PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Wants More than Fitz

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
According to Bouchette:

Ed: Wallace Wants More than Fitz? (http://www.planetsteelers.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115456-ed-wallace-wants-more-than-fitz)
Thursday, 22 March 2012 07:40
Written by Ed Bouchette [/URL]

Good morning,
Maybe the reason no team has either signed Mike Wallace or come close to it is his asking price.
This morning comes a report from Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee that San Francisco 49ers inquired about Wallace in the first week of free agency but were taken aback by his asking price. Wallace supposedly wants more than Larry Fitzgerald’s eight-year, $120 million contract!
Here’s the story: [url]http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html (http://www.planetsteelers.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=7c2c159fa8bcec4d851d55aa7b06022150f5b757)

If this is true, Wallace really needs to adjust his expectations. That said, I'm still fine with the Steelers keeping him for two more years -- this year with the tender, next year with the tag, and then taking the third round comp pick when he walks.

Oviedo
03-22-2012, 08:02 AM
According to Bouchette:

If this is true, Wallace really needs to adjust his expectations. That said, I'm still fine with the Steelers keeping him for two more years -- this year with the tender, next year with the tag, and then taking the third round comp pick when he walks.

If true, Wallace can take his butt out of town and don't let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way out. This is just rumor, but fear of this scenario is the basis of why so many fans were saying they would take the Round 1 pick versus having him walk next year for nothing.

If the numbers are even off by 33% then that is still more than what the Steelers will pay Wallace and he will be leaving after being franchise tagged next year. I also wouldn't count on the tag next year because the signings that took place this year could raise the WR tag number to near $10M. We still won't have that much cap space next year.

Sugar
03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Is that what he wants to be paid to play or is that what he wants to leave the Steelers?

Oviedo
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Is that what he wants to be paid to play or is that what he wants to leave the Steelers?

So you think he wants $120M from 31 other teams in the NFL and $40M from the Steelers? I think he wants Vincent Jackson money at over $50M for 5 years. Sorry, but no WR is worth that. THat is franchise QB money.

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 08:11 AM
If true, Wallace can take his butt out of town and don't let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way out. This is just rumor, but fear of this scenario is the basis of why so many fans were saying they would take the Round 1 pick versus having him walk next year for nothing.

If the numbers are even off by 33% then that is still more than what the Steelers will pay Wallace and he will be leaving after being franchise tagged next year. I also wouldn't count on the tag next year because the signings that took place this year could raise the WR tag number to near $10M. We still won't have that much cap space next year.

If they want to make it happen, they can. Foote and Hampton will come off the books, as will the dead money left over from the guys that were cut. Some guys are in for huge raises, but if you restructure them, pushing the hit back to when the cap is set to explode, the Steelers could make room.

They can pay Wallace a bargain rate this year and then let him play next year under the tag or trade him.

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
So you think he wants $120M from 31 other teams in the NFL and $40M from the Steelers? I think he wants Vincent Jackson money at over $50M for 5 years. Sorry, but no WR is worth that. THat is franchise QB money.

Jackson doesn't have much guaranteed money. He can be cut after the first two years quite easily.

SteelBucks
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
According to Bouchette:

Wallace wants more than Fitzgerald. I want to win Powerball. Guess what...neither is going to happen.

Seriously though, Wallace is crazy if he thinks he will get that much on the open market. His sole attribute is speed. Learn how to run better routes, learn how to catch the ball in traffic, learn how to be more consistent and then we can start talking about a fat contract.

feltdizz
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
LOL... I wonder if the 49ers are trying to scare other teams off so they can make a move on him in April after the dust has settled?

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2012, 09:08 AM

When I read that, I was thinking the same thing...perhaps he doesn't want to leave the Steelers, so he is telling other teams that in order to consider signing their RFA tender, it will have to be in the Larry Fitz neighborhood, but when he is actually negotiating with the Steelers, it will be more in the Desean Jackson neighborhood (still a hefty sum, since he is Ben's most lethal offensive weapon, but not more than Ben makes himself like the Fitz deal).

