete lack of real football knowledge I would like to select with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft---Cordy Glenn as "can't miss." I'd take him over Adams and Hightower in a millisecond.

Agreed. Glenn would be my pick as well.

Slapstick
03-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Big difference.

There is no such thing as a "can't miss" draft pick in the second half of the first round...there are either questions about work ethic (Adams, Glenn) or athletic ability (Hightower) or both...if there were fewer questions, they would be early first round picks...

The Steelers have made a living off of drafting capable starters in the first round, especially during the Colbert era...whether they choose Adams, Glenn or Hightower in the 1st, I have faith in the organization and their track record that the choice will be the right one...

Chadman
03-27-2012, 08:51 AM
There is no such thing as a "can't miss" draft pick in the second half of the first round...there are either questions about work ethic (Adams, Glenn) or athletic ability (Hightower) or both...if there were fewer questions, they would be early first round picks...

The Steelers have made a living off of drafting capable starters in the first round, especially during the Colbert era...whether they choose Adams, Glenn or Hightower in the 1st, I have faith in the organization and their track record that the choice will be the right one...

Now we're talking. If the Steelers are showing interest in Adams, Chadman is willing to trust their judgement in him.

Sugar
03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

There's no such thing as "can't miss" anywhere in the draft (see Couch, Tim or Russell, JaMarcus).

I too have faith in the organization to do the right thing here. They have proven themselves over and over. They know the real needs of this team and the type of men they want wearing it's uniform. That said, I would love it if we could get Keuchly as the QB for this Defense, though I know it's probably a dream.

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
The latest Drafttek projection had Kuechly falling to us at #24 (of course, Draftek, while a neat little idea of a program, typically sucks when it comes to ranking players).

grotonsteel
03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Now we're talking. If the Steelers are showing interest in Adams, Chadman is willing to trust their judgement in him.

Well Steelers are showing more interest in Mike Adams compared to Donta Hightower at the moment. Still lot of time left for the draft.

Mike Tomlin, Todd Haley and company visited Ohio State Pro-Day. Now Mike Adams visits Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/3/27/2905678/2012-nfl-draft-steelers-visits-mike-adams-derek-wolfe-ty-hilton

Scott Brown of the Trib has some news regarding 2012 NFL Draft prospects in whom the Steelers might be interested. The Steelers have recently had visits with three players from outside Pittsburgh, and one of those (http://twitter.com/ScottBrown_Trib/status/184623594863734784) was Ohio State’s Mike Adams, an offensive lineman who looks like a likely first-round pick.
The other two were (http://twitter.com/ScottBrown_Trib/status/184624231194181632) Cincinnati defensive end Derek Wolfe and Florida International wideout T.Y. Hilton. The Steelers love their defensive linemen, of course, but Wolfe’s visit is still a bit surprising — the Steelers need a nose tackle, but not so much a defensive end, since two of their last three first-round picks have been defensive ends. I can’t find anything to suggest that Wolfe can be an NFL nose tackle. He’s a likely mid-round pick.
Hilton also will likely be a mid-round pick. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Steelers take a wide receiver at some point after the first couple rounds, since the team can use a bit of depth behind Mike Wallace (assuming he returns), Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

Shawn
03-27-2012, 04:34 PM

If the Steelers are truly interested (which I think it's more curiosity than true interest)...but if they are I will agree with you. As much as I have watched the Buckeyes and Adams, if the Steelers think he is the man, then based on history I am bound to be wrong.

ramblinjim
03-27-2012, 05:57 PM
If the Steelers are truly interested (which I think it's more curiosity than true interest)...but if they are I will agree with you. As much as I have watched the Buckeyes and Adams, if the Steelers think he is the man, then based on history I am bound to be wrong.

That's it, we're putting Shawn down as "maybe" then for Mike Adams with the 1st Round pick! :cool:

Chadman
03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
So they went 'en masse' to his Pro Day, and now they bring him in for a visit.

Chadman is guessing he's in "The 1st Round Bubble".

Shawn
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I think they see first round talent, and are looking at him closer. My opinion is when they look closer they will see a guy who doesn't want to be great.

SteelBucks
03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
So they went 'en masse' to his Pro Day, and now they bring him in for a visit.

Chadman is guessing he's in "The 1st Round Bubble".

I'm always in favor of drafting Buckeyes...even Mike Adams.

SteelBucks
03-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Slap, I don't ANYONE who would play hard for OSU. I know I wouldn't... I'd be so ashamed of myself that I wouldn't want ppl to know I was even there.