D Rock
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I've thought of that possibility too. If he wants to stay with the Steelers, all he has to do is price himself out of range for every other team, then take his time and work out a contract with the Steelers that is good for both sides.

calmkiller
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
The man is crazy if this is true. He is not worth anywhere near that.

steelz09
03-22-2012, 09:56 AM
According to Bouchette:

hahahahahahahahhahahah. Fitz money?!?! This has got to be a bogus report. But I agree with you philly.... worst case scenario, keep him the next 2 years.

steelz09
03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I've thought of that possibility too. If he wants to stay with the Steelers, all he has to do is price himself out of range for every other team, then take his time and work out a contract with the Steelers that is good for both sides.

No offense to you guys but what would be the point in doing that. If he wants to stay w/ the Steelers, he doesn't have to create lies or false expectations w/ other teams. It makes no sense and quite honestly, it's wishful thinking that Wallace has this "master" strategy.

Djfan
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
No offense to you guys but what would be the point in doing that. If he wants to stay w/ the Steelers, he doesn't have to create lies or false expectations w/ other teams. It makes no sense and quite honestly, it's wishful thinking that Wallace has this "master" strategy.

This is it.

costanza2k1
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I understand that he has something you can't teach in speed and with that he takes the top off the coverage and allows others to thrive. BUT I'm still pissed at him for the lack of heart he showed in the SB, many blame the Mendy fumble but I saw a complete lack of effort on his part in that game and on many of his catches last year. If he's not getting a bomb thrown his way he does a poor job or coming back to the ball as a rec should. The other thing that sort of irked me was he picked Keenan Lewis to be in the team MVP...hello??? I just don't think he's all there. He can play out this season and move on for all I care. At this point I need to feel better, the cure is more cowbell...actually Jerrico would be nice or another proven Vet.

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Exactly. He is not required to entertain offers.

Chadman
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Seems a strange demand if there is so little interest in him. The market should/will determine what Wallace gets- not the agent. If the agent is dumb enough to make this demand, find zero offers, and continue to hold this demand- then Chadman would suggest Wallace needs to look at a new agent.

Put it this way- if he came into negotiations with demands at half that- he'd get, say, 4 teams interested. They would naturally bargain his price UP in order to land his signature. If there is no offers at the amount they demand- he'll have to drop his price in order to be signed. Or he could sit out.

But we are not talking about a guy that can rest on his millions- he hasn't made his fortune yet.

When push comes to shove, he won't be getting anything around that number.

This seems like a bad tip for Bouchette

Chadman is going to call this article "Bogus" for now, it simply doesn't make sense.

Ghost
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't want this to sound like "crazy talk" but for that kind of coin; I'd like a WR that actually goes up and fights for a ball and occassionally plays DB when it's not a well thrown pass. I don't want to be unreasonable though...

aggiebones
03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
If he wants Fitz money...then let's just go get Fitz.

SteelBucks
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't want this to sound like "crazy talk" but for that kind of coin; I'd like a WR that actually goes up and fights for a ball and occassionally plays DB when it's not a well thrown pass. I don't want to be unreasonable though...

That's my #1 gripe with his game.

steelblood
03-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Further, he could have drawn several interference penalties last season if he were more aggressive. A few times, he could have taken a direct path to the ball and drawn interference, but instead he attempted to run around the man (who had his back to the ball) or simply gave up when boxed out. Frankly, this is downfield receiver 101.

I love Mike. He is developing nicely. But, there is a ways to go before he can ask for Fitzgerald type money.

Oviedo
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
I understand that he has something you can't teach in speed and with that he takes the top off the coverage and allows others to thrive. BUT I'm still pissed at him for the lack of heart he showed in the SB, many blame the Mendy fumble but I saw a complete lack of effort on his part in that game and on many of his catches last year. If he's not getting a bomb thrown his way he does a poor job or coming back to the ball as a rec should. The other thing that sort of irked me was he picked Keenan Lewis to be in the team MVP...hello??? I just don't think he's all there. He can play out this season and move on for all I care. At this point I need to feel better, the cure is more cowbell...actually Jerrico would be nice or another proven Vet.