Ironically, I feel the same way about Florida.

RuthlessBurgher
03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
I think they see first round talent, and are looking at him closer. My opinion is when they look closer they will see a guy who doesn't want to be great.

The visits are more about getting to know a guy's personality. If you already know a guy is a born leader with charisma and fantastic work ethic, there is no reason to bring him in for a second look. If you already know a guy is a thug or a prima donna or a clubhouse cancer, there is no reason to bring him in for a second look. It's the guys on the fence that you want to see a little bit more of...they'll either impress you, or confirm some of your worries coming in...50/50 shot. After this visit, when they see how he interacts with staff during his visit, they could confirm solid interest in the guy, or conversely send him tumbling down our draft boards...we'll see.

steelz09
03-27-2012, 09:01 PM
I would ask myself again... what is Tomlin's long term strategy of this team w/ this selection?

You say Gilbert is moving to LT which I think might be a mistake.... you have an overpaid Willie Colon who will play RT. Both are young and both are expected starters.... I'm not saying draft for need but I also don't see the strategy in the LT 1st round draft pick unless someone elite drops.

Chadman
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I would ask myself again... what is Tomlin's long term strategy of this team w/ this selection?

You say Gilbert is moving to LT which I think might be a mistake.... you have an overpaid Willie Colon who will play RT. Both are young and both are expected starters.... I'm not saying draft for need but I also don't see the strategy in the LT 1st round draft pick unless someone elite drops.

Only 2 days ago the idea of moving Colon inside to OG was discussed by Kevin Colbert, and from memory the idea of playing Gilbert at OG was discussed as well. Best 5 OL will play, Chadman would assume.

SteelBucks
03-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Some, Mel Kiper for one, don't believe Adams will stay at Tackle for long and will eventually move to LG. Maybe the Steelers feel the same.

focosteeler
03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Some, Mel Kiper for one, don't believe Adams will stay at Tackle for long and will eventually move to LG. Maybe the Steelers feel the same.

just me, but I prefer my guards to have a nastier demeanor on the field than Adams appears to have

Chadman
03-27-2012, 10:00 PM
just me, but I prefer my guards to have a nastier demeanor on the field than Adams appears to have

Personally- Chadman thinks Adams is too long limbed & tall to play OG as well as he plays OT- he won't get the leverage required.

Besides, if you take the 'consistancy' issue out of the conversation- he's an elite talent at OT. Neither Gilbert or Colon are elite talents- more your hardworking types.

steelz09
03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Only 2 days ago the idea of moving Colon inside to OG was discussed by Kevin Colbert, and from memory the idea of playing Gilbert at OG was discussed as well. Best 5 OL will play, Chadman would assume.

I disagree. I've seen many, many instances on both offense and defense where the "best players" don't play or play enough especially o-line. Personally, I think our o-line could go from poor to possibly the top 25% in the league with little effort:

LT: Starks (if healthy) is our best option at LT
LG: DeCastro or Glenn ... either one would be fine by me
C: Pouncey
RG: Colon
RT: Gilbert

Colon isn't good at RT. period. Gilbert played better as a rookie RT than Colon has ever played.... His signing has been just as poor as Kemos previous contract. However, with that being said, I think he would be a really good RG.

focosteeler
03-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Personally- Chadman thinks Adams is too long limbed & tall to play OG as well as he plays OT- he won't get the leverage required.

Besides, if you take the 'consistancy' issue out of the conversation- he's an elite talent at OT. Neither Gilbert or Colon are elite talents- more your hardworking types.

I agree, somewhat similar to Ryan Miller from Colorado (who played Guard in college). Miller doesnt really have any major technique issues. But at 6'7" he takes a while to uncoil from his stance since he is so long, but unlike Adams I dont believe he has the ability to play LT in any capacity. Right tackle maybe after some seasoning.

SteelBucks
03-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I agree, somewhat similar to Ryan Miller from Colorado (who played Guard in college). Miller doesnt really have any major technique issues. But at 6'7" he takes a while to uncoil from his stance since he is so long, but unlike Adams I dont believe he has the ability to play LT in any capacity. Right tackle maybe after some seasoning.

My bad, I reread Kiper's article and he thinks Adams is best suited for RT, not Guard. It's been a long day...need some sleep. ;)

Djfan
03-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I am the lamest judge of college talent by the claim of some (one of them is me), but that video didn't make me stand up and get happy. He seemed to have good natural squaring up skills, but when any technique was applied - spin move, swim, stop and go, etc. - he didn't seem to have the reaction. Also, some of his end stopping up skills to break runners outside looked like they would have been called holding in the NFL. Unless he played against Harrison, of course. Much of that could be coached, but first round seems like a reach.