If it was just about speed Usain Bolt would be in the NFL. Take a look at those considered the greatest WR in NFL history. How many were "speed guys?" Jerry Rice was not the fastest. I think we could argue that the other aspects of being a receiver like hands, the ability to high point a ball, the ability to run precise routes, body control and the ability to out physical a defender are more important than speed. In those areas I just mentioned Wallace may be third best in our WR group.

feltdizz
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Wait... he picked Keenan Lewis for MVP? WTF? Yeah... I think the rumors of Antonio Brown's emerging hurting his confidence may be true. Vote Ben, Troy, etc... I don't care if Keenan Lewis is your best friend that vote is clueless if it's true.

steelz09
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Wait... he picked Keenan Lewis for MVP? WTF? Yeah... I think the rumors of Antonio Brown's emerging hurting his confidence may be true. Vote Ben, Troy, etc... I don't care if Keenan Lewis is your best friend that vote is clueless if it's true.

I didn't know this either....

Why would he do this? Best friends aside, this isn't pee wee football. Your going to vote a guy MVP of the team when he still hasn't solidified himself as a starting CB. He might be, and hopefully he will be our #2 this coming year... but MVP last year? That's kind of a slap in the face to his teamates that really deserved the vote.

Steelhere10
03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Per Wallace twitter. Don't believe what you hear.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Maybe that pointy-headed thing is more than just a haircut...

Steelgal
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Yeah, maybe he wants Calvin Johnson type money instead ;)

feltdizz
03-22-2012, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers threw out ridiculous numbers to scare other teams off... but if he really voted for Keenan Lewis I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did ask for Larry Fitz type money.

Dee Dub
03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Put me down as one who thinks Mike Wallace deserves top 5 WR dollars. I expect him to do what he has done his first 3 years in the league next season. Continue to improve. And if he does we are looking at career bests. 80-90 receptions? 1300-1500 yards? 12-15 TD's? That is sick production that deserves to be paid top dollar.

In Alcoholic Anonymous they say to think through the drink. Just a thought. ;)

Ghost
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I think Wallace is a tremendous talent but he was not in the top 10 in: Yards, TD's, first downs, average, receptions or yards per game.

Dee Dub
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I think Wallace is a tremendous talent but he was not in the top 10 in: Yards, TD's, first downs, average, receptions or yards per game.

That makes sense. After all he wasn't even the number 1 targeted receiver on his team last year. How many of those top 10 receivers can you say that about? ;) Play the tape through and see the big picture.

phillyesq
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers threw out ridiculous numbers to scare other teams off... but if he really voted for Keenan Lewis I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did ask for Larry Fitz type money.

I can't see how that would scare off other teams. After all, they can simply call his agent to see what he is asking for. It could be leaked to quiet an angry fanbase.

As for the Keenan Lewis thing, I hadn't heard that before, but totally bizarre.

squidkid
03-22-2012, 03:05 PM
if wallace really wanted to stay with the steelers he would have already signed an extension.

Snatch98
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
The Steelers wouldn't have cleared cap room OR mentioned they wanted to retain Wallace if he in fact does want that much money. I think it's totally bogus and hope he signs soon for a respectable contract. I'd have no qualms with the Steelers paying him Vincent Jackson/Desean Jackson money or even a bit more. He's worth that contract.

Sugar
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
if wallace really wanted to stay with the steelers he would have already signed an extension.
Why would you think that? They have had him at a relative bargain, so the guy will want to get paid.

Crash
03-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Wallace is flipping his lid on Twitter. Telling Steelers fans to "blow me".

steelz09
03-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Wow... If "true", he must be following in Pouncey's footsteps. And fans want to call these guys our future leaders??!?!? Leaders don't talk like that to their fans.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Sounds downright Santonioish. Might need to get rid of his ar$$e while we can still get something out of him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
As for the Keenan Lewis thing, I hadn't heard that before, but totally bizarre.

He is just trying to drum up support for his buy Lewis, so Keenan can ask for Darrelle Revis dollars next year. :lol:

Chadman
03-22-2012, 06:57 PM

To be fair he's being abused left, right & center by people that don't know him. He's hardly flipping his lid- but he's reacting for sure.

Perhaps if people didn't think that social media was open licence to abuse 'celebrities', we wouldn't have these kinds of reaction?

ikestops85
03-22-2012, 07:27 PM
To be fair he's being abused left, right & center by people that don't know him. He's hardly flipping his lid- but he's reacting for sure.

Perhaps if people didn't think that social media was open licence to abuse 'celebrities', we wouldn't have these kinds of reaction?

Don't ya just hate when people give you half the story :roll:

Steelgal
03-22-2012, 07:28 PM

If athletes/stars can't handle the criticism (whether it's justified or not) then they shouldn't be ON twitter in the first place. If all else fails, you can ban the people who deserve it and move on. Don't stoop to their level by getting into it on any social media source.

Chadman
03-22-2012, 07:35 PM
If athletes/stars can't handle the criticism (whether it's justified or not) then they shouldn't be ON twitter in the first place. If all else fails, you can ban the people who deserve it and move on. Don't stoop to their level by getting into it on any social media source.

It's not actually critisism Gal, it's abuse. Should he ban them? Probably.

Your argument opens up the whole "how much are celebrities allowed to lead their own lives" thing...really, Wallace should be able to hold a social media account without the fear of being told to "f-off" by people reacting to news stories. It's a bit harsh.

papillon
03-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Mentioning Mike Wallace in the same sentence as Larry Fitzgerald as equals (based on salary only) makes me do this :shock: and then 438

Pappy

Shoe
03-23-2012, 12:37 AM
No offense to you Steelgal, but thats such an antiquatted notion that I hear quite often. Twitter (i.e. social media) is like rock'n roll in the 50's, or whatever the hell they did in the 60's, or 70's, or etc. It is what it is, and you can't fault a young guy/gal for partaking in it.

Having said that, you would like your professional athletes to not resort to going DOWN into the mud with fans. I've always wondered why people in superior positions (as it relates to this situation... not saying pro athletes are superior beings) would lower themselves to that level. THAT I certainly can understand criticizing him (and Pouncey for that matter). It's immaturity run amuck.

SS Laser
03-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Man I HATE TWITTER. I am 34 so maybe it is sign of getting old.:grin:

Steelgal
03-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Chadman and Shoe, I agree with both of your views. Most of the time it's nice being able to interact with your favorite players on a closer-than-usual level like that. I agree that no fans or anyone should be abusing MW like that. It's really a sad reality that some would do that. I just think if you agree to put yourself out there, that you should know not all of it's going to be positive and deal with it better than that. But I guess I need to remember MW is much younger than I am and with age comes more tolerance/not-giving-a-crap about others opinions.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
IIRC, it wasn't long after Santonio, on social media, told a fan to go kill himself that he found himself traded to the Jest. Of course, he had some prior "baggage," but I don't think the Rooneys are very tolerant when it comes to this type of behavior.

steelz09
03-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I have no sympathy for Mike Wallace or any other player that gets backlash from the fans on sites like Twitter.

They know exactly what they're doing just like the fans do.... it's a 2 way street. If MW or other players don't like it, then they should switch to other technological alternatives that are different than Twitter.

Slapstick
03-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Or, if they don't like it, they can tell fans to blow them...

I have no problem with it at all...

If the fan doesn't like it, they can just as easily choose not to read MW's tweets...

steelz09
03-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Or, if they don't like it, they can tell fans to blow them...

I have no problem with it at all...

If the fan doesn't like it, they can just as easily choose not to read MW's tweets...

I understand that but there is one thing I disagree with. The fans can be brutal (i admit) but they are still the customers just like in any other industry. In corprate terms, Mike Wallace is the employee, Tomlin the team lead, Colbert the maanger, and finally the Rooneys are the owners.... If I (as an employee) wrote a mass email, tweet, or wrote on my facebook wall and told my customers to blow me, what would happen in the corporate world? You would be fired that day.

In fact, it's a pretty big problem right now because you hear of teachers and employees in various sectors making comments on social media and then suffering the consequences.

Somehow, athletes think they're above this.... Mike Wallace & Santonio Holmes are no exceptions.

feltdizz
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't think Mike Wallace needs to respond to every jerk on twitter....
it's too easy to print what Mike Wallace says without putting it in context and it makes him look petty.

Professional athletes are supposed to be "professional"... everyone isn't a fan and IMO it's Mike's job to stay above the petty internet fights.