Also, Chadman, you keep saying first round, but didn't the end of the video say second round projection? And, isn't it possible that the high praises for him are because the rest of the LTs are just not that great? Maybe this ranking is because he is the best of the so-so LTs in the draft.

Foco, going off of just position, I like your mock. I really can't give too much about the guys you actually named, but feel you addressed the needs as I see them. Is that Penn State NT just a project?

Chadman
03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Also, Chadman, you keep saying first round, but didn't the end of the video say second round projection? And, isn't it possible that the high praises for him are because the rest of the LTs are just not that great? Maybe this ranking is because he is the best of the so-so LTs in the draft.

The video is also from 2010.

Every draft website- every one- has Adams as a 1st Round pick. Either all the 'experts' know nothing, or all of our 'experts' are using bias to judge a player.

Shawn
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
What I have a hard time understanding is how Adams shoots up from a 3rd-4th round draft pick to a solid first...after half a season and a good Senior Bowl. I suppose that is what is confusing me. And it's not like he dominated his senior season. Maybe my very untrained eyes just are not seeing what they are seeing, but I am convinced that they are looking at a paper LT. He has all the measurables, played in a top program against top talent, and played during money time. But, I can't get the visions of him getting abused like a turnstyle out of my head. I suppose I'm just wrong.

Chadman
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
What I have a hard time understanding is how Adams shoots up from a 3rd-4th round draft pick to a solid first...after half a season and a good Senior Bowl. I suppose that is what is confusing me. And it's not like he dominated his senior season. Maybe my very untrained eyes just are not seeing what they are seeing, but I am convinced that they are looking at a paper LT. He has all the measurables, played in a top program against top talent, and played during money time. But, I can't get the visions of him getting abused like a turnstyle out of my head. I suppose I'm just wrong.

No, not necessarily at all. There certainly are questions about his consistancy. That being said, there's always a strong market for experienced, talented 6'7" LT's in the NFL.

Chadman's only question, really, is- are the anti-Adams/pro-Adams people looking at him the same way as people that either follow Ohio St, or people that have an adverse dislike for all things Ohio St- in the end, both demographics are likely to feel some bias- good or bad- for Mike Adams.

Much in the way most of us on here are convinced James Harrison is not guilty of playing dangerously, yet nearly every other team's supporters &, of course, the NFL themselves, see him as a cheap-shot artist. Who has it right?

Time to re-quote Bill Cowher- "You're never as good as you think you are, you're never as bad as they say you are".

Oviedo
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM

Yep, but I would qualify that they need to be mean but with a brain unlike Kemo. At Guard you want someone who can overpower a man when required. I have never seen anything from Adams that says overpowering.

Dee Dub
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM

I can answer that. It all started when he showed up at the Senior Bowl. It's called the eye-ball test. Physically (in shorts and a tee-shirt), he looks like the prototypical LT but as you have pointed out many times Shawn, it's more of what is in Adams head and heart that is his what makes him a below average prospect. If you go to the tape which I have many times you will see major inconsistency. His set up in pass blocking is 10 different ways throughout a game. He struggles mightily versus the speed rush off the edge. He looks lazy at times or maybe just not driven. And when he does set up right he generally doesn't stay on his block long enough. Regardless I could care less what experts say I've seen it with my own eyes. He isn't a quality first round talent in my opinion.

Dee Dub
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
No, not necessarily at all. There certainly are questions about his consistancy. That being said, there's always a strong market for experienced, talented 6'7" LT's in the NFL.

Chadman's only question, really, is- are the anti-Adams/pro-Adams people looking at him the same way as people that either follow Ohio St, or people that have an adverse dislike for all things Ohio St- in the end, both demographics are likely to feel some bias- good or bad- for Mike Adams.

Much in the way most of us on here are convinced James Harrison is not guilty of playing dangerously, yet nearly every other team's supporters &, of course, the NFL themselves, see him as a cheap-shot artist. Who has it right?

Time to re-quote Bill Cowher- "You're never as good as you think you are, you're never as bad as they say you are".

I could careless what school Adams played at. When I look at him I look at him as a player possibly for my favorite NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers. Having gone to ASU you think I like Georgia and Alabama? Nope...but I have been all over Cordy Glenn and Donta Hightower. Why? because of what they have done on the field. Not because of their college team.

steelz09
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I could careless what school Adams played at. When I look at him I look at him as a player possibly for my favorite NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers. Having gone to ASU you think I like Georgia and Alabama? Nope...but I have been all over Cordy Glenn and Donta Hightower. Why? because of what they have done on the field. Not because of their college team.