Once ESPN gets a hold of the the tweet/twit? whatever it won't matter what the other guy said. It never matters what the other guy says when it's a fight, feud, etc... anytime an athlete tells a fan to "blow me" or swings on a fan who called him a few names the athlete looks bad.

If Mike Wallace can't handle that some fans on his twitter feed don't like him he needs to delete them because once he says "blow me" and it gets re-tweeted over and over it doesn't matter who was in the wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Man I HATE TWITTER. I am 34 so maybe it is sign of getting old.:grin:

:Agree What happened to the good ol' days when you'd have to tell people to "blow me" or "kill urself" in person?

Slapstick
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I understand that but there is one thing I disagree with. The fans can be brutal (i admit) but they are still the customers just like in any other industry. In corprate terms, Mike Wallace is the employee, Tomlin the team lead, Colbert the maanger, and finally the Rooneys are the owners.... If I (as an employee) wrote a mass email, tweet, or wrote on my facebook wall and told my customers to blow me, what would happen in the corporate world? You would be fired that day.

In fact, it's a pretty big problem right now because you hear of teachers and employees in various sectors making comments on social media and then suffering the consequences.

Somehow, athletes think they're above this.... Mike Wallace & Santonio Holmes are no exceptions.

I am a teacher. I don't have a Twitter account. But, there is a policy specifically in place in my district regarding the use (or misuse) of social media. Just as there are policies in place in corporate america about the use (or misuse) of social media and company e-mail.

Unless the Steelers or NFL have a policy, official or unoffical, about responding to Twitter harassment, Mike Wallace was well within his rights to tell that jagoff to blow him...

Now, should he have done so? No...probably not...

But, that's no reason to run him out of town...

feltdizz
03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
definitely shouldn't run him out of town over a twitter rant but I don't think this should be defended... nothing positive will come from telling people to "blow him" on twitter.

Sugar
03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
definitely shouldn't run him out of town over a twitter rant but I don't think this should be defended... nothing positive will come from telling people to "blow him" on twitter. Something tells me he wasn't really looking for a positive outcome. I could be wrong... ;)

Crash
03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
“@Wallace17_daKid: Lame Ass Nixxas blow me worried bout another man!!#fallback” Must be a dumbass like Pouncey.

phillyesq
03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Must be a dumbass like Pouncey.

So are you defending Pouncey? Or Wallace? Or both?

steelz09
03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
I am a teacher. I don't have a Twitter account. But, there is a policy specifically in place in my district regarding the use (or misuse) of social media. Just as there are policies in place in corporate america about the use (or misuse) of social media and company e-mail.

Unless the Steelers or NFL have a policy, official or unoffical, about responding to Twitter harassment, Mike Wallace was well within his rights to tell that jagoff to blow him...

Now, should he have done so? No...probably not...

But, that's no reason to run him out of town...

In just about any other industry, it's a reason to fire someone immediately. Thats just the reality of it.

feltdizz
03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
I can only think of one industry where it's OK to tell the customer to "blow me"

Crash
03-23-2012, 02:03 PM
So are you defending Pouncey? Or Wallace? Or both?I'm not defending either of them. If they can't take some heat? Stay off social media.

fezziwig
03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
i thought the nfl made the players get drug tested

steelblood
03-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I can only think of one industry where it's OK to tell the customer to "blow me"

http://www.cmt.com/sitewide/assets/img/news/2010/07_10/dollywood/dollywood_07-x600.jpg

BO-BO
03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
This is a ploy I think the Steelers and Wallace are playing. The Steelers wanted to franchise Wallace this year but couldn't, however if a team is willing to give up a first round pick and give him than fitz, God bless them. I think this is just a way to keep Wallace until they can franchise him

SteelAddicted
03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
This is a ploy I think the Steelers and Wallace are playing. The Steelers wanted to franchise Wallace this year but couldn't, however if a team is willing to give up a first round pick and give him than fitz, God bless them. I think this is just a way to keep Wallace until they can franchise him

I agree with you Bo-Bo, it's pretty obvious that Wallace isn't worth Fitz money.... YET. I think this is just a way of keeping Wallace in the burgh.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
In just about any other industry, it's a reason to fire someone immediately. Thats just the reality of it.$$$$$

Do I understand these athletes getting ticked off when some fan antagonizes them? Sure.
Do I understand they want to use harsh language to respond? Yup.