I would take Glenn or Hightower over Adams.. no question.

focosteeler
03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I am the lamest judge of college talent by the claim of some (one of them is me), but that video didn't make me stand up and get happy. He seemed to have good natural squaring up skills, but when any technique was applied - spin move, swim, stop and go, etc. - he didn't seem to have the reaction. Also, some of his end stopping up skills to break runners outside looked like they would have been called holding in the NFL. Unless he played against Harrison, of course. Much of that could be coached, but first round seems like a reach.

Foco, going off of just position, I like your mock. I really can't give too much about the guys you actually named, but feel you addressed the needs as I see them. Is that Penn State NT just a project?

Thanks :Cheers , I feel its a pipe dream but I can always hope....
I had to change it when I realized that the Jets traded away the 4th rounder that was included in my 'trade' when they got Tebow :HeadBanger. Luckily Ruthless did the work and the math so I didn’t have to. I still think it is good but I liked it better before the Jets ruined my plans.
In regards to Damon Harrison (William Penn, NAIA) I am torn between him and a guy Charles Deas (Shaw, Div II) they both offer a lot of potential, despite coming from a small schools. I think that both are developmental guys. I dont think they have a chance of getting drafted so neither are in my new mock. I would like to bring them both into camp, keep one of them on the PS and one on the roster. See how a proper position coach and weightroom can develop them. I think this season especially if we don't draft one early on, there is no such thing as too many Nose Tackles early on in the year

focosteeler
03-29-2012, 11:20 PM

I think that Adams is one of those guys that you need to forget his senior bowl and focus on the tape. Half of the tape I see he does nothing becaue the d-lineman he is supposed to be blocking is just working contain on Pryor. I will admit that I havent seen much film from this year. I think the senior bowl, combine is the time to find those guys who were covered up by a subpar team, small school/conference or playing out of position.

Chadman
03-29-2012, 11:34 PM

That's cool- some have mentioned that they are OSU fans, or would or would not draft players based on what college they played for. Obviously not every statement made will relate to every poster on the forum.

Dee Dub
03-30-2012, 12:34 AM
That's cool- some have mentioned that they are OSU fans, or would or would not draft players based on what college they played for. Obviously not every statement made will relate to every poster on the forum.

You're alright Chadman. I respect you. You are solid poster. Question...is that you in your signature with the horse?

If so cool..you look like you belong on the HBO series.."Luck". :)

Chadman
03-30-2012, 01:48 AM
You're alright Chadman. I respect you. You are solid poster. Question...is that you in your signature with the horse?

If so cool..you look like you belong on the HBO series.."Luck". :)

That is Chadman's horse- a nice little 2 year old filly by Snippetson. She's in her final preparation at the moment with a look to running barrier trials soon & then hopefully getting a race within the next couple of months. Chadman is a first-time owner, so it's all a little exciting at the moment, can't wait to see how she competes.

Chadman
03-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Oh- and yes, that is Chadman too...

Oviedo
03-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh- and yes, that is Chadman too...

I pictured a bush hat, big knife and a pet Kangaroo. Go figure:D

Chadman
03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I pictured a bush hat, big knife and a pet Kangaroo. Go figure:D

We Aussies wear that for our special occasions..

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks :Cheers , I feel its a pipe dream but I can always hope....
I had to change it when I realized that the Jets traded away the 4th rounder that was included in my 'trade' when they got Tebow :HeadBanger. Luckily Ruthless did the work and the math so I didnít have to. I still think it is good but I liked it better before the Jets ruined my plans.
In regards to Damon Harrison (William Penn, NAIA) I am torn between him and a guy Charles Deas (Shaw, Div II) they both offer a lot of potential, despite coming from a small schools. I think that both are developmental guys. I dont think they have a chance of getting drafted so neither are in my new mock. I would like to bring them both into camp, keep one of them on the PS and one on the roster. See how a proper position coach and weightroom can develop them. I think this season especially if we don't draft one early on, there is no such thing as too many Nose Tackles early on in the year

We seem to be on the same wavelength regarding the draft this year, foco...same trades, many of the same players...I like the way you think. ;) I ended up changing my sig mock (yet again) to make it simpler by just giving our #1 and #2 to Dallas for their #1 (I posted a huge rambling stream of consciousness post about it in the NFL draft sections that no one will probably read).