But when you're employed in the business of serving, entertaining, performing, or producing for customers? You just can't do it. You have to restrain yourself (or else keep yourself out of situations where you might go off on somebody). Pointy-head has to realize where the money to pay his salary comes from...and grow up. He's still relatively young; this is a golden opportunity for him to learn and mature. We'll see how he does with the opportunity.

Crash
03-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Pouncey looks like a walking graffiti poster. http://twitter.com/#!/MaurkicePouncey/status/183438221743620096/photo/1

BradshawsHairdresser
03-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Pouncey looks like a walking graffiti poster. http://twitter.com/#!/MaurkicePouncey/status/183438221743620096/photo/1 (http://twitter.com/#%21/MaurkicePouncey/status/183438221743620096/photo/1)
To each his own, I guess, but I don't think it does anything to make him appear either more classy or more intelligent. But maybe those aren't the looks he's going for.

NorthCoast
03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I think is truly amazing the power people put in written words these days merely because it is typed on a screen for all to see. You see, before this era, these same player reactions, emotions, and expressions were all there but gone in the next instant after they were spoken. How many of us have said something verbally only to regret it before the words exit our lips.

The age of twitter and facebook is as much a curse as it is a blessing. .....but i suppose it gives some people something to talk about.

steelersflow
03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I think he looks very attractive to pick up for a 1st round pick to other teams. This makes other teams turned off by the amount of money and his attitude for asking for it. He wants to be a steeler.

Slapstick
03-24-2012, 03:57 PM

How do you know Wallace is speaking to a customer?

"Customer" does not equal "anonymous Twitter tough-guy"...

fordfixer
03-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Good news/bad news about Wallace asking price

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/local/good-news-bad-news-about-wallace-asking-price/article_83106632-f792-51e8-b53e-0862cda91c08.html

Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 11:00 pm

By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com | 0 comments

According to Matt Burrows of The Sacramento Bee (http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html#mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A), the San Francisco 49ers recently inquired into Steelers restricted free agent WR Mike Wallace and were turned away by demands for "a contract that surpasses the eight-year, $120 million deal that Larry Fitzgerald signed last year."

Burrows surmised that the high price tag is the reason there have been no bids made yet for Wallace's services.

And that's the good news for Steelers fans. If Wallace is serious about being paid better than one of the very best receivers in the game, the team will undoubtedly keep its speedy split end this season for at least the price of his RFA tender, $2.7 million.

And now the bad news: If the report is true, the Steelers won't pay him Fitzgerald money and won't be able to extend his contract before the start of the season.

To Wallace's point, he's gained more yardage and scored as many touchdowns as Fitzgerald through each player's first three seasons in the league.

Fitzgerald caught 59 more passes in those three seasons, but at 13.6 per catch he was 71 yards off the 3,206 receiving yards that Wallace has gained in his first three seasons. Wallace is the league's active leader in average yards per catch at 18.7.

Fitzgerald's average per season through eight seasons is 87-1,201-9, and Wallace's is 57-1,069-8.

Last season, Wallace caught 72 passes for 1,193 yards and 8 touchdowns from Ben Roethlisberger. Fitzgerald caught 80 passes for 1,411 yards and 8 touchdowns from Kevin Kolb and John Skelton.

Wallace, by virtue of his alleged demands, actually makes a good argument that he deserves to be paid like Fitzgerald. The stats say Wallace is closer to Fitzgerald than perception (and perhaps common sense) might indicate.

But there's also the perception that NFL defenses have figured out Wallace.

In the first half of last season, Wallace caught 43 passes for 800 yards (18.6) and 6 touchdowns.

In the second half, those numbers dipped to 29-393 (13.6)-2. And then in the playoff game he caught 3 passes for 26 yards.

Did defenses figure him out? Or was Wallace thrown off stride by comments made by his nemesis with the Baltimore Ravens, cornerback Lardarius Webb?

Before playing the Steelers in Game 9 last season, Webb told The Baltimore Sun that the Steelers "have a guy in 84, Antonio Brown, who's better than 17 (Wallace) in all aspects of the game."

This sent Wallace into a profanity-laced tirade against Webb and was followed by a 4-68-1 performance in the Steelers' loss to the Ravens. The performance wasn't up to Wallace's first-half standards, but it was one of his best games in the second half of the season.

That poor second half -- regardless of whether it was due to the rest of the league or his own personal volatility -- is the reason the Steelers cannot, and presumably won't, give Wallace the Fitzgerald money he's apparently seeking.

The Steelers' alternative will be to let Wallace play this season for $2.7 million and then, if he plays well, slap the franchise tag on him next season because the indications and implications out of San Francisco are that he's not going to take any hints from Hines Ward, that Wallace is just another diva wide receiver at his core.

We shall see.

It was the last big week of pro days for college prospects, or at least the kind of pro days that bring Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin out for personal looks.

Last Friday, Tomlin attended the West Virginia pro day and was so impressed by the physical transformation of former H-back Will Johnson that he promised him a roster spot.

After catching 9 passes as a senior in 2010, Johnson went undrafted, but rededicated himself and at the recent pro day the 6-2, 242-pounder put up 30 bench reps and ran the 40 in 4.49. The Steelers signed Johnson and 6-8 receiver Wes Lyons over the weekend.

Perhaps this made WVU's top prospect, Bruce Irvin, upset because the 3-4 OLB with the shady past was arrested Saturday night for breaking a sign at Jimmy Johns Sandwich Shop in Morgantown. For a guy with prison already in his background, this likely finds Irvin off the Steelers' draft board completely.

On Monday, Colbert attended the Iowa pro day for a close look at top-15 candidate Riley Reiff, a left tackle, just in case he falls to pick 24.

On Thursday, Tomlin went to LSU (DT Michael Brockers, WR Rueben Randle) and Colbert went to Stanford to look at another left tackle, Jonathan Martin, who reportedly had a poor day and could possibly fall to pick 24 and force an interesting decision for the Steelers.

feltdizz
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
How do you know Wallace is speaking to a customer?

"Customer" does not equal "anonymous Twitter tough-guy"...

everyone is a customer...

feltdizz
03-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Pouncey looks like a walking graffiti poster. http://twitter.com/#!/MaurkicePouncey/status/183438221743620096/photo/1 (http://twitter.com/#%21/MaurkicePouncey/status/183438221743620096/photo/1)

What the ???? I'm from the older hip hop generation and I understand the kids want to emulate the rap stars but this look is confusing as hell. Nerd glasses... horrible tats and butt cheeks exposed.

Pouncey is fortunate to have a high paying job but I see thousands of kids with this same look and they aren't rapping or playing ball. These kids don't understand how hard they are making it on themselves to get ahead in life.

I'm glad my nephews didn't fall victim to this tattoo, I'm a make it in entertainment, fantasy world.

Slapstick
03-26-2012, 09:37 AM
everyone is a customer...

Except when they aren't...

RuthlessBurgher
03-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Colbert went to Stanford to look at another left tackle, Jonathan Martin, who reportedly had a poor day and could possibly fall to pick 24 and force an interesting decision for the Steelers.

I'd take Martin if he fell to #24. He may not be as imposing of a physical speciman as Mike Adams, but his play on the field is way, way better (one is consistent, the other is consistently inconsistent). Real-life on-field play (you know, actually blocking defenders) is what should count most...not how you look running around cones in spandex). Jonathan Martin is a better LT prospect than Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert and Colon could battle for the RT spot, with the loser kicking inside to guard.

Chadman
03-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd take Martin if he fell to #24. He may not be as imposing of a physical speciman as Mike Adams, but his play on the field is way, way better (one is consistent, the other is consistently inconsistent). Real-life on-field play (you know, actually blocking defenders) is what should count most...not how you look running around cones in spandex). Jonathan Martin is a better LT prospect than Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert and Colon could battle for the RT spot, with the loser kicking inside to guard.

Chadman endorses this sentiment. If Martin was available- fantastic. If not, and Adams was- still fantastic.

The need for LT has been there for a few years. The opportunity to correctly address it has not.

This is the year to do so